Final Fantasy VII ~ Gold Chocobo Breeding Guide

PapasitoPenguin

http://i.imgur.com/kh8O4ch.png

Banner and headers courtesy of the amazing MikelAL93.

http://i.imgur.com/KoBoS7m.png

The quest for breeding a Gold Chocobo is notorious among players for being the most frustrating sidequest in Final Fantasy VII. While breeding a Gold Chocobo may not seem like it’s worth the time and effort, but the rewards are very much worth it. Amongst the rewards for breeding different types of Chocobos are the valuable Mime Materia, Quadra Magic, and the Knights of the Round Materia.

The end goal of this sidequest is to breed a Gold Chocobo, with many other types of Chocobos being bred in the process. These include the Blue Chocobos, which can travel across shallow waters, the Green Chocobos, which can travel over mountains, and the Black Chocobos, which can travel over shallow waters and mountains. The main prize of this sidequest, however, is the Gold Chocobo, which can travel across any area of the world map, including the ocean.

The Chocobo breeding sidequest can be begun in the latter half of Part 2, after obtaining the Highwind. On your quest to breeding a Gold Chocobo, you will participate many times in Chocobo Racing in the Gold Saucer and earn the (B) Chocochampion trophy upon winning a Chocobo race for the first time if you did not obtain it when escaping Corel Prison. Further, once you’ve bred a Gold Chocobo and obtain the grand prize of this sidequest, the Knights of the Round Materia, you will earn the (S) Roundtable Destruction trophy.

Edited by luffybuggy
Editorial Sweep

http://i.imgur.com/FzAPFRI.png

Getting Started

This sidequest can be begun only after obtaining the Highwind in the latter half of Part 2. To begin, fly to the Chocobo Farm and speak to Choco Bill. Rent out all six of his stable, at 10,000 gil each, for a total of 60,000 gil. Because you will be capturing many wild Chocobos, you will need to equip a Chocobo Lure Materia. There are two Chocobo Lure Materias that can be found in the Chocobo Farm – the first one can be bought from Choco Billy, and the second can be found on the ground near the exit to the farm after obtaining the Highwind. Equipping both Chocobo Lure Materias increases the chances of finding a Chocobo and capturing it.

http://i.imgur.com/qh0JNla.jpg?1

The first Chocobo Lure Materia is purchase from Choco Billy early in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/kzpSmqB.jpg?1

The second Chocobo Lure Materia is found in the Chocobo Farm after obtaining the Highwind.

In order to capture a wild Chocobo, you must use a Green on it. While Choco Bill does sell Greens, the ones bought from the Chocobo Sage are much more effective for catching Chocobos. The Chocobo Sage can be found in a small house surrounded by mountains in the northern part of the world map. It can only be accessed with the Highwind.

http://i.imgur.com/qaYleMW.jpg?1

Location of the Chocobo Sage house.

The Chocobo Sage’s Greens are much more expensive than Choco Bill’s, but are also much more effective. The Chocobo Sage sells Reagan Greens for 3,000 gil, and Sylkis Greens for 5,000 gil. Buy about 10 Reagan Greens for capturing wild Chocobos, and 30 Sylkis Greens for raising the stats of your Chocobos.

In order to actually catch a wild Chocobo, find a set of Chocobo tracks on the ground in the world map, and with one or two Chocobo Lure Materias equipped, a wild Chocobo should be encountered very quickly near the tracks. A level 3 Chocobo Lure Materia gives double the chance to encounter a wild Chocobo than a level 1 Chocobo Lure Materia. Use a Reagan Green on the Chocobo, and while it is distracted, dispatch of the enemies, and afterwards, you will be able to ride the Chocobo after the battle. Dismounting the Chocobo while you have stables rented out at the Chocobo Farm gives you the option to send the Chocobo to the farm.

By talking to Choco Billy, you have the option to move your caught Chocobos from the pen to one of the stalls you have rented. Before you move the Chocobo, Choco Billy will give a short description of the Chocobo. The descriptions that are pertinent are the following:

• ”This… is a wonderful Chocobo!”
  • ”This is a great Chocobo.”
  • ”Mmm, this seems like a good Chocobo.”

If Choco Billy gives any other description, then that Chocobo is useless, and can be released.

Breeding a Blue and Green Chocobo

The first two types of Chocobos that must be bred are the Blue and the Green Chocobo. In order to breed these types of Chocobos, you must breed your wild Chocobos. More specifically, you must breed Good and Great Chocobos. However, for efficiency purposes, it is most effective to capture two Great Chocobos, in order to pass down the best stats to the offspring.

Great Chocobos can be found in two locations: outside of Rocket Town, or outside of Mideel. When you encounter a wild Chocobo, the enemy formation that it is a part of will determine its type. Near Rocket Town, Great Chocobos are accompanied by the two Valron enemies, or two Kyuvildun enemies. Any other enemy formation gives a useless Chocobo. Near Mideel, Great Chocobos are accompanied by either one Spiral enemy, or two. Any other formation gives a useless Chocobo. When you encounter a Great Chocobo, use a Reagan Green on it, and eliminate the rest of the enemies. When you’ve caught it, send it to the Chocobo Farm.

http://i.imgur.com/6rUHXBh.jpg?1

Location of the Rocket Town Chocobo tracks.

http://i.imgur.com/qT6bLrT.jpg?1

Location of the Mideel Chocobo tracks.

Once you’ve caught two Great Chocobos, return to the Chocobo Farm. You will require one male Great Chocobo and one female Great Chocobo in order to breed them. A Chocobo’s gender is not determined when it is captured, but rather when it is moved from the pen to the stable, so some manipulation can be done to obtain the gender you want by saving the game before moving a Chocobo to the stable. Move the first Great Chocobo to its stable and find out its gender. Exit the farm and save the game. Re-enter and move the next Great Chocobo to its stable. If it is not the opposite gender, load the game and try again until you get the opposite gender.

Once you have both a male and female Great Chocobo, speak to Chloe in the barn. She can inspect a Chocobo’s stats for you. Find out which of your Great Chocobo has the better stats (Speed, Stamina and Intelligence/Co-operation). Feed your best Great Chocobo ten Sylkis Greens. Once you have done this, enter this Chocobo in the Chocobo Racing event in the Gold Saucer.

Every Chocobo has four Classes – C, B, A and S. All Chocobos begin in C Class, and the more races your Chocobo wins, the better offspring it will produce. The goal is to race with your best Chocobo (the one you fed Sylkis Greens to) and win four times. While racing, it is best to switch to Manual mode by pressing :touchpad: because the Chocobo AI does many pointless movements and wastes too much stamina. You can speed up with :square: and slow down with :cross:. If you are having trouble, try dashing ahead of your opponents with :circle: and running in front of them, thus blocking them from passing you. Don’t forget to press :r1: and :r2: to refill your stamina. You will earn the (B) Chocochampion trophy upon winning your first Chocobo race if you did not obtain it when you escaped Corel Prison.

When your best Chocobo has accumulated four wins at the races, it is time for to breed. In order to breed two Chocobos, you will need to use Nuts. To obtain a Blue and a Green Chocobo, Carob Nuts must be used. They can be stolen from the Vlakrados enemy, located in the field south of Bone Village. Steal three or four Carob Nuts.

http://i.imgur.com/Zjxfixp.jpg?1

The Vlakrados enemy that you can steal Carob Nuts from.

Save your game. In the Chocobo Ranch, breed your two Great Chocobos using a Carob Nut and you will receive a Blue or a Green Chocobo. If you do not, load your game and try again. Exit the farm and defeat three to ten random encounters. Save your game, return to the ranch, and breed your Chocobos again using a Carob Nut. If you do not receive the opposite color and gender Chocobo as your first one, load your game and try again (for example, if your first Chocobo was a Male Green Chocobo, you need a Female Blue Chocobo).

Edited by luffybuggy
Editorial Sweep

Breeding a Black Chocobo

Feed your newly hatched Chocobo with the best stats ten Sylkis Greens, and then race with it enough times so that it accumulates a total of nine wins. Engage in three to eighteen random encounters on the world map in order to age your baby Chocobos so they are old enough to breed. Now this is the part that gets controversial. You need to breed the brother and sister Green and Blue Chocobos using a Carob Nut in order to hatch a Black Chocobo. Be sure to save before attempting this. If you do not receive a Black Chocobo, load the game and try again.

Breeding a Gold Chocobo

This is the final step of this sidequest. Now that you have a Black Chocobo, you can finally work on breeding a Gold Chocobo. To breed a Gold Chocobo, you need to breed a Black Chocobo with a Wonderful Chocobo. To catch a Wonderful Chocobo, seek the Chocobo tracks near Icicle Inn and encounter a wild Chocobo. If it is accompanied by one or two Jumping enemies, it is a Wonderful Chocobo. Use a Reagan Greens on the Chocobo and dispatch the enemies, and send the Chocobo back to the farm. Before sending the Wonderful Chocobo into a stable, save the game, and reload until the Wonderful Chocobo is the opposite gender of the Black Chocobo.

http://i.imgur.com/QA3Kljl.jpg?1

The location of the Icicle Inn Chocobo tracks.

Now that you have a Black Chocobo and a Wonderful Chocobo, feed your Chocobo with the best stats ten Sylkis Greens and race it until it has accumulated a total of twelve wins. Engage in three to eighteen random encounters so that your Black Chocobo is old enough to breed. In order to breed a Gold Chocobo, you will need to use a Zeio Nut. This nut can be stolen from the goblin enemies on Goblin Island, situated in the northeastern section of the world map. This island can only be accessed by the Highwind.

http://i.imgur.com/6i42qJ0.jpg?1

The location of Goblin Island.

http://i.imgur.com/4DVdNA2.jpg?1

The Goblin enemy that you can steal Zeio Nuts from.

Once you have a Zeio Nut, save your game, and breed your Class A Black Chocobo with your Class A Wonderful Chocobo. The end result should be a Gold Chocobo. If not, reload your game and try again.

In summary,

Great Chocobo + Great Chocobo + 4 racing wins + Carob Nut = Blue Chocobo

Great Chocobo + Great Chocobo + 4 racing wins + Carob Nut = Green Chocobo

Blue Chocobo + Green Chocobo + 9 racing wins + Carob Nut = Black Chocobo

Black Chocobo + Wonderful Chocobo + 12 racing wins + Zeio Nut = Gold Chocobo

Knights of the Round Materia

With the Gold Chocobo, you can travel to any area of the world map. Use your Gold Chocobo to travel across the ocean to the northeastern section of the world map to a hidden island surrounded by mountains. With the Gold Chocobo, you can cross the mountains and enter the cave. Inside the cave, you will find the Knights of the Round Materia, and you will finally earn the (S) Roundtable Destruction trophy.

http://i.imgur.com/9MXazoZ.jpg?1

Location of the hidden cave that contains the Knights of the Round Materia.

http://i.imgur.com/o9AklrP.jpg?1

Location of the Knights of the Round Materia in the hidden cave.

Edited by luffybuggy
Editorial Sweep

It would be faster to just kill Ruby Weapon and do that, but not everyone wants to use God Mode, and fighting Ruby Weapon without Knights of the Round (which you need a Gold Chocobo for anyway) is really difficult.

I know what you were doing when writing this guide! I simply wanted to provide an easy solution for those, that use boosters and don't want to spend time on the breeding mechanic (which I found rather boring back in the original, when you were actually forced to use it, because you weren't able to down Ruby without KotR). :)

Excellent guide but just to add a little information that could potential save people some time.

Your Chocobo's don't have to both be A Ranked, i think the magic number for the gold chocobo is win 12 races at the saucer iirc from the Playstation era, i did 9 with my Wonderful Chocobo which took it up to S Rank.

Then did 3 with my Black Chocobo just to make sure which got it to Class B, i then exited the saucer and saved on the plains outside the chocobo breeder and entered and didnt even need to reload as i got a Gold Chocobo first time.

I just split the races between the 2 Chocobos i was hoping to breed because some of the S-Class races are an absolute bitch to finish.

included a few pics as a bit proof

12342668_199452907058074_7399393534486120060_n.jpg?oh=57168881ca3289ae6e9c082501b827cc&oe=56D6A0FB

12376242_199452903724741_3912262285533171549_n.jpg?oh=fce681e391ae94b8da758614c4cb20db&oe=57149C55

12347874_199452910391407_5476735132739950718_n.jpg?oh=90ceb8889f358a49d122f1bd88db74ad&oe=56E38869

12345414_199454020391296_4222425129317990231_n.jpg?oh=45f8d3d5151e4ab46b37e5061ec3b2eb&oe=571F580B

Thanks for the guide!

I think I need a bit of help. So I have gotten my first two great chocobos, and have feed one of them.

Now, when I'm racing, the one who was feed, wins on automatic, no problems. The other one, can't do anything. If I go manual controls, and sprint the entire race, I still finish last.

Should I just grind more gill, and feed that one too?

Thanks for the guide!

I think I need a bit of help. So I have gotten my first two great chocobos, and have feed one of them.

Now, when I'm racing, the one who was feed, wins on automatic, no problems. The other one, can't do anything. If I go manual controls, and sprint the entire race, I still finish last.

Should I just grind more gill, and feed that one too?

I had the same problem. However you can win all the chocobo races on 1 of your great chocobos, as long as the 2 chocobos mating have a combined number of wins then you can get the green/blue. I got the one I fed 10 greens up to rank A and the other was still winless and got the green/blue

I had the same problem. However you can win all the chocobo races on 1 of your great chocobos, as long as the 2 chocobos mating have a combined number of wins then you can get the green/blue. I got the one I fed 10 greens up to rank A and the other was still winless and got the green/blue

That sounds good, I'm gonna try it out!

Thanks for the help.

[Edit]

It worked wonders! Now I'm just stuck on the next stage. My green chocobo wins easily, but with my blue, I still can't win a c event.

Edited by Monstruz

That sounds good, I'm gonna try it out!

Thanks for the help.

[Edit]

It worked wonders! Now I'm just stuck on the next stage. My green chocobo wins easily, but with my blue, I still can't win a c event.

Hey, same thing applies here. As long as 1 of the 2 chocobos has enough wins (9 total) you should be ok. I fed 10 greens to my Green, won 9 races to earn S rank and then mated it with the blue chocobo and got a black.

Hope that helps

Just got my KoR. In a single afternoon. As long as Joe doesn't race, can pretty much get all my Chocobos to Rank A on automatic.

x3 boost is awesome for skipping this boring event. You don't like x3 boost? I don't much care.

Is it just me, or did they swap the color palletes for Yellow and Gold?

They look wrong. But maybe I am remembering it wrong.

This "steam" port has a lot of little glitches and bugs that weren't in the PS1 copy, that I recall.

Ita not all right.

If you didnt get the wish colored chocobo, you need to feed one chocobo and try it again. The randon battles didnt reset the resetter (that count only for ps4 and pc).

And the parent chocobos didnt need b class. They are need an amount of four victories. And the blue and green pair need an amount of 9 victories. Only the black chocobo need s rank and the wonderfull a rank

Edited by Bilal

Hey, same thing applies here. As long as 1 of the 2 chocobos has enough wins (9 total) you should be ok. I fed 10 greens to my Green, won 9 races to earn S rank and then mated it with the blue chocobo and got a black.

Hope that helps

Yeah I got it to work. I ended up feeding both my wonderfull and black chocobo 10 greens, and got them both to a rank.

Got the gold chocobo right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I screw up? Since the soft reset trick doesn't work here, if I don't get the chocobo I want through mating, I reset, go through some battles, save and mate again. (supposed to advance the generator mechanism or something) This works, although I seem to recall in the PS1 version that you didn't have to do more battles?

But this doesn't work at all when catching a chocobo and determining its gender when moving it into a stable. Either it doesn't work or I'm unlucky as all hell. I always, always always get the same damn thing. When catching the good and great chocobos, I always had to go catch more because saving before gender determination always yielded the same thing. Always.

So I went a caught a wonderful chocobo and THEN will breed a black one with my green and blue ones. So I can use the reset/battle thing to get the right black chocobo, instead of being stuck with the same gender wonderful chocobo to try and match it with whatever black I get.

So will that make it easier? I'm asking because apparently getting a wonderful chocobo is super rare, but I got one in not even 15 minutes of trying. But in case it is rare, I don't want to have to keep catching them.

I got a Black Chocobo and just got 12 wins, now im going to catch a Wonderful Chocobo then do I need to get 12 wins with him also??

All good, I just feed the Wonderful Chocobo 10 nuts then mated them while my Wonderful was still class C and got a Golden Chocobo right off the bat :)

:dance:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

''Once you have both a male and female Great Chocobo, speak to Chloe in the barn. She can inspect a Chocobo’s stats for you. Find out which of your Great Chocobo has the better stats (Speed, Stamina and Intelligence/Co-operation). Feed your best Great Chocobo ten Sylkis Greens. Once you have done this, enter this Chocobo in the Chocobo Racing event in the Gold Saucer.''

I have a great male and female but when I talk to her she just goes on about white chocobos rather than telling me the stats, what do I need to do?