How to prevent yourself from getting 349/350 shards (FAQ)

Vuule

These are just some simple steps to prevent yourself from getting 349/350 shards and save yourself a big hassle of trying to find that last one. (Or even more than 1 if you’re unlucky.)

How do I know how many shards I have?

Press :start: -> [saved Data]. Either choose to load or save the game. Highlight your current save and details beneath it will show up, telling you how many shards you have. However, it doesn’t tell you how many you have found in each district :(

Should I collect them on the go while playing the main story, or after completing the story?

I suggest you do it after beating the main story of the game to keep It organized. You can collect them as you go, to make the game a bit easier, since you’ll gain extra electricity storage capacity. However, the game itself is kind of easy enough already, so there’s no real need for more electricity storage capacity. If you do collect them as you go, make sure to cross them of your map to prevent a lot of hassle! Also, when you move to a new island, check your save for how many shards you have. If you crossed off one to many, or forgot one, you know in which district to look for.

Do they transfer between playthroughs?

No.

Do the shards I get from (side) missions count?

No, they don't count. They will count towards extra electricity storage capacity though.

If you’re going to collect all the shards, use this map (blue map + blue dots, no thank you). You can try to get all the shards by just spamming :l3:, but that will take you probably twice as long, IF you don’t miss any shards. There are a few you can’t find by just spamming :l3: all over the place however!

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/k1ll1ng5pr33/InfamousShardsMap.png

Map by Sevael

If you collect them as you go, every time you collect a shard, pause the game and cross it of the map. If you don’t and later on want to collect them, you might get confused as where it was and cross off the wrong shard on the map, because the shards on the map are the ‘general location’ of that shard.

If you’re going to collect them after beating the story, I advise you to finish most, if not all, the side missions first. My last shard wasn’t visible on the mini-map as a blue dot, because it was hidden under a yellow side mission icon. You can also shockwave (or kill) the person where you start the side mission. He/she will come back later if you need to finish it.

Each district has a certain number of shards. As seen on the map:

• Neon District: 147
  • The Warren: 135
  • Historic District: 68

Once you’ve beaten the story, you should have 1 shard that you had to collect. Now choose a district you want to start collecting the shards first. Use both the map, for the general location and :l3: for the precise location of the shards. Once you’ve found each shard in that district, move to the next district.

Before you do so however, save the game when you found all the shards in one district. Afterwards, don’t touch that save file! Try to find all the shards in the next district and if you want to take a break, make a new save file!

That’s great and all, but I’m stuck at 349/350!

There are a few shards that are hidden. You can’t find these by pressing :l3:, because they’re either to high, too far off land or just won’t show up for some reason. These are few of the common missed shards.

Neon District:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8210756121_310c6c9b0e_z.jpg

• 1. Ok, once more. Blue dots on blue water doesn’t work well! Check the spoiler tag for a video.
    [spoiler=neon] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1mb0eYr88]Neon District - Hidden shard on the water[/ame]

Video by BoneSickle

Note: The shard with the [magenta square] is the very first shard you have to collect.

Hey! What about that shard at the very bottom? I can’t reach it! [Magenta square]

As explained above, it is the first shard you have to collect. Once you collect it, Moya will explain to you what these shards are and do.

Note: If you somehow didn't collect this first shard and just jumped over it, here's a glitch on how to get back there. Check the spoiler tag.

[spoiler=glitch] Credits to dotsnacker from gamefaqs.

Note: You need the Static Thrusters ability, so don't bother trying unless you have it.

• 1. Go to the entrance to the bridge (where the gate is).
  • 2. Stand in the upper-left corner, so that you're against that green metal crate and the fence.
  • 3. Now, while pushing against the green metal crate, wall jump off of it immediately after and push toward the fence. It may take a few tries, but eventually Cole will go through the fence.
  • 4. Cole doesn't like moving forward, so you'll have to jump/glide to move forward. Going along the top of the metal crates in the area is also an option, since he'll run normally along those. At the second fence, you can actually walk through the white crate in the upper-left. (If it wont let you do that, then just repeat the same steps from before.)
  • 5. Continue on again until the next (and last) fence and go to the upper left corner again. Repeat the steps from before to get through.
  • 6. Now that you're at the end, look to your right. See that metal gate? Slowly jump/walk over to it, but don't jump off. Stand just barely on the edge, and then use your camera to look below this platform. You should be able to see another platform just below. Position yourself and then jump and glide down to it. Once you land on that platform, just follow the given path and you'll reach the spot where that shard is.

The Warren:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8211845620_918d6b4d9b_b.jpg

• 1: At the top of the cranes. One of them is located near the water, close to one of the cranes. Again, blue dots on blue water doesn’t work well.
  • 2: Can’t be found with :l3: for some reason. It’s on top of the train tracks, above the water. Check the spoiler tag for a video.
    [spoiler=warren2] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7wBkRRLyM]The Warren - Hidden shard on top of the train tracks, above the water[/ame]

Video by w0rtez

• 3: Blue dot on blue water, you know the drill.
  • 4.1: The prison area. Most of them are in the middle or on top of the prison.
  • 4.2: This one can’t be seen by pressing :l3: while on the ground or next to it. Check the spoiler tag for a video.
    [spoiler=warren42][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgJYolEvdQ]The Warren - Hidden shard on top of the prison[/ame]

Video by ghaffar123456

Historic District:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8210760957_f4f8b12844_z.jpg

• 1: The broken bridge between Warren and Historic District, where you fight Alden.
  • 2: In the water. Always easy to miss, a blue dot in blue water.
  • 3: Probably the highest building in Infamous. It’s next to the location where the game start/ends. Go to the very top. It can’t be seen with :l3: while on the ground. Check the spoiler tag for a video.
    [spoiler=historic] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6juziME9Dpo]Historic District - Hidden shard on top of the highest building[/ame]

Video by tomqman90

Ok, I checked all the places mentioned, but still missing one shard.

