What a great Game!

Just beat the game for the 3rd time (on my way to the plat)... and I'm just beside myself regarding how much fun I had (having) with this game.

I find myself completing things that are not trophy related ( for example - catching all the fish) for the heck of it.

Simply put, I love the franchise and hope it continues for a very long time.

I would agree.....to a point. I feel this is the weakest of franchise. I love it, dont get me wrong. Its just, theres things that arent what I would consider to be awesome.

For example:

1. Some mutants are just copies of Other games zombies. Fattie and Cry Baby from L4D and the first prototype is just a Licker from Resident Evil.

2. Shooting gets old. I miss melee and all the ridiculous Heat Actions!

3. Story is meh at best. I dont feel they captured all 4 characters as well as they did in Yak4, even tho i despised Tanimura and Saejima.

4. Villains are lame. DD especially. He/she has almost zero story or development.

5. Hasegawa needs her story expanded on.

6. Pachinko.

7. Hostesses.

Now, the good.

1. GORO MAJIMA!!!!!! 'Nuff said.

2. Shun Akiyama is still such a pimp. Still.

3. The scene near the end where Kiryu blasts and tosses that prototype like a ragdoll. Epic.

4. Yakuza's take on zombies doesnt feel generic.

5. Majimas substory "The Sixth Chairman's Woes". Funny shit. And the kiss? How romantic!;)

All in all, its a fantastic game. And a wonderful addition to the series. I just hope that Yak5 gets back to a real story. And Id like to see it knocked down to 1 or 2 playable characters, not 4.

Id give it a 9.3/10.

Edited by kakihara301

I will admit that I'm looking at (enjoying) the game through the previous 4 titles. Additionally, recognizing that this is a 'one-off' (much like Yakuza Kenzan), I will not fault it for the shooting mechanics or absents of melee combat.

However, you have me cornered on the L4D/RE comparisons. I have been gaming a long time (commodore 64) and have never been into the zombie theme. So, some of the faults outlined above are new to me.

Suspension of critical observation on this one is a given... so I wasn't as hard on the lake of clarity on some character and plot points.

In short, you points are very valid; I'm just more forgiving on this one.

I will admit that I'm looking at (enjoying) the game through the previous 4 titles. Additionally, recognizing that this is a 'one-off' (much like Yakuza Kenzan), I will not fault it for the shooting mechanics or absents of melee combat.

However, you have me cornered on the L4D/RE comparisons. I have been gaming a long time (commodore 64) and have never been into the zombie theme. So, some of the faults outlined above are new to me.

Suspension of critical observation on this one is a given... so I wasn't as hard on the lake of clarity on some character and plot points.

In short, you points are very valid; I'm just more forgiving on this one.

This might be one of the best and well written responses Ive ever read on a forum.:applause:

And I agree. If this was another game, Id be more critical. But its a Yakuza game. And a "spin-off" of sort. So I still love it.

While I do like this game, this game isn't without it's flaws in my opinion.

Examples:

-I felt the substories weren't as good as the substories for the previous Yakuza games.

-The game story wise was shorter than the previous Yakuza games and not quite as good story wise as the previous Yakuza games in my opinion.

-The controls were pretty clunky at times

-The camera at times would point the complete opposite of where my enemies were

-The frame rate at certain times would slow down especially when a bunch of zombies appeared at once

-The friendly AI in this game was god awful which is why I rarely used them when in the quarantine zone.

However, there were quite a few things I liked about this game

Examples:

-I liked being able to play as Goro Majima and Godo Ryuji

-This game didn't bore me to death like some other zombie games did. (I'm looking at you Dead Nation)

- I liked the boss battles especially at the end of the game.

- The Sniper rifle Kiryu uses is pretty badass.

- I liked how they kept some of the mini games even with a different style of gameplay for this game.

I was skeptical about this at first because I knew it was different from the other Yakuza games. But in the end I am glad I gave this a chance and happened to enjoy this game a lot more than I thought I would despite some of it's flaws I stated above.

So pretty much overall I would give this game an overall score of 7.5/10.

im the same way, i like to just participate in all the mini games and complete everything that i like. ( i dont bother with the massage place cuz i just dont like that mini game)

my question is this....have you completed the ufo list? UFO is always the easiest thing for me to complete and it's always the first thing i do...since for whatever reasons, i love playing UFO in yakuza.

anyways, i cant figure out what is under the big piyo chan / above the Manjuro.

its the only one im missing and i've been going to both club sega's constantly since each store would have an exclusive or two.

i talk to the clerk so he can change prizes but it cycles between the same 3 or 4 set ups

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just beat the game for the 3rd time (on my way to the plat)... and I'm just beside myself regarding how much fun I had (having) with this game.

I find myself completing things that are not trophy related ( for example - catching all the fish) for the heck of it.

No offense but the game really isn't that good. I probably give it a 5/10 at the most and thats being fair. The story is plain and the combat is sub-par, I understand for a fan of the series you would give it a high grade but realistically no chance.

It could have been better if they added elements similar to that of a sandbox shooter/RPG like GTA or Infamous with shooter qualities. The controls makes no sense and the camera focusing needs work. The game relies on gun play way too much, you can use melee but why if you can just shot them at will. Sorry SEGA not one of your best work.

I will say Kazuma is the best character, other than that...well you'll play the game and thats it.

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/301/X2AStrikeFreedom.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've been very undecisive about getting this game.

I had Yakuza 1 years back when it came out and I hardly remember it at all or my opinion of it. Didn't bother with Yakuza 2, then a year ago I got Yakuza 3 for cheap, wasn't expecting much and it ends up being one of the best PS3 games I've played (better than GTAIV).

So then I got Yakuza 4 and that was good to, but it was just more of the same, same place with mostly the same things in it, no sunny Okinawa this time but rooftops and sewers and the story was weaker. I also preferred playing as just Kiryu than 4 characters.

Now theres this one and I kinda want it because I like the games and its already cheap but at the same time yet again for the 5th time now the game is set in the same place with mostly the same things in it. Should I get it or not?

You definitely should

Having Kamuroch available in every game is actually a part of the charm.

You come to the long-familiar places and see how they changed, isn't that great?

And in DS there are all the action levels and quarantine zone and destruction everywhere

You definitely should

Having Kamuroch available in every game is actually a part of the charm.

You come to the long-familiar places and see how they changed, isn't that great?

And in DS there are all the action levels and quarantine zone and destruction everywhere

It was cool when I played Yakuza 3 because it brought back vague memories of my old Yakuza 1 days and it was good to re-explore the city, it had the 3D camera aswell so it was a new perspective on the place.

But 5 times is enough isnt it? its also the same place in the PSP games and its going to be in Yakuza 5 aswell. Yakuza 2 and 3 had a small city area (Osaka and Okinawa), Yakuza 4 just had empty rooftops instead.

It was cool when I played Yakuza 3 because it brought back vague memories of my old Yakuza 1 days and it was good to re-explore the city, it had the 3D camera aswell so it was a new perspective on the place.

But 5 times is enough isnt it? its also the same place in the PSP games and its going to be in Yakuza 5 aswell. Yakuza 2 and 3 had a small city area (Osaka and Okinawa), Yakuza 4 just had empty rooftops instead.

Yeah, I agree. I really love Yakuza series, but sometimes it can be a little bit repetitive. At least they could change the clothes of the main characters, like they're going to do in Yakuza 5. Anyway, it seems that we are going to have a lot of new places to explore, and that's nice :D

Yeah, I agree. I really love Yakuza series, but sometimes it can be a little bit repetitive. At least they could change the clothes of the main characters, like they're going to do in Yakuza 5. Anyway, it seems that we are going to have a lot of new places to explore, and that's nice :D

Changing the clothes of kazzy is blasphemy (removing the option of the gray outfit) ... and having a Yakuza game without K-Town would be a little depressing.

Surly you can appreciate the balance of Yakuza 5?

(5 new explorable cities).

Just don't talking about omitting the district of kamurocho :o.

Changing the clothes of kazzy is blasphemy (removing the option of the gray outfit) ... and having a Yakuza game without K-Town would be a little depressing.

Surly you can appreciate the balance of Yakuza 5?

(5 new explorable cities).

Just don't talking about omitting the district of kamurocho :o.

I mean, in Yakuza 3 you had Ryukyu and Kamurocho and it was great. I really wanna see and explore those new places, specially the city located in Hokkaido. Japan has a lot of beautiful places and cities to explore, not only Shinjuku.

And about the outfits, yeah, I like Kiryu's gray outfit, but after all these time I also wanna change clothes, and I mean normal and cool clothes, not the weird stuff that is in the DLC (Pirate Majima WTF?).

I remember in Yakuza 4 there was a hostess (I don't remember her name) that asked Kiryu something about his outfit and one of the replies was "This is the only suit I have" xDDD

I think the clothes he is going to wear in Yakuza 5 are cool and really fits him.

I mean, in Yakuza 3 you had Ryukyu and Kamurocho and it was great. I really wanna see and explore those new places, specially the city located in Hokkaido. Japan has a lot of beautiful places and cities to explore, not only Shinjuku.

And about the outfits, yeah, I like Kiryu's gray outfit, but after all these time I also wanna change clothes, and I mean normal and cool clothes, not the weird stuff that is in the DLC (Pirate Majima WTF?).

I remember in Yakuza 4 there was a hostess (I don't remember her name) that asked Kiryu something about his outfit and one of the replies was "This is the only suit I have" xDDD

I think the clothes he is going to wear in Yakuza 5 are cool and really fits him.

lol! Yes I remember.

That line ("..only suit I have") is the best line of all time. I understand; and I'm with you.

To your point, it would be nice to have more options outside of the Grey and Black suits (I never felt comfortable wearing the Sunshine Orphanage gear in K-Town).

I just need to have the grey suit with the burgundy shirt ready for the final boss fight.... because kicking ass wouldn't be the same without it!

• 1 month later...

I am at the end of my dead souls mode playthrough. Man I have to say is fuck the part when you are getting the weapon smith. The person where you get your awesome rifle for kiryu. I just really hate that part. Also one of other thing I hate about this mode. Zombies don't give a fuck. They just ram right into you.

Anyway, this game is fucking awesome. I know this story is the weakest in the story, but what I really loved about this game was that, sega could just take such a wacky turn with there game. Like what rockstar did with read dead.

• 2 months later...

This is one of those games that make you wan't to kill everyone associated with the game with a rusty knife.

It's astonishing how much bad designing you can fit in a one game.

Bad controls - checked

Bad camera - checked

Cheap enemies - checked

shitty AI - checked

Insane amount of rehashing - checked

Lame mini games - checked

