Alien Zombie Megadeath - Road Map and Trophy Guide

Good guide, the strategy is helpful. After getting frustrated on a lot of the blue medals for UFO kills/score, I took a week break then came back and went on a spree to earn all those medals I had missed in about 1 session - primarily using 'kill slowly' and 'kill large groups at once' strategy.

282 medals for me, only 2 left! 12x boss on level 31-alpha and 10x boss on level 24-alpha. These ones have been most difficult for me because of how quickly the number of other enemies/meteors increase after about the halfway point.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good guide, the strategy is helpful. After getting frustrated on a lot of the blue medals for UFO kills/score, I took a week break then came back and went on a spree to earn all those medals I had missed in about 1 session - primarily using 'kill slowly' and 'kill large groups at once' strategy.

282 medals for me, only 2 left! 12x boss on level 31-alpha and 10x boss on level 24-alpha. These ones have been most difficult for me because of how quickly the number of other enemies/meteors increase after about the halfway point.

Only 2 left, that's cool... I think you mean you only have 278 medals, though... or are there actually 284 medals? I thought there were only 70 levels total. :think:

Those boss ones you're missing are very hard.

Yeah the medals for a certain score on blue levels are pretty tough. For some you have to basically have a perfect run and get everything timed right. I've very close on a couple and it can be frustrating.

Edited by Vyrastas

I just counted 71 levels, not including the intro which has no trophies. I'm at 282 total, with 2 left. Maybe you miscounted? Or maybe something opened for me along the way that wasn't apparent until a certain point? *shrug*

I didn't keep very good track of time. I'm sure I'm upwards of 20 hours in total. I stalled a bit on some of the score medals for blue levels (until I used this strategy guide :p), but most of my time has been attempting the more difficult odds and ends.

Still haven't made much progress on these last 2 levels. Getting pretty good at going a long while without being hit, but then things get hectic and I lose all 3 lives within about a 1-2 boss range. Bah.

I just counted 71 levels, not including the intro which has no trophies. I'm at 282 total, with 2 left. Maybe you miscounted? Or maybe something opened for me along the way that wasn't apparent until a certain point? *shrug*

Actually I got 70 from the promotional material for the game... looking again some stuff says "over 70 levels" and some says "70 levels". So I'll update it to 71 and 284, thanks.

As for total time, it's going to vary widely based on the player. I'm sure I'm in the 20-30 hour range already and like I said I'm at some 220 medals. So in reality this is probably anywhere from 30-50 hours.

Finally got 24-alpha (10x green raccoon-y boss). I've been spending most of my hours on 31-alpha (12x purple boss) and only going to 24-alpha sporadically. Tonight I got lucky and had a laser spawn with the last 3 or so rounds of the boss on 24-alpha, so I was able to wipe him and his bats out quickly while taking out one full side of the small monsters, then going from there. (I also now have the 1st leaderboard score for that level by about a 2x factor ;) )

Here's some strategy I've been using on 31-alpha (12x purple boss), with the hours and hours I've put into it so far:

1. Clean up after yourself.

Even on the early levels where a small amount of the shield blobs appear, clear them out either before you kill the boss, or before you turn him from his sphere form back into normal boss form. If you respawn him before getting rid of the shield blobs, you a) end up with a lot of these guys shooting at you, and b) can end up with irregular patterns of them - like sets of them really close to each other so you can't slip between them to take them out, which is annoying.

2. Try not to hit the boss unless you're aiming for it.

Errant shots and the like will produce a handful of tentacles that make life difficult, as well as a few green projectile shots. Add these to a couple rows of the level that may already be chock full of shield blobs (and their projectiles), and you've got hectic conditions. Avoid unnecessary boss-hits when you can.

3. Learn how long it takes to kill a shield blob.

You'll often find yourself on the left side of the screen with some shield blobs walking away from you, and the boss on the other side of them. If you drill into a shield blob with your standard weapon and release a couple more shots past what it takes to kill them, you'll hit the boss and spawn a handful of green projectiles and purple tentacle bits, which make life difficult (see #2 above). If you learn exactly how long to hold down your fire button so that you kill the blob without so much as 1 extra shot, you'll have a much easier time picking off blobs w/o having to scramble away from projectiles/tentacles. Erring on the side of 1 shot too FEW, and then clicking a single shot to kill the blob is oftentimes better than firing 1 shot too many. This proper timing is something I'd consider essential to get through the last 4-5 boss kills, due to the amount of shield blobs that will spawn each time.

4. Missiles are not your friend.

Seriously. Don't even pick them up just so you can shoot some blobs or UFOs. More often than not, you'll just end up with a missle that strays and thinks it's a good idea to hit the boss, leaving you scrambling from projectiles and tentacles.

5. Use caution with triple fire.

Following #2 above (avoid unnecessary boss-shots), the triple shot is all too easy to accidentally peg the boss from just-offscreen while you're trying to take out a shield blob or other enemy. That said, if you have an otherwise clear screen, nothing beats the triple shot for hitting the boss with the horizontal shot while the diagonal shots take care of any tentacles he shoots, and forcing him to retreat all the way across the level.