Ok, don’t give up! Check every pier at every district. Most people seem to miss one or two at the piers.

Still nothing? Did you beat all the side missions? If not, I advise you to do so, a dot might be hidden under one of them. (And while you’re are it, spam :l3: while finishing them.) Or shockwave/kill the person where you start the side mission. He/she will come back later if you need to finish it.

If you’re still out of luck, there are a few things you can do.

• Grind the train tracks and spam :l3:
  • Check every street, block and jump from building to building.
  • Nothing? Sign up here to the official 349/350 shard club, it might give you that little bit of luck :p
  • Start all over again, with the tips mentioned before.

Edited by Vuule

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice you put it together like that. I hope it will make things easier with those maps. I only have half the shards most from Neon. It's unfortunate there is no ingame stats and it turns out to be more complicated that it should.

Very nice you put it together like that. I hope it will make things easier with those maps. I only have half the shards most from Neon. It's unfortunate there is no ingame stats and it turns out to be more complicated that it should.

Thanks. Yeah, they should've showed you how many shards you have per district. (Just like AC2 did.) However, heard that they made it A LOT easier in Infamous 2

I am going to start this soon so I love the pointers and the maps on easily missed shards. Thanks alot :D

No problem :) Hopefully you'll end up with 350/350. It's such a pain to know you're going to end up with 349/350 :( Such a relief when you do find that last one though. That's why I put this together, to show you're easily able to prevent this and where the common missed shards are. Ofcourse, there's always a possibilty you end up with 349/350, even if you were careful.

Great thread for those with 349/350, I'm happy I found my 350th one just before I was going to join the 349/350 shards club :)

also, if you are going to collect them during the game, it might prove useful to check howmuch shards you have after finishing each island or collect all of them on that island before moving on.

Thanks. Yeah, they should've showed you how many shards you have per district. (Just like AC2 did.) However, heard that they made it A LOT easier in Infamous 2

Yeah.. They learn

There is something else, sometimes i get to a side mission where i have to find a small package and by doing it you are rewarded with 5 shards or so. My question is: do they also counts towards the total?

There is something else, sometimes i get to a side mission where i have to find a small package and by doing it you are rewarded with 5 shards or so. My question is: do they also counts towards the total?

any shards gained in side missions do not count towards the total of 350 shards.

Nice help for anyone still looking for the platinum.

Deserves a sticky?

Great thread for those with 349/350, I'm happy I found my 350th one just before I was going to join the 349/350 shards club :)

also, if you are going to collect them during the game, it might prove useful to check howmuch shards you have after finishing each island or collect all of them on that island before moving on.

Good tip, I'll add it.

Damn, nice work. Did you do this becuz of my recent post about Shards?

This will definetely help me out a ton, thanx. This should be stickied, pronto.:applause:

Did this to prevent anyone getting 349/350. Had 349 myself (only 1 day though) and it's such a pain in the ass :(

They don't count. I'll add the info.

Nice job on the map, I had to mess with the contrast and brightness in Photoshop to make the other ones I found readable.

The map isn't made by me. All I did was cut it into 3 pieces and add the red squares.

Thanks much for the better contrast maps!!!!

I was at 348/350 for a while and searched forever....

I missed that one where you have to jump out on the wooden poles in the water, and one of the crane ones.

Did anyone else enjoy collecting the shards as much as me? I loved it...

Edited by ninjatrigg
Spelling :/

I missed that one where you have to jump out on the wooden poles in the water, and one of the crane ones.

Yea this is a really fun game but I havent started collecting yet. Sometimes you get to not liking a game as much because of finding collectables

Glad you found them all :D

I didn't enjoy them at all :p I don't like collectibles in general :whistle:

Hey k1ll1ing5pr33, could you indicate on the map where the very first shard is. I haven't played this game much due to the collection of blast shards so this would get me motivated to starting the game properly. Thanks.

If you mean the first shard which you are forced to collect at the start of the game, it is the green square at the bottom of the first district

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/k1ll1ng5pr33/InfamousShardsMapMissed3.png

Hey k1ll1ing5pr33, could you indicate on the map where the very first shard is. I haven't played this game much due to the collection of blast shards so this would get me motivated to starting the game properly. Thanks.

As mentioned above, it's the one with the green square. I'll make it a bit more clear ;)

Good idea for a thread. The shard that I was missing (that I found a week ago) was #2 of your hidden shards in the Warren district. I was wondering if it was the contrast on my tv or what, but I couldn't really see the dot.

So I don't need this thread, but I'm glad it's here for other people.

You can skip the first shard if you wanna. All you gotta do is jump over it. I wound't since you gotta go back later and do the glitch to get too it. Just get now PLEASE!

Saw your other thread about it, I'll add it just in case.

How can we tell which shard we have collected if we get one by accident?

I was approaching the mission start for Medical Emergency and accidentally got one.

Only by having a map ready and if you collect one by accident, check the map ingame and look up that shard location on the map provided. If you don't exactly know where it was, make a note of the general area. Once you go search for shards in that area, you know there's one you collected already.

I recommend players to collect every shard on one island before proceeding with the story to next island. That way you avoid having to search through all the islands for one shard in case you miss one. I happened to miss one in the Warren and another one in the Historic District, and I was glad I didn't have to re-search every spot on every island for them.

You could get them all after finishing the game, but it is almost impossible to prevent getting some of them while playing through the game. If you collect all of them on one island before continuing the story, then at least you are 200% sure.