L.A. Noire Save File Glitch

Schnopps

I'm not entirely sure whether or not to actually call it a glitch but I figured tossing glitch up in the title would get more attention.

First let me detail the situation that brought me up to this point. I had just reached the Vice Desk in L.A. Noire and was working on the first case "The Black Caesar" While I was working my way through it I decided to take a break and download the RockStar Pass so I could get the "Naked City" Vice Case and all the other perks included with the pass. I beat "The Black Caesar" and later "The Set Up."

No problems so far, as soon as I completed "The Set Up" the next case I was brought to was "The Naked City." Alright then, good stuff. I play through "The Naked City" for a bit and wasn't really paying attention so I screwed up a couple of the interviews. Desiring a five star rating on my first try I figured, hell, why don't I just replay it from the cases menu? So, I quit out, selected it from the Cases Menu, saved over my previous "The Naked City" save file and happily was on my way towards unraveling the mystery presented to me. When I completed the case, instead of moving forward to the next case I was brought back to the main menu, as is what normally happens when you replay a case that you've already beaten.

"That's odd," I thought so I quickly beat the replay again. Nothing. I then thought maybe downloading the DLC prior to actually playing all the cases might have screwed things up, so I deleted the DLC install data and "The Naked City" no longer appeared on the Cases Menu. I quickly replayed and beat "The Set Up" and... nothing. Back to the Main Menu for me. "This is some ol' bullshit," I thought to myself as I stroked my beard in angry contemplation.

From there I perused the RockStar Support Boards and Google and found out that there was an UNBELIEVABLY STUPID oversight from either RockStar or Team Bondi when it comes to the save game files. See, when you're playing the game normally and progress along your save file is somewhat unique. Say I beat "The Black Caesar" and then proceed onto "The Set Up." Well if you look at the game data utility or manage to look at the titles of the save files you will quickly notice that there are two kinds. One with "Replay" included in parentheses next to the case name, like this "The Black Caesar (Replay)." The other, let's call it the Alpha Save File will simply have the case title, e.g. "The Set Up", and there will be no mention of replay or parentheses.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO DELETE OR OVERWRITE THE ALPHA SAVE FILE PRIOR TO BEATING THE GAME. If you do so you will be unable to progress along in the story. The only fix is to delete all your save data and simply start the game from scratch, as I have been forced to do.

In my case, due to my perfectionist desire to earn a five star rating on the cases as I went along, I inadvertently saved over my "The Naked City" Alpha Save File. I have heard rumors of others being proper fucked in this manner as well, and have even heard the stray story of the DLC cases themselves automatically overwriting the Alpha Save File and replacing it with a DLC case replay file.

Think about the consequences this entails after all, I have to reattain all my five star ratings on all the previous cases I played, find all of the cars again, kill enemies with all the guns, and street crimes. Film Reels and Landmarks are not affected since you can find them at any point in the story, but certain cars and certain weapons AND street crimes only appear at certain points, or desks, in the story.

I can only hope that I have explained this issue thoroughly and accurately. Please, fellow gamers, by all means, make absolutely certain you do not save over your, here comes the bold again, Alpha Save File, for you will be horribly inconvenienced.

Edited by Schnopps
OverSight

how many people actually grab the DLC content before beating the main game? not many for sure, why buy more cases when you still have free main game cases to complete, makes sense to me.... all of this would then be avoided since beating the game you can only launch the dlc from the case menu and it would always make a "replay" type of save file for them

Edited by TheNukes

Wow, that is a big oversight on the developers part indeed. Sucks for your loss mate.

What you should have done though, or for anybody wishing to grab the R* pass, is to purchase it, download the contents, BUT leave it uninstalled on your XMB. That way, you'll have it all ready to go once you've beaten the game.

OP, the issue you have sounds like it is not specific to DLC. This would've/could've happened if you replayed ANY case and saved over the original/main storyline save.

Sorry this happened, but yeah, why I am always so careful not to save over something - in cases like this. Better safe than sorry. You overwrote the main gameplay!

