Ball Out!

hostelmovies

Practice makes perfect :p

The ball in Zen pinball spins a lot and the tables are IMO a bit faster than real ones. But after a while, you'll find that the spinning ball actually makes it a lot more predictable than real pinball. I've played Zen a lot over the last year and now, I can keep my game going for hours at a time if I wanted to. That's pretty much impossible for me on a real table...

BTW I never played any tourneys, but I do have the highscore on every table in every bar in a 15 mile radius from my home :p

Edited by steviej

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly the fact the tables react predictably takes away from the realstic feel of the game. However, you will learn certain positions on the tables react the same Exact way every time. Once you understand certain positions and angles the game will become much easier.

I've gotten quite good with the out-lane bangback on ZEN. I can never do it on a real table.

When I worked at the local movie theatre, I would close the arcade and play for hours on the tables, and had most of the highscores. It got quite frustrating when the servos would blow though.

Your not bad, this game is far more difficult than any pinball table or pinball video game I've ever played.

-Ball Saves will shoot right into the Ball Out zone most the time.

-Every Pinball game I have ever played doesn't reset the table until all balls are lost, not just one.

-Nudging can be irresponsive or inaccurate.

-Sometimes the ball will keep heading in the same place when hit at almost any angle/time.

-The layout makes it either too difficult to keep the ball in play or make a specific shot.

I hear a lot of practice makes perfect, but I would rather play a Pinball game I can enjoy without screaming "WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by BonesJustice

Try a different controller layout. I and most of the people I know use their right analog stick to nudge.

I use the Left Analog to nudge. I use my right thumb for switching views, and shooting the ball. My left thumb is free so I use that. I know its not my controller because its a DualShock 3 and works perfectly on every other game. I've practiced with nudging and its about every 2 nudges, the 3rd won't respond. Sometimes a nudge will hardly do anything, be too powerful or go in the wrong direction. This is while practicing with a ball stuck behind a paddle and experienced while playing. I checked my movements and it is without any doubt, a flaw in the game.

I use the Left Analog to nudge. I use my right thumb for switching views, and shooting the ball. My left thumb is free so I use that. I know its not my controller because its a DualShock 3 and works perfectly on every other game. I've practiced with nudging and its about every 2 nudges, the 3rd won't respond. Sometimes a nudge will hardly do anything, be too powerful or go in the wrong direction. This is while practicing with a ball stuck behind a paddle and experienced while playing. I checked my movements and it is without any doubt, a flaw in the game.

Ooh I know what you mean now. It's happened to me quite a few times aswell. It usually happens when the dotmatrix is counting a score after completing some objective. Very annoying indeed. When you've scored somewhere, just avoid nudging straight away and catch it first (if possible).

As for it being to powerful from time to time. The nudging is actually pressure and direction sensitive. I know you don't like hearing this, but after some practice and playing around with it, you can use this to your advantage.