6. Force the boss to respawn where you want him to.

For the first 3 or so respawns, try to get the sphere form of the boss to the right side of the level before you shoot the last tentacle. This way you get some private time with the shield blobs while he's far away (to practice working on #3!), avoiding unnecessary confusion. Starting on spawn #4, try to respawn the boss on the left side of the level (ideally when he's "off" the floors to the left). Doing this will typically allow you to kill 2 spawns worth of the demon dog things before the boss (and the shield blobs) get far enough to the right to warrant attention.

7. A weapon usually spawns *with* the boss, even if you just picked one up.

This is a little hard to explain, but basically it boils down to, a weapon will spawn when the boss spawns, even if you just picked one up - as opposed to the way that weapon spawns are typically time based, and picking one up means it'll be a short wait until the next one.

Many many times I've had a weapon out on the level when I kill the last tentacle to make the boss respawn from his sphere form. If the boss respawns while this weapon is out on the level (meaning you haven't picked it up), then the weapon remains present and action continues. But I've found a new weapon usually spawns at the same time that the boss respawns, if no weapon exists on the level at his time of respawn. Furthermore, I've found that I can pick up the weapon that's onscreen while the boss is respawning (or just before, when he's still a sphere), and a new weapon pops up when he spawns. This can be a good way to get a better weapon than what was out when he was in sphere form. Often he'll be sphere, and something bad like Missiles will be on the level. I'll kill all the tentacles to start his respawn, then go quickly and pick up the missle powerup before he finishes respawning (just to get it off the field. Remember #4, Missiles are not your friend :p). When the boss respawns, another weapon drops as well, something great like the Laser. Then I grab that weapon instead and pew pew pew. Or sometimes it'll be a triple shot then Missiles, so I'll just keep the first weapon. This is a good strategy to kinda get your pick of weapons, since the one that spawns with the boss doesn't care about how recently the previous one was picked up.

(pro tip: drinking game for that last paragraph: take a shot every time you read the word "spawn")

Thanks for the tips! I'll get back to the game over the weekend as now I've also got to review Limbo hahaha. Just published a review for Puzzle Dimension (and I set a roadmap+trophy guide on the forum for the game here at ps3trophies.org) and I'll also write one for Patapon 3, Mad Blocker Alpha and Ninjamurai so you can imagine why I had to skip doing the last coupe of medals.

Good tips, highfructose, congrats on getting 24-alpha... I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until you get 31-alpha. I hear you on the missiles... they are pretty useless on the levels with a lot of enemies. I only pick it up to hit a UFO or something when I know it's safe to use.

I've also been able to push bosses off the screen sometimes... particularly those large blue fish ones in the very last blue level. You can herd them with your shots.

Congrats on the guide being stuck! Hope I'm as lucky with my Puzzle Dimension trophy guide hehehe. I ALMOST got back to Alien Zombie BUT I got sidetracked by Limbo for a reivew (that I won't do anymore) and instead I've got to review Dead Block. Did manage to get all trophies on Pac Man Championship so it was time well spent.

So far you ARE the only one reporting the glitch. I had no problem with it but then again I did ALL blue levels first before even starting on a red one so maybe something got unchecked on the script when you started playing the red ones before being done with the blue ones? I'll try and contact the developer since I did a review for the game.

No, that's probably not it... I got a lot of the medals from red levels before unlocking all the blue ones for Cleansed.

Sometimes playing online vs offline has an effect on the save file. That or playing on different machines and moving your save file between them.

I'd have to have more people report the glitch before adding any info about it in the guide.

Being Online can't be the problem as I uploaded my high scores every time I finished a level. Maybe PLAYING online co-op glitches it? Too many variables, man!

Nah, I've not even touched the co-op side of things at all xD I might try again next week when I have more time, guess it can't hurt to back up my current save and just tackle the Blue levels again.

Hello, I am new here from Belgium, ranking 7 in megadeath. 2 questions...

How do you get such a high score in level 40 alpha.

I have the fourth score on 24 alpha and only had 7 bosses killed. From what I see only 2 persons could have this medal yet. how is it possible that no one in the entire world has the gold one yet. If this game is 9/10 what game is 10/10 for difficulty

Hello, I am new here from Belgium, ranking 7 in megadeath. 2 questions...

How do you get such a high score in level 40 alpha.

I have the fourth score on 24 alpha and only had 7 bosses killed. From what I see only 2 persons could have this medal yet. how is it possible that no one in the entire world has the gold one yet. If this game is 9/10 what game is 10/10 for difficulty

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that.... :whistle:

Anyway, I stumbled across a way to keep going indefinitely on that stage. I tested it a few times to see if I could replicate it, and then tried to see how long I could keep it up. When I realized I could go on forever I just killed myself. So you can pretty much ignore my score on that level, I don't even have the medal for killing X bosses on that level yet.

I decided not to post how I did it because I didn't want people to start glitching the crap out of the points on that level. Doesn't really do anything in terms of trophies because you'll get the score ones by the time anyway and it doesn't let you get all the medals in that level. I can only assume based on other really high user scores on the level that others have possibly discovered it as well.

highfructose, who's posted in this thread, has only one left to get the gold trophy, I believe. I'm sure there are others that are close as well... probably some that aren't listed on sites like YGC.