OP, the issue you have sounds like it is not specific to DLC. This would've/could've happened if you replayed ANY case and saved over the original/main storyline save.

Sorry this happened, but yeah, why I am always so careful not to save over something - in cases like this. Better safe than sorry. You overwrote the main gameplay!

Well, I could see where that could be an honest mistake: after you've created so many save files, the game FORCES you to overwrite one of your saves each time. Like say, you work your way through all of the Patrol stuff and then a case or two in Traffic. Then you reload "Buyer Beward" from the Patrol cases. The game will make an automatic "Buyer Beware (Replay)" file alongside your Traffic save. Another save file is created if you reload another case. I ran into this A LOT near the end of my trophy gathering for this game by replaying cases. So you have to be VERY careful as to what you overwrite.

This is a good catch and I think you should mention this to the stickied guide authors. None of us have noticed this until this point and you certainly could help a lot of people going forward. While this is unrelated to the DLC it certain could be the cause to many of the trophy problems also being experienced by people. Like for example, I overwrite the save but instead of reverting you back to the main each time it isn't being noticed because I am finished with the story and trying to get the 5 stars. Perhaps everything looks and acts the same but I have over written collectibles that are showing unlocked but not really there now? (Just thinking of how this master save file could be causing problems). Either way, the guide authors should be made aware and they should request to have it added to the main page since the guide has already been loaded there.

As was astutely pointed out this is indeed not a problem pertaining to just the DLC save files but any save file. Overwriting the Alpha Save File period, prior to beating the game will ruin any chances of 100% completion, earning all five star ratings, etc. At your suggestion KryptoniteDragon I have messaged the author of the stickied trophy guide in an attempt to bring this issue to his attention, and hopefully he will update his guide to include this issue with the save files. It should serve as a precautionary warning to those just starting off their L.A. Noire trophy hunt.

Here is RockStar's Technical Support's presentations about the issue to add further veracity to my claims. It is perhaps a bit more vaguely worded than my initial explanation and what has been elaborated upon by other posters but the message is the same.

Issues with returning to the Main Menu after completing a case : Rockstar Support

Edited by Schnopps
Poor Wording

I always thought that would be the case. If you saved over your Alpha Saved File, you will not be able to continue. As I never tried it at all I couldn't confirm, but now know that it can happen and hinder your game from progression, this is something worth noting all together.

In the end, never save over you old file. I Wondered why they would name it two different files, but I thought that was a way to keep the gamer informed about the main game and replayed cases. Again thanks for letting us know, I'm sure the newcomers to the game would be happen you found this out.

Here is RockStar's Technical Support's presentations about the issue to add further veracity to my concern about this issue. It is perhaps a bit more vaguely worded than my initial explanation and what has been elaborated upon by other posters but the message is the same.

Issues with returning to the Main Menu after completing a case : Rockstar Support

Ill add this to the Checklist and FAQs page. I bet they didn't think to change the date on DLC and try that and see if it overwrites the main save game. I bet this is where the problem is. I sometimes change the dates on game files when I am playing for trophies that span across different days.

I actually have a bit of good news to report. Prior to deleting my save game data, I copied all my data over to a USB. I've made it to the "The Studio Secretary Murder" and on a whim I decided to copy over my save file of "The Set Up (Replay)." Played through it real quick even though my Alpha Save File, love using the freaking bold text, is at the desk below and... holy shit my Alpha Save File now thinks I have all the film reels, locations discovered, most of the cars, street crimes and all the missions up to "The Set Up" have five star ratings. Even though my Alpha Save File is only up to "The Studio Secretary Murder." I beat "The Studio Secretary Murder", checked my statistics again, started up "The Quarter Moon Murders" and... hot damn my stats have carried over. Thank god I don't have to collect all that crap over again and I can literally just bumble through the next few missions not caring. Granted I can only do this because I got five star ratings on all the missions the first time around but still this is great news. If my trophy for beating Vice Desk dings I'm pretty sure I'll have only wound up wasting a little bit of time by only having to replay most of the missions and not recollect everything again. I'm cautiously optimistic this will work.

Edited by Schnopps

I also have the dlc before completion as i like the game and wanted the cheap pass, i have played and completed the one on traffic and like you didnt really care so i was scrappy, i still have my normal game going and have since done a few cases.

My question is this - when i start my normal game now and select resume i have to select the save but it has the dlc one with 'replay' in front of it aswell as my normal one on vice desk, shall i leave this until i complete the main then? It never asked where to save just did it auto but i dont want to replay the case incase it wrecks my main story one? I have to replay it as i missed the trophy to shoot the engine to kill enemys.

So just to get it clear, I have to finish the main game before replaying the case files?

You can no it at anytime, just don't save over the main save file. The one with the Wording "replay" on it.

There has been a case on this forum and reports on RockStar's forums, where players have overwritten their main game save file, nicknamed by a few as the Alpha Save File (It's the one without (Replay) attached to the file name).

When playing through the game L.A. Noire will create two different save files. If you play through and beat the game without replaying any cases, you'll be fine. However should you replay cases as you go pay close attention. If you replay enough cases you will fill up the allotted amount of save slots and be asked to overwrite a game save the next time you want to replay a case. You will notice that there will be multiple save files with the title of the case followed by 'Replay' in parentheses.

Example: "Armed and Dangerous (Replay)"

These files are fine to overwrite. The main game save however, WILL NOT have 'Replay' following it in parentheses.

Example: "The Fallen Idol" <---- Main game save

Make sure when you replay a case and are asked to overwrite a save file DO NOT delete the Main game save file prior to beating the game as it will hinder (put a halt) to your main story progress. You will be left with only one course of action if you wish to continue and that is to delete your data and start over from the beginning. Please see this thread for more info on this issue. L.A. Noire Save File Glitch. Also a big thank you to Schnopps for bringing this to our attention. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

In an attempt to simplify.

- Master save file - NO (Replay) behind it

- Your most up to date story progress AND your story continuation point are on this ONE master save file

- While doing case select (Cases from main menu) it prompts you to pick a location to save over. DO NOT pick anything except those WITH (Replay) behind them.

- While playing within the main story your saves are automatic and there are NO worries. Also, using resume does not overwrite anything...no worries.

Very succinct and accurate summation KryptoniteDragon. As for DLC cases there shouldn't be any worries about downloading them or the RockStar pass prior to beating the game. Don't take my word as the absolute truth though since some people on the RockStar forums have complained about the DLC cases like "The Naked City" causing problems but RockStar Technical Support hasn't been able to recreate the issues. Unless a patch comes along to rectify the issue or for some reason the new DLC cases that have yet to be released cause any problems, I feel that this thread has served its purpose and ought to be locked or something.

@Tinny48 So the game made an automatic replay save file for "The Consular's Car" Traffic Case DLC even though you were progressing through the game normally? Huh. Maybe if somebody had all of their save files filled up with replays and their main save file and then played a DLC case normally through the story there could be a chance of it automatically saving over the main save file? This is pure speculation on my part though.

Edit: @JPClyde You're fine to replay Cases as you go through the story, just make absolutely certain you don't save over your main/master/Alpha save file.

Edited by Schnopps

Well i have been continuing on the main story path and i am currently on the vice desk but it has auto loaded the naked city as my next case? I exited and went to select case and i have no other option but naked city next, am i safe to continue? So now there will be 4 cases on the vice desk but standard there is 3 i think? I have left the other one with replay in front of it for now until i complete all main game.

• 6 months later...

I just completed the story of L.A. Noire and am now going to for 100%. I planned on just replaying the story by going to the Case desk and starting with the opening mission. I have two questions though:

1. After I beat the case, will it auto-load the second case? ect, etc.

2. If I restart the story by going to the first mission, does that erase all of my obtained cars?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...