NPD: Mass Effect 3 Doubles Opening Month Sales of ME2
Written Friday, April 13, 2012 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
NPD Group has released its March 2012 retail sales report, detailing software and hardware figures in the US for last month. It’s not very pretty, with total physical sales down 25% year-on-year.
On the software front, Mass Effect 3 clocked in as the best-selling title, with debut monthly sales twice that of Mass Effect 2′s 2010 effort. It should be noted, however, that the sci-fi RPG launched on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. ME2 launched on just PC and Xbox 360.
Meanwhile, Xbox 360 made it 15 months in a row as the best-selling console, with over 371,000 sales.
The overall picture is poor, however. Total industry retail sales fell 25% year-over-year to $1.1 billion. Software is down 26% year-on-year to $585.1 million. Hardware is down 35% year-on-year to $323.5 million.
NPD analyst Anita Frazier isn’t surprised. Indeed, she rightly identifies revenue streams beyond retail as constituting an increasingly meaningful chunk of the industry.
“Outside of new physical retail sales, we find that the consumer spend on content on used games, rentals, subscriptions, mobile games, social network games, digital full game downloads and add-on content accounted for an additional $2.5 billion to $2.7 billion across the US, UK France and Germany in Q1 2012,” she said.
SCEA’s Sr. Director of Corporate Communications echoed a similar sentiment. “We’re seeing strong digital downloads across the board,” he said, “including full digital-only purchases and extremely high conversion rates for digital demos to full game purchases with titles such as Unit 13, which showcases PS Vita’s unique 3G and shooter capabilities.”
You can find the full results below, for the period spanning February 26 to March 31, a five-week span.
- Mass Effect 3 – PC, PS3, 360 – EA
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City – PS3, 360 – Capcom
- MLB: The Show – PS3, Vita – Sony
- NBA 2K12 – PC, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, 360 PS2 – Take 2
- SSX 2012 – PS3, 360 -EA
- Street Fighter X Tekken – PS3, 360 – Capcom
- Mario Party 9 – Wii – Nintendo
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – PC, PS3, Wii, 360 – Activision
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm – PS3, 360 – Namco Bandai
- MLB 2K12 NDS, PC, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, 360 – Take 2
- Xbox 360 - 371,000 (-14.3 per cent)
- PlayStation 3 - ~337,000 (-7.7 per cent)
- 3DS - 225,000 (-43.8 per cent)
- Wii - 175,000 (-39.7 per cent)