Harry94_

What would you rate this game?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate this game?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8671/gamereviewthreadheader.png

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6034/averagereviewscore5.png

Average Game Rating = 5.0

How To Review

1. Please don't post a review without having played the game first!
  2. Please don't post a review unless you have played alot of hours or have completed the game.
  3. Please DON'T write any spoilers. If in doubt contact me.
  4. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the 'Multiplayer Experience' heading.
  5. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.
  6. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.
  7. Anybody can review, you dont have to write a huge review. Just your thoughts on the game.
  8. Review what YOU think & don’t be influenced by others.

Template

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound (Gameplay):

Sound (Music):

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience:

Rent or Buy this Game?

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll!

Please Use the above as a template for your review. But if you want you can add your own titles. Remember to use the poll!

NOTE: This is not a discussion thread, please only post your reviews. Any other posts will be deleted.

Please don't create these type of threads yourself, If you need further assistance contact:

:psn: Harry94

:psn: OLIVERMC97

Edited by Harry94_

this game is awful. The camera is usually zoomed in on you so it's hard to see around you, but then again the game expects you to "explore" for hidden items... so sometimes, the item is below you, sometimes you'll fall to your death. The weapons and abilities are lame and frustrating to use. The enemies are repetitive. There's this lame perspective aspect to the 2D platforming... and sometimes you'll be be jumping on the platform, sometimes you'll fall through it.

The graphics may be pretty, and the music isn't offensive, but the good things stop there. This is one of the most unpolished and obnoxious games I've ever played. I want my money back.

• 4 months later...

I wasn't that impressed. The platform sections aren't that solid due to the glitchy nature of Zack's jumping actions. Every now and then I would get stuck in between walls for whatever reason too.

The camera could be a nuisance sometimes and actually block my view which led to annoying deaths. Lastly, I felt that a good musical score was severely lacking in this game. Not my favorite game experience, 4/10.

• 2 months later...

Story:

Evil guy kidnaps good guy's girlfriend, he sets out to get her back. Nothing fancy here, story gets told in comic like cut scenes, with a somewhat cheesy narrator.

Gameplay & Controls:

Both in the range of mediocre to average. It appears as a solid 2D platformer with interesting level design, but it certainly has its flaws:

• Layers: Early on you're introduced to a layered design, similar to LBP. But the game hasn't much use for it, apart from a few places (2, IIRC) where you have to jump onto a platform in the background and have difficulties to achieve that.
  • Weapons: Unbalanced. Some weapons are more useful than others, if it wasn't for the trophies I would have only used the standard attacks and the ice wind, everything else is too slow, costs too much energy and doesn't seem to deal more damage anyway. Plus, on short distance, most weapons' effects are limited to your layer, the earth spikes being the worst which will hit nothing on a different layer, regardless of distance
  • Enemy spawning: I can live with enemies spawning to the left and to the right simultaneously, even right in your face out of the background if you're not careful. But some enemies spawn on a different layer and if you're too close, not even your standard attack will hit them. That earthquacke stomp helps IIRC, but most of the time I found myself backing off and simply spamming ice wind or standard discus attacks.
  • Jumping and shooting: You can't jump and shoot at the same time. If you have shot your discus, you'll have to wait until it returns to jump. This may be intentional, but it's very annoing in the boss fights, where you have small time frames to shoot and constantly have to evade their attacks. One shot too many won't let you evade by jumping when you need it the most, you get hit and probably die. A lot. A good thing though, once you reach a mid-fight cut-scene, the next time you die, the boss still has the reduced health while you're back to maximum. Otherwise the overall difficulty would have been much higher. Which let me to the (cheap) tactic to take my chances and spam the crap out of a boss whenever I thought that the next cut-scene should be near.
  • Restarting levels: Only levels you already completed can be replayed at the level select screen, and it doesn't change your progress in the current level, just press continue and you're back at your last checkpoint. That's nice to breeze through earlier levels to find all treasures once you have more advanced weapons. It's not nice if the game glitches on you, you cannot finish that level, cannot restart it and the only way to get past that level is delete your save and all your progress and start from the very beginning. As you may have guessed, that happened to me at lvl 5, thankfully I already had all combat related trophies, so when replaying lvl 1 to 4 I 'only' needed to get all treasures and as much as XP as possible. AGAIN... The game seems to support multiple saves somehow, but I haven't found out how to create them...
  • Experience points: Collect green orbs and red hopping objects to level up your suit, the way your weapons advance is predetermined. Halfway through the game you're already more powerful than necessary. Nothing fancy here, wouldn't have been much different if you would have gotten a new feature after every level or boss fight.

Graphics:

Very nice looking with good detail.

Sound:

Good enough, but unobtrusive. Can't remember, but at least it wasn't annoying.

Wow Factor:

The graphics. But once you've played a bit, the issues of the gameplay dominate.

Replay Value:

After you got all trophies? Not much.

Multiplayer Experience:

N/A

Rent or Buy this Game?

If it wasn't a PSN title I would say rent. OK on the summer sale for 3€. I just played it for a top 5 place in the maximum club.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating:

It's OK, I guess a 4 for its average gameplay is justified. Boss fights are slightly annoying. If I had encountered more glitches, it would have been less.

Edited by dcdfan
added some line breaks

• 4 months later...

Overall, I would give this a 4. Not because there is a ton of bad points, just that there are not a lot of good ones. Gameplay is fun enough, for awhile. Simple platforming sometimes is a nice break from other things. There is the problem, as previously mentioned here, of the layering and most of your guns inabilities to hit on multiple layers, which kinda takes away from the whole thing. Also, other than the artifact searching, it's pretty much the same thing over and over. It's fun for a bit, but for those looking to 100%, the fun doesn't last until the end and it becomes a bit of a grind, albeit an easy one.

But you know what? I think I bought this game for like $2 and I don't regret it. It was a decent change of pace, a moderate challenge (maybe your girlfriend or young nephew or something would like it as well), and a standard number of trophies. All quirks aside, I would say pick this up if you got some cash to throw around.

• 2 months later...