Getting COOL status is much easier than I thought it would be

I've never once gotten the COOL status during all of the years I've played this on the PS1 and just now I tried for it and got it on the first 3 stages in a row!

I think I finally understand how to play PaRappa and it only took me 20 years to figure it out! :D

I'm just 1 trophy away from the platinum and that's the one for beating it on easy.

The weird thing though is that i keep beating stages on easy, but when I go back to the stage select they still show up locked. So I need to start a new game from scratch, and if so, will I lose all of my progress on Normal mode?

You won't lose your data.

All you have to do is go back into the options menu and switch the difficulty back to normal after beating the game on easy.

Got very worried last night as I beat the game on easy before accessing the "KT and the Sunny Funny Band." level and when I went to stage select to play if for the Platinum everything was locked as the game was still on easy mode.

You won't lose your data.

All you have to do is go back into the options menu and switch the difficulty back to normal after beating the game on easy.

Got very worried last night as I beat the game on easy before accessing the "KT and the Sunny Funny Band." level and when I went to stage select to play if for the Platinum everything was locked as the game was still on easy mode.

Awesome. Thanks for lettimg me know.

So I gotta ask a little while ago you posted a thread about the game feeling totally broken and now you've gotten Cool on all the levels? How did you get around Cheap Cheap? Can you post a video of your cool run of that level cause I can't even pass that level normally it's so frustrating.

The audio is definitely buggy and the reason is because it's a port of the PSP version.

To beat the Cheap Cheap stage 4 part you have to make sure the sample finishes playing in time with the music. So basically press the buttons earlier than you think you should.

To get COOL you need to freestyle on the marked areas. I found that in some cases you can just button mash to get to COOL.

Check out th video above to see how it worked for me.

Good luck.

I'll try to pass using the video you posted, the video above isn't for that level so I had to go to your channel. Any chance you have your Cool run on your game DVR?

Also a few questions: what do you mean make sure the sample finishes in time with the music? And freestyle in the marked areas? You mean when there's not buttons on the highway?

I'll try to pass using the video you posted, the video above isn't for that level so I had to go to your channel. Any chance you have your Cool run on your game DVR?

Also a few questions: what do you mean make sure the sample finishes in time with the music? And freestyle in the marked areas? You mean when there's not buttons on the highway?

Unfortunately I've already deleted it from the PS4, but it's pretty much the same for the last 2 levels as I did for the first 3 levels.

Basically just press the buttons a half second or so early and you should do OK with the Cheap Cheap level.

To get a COOL rating you need to "freestyle", which means you need to press the button(s) on the starred sections during the verse. You also need to press one of the same buttons which are being used in that particular section. For example, if the verse is X, X, X, L, X... You need to press either the X or L buttons on the starred sections. Pressing anything other than that will count against you.

As you can see by my video I did some rapid fire style button pressing during the freestyle parts and it seemed to put me into COOL mode much quicker. This may or may not be true though. It seemed to work for me so I kept doing it.

The Cheap Cheap area gave me the most trouble with getting the COOL rating. There are very few opportunities to freestyle, along with the timing issues. It'll possibly take multiple attempts.

To me the scoring system seems broken. In Stage 2 for example, i do just like in your video and don't even get a quarter of your points for it.

All you do at the beginning of stage 2 is YY(XXXXXXXX spamming) right?

Then you reach cool after the 2nd phrase, while I'm just around 50 points at this time....

What am I doing wrong?

To me the scoring system seems broken. In Stage 2 for example, i do just like in your video and don't even get a quarter of your points for it.

All you do at the beginning of stage 2 is YY(XXXXXXXX spamming) right?

Then you reach cool after the 2nd phrase, while I'm just around 50 points at this time....

What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean while in COOL mode?

At that point I was just button mashing. I wasn't really going for points. I was just trying to keep the COOL rating until the song ended.

The game scoring may in fact be broken... I really can't say one way or another.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously.... I've watched the vids and still haven't ONCE gotten it up to cool.

How abut someone write an absolute dummies guide because I'm thinking that's what I need.

So.... first level... the guy goes

Triangle... circle... x.... I hit that... and then mash x after? Or either triangle or circle.

Does the mash have to be a rythm?

And... you need to have your last push be early enough that parappa''s voice trails off before icon reaches the end?

OK. .... I'm doing that. Cool flashes... but it never gets up there.

My excitment for this game has crashed hard.

I don't mean to make another post... but this thing won't post my edits.

Anyway...

I'm hating this game. I have never even seen cool become highlighted. It flashes. That's all.

I've beaten the game on normal and am in stage select.

Now.. the levels in stage select all have red locks on them even though I can play them. Is that some how preventing cool status? Seriously would love a very detail list of needed info for this game.

The vid linked... and the other's on utube don't help. All they show is the person successfully completing the task. Great... you can do it. YAY..... for you.

How about some narration? Some look at your hands?

I have mimicked the vids so that while the vids play on a screen and the game plays on my TV they are moving in sync with each other. I absolutely cannot copy what goes on in the vids anymore than I am.

Please.... any help would be good. After platinuming a copy more intense games this week I got excited to revisit an old favorite that I thought would be a low out of ten Plat difficult. ... so far..

I'm having more trouble with parappa than some of my more 'prestigious' platinum

EDIT

I'm thinking game is glitched. It acts like I don't have saved data even though have beaten the game. Gonna delete file and restart.

Acruelly. .. already did before this edit.

And now the levels don't have locks. I'm not done replaying yet but latest it seems to be working better.

Also... in the menu... what does the 'replay' fea tire supposed to do? Always says there's no saved data... but I know I have it now. I can continue my story form main menu. Maybe before when I played it I screwed up saving my game or something.

Having to hit... 'playdata' after a level as the way to save is kinds weird. So what does replaydata do?

This whole fame is effed and unclear

Edited by DylanVylan

I don't mean to make another post... but this thing won't post my edits.

Anyway...

I'm hating this game. I have never even seen cool become highlighted. It flashes. That's all.

I've beaten the game on normal and am in stage select.

Now.. the levels in stage select all have red locks on them even though I can play them. Is that some how preventing cool status? Seriously would love a very detail list of needed info for this game.

The vid linked... and the other's on utube don't help. All they show is the person successfully completing the task. Great... you can do it. YAY..... for you.

How about some narration? Some look at your hands?

I have mimicked the vids so that while the vids play on a screen and the game plays on my TV they are moving in sync with each other. I absolutely cannot copy what goes on in the vids anymore than I am.

Please.... any help would be good. After platinuming a copy more intense games this week I got excited to revisit an old favorite that I thought would be a low out of ten Plat difficult. ... so far..

I'm having more trouble with parappa than some of my more 'prestigious' platinum

EDIT

I'm thinking game is glitched. It acts like I don't have saved data even though have beaten the game. Gonna delete file and restart.

Acruelly. .. already did before this edit.

And now the levels don't have locks. I'm not done replaying yet but latest it seems to be working better.

Also... in the menu... what does the 'replay' fea tire supposed to do? Always says there's no saved data... but I know I have it now. I can continue my story form main menu. Maybe before when I played it I screwed up saving my game or something.

Having to hit... 'playdata' after a level as the way to save is kinds weird. So what does replaydata do?

This whole fame is effed and unclear

Well, there was an update for the game. If you deleted it and reinstalled and then tried using a save which was made on 1.0 it might be causing issues.

Replay and save are just ways to record the stage and play back your performance.

All I can say is to try pressing the buttons a half second earlier than you think you should and add extra button presses on the beat to get into Cool mode.