Minefield ~ Roadmap & Trophy Guide

Jerry Appleby

Minefield ~ Roadmap and Trophy Guide

If this guide helped you out and you want to join the site because of it, click here!

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 2/10
  • Offline trophies: 11 (5(B), 5(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: < 1 hour
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 10 puzzles
  • Number of missable trophies: 0
  • Glitched trophies: 0, but see the *Glitch Warning*
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes, you must complete at least 1 puzzle on Easy, Medium, and Hard, as well as different sizes of puzzles.
  • Do trophies stack?: Yes, there is a NA list and EU list.

*Glitch Warning*

The game has a really annoying glitch where once you complete a puzzle, trophies become disabled until you reboot the game. This is because once you finish a puzzle, the game thinks the game is done. So in order to fix the issue, you will have to close the game to the XMB and restart it after each completion. If you fail a puzzle, it's okay to keep going without closing the game to XMB, since you haven’t completed a puzzle yet.

Introduction:

Minefield is the classic game Minesweeper, which nearly everyone has played at least once in their lifetime. The game is free on PS4 so all you need to do is access the store to download it!

There weren’t any trophies associated with it originally, but the developers added trophies a couple days later due to popular demand. The game is really easy, especially for those who grew up playing the game, and also features 2 trophy lists! So anyone that has both an EU and NA account can play both versions for some easy trophies!

If you have never played the game before, the basic premise is that you have a grid with some bombs placed randomly and your objective is to uncover every square that does not contain a bomb. All the squares adjacent to a bomb contain a number, and that number is the number of bombs surrounding that square, including diagonals. For example: if you uncover a 3, this means that there are 3 bombs adjacent to the square, and they could be above, below, left, right, or diagonally next to it.

If you find a square that you know contains a bomb, you can place a flag on that spot with :square: to denote its position. Use these bomb locations to determine which other squares have bombs or not.

A small hint: If you find a bomb location and one of the adjacent squares is a 1, then since you know the bomb’s position, you can uncover every square adjacent to that 1!

If you read above, you’ll see there’s a fairly annoying glitch where completing a single puzzle disables all the trophies until you reboot the game, so you’ll have to get used to quitting and reloading often to get the rest of the trophies.

Walkthrough:

Steps 1-3 can be done in any order. Just make sure you quit the game and relaunch it after each successful puzzle completion. Also change your theme before each completion as well to make progress towards the theme trophy.

Step 1: Complete a puzzle on Easy difficulty and Small size.

Self-explanatory. Doing this will earn you 2 quick trophies.

Trophies Unlocked:

(B) Take it Easy

(B) Tiny Size

Step 2: Complete a puzzle on Normal difficulty and Normal size.

Self-explanatory. Doing this will earn you 2 more trophies.

Trophies Unlocked:

(B) Normal Difficulty

(B) Normal Size

Step 3: Complete a puzzle on Hard difficulty and Huge size.

This is the hardest part due to the large size of the huge grid and the potential to make errors right near the end. Once this step is complete you’re home free!

Trophies Unlocked:

(S) Rocky Mode

(S) Gigantic

(G) Grand Master

Step 4: Clean up and get the theme trophies.

The last step before 100%. Here you’ll win 3 times in a row, complete a puzzle in under 10 seconds, and change the theme 10 times. As always, quit the game and reboot it after every successful completion.

Trophies Unlocked:

(S) Hurry Up!

(S) Win streak

(B) Select Theme

(S) Theme Master

Enjoy your new :psn: 100%!!

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

Trophy Guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/2ac.jpg Take it Easy (B)

Finish the game in easy mode.

Self-explanatory. Simply complete a puzzle on easy difficulty. It does not matter what size grid you choose, just as long as the difficulty is set to easy. I recommend a small sized grid.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/5e7.jpg Normal Diffuculty (B)

Finish the game in normal mode.

Self-explanatory. Simply complete a puzzle on normal difficulty. It does not matter what size grid you choose, just as long as the difficulty is set to normal. I recommend doing a normal sized grid to knock 2 trophies out at once, but if you struggle with the game you can do this on a small grid.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/db1.jpg Rocky Mode (S)

Finish the game in hard mode.

Self-explanatory. Complete a puzzle on hard difficulty. It does not matter what size grid you choose, just as long as the difficulty is set to hard. I recommend a huge sized grid to knock out 3 trophies at once, but if you struggle you can do this on a small grid first.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/774.jpg Tiny Size (B)

Finish the game in small size.

Self-explanatory. Simply complete a puzzle on a small grid. It does not matter what difficulty you choose, but I’d recommend easy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/604.jpg Normal Size (B)

Finish the game in normal size.

Self-explanatory. Simply complete a puzzle on a normal grid. It does not matter what difficulty you choose, but I’d recommend easy. Although if you want to save time, play on normal difficulty to knock out 2 trophies at once!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/010.jpg Gigantic (S)

Finish the game in the huge map.

Self-explanatory. Simply complete a puzzle on a huge grid. It does not matter what difficulty you choose, but I’d recommend easy. Although if you want to save time and not have to replay this large map, play on hard difficulty to knock out the 3 toughest trophies at once!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/c36.jpg Hurry Up! (S)

Finish the game under 10 seconds.

This trophy is very luck based. Choose to play a small grid on easy difficulty, and as soon as the game starts, uncover the centre square. If you’re lucky, it will reveal almost the entire grid, and you’ll just have to press 1-2 more squares to finish the puzzle. If your time is under 10 seconds, you’ll get the trophy as soon as the game is done.

If not, purposefully fail the puzzle. Otherwise you’ll have to reboot the game to get the trophy (due to the puzzle completion glitch). This is the hardest trophy in the game in my opinion, since it’s based on getting really lucky as well as doing it on your first attempt.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/ca2.jpg Win streak (S)

Finish the game third times in a row.

Pretty easy, but needs a little bit of luck. You need to win the game 3 times in a row, without getting any bombs in any attempt. If you get a bomb, you have to redo all 3 wins again.

It’s highly recommended doing this on an easy and small grid.

For this trophy, you can win 3 times in a row without rebooting the game, but you’ll have to reboot the game and complete a quick puzzle to get the trophy afterwards. It’s recommended to just restart the game after each completion to be on the safe side.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/301.jpg Select Theme (B)

Finish the game by choosing 5 different background themes.

See Theme Master (S).

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/51a.jpg Theme Master (S)

Finish the game by choosing 10 different background themes.

You have to switch your theme from the main menu, and then complete a puzzle. You then need to reboot the game & repeat 9 more times.

Select Theme (B) will pop along the way, and this trophy will pop when you reach 10 puzzles completed with different themes.

This trophy may be glitched in a good way, as some have reported this popping with less than 10 theme changes. It took exactly 10 for me though.

Also as obvious as it may sound, do the puzzles on easy difficulty on a small grid to save time. No point in making things more difficult for yourself!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/114.jpg Grand Master (G)

Finish the game in hard and huge mode!

This is the hardest skill-based trophy in the game. You have to complete a puzzle on hard mode on a huge grid. It might take you multiple attempts to complete the puzzle, but keep at it and you’ll succeed eventually! Just take it slow and don’t rush, as the time limit does not affect the trophy popping. It took me around 7 minutes to complete the puzzle if you want a rough estimate.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

Cheers for this Jerry. ;)

Hope you are well buddy. Will be using this game when required for some trophy whoring :whistle:

I saw that avatar and thought it was Pricey responding, not you Ash. :rofl:

Maybe if THL ever comes back, that would be a good time to play it ;)

Very cool Jerry. Appreciate you putting this up.

No problem free. Although the game is super easy and doesn't really require a guide. :p

I think the only useful information that comes from this guide is how to avoid the trophy glitch, as that's what stopped me from finishing it fast. :( Took me almost 3 hours to get all the trophies to pop when it should've taken me like 10 minutes.

If I ever do the EU list, I could probably get it done within 10 easily. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Am I just retarded?

"A small hint: If you find a bomb location and one of the adjacent squares is a 1, then since you know the bomb’s position, you can uncover every square adjacent to that 1!"

This makes no sense to me and I don't know how anyone can avoid the mines regularly.

I'll try to explain it again for you:

Let's say you're exploring around and you happen to find a spot that you know is a bomb (like maybe you uncovered a "3" and there are exactly 3 spots adjacent to it, meaning that all adjacent squares are bombs).

If you happen to notice that you've uncovered a "1" and one of the aforementioned bombs is adjacent to it, then you can reveal every single block adjacent to that number!

You know that the bomb is located in that other spot already, and the number is a "1". This means that there cannot be any more bombs adjacent to the 1, otherwise the number wouldn't be correct. So therefore you can reveal the square around it.

Hope that helps? If not, see below for a more detailed example!

Here's a picture I copied from Wikipedia:

Minesweeper_10.png

See the 3 in the bottom middle section, the lowest one on the grid?

1 1 1 1

? 1 ? 1

? 2 ? 3

? ? ? ?

Go up a square and left. That gap has a bomb.

1 1 1 1

? 1 B 1

? 2 ? 3

? ? ? ?

How do we know? Look at the 1 above and to the right. There's only 1 spot available that's adjacent to it, so the bomb must be there.

Now that you know that bomb's location, look a the "1" directly above the 3.

Since we know that the bomb is to the left of that, then we know that the square diagonally below it cannot contain a bomb!

1 1 1 1

? 1 B 1

? 2 X 3

? ? ? ? (X = no bomb, B = bomb)

Similarly, if you look a the 1 to the left of the bomb, we know that the square surrounding cannot be bombs either!

1 1 1 1

X 1 B 1

X 2 X 3

? ? ? ?

Now look again at the 3. We see that there must be 3 bombs nearby, and we've uncovered 1 already and we've also marked off a spot where there won't be a bomb. So that leaves only 2 square left, which must be the remaining bombs!

1 1 1 1

X 1 B 1

X 2 X 3

? ? B B

Finally, look at the 2. We see that there can only be 2 bombs adjacent to it, and we have the first bomb we found, as well as the last one from the 3. So we then know that none of the remaining squares contain bombs.

1 1 1 1

X 1 B 1

X 2 X 3

X X B B

This example should help immensely I hope! Just note that the X's I wrote are going to be numbers of some type, they won't be blank squares. But always focus on the innermost numbers, because they will dictate what to focus on next!

Well first before all thanks for the guide buddy and for the whole explanation of the hint!, I was having a little trouble with the game since well I have played Minesweeper before when I was a kid but never understood very well the rules, I always thought that was a just a "lucky guess game" with random numbers, lol!

Also just in case I would like to share a little tip to the Win Streak trophy, you can use the good old "USB save backup" trick and still keep your streak!, I mean if you win once, exit the game (well with the glitch is mandatory...) go to the data settings and copy your save to an USB device or PS+ cloud and boot the game, if you win again repeat the process if not back up your previous save

That method helped me a lot because I have won twice in-a-row (and backing the save of course) but in the third try I always got the bomb in the first square and worst part it happened me 5 times in-a-row, lol!

Edited by Totavier

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/7359/114.jpg Grand Master (G)

Finish the game in hard and huge mode!

This is the hardest skill-based trophy in the game. You have to complete a puzzle on hard mode on a huge grid. It might take you multiple attempts to complete the puzzle, but keep at it and you’ll succeed eventually! Just take it slow and don’t rush, as the time limit does not affect the trophy popping. It took me around 7 minutes to complete the puzzle if you want a rough estimate.

You should add some tips for this trophy, or a link to a solver. This might be easy for you, or your favourite type of puzzle/game but that's not the case for everyone. ;)

I'm so shit at this, I tried it legit countless times on my alt accounts, then I used a solver to prep it for THL, I just couldn't do it without the solver. The solver is also not 100% accurate but it's better than nothing. :p

You should add some tips for this trophy, or a link to a solver. This might be easy for you, or your favourite type of puzzle/game but that's not the case for everyone. ;)

I'm so shit at this, I tried it legit countless times on my alt accounts, then I used a solver to prep it for THL, I just couldn't do it without the solver. The solver is also not 100% accurate but it's better than nothing. :p

I put a brief intro to some tips a few posts above this one ;)

As for the other thing, this is just a personal thought of mine: I'm against using solvers for puzzle games.

I really hate cheating for games like this, which is why I rarely post puzzle solutions or solvers. It ruins the fun imo. I'd rather have people learn the games and try them for themselves.

But I know being a trophy site, people are looking for the easiest way to get the trophies, so I'm leaving that up to them.

If they want to use a solver and cheat, go ahead, but I won't be encouraging that for any puzzle games, hence why I won't be posting one here.

I am open to posting a link to a How-To-Play website though! :)

I really hate cheating for games like this, which is why I rarely post puzzle solutions or solvers.

I get your point, but the guide isn't just for you though, so you should mention every possible option to make the trophy easier. Also the tips should be in the guide. :p

I wanted a solver cause I'm shit at this, I looked at another site while I could have found this solver here, not good. :p

But thanks for the guide anyway, just wanted to mention that. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Lol backing up a save for a 30 second trophy.

Curious what does the solver do?

Also I found the advance tactic of if 1in2 (bomb potentially in tiles) and 2in3 (derived from adjacent intersects) of the same 3 tiles then u have a given bomb residing outside the 1-2 but still within the 2-3 to be quite a complex strat. I got very excited on 100% I ran round my block lol. I rate gm trophy like a 6/10 tbh so generally that's what I would rate the game despite the other trophies being free.

Edited by Just2Dirty
That text is way to complex only gm minesweeper players will understand rofl

As for the other thing, this is just a personal thought of mine: I'm against using solvers for puzzle games.

Good for you.

You should be catering to the trophy hunter, not to the puzzle game lover. The guides are to help everyone reading it, not push your selfish agenda of misanthropic suppression and persisting the ideology that individualistic pleasure precedes all community endeavors.

tl;dr - thanks for the guide

EDIT: Also, my avatar.

Edited by Slamma

Good for you.

You should be catering to the trophy hunter, not to the puzzle game lover. The guides are to help everyone reading it, not push your selfish agenda of misanthropic suppression and persisting the ideology that individualistic pleasure precedes all community endeavors.

tl;dr - thanks for the guide

EDIT: Also, my avatar.

First, you're welcome for the guide. :)

But I still have the right to post my thoughts on cheating in games of this type.

As someone who values their education and wants others to not cheat their way through life, I cannot tolerate people taking the easy way through a game via solvers. It's not really a "selfish agenda of misanthropic suppression" as you suggest, most people interested in higher education would agree. Of course, you won't see much of that on the forums here though...

Puzzles were created to test people's knowledge through the use of logic, patterns, and deduction. And as such, I want people to use to brains to improve their critical thinking skills instead of simply cheating and not learning anything.

Just like I have my opinion on the matter, you all do as well. Feel free to use solvers and don't learn anything, but you won't see that here. :whistle:

But I still have the right to post my thoughts on cheating in games of this type.

Yes, you do. And that's perfectly fine. But the rest of what you said is not fine, because what you're supposed to be doing is providing help to earn trophies.

As someone who values their education and wants others to not cheat their way through life, I cannot tolerate people taking the easy way through a game via solvers. It's not really a "selfish agenda of misanthropic suppression" as you suggest, most people interested in higher education would agree. Of course, you won't see much of that on the forums here though...

Puzzles were created to test people's knowledge through the use of logic, patterns, and deduction. And as such, I want people to use to brains to improve their critical thinking skills instead of simply cheating and not learning anything.

Just like I have my opinion on the matter, you all do as well. Feel free to use solvers and don't learn anything, but you won't see that here. :whistle:

For fuck's sake, Jerry.

The guide is to help people get trophies and guess what? Solvers help people get trophies. What you're saying is that someone who doesn't understand the logic should seek help elsewhere because you're too smart to cater to someone who isn't the same level of absolute genius as you?

These are supposed to be the best guides on the internet for ALL audiences. Not for the ones who have completed "higher education" or are in MENSA's gifted program.

The guide is to help people get trophies and guess what? Solvers help people get trophies. What you're saying is that someone who doesn't understand the logic should seek help elsewhere because you're too smart to cater to someone who isn't the same level of absolute genius as you?

I never said people should look elsewhere for advice, I just said people shouldn't cheat.

All I'm saying it that if people are struggling at something, they should practice it again and again until it makes sense.

You know the saying "Practice Makes Perfect"?

How do I think I became so proficient in many things, including puzzles and games? It's not because I took the easy way and cheated. It's because I took the time to learn how the games/puzzles worked, and did lots of them until I understood how they worked and found a strategy to winning.

I don't want to keep this debate going, so I'll make a compromise to get you to stop whining. You link me to a solver, I will add it to the guide. But I am putting a disclaimer that I don't advise cheating.

I don't want to keep this debate going, so I'll make a compromise to get you to stop whining.

It's hilarious you think I'm whining about there not being a solver in your guide. Clearly, you aren't as smart as you think.

Even having a solver doesn't account for the lack of logic that I've encountered several times toward the end of the large puzzle on hard. Several times I got to two final squares and picked one square when it was in fact the other. The logic shown could have been for either square. It's absolutely frustrating to lose on luck.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about. If I'm not randomly hitting a mine when trying to reveal any portion of the board to start actually using logic, I'm ending the grid with this bullshit:

[spoiler=random]EJr7PMi.jpg

Edited by Slamma

A solver would be welcome but logic is still not 100%. With this game. I end up losing concentration because the grid is too large.

Lol backing up a save for a 30 second trophy.

Curious what does the solver do?

Also I found the advance tactic of if 1in2 (bomb potentially in tiles) and 2in3 (derived from adjacent intersects) of the same 3 tiles then u have a given bomb residing outside the 1-2 but still within the 2-3 to be quite a complex strat. I got very excited on 100% I ran round my block lol. I rate gm trophy like a 6/10 tbh so generally that's what I would rate the game despite the other trophies being free.

That trophy is not 30 seconds. The very first thing you select could be a mine. The backup save method gives it to you 100% guarantee.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about. If I'm not randomly hitting a mine when trying to reveal any portion of the board to start actually using logic, I'm ending the grid with this bullshit:

[spoiler=random]image.jpg

Not sure why its sideways

You had it easy man, look at the 2 in the lower corner. It is touching 2 mines, you have one already revealed but it is only touching 1 other spot. Which is clearly the mine.

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden

There is no 2 touching the final spots...?

I couldn't see your photo good sideways like that. Now I see it and there's no way to pick the mine. :o

EJr7PMi.jpg

But look it, my guess is still right. If you look to your right, the other space is empty. The mind is the middle one:

dmwXil2.jpg

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden