There are area specific trophies, which are “Arctic Explorer”, “Urban Explorer”, “Highlands Explorer” & “Blight Explorer”. Even if you’ve obtain those trophies, it doesn’t necessarily mean you'll obtain this trophy. This one requires you to discover all named locations and uncover all the black spots/grey areas on your map, even if they don’t have a name. Not all locations are mentioned in those 4 trophies either. There are many more locations than just the ones mentioned. If you've obtained any of those 4 trophies, you don't have to go to those locations again. You've discovered all you can there is to discover there.
Before trying to obtain this trophy, progress through the main story line enough, or completely finish it to open up every possible area. Also complete every side mission first (the “Did It All” trophy), doing this will make you discover many areas. Some areas can only be discovered by starting certain side missions. Check the 4 mentioned trophies before to see which Main/Side missions you need to complete. For the rest of the map, either use the world map (spoiler tag) or use the following list.
To discover every location which aren't mentioned in the 4 other trophies, you'll have to start/complete the following.
- Main Missions: All
- Side Missions: Clan War: Starting the War / Clan War: First Place / Clan War: Reach the Dead Drop / Clan War: End of the Rainbow / Splinter Group / The Cold Shoulder / / Minecart Mischief / The Lost Treasure / Swallowed Whole.
There's no way of checking what areas you've discovered, other then to keep a checklist of every possible (new) named location when you enter them and compare them with the world map below (spoiler tag). (There are also a few area specific challenges which require you to discover a certain area. You don't have to complete these, but check these challenges to see if you've missed an area.) You can discover every location in co-op and obtain the related trophies. However, If you discover any location in co-op and you return back to single play and want to finish discovering the locations there, you'll need to discover the locations you've discovered in co-op again. Even though they already show up as discovered.
If you're missing any of the 4 mentioned trophies, or the World Explorer trophy itself:
- Did you complete the main story?
- Did you complete all the side missions?
- Have you played co-op? Have you discovered any new locations in co-op? Are you going to finish the explorer trophies in single play?
- Yes? You'll need to discover these locations in your single player game again.
- Did you obtain any of the 4 explorer trophies?
- Yes? You don't have to go to those locations again.
- The map itself should have a complete white outline, or an area with white stripes (death zone). The area itself should be completely filled with the same colour, so you might have missed a small spot (grey areas). Few examples:
Still missing something? These are some easily missed locations:
- Southern Shelf - Bay - Ebonfloe & Ice Flows
- Wildlife Exploitation Preserve - Casa de Mordecai
- Sawtooth Cauldron - Avie's Camp
- Eridium Blight - Infused Grotto
For more specific locations and details, please consult the complete World Map: