HDD Upgrade Guide (+ How to: Back up & FAT32 Format)

Vuule

So was going to upgrade my ps3 from 150gb to 500gb only problem is I don't have a large external hard drive to do backup utility. So I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate a 100% fact answer too.

1.) Can I just backup all my saved data to my online storage since I'm a playstation plus user, swap the hard drives and then redownload ALL my saves games?

2.) If I choose not to do backup utility what all will be lost? As long as my account is still on there and I can get my save data back I don't care much for the images, music, and videos.

3.) If I decide to do a backup utility plan what's the highest external HDD the ps3 will read? I have an external 1TB but my ps3 won't read that.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: It depends on how many saves you've got and how big they are as you only get 150mb to play with.

2: See here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/general-ps3-discussion/62819-ps3ts-official-locked-saved-games-thread.html

3: You can go up to 1TB if you know what you're doing but it's been said that anything bigger than 320GB can cause problems due to the way FAT32 works though I cannot confirm this.

1) Yes. However, some saves require you to wait 24 hours between upload and download.

2) Your PS3 will pretty much look like you just bought it. Everything will be gone. I'm not sure if your account will be 'gone'. But you can simply relogin. Not sure if this is stored on the PS3 or the HDD. Sorry.

3) I have a 500GB myself. My PS3 reads it, but I had to format it to FAT32 first. I don't see why the PS3 wouldn't read a 1TB, unless it's not FAT32.

EDIT: :ninja:'d

Well all my saved data for games is on the online storage :) so good there.

So I can just say screw it for trying to buy an external hard drive to back my data onto and basically just upgrade it? Since with what you guys said I can just relogin and at the same time also re download my saved data slowly but for sure.

Since you guys don't know if the users stay on the system when the hard drive is switched should I can't think of the word but basically turn my game sharing off on the current one since I'll have to remake it again and can only do game sharing for a minimum of five times and this one will be my max.

Yah i know but I'm sure it goes for the hard drive not the systems

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok so now I have a new problem, I was going to do the switch last night but I can't change the new 500gb HDD to a Fat32. Reason why is because I can't technically hook it up to anything....like how can I hook it up to my computer? It's just the rom basically nothing to connect it to.....NEED HELP PLZ N TY

Edited by Vulfdrek

need help please.

so i have PS+ and have uploaded all of my game saves. i figured this would save a little time for me on backing up and restoring. so when i was going to back up to my FAT32 formatted iPod my PS3 says it cannot connect to it. can i just swap the HDD's without backing up? i realize i would have to redownload all of the games and additional content. but will i be able to just swap out HDD's and restart the PS3 and it would be like a new system until i log in and re-adjust all of my settings. are somethings not saved on the HDD. sorry not the biggest tech guy in the world, i just need more space.

i have my new 500GB WD HDD if that makes any difference.

thanks for the help in advance.

Yah i know but I'm sure it goes for the hard drive not the systems

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok so now I have a new problem, I was going to do the switch last night but I can't change the new 500gb HDD to a Fat32. Reason why is because I can't technically hook it up to anything....like how can I hook it up to my computer? It's just the rom basically nothing to connect it to.....NEED HELP PLZ N TY

The FAT32 process is for an external HDD so your PS3 recognizes it. Swapping a HDD you don't need to change it to FAT32, the PS3 will do that for you. (If needed of course.)

need help please.

so i have PS+ and have uploaded all of my game saves. i figured this would save a little time for me on backing up and restoring. so when i was going to back up to my FAT32 formatted iPod my PS3 says it cannot connect to it. can i just swap the HDD's without backing up? i realize i would have to redownload all of the games and additional content. but will i be able to just swap out HDD's and restart the PS3 and it would be like a new system until i log in and re-adjust all of my settings. are somethings not saved on the HDD. sorry not the biggest tech guy in the world, i just need more space.

i have my new 500GB WD HDD if that makes any difference.

thanks for the help in advance.

If you backed up all your save files and have synced your trophies, you can swap your HDD. Everthing will get wiped, as if you bought a new PS3. But you can simply make a new account on the PS3 itself, login with your PSN account and redownload any game you want. (If, the account info isn't stored on the PS3 itself. When you've swapped your HDD, could you possibly reply if you needed to make a new PS3 account again and had to relogin to PSN?)

Edited by Vuule

If you backed up all your save files and have synced your trophies, you can swap your HDD. Everthing will get wiped, as if you bought a new PS3. But you can simply make a new account on the PS3 itself, login with your PSN account and redownload any game you want. (If, the account info isn't stored on the PS3 itself. When you've swapped your HDD, could you possibly reply if you needed to make a new PS3 account again and had to relogin to PSN?)

thanks for the help, i will give you an update once i change it after work tonight.

well replace mine and(back up saves) but had to reinstall ever game. only due to hd that would work with ps3 (is one i only use for data back up) so finale finish after 4 days of install. now i did have a issue with one of the ps3 controller not sync with ps3(dual shock 3) and had to re sync it after install of hd etc.

so as an update i swapped out the HDD's and restarted. the PS3 asked for the system update. so i did have to use a small thumb drive just for that. it then reformatted the new HDD, installed the firmware. then it prompted me to change the date, time, internet connections, and user name as if were brand new. i just had to log back into the PSN and now, while i'm at work (hehe), it is downloading a bunch of my additional content and games. its amazing how much stuff you download without realizing it lol. as far as trophies and friends i haven't gotten that far. back to work. will update again when i get home.

The fat32 process is for an external hdd so your ps3 recognizes it. Swapping a hdd you don't need to change it to fat32, the ps3 will do that for you. (if needed of course.)

sankyou

I NOW HAVE 500 GBS OF UNSTOPPABLE POWER lmao xD

hopefully it holds me over for some time now

Edited by Vulfdrek

So I ran into a conundrum, I forgot to move my Little Big Planet 1 & 2 profile save data files into the backup. They're still on my old Hard Drive which I still have, but there's no way I can boot it up into the ps3 without it removing all my stuff. So is there any way to access my old hard drive and get the data?

So I ran into a conundrum, I forgot to move my Little Big Planet 1 & 2 profile save data files into the backup. They're still on my old Hard Drive which I still have, but there's no way I can boot it up into the ps3 without it removing all my stuff. So is there any way to access my old hard drive and get the data?

You could buy a case and turn it into an External HDD.

the Tb hdd upgrade went well, but now i'm wondering if i should have deactivated my other account before upgrading.

so should you or even can you deactivate your account before upgrading?

and wow formatting and playstation OS uses up too much space

the Tb hdd upgrade went well, but now i'm wondering if i should have deactivated my other account before upgrading.

so should you or even can you deactivate your account before upgrading?

and wow formatting and playstation OS uses up too much space

While I'm not sure if you need to deactivate your account when you swap your HDD, you can deactivate it here: Digital Entertainment | Sony Entertainment Network