Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

How does the story flow work? (minimal spoilers)

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I don't want to look through the other threads in fear of spoilers. So, please don't answer my question with something that's gonna ruin the story for me. If my answer will be revealed eventually, just let me know that and don't tell me.

Anyway, here's what I mean: I got to a certain point where it didn't let me go on anymore, so I had to go back to something earlier. This already confused me, because I thought each different path was simply a unique way to go through the game, so why would I reach a dead end and have to go back? But what made my confusion even worse is my character was talking about knowing what was going to happen, and time travel. That leads me to believe that the first path I took influenced this one. I was already really impressed that they could have such variety in the different paths (presumably, of course. This is my first time through the game), but do they seriously change it even based on the ORDER you go through them? So does that mean that, in order to get all the possible storylines, you would have to play through all 22 of the endings MULTIPLE times? Because that's pretty nuts if it's true. I'm also about to go back and test what happens if I make the same choice I did the first time. I'm quite confused and very curious now, some answers or at least hints would be nice. Thanks.

Cant completely answer you question because its about the story but no you dont have to play the same routes again and nothing new happens if you do but rather you continue from where it ended last time because it was locked before something happened. Press start and go to the flow chart to access the part it ended without starting again.

Edited by Figma

Alright, so I've played the game a little more now and have a decent idea of how this works, but I still have one question, so long as it doesn't ruin anything for me:

[spoiler=u982jfej28ejdsf]So the part I was referring to earlier was allying/betraying Alice. I got to a part where Quark only had one dose of medicine in his pocket, which resulted in a lock, and went back to the part with Alice. This time I chose to betray her. I didn't get a trophy for completing a lock, though, so that couldn't have been a lock. So why would the dialogue change if it wasn't a lock? OR, was that supposed to happen? No matter when you choose to betray Alice, he talks about time travel and crap? Because I did the same with Phi later; I allied her first, which got her yelling at me about my betraying her. Only difference is that was a lock and got me a lock trophy, so I would think it would be the same for Alice. Gah, this is one big headache. Basically what I'm asking is why I got different dialogue with Alice than I would have if I had betrayed her in the first place.

Alright, so I've played the game a little more now and have a decent idea of how this works, but I still have one question, so long as it doesn't ruin anything for me:

Allying/betraying at that point starts you down two different paths (you can see them in the flow chart) but in order to get past that lock, you need something from an entirely different path. Just keep playing through the various routes and you'll eventually get what you need. (The lock icon will turn green once you have what you need to get past it.)

With regards to your other questions, it is confusing but it's part of the story, so just keep playing and it will eventually be addressed. Basically, there is an in-universe explanation for the fact that you can jump around the flow chart.

Definitely take a look at the optimal path guide in the trophy guide. Basically, sometimes you won't be able to proceed unless you know something from a different path first. If you don't wanna follow any sort of guide, just keep playing open paths and eventually you'll unlock some new ones on the way. You'll figure out how it all works just by playing some more. It's kinda weird how the game works, but the mutiple timelines and all that is all part of the story.

Edited by Pyramat

• 8 months later...

So, I feel like quite an idiot. I'm about 21 hours in and only just realized you could jump back to points in the story using the story flow. I'd been playing the game over every time from the start and just using the option to fast forward the dialogue.

Should go much quicker now that I've discovered this shortcut, but I must say, I find the story lines much harder to follow this way. All of a sudden a character will say something which I think I know about, only to see my character get surprised about it.