American McGee's Alice DLC - Controller Problems

BFenris

Is anybody else experiencing major moments of controller lock up or malfunctions? I've switched between 3 controllers and all are having the same issues with the DLC. It's also really glitchy, but for me the major problem are these controller moments going really wonky.

*Edit: And remember, this is for the American McGee's Alice, not Alice: Madness Returns.

Edited by BFenris

I have had some issues with Alice not grabbing stuff and jumping being off if that's what you mean. Other than that I haven't really had any problems.

I've had those problems too, but in my case it's where the controller will lock up completely at times and she'll just stand there. I know it isn't my controller because I tried playing Mortal Kombat and Just Cause 2 with them a little bit ago and they are functioning fine.

*Edit: A little update on this, I restarted my system and the controls seem to be working better. Maybe it was my system, the game or whatever, I'm not sure. But after resuming it seems to be better.

Edited by BFenris

I've had those problems too, but in my case it's where the controller will lock up completely at times and she'll just stand there. I know it isn't my controller because I tried playing Mortal Kombat and Just Cause 2 with them a little bit ago and they are functioning fine.

*Edit: A little update on this, I restarted my system and the controls seem to be working better. Maybe it was my system, the game or whatever, I'm not sure. But after resuming it seems to be better.

Glad to hear it's working better I haven't run into this problem yet.

i have this problem too and i needed to restart once because of prolonged lock-up and sometimes the voice is missing when characters are talking.

I think it is another bad-port situation . :/

*looks at the bottom of the case*

*see the EA logo*

oooooooooooh it makes sense now.

:(

Here is what seemed to happen for me. I restarted it and it would work fine, 10 minutes later it would start to do the lock-up situation once again. So instead of worrying about it I just soldiered through, taking the deaths to the chin the best I could and fought my way through it. In addition to the lock-up situation, I also experienced these:

• Lag (Which is inexcusable for a PS3 on a game such as this)
  • Loading at mid-jump areas.
  • Missing sound parts (like you did)

This isn't a bad port, it's an awful port. I looked up a Let's Play and watched 30 minutes of it to see if the original was like this and it wasn't. Whoever was behind this port (and I don't mean EA alone, I mean the team itself) was lazy and should be ashamed.

On the plus side, I beat it in a single sitting. Now I need some whiskey and a comedy to watch to take the edge off.

*Edit: Oh, on a side note, the story of the game was fantastic. Loved the overall story and the ending was wonderful. My only gripe with the game is the technical aspect of the control and system performance. Which in a game means a truck load since if I wanted nothing but story I'd turn on Netflix.

Edited by BFenris

I haven't reached the end of the game for the first Alice yet. I do have the first 3 trophies though. I agree with everyone else here when they stated that they have controller issues along with glitches. I thought I was playing N64 again. Some parts really frustrate me. I'll come back and edit when I approach the end of the game.

It was more of an endgame problem with me. Come back when you reach near the end and report what happens. I'm curious if this just happens to some and not others or what.

Just beat the DLC and had nothing like randomly flying off platforms of controls sticking. I did however experience a few "freezes" in the frame rate (when there were lots of enemies around and they attacked or when one died, etc). That was the only issue I had though.

for me sometimes the Jump button doesn't register right away, that or I jump on a platform and after Alice lands she slides a little bit and falls off the other side.

but remember this is a port of an 11 year old PC game... it's bound to have some glitches. that's to be expected.

Edited by oversoul53

but remember this is a port of and 11 year old PC game... it's bound to have some glitches. that's to be expected.

Expected, but not acceptable. They brought X-Men Arcade over which is even older and there weren't any problems with that. Most of what is experienced could have been avoided with a little attention to detail. One of those "do it right or not at all" situations.

On the plus side, with Alice: Madness Returns I haven't had a single controller glitch or glitch in general. Just goes to show where all the effort went into and thank god for that.

Edited by BFenris

I've finished the DLC content, and I actually own the original PC version as well. The controller lockup is definitely something that has been introduced in the ported version, although if you take advantage of the save anytime feature it will probably never cause more then occasional annoyance.

Keep in mind that the original game was extremely quirky coding and physics even at its best so alot of the glitchs and problems you might experince are not unquie to the PS3 version.

So far, I've played up through the Skool's Out in the Fortress of Doors. I've had an occurrence where the controller would just stop responding with the game. After a few moments, it would clear up. So far, it's occurred twice. No other issues than that though.

I had that happen as well. Sometimes the controller would lock up and I couldn't move at all, and other times she would just keep going in a direction and I couldn't stop it. Sometimes waiting a few seconds, getting hit, or after she ran into a wall would fix it...but not always.

I had her stand there and get drilled by enemies, run completely off the edge during the centipede battle, drown because I couldn't move in water, and run in circles during the jabberwocky battle getting nice and toasted :rolleyes: . I just figured it was caused by a bad port and did manage to make it through to the end, but it was a minor annoyance that caused several unnecessary reloads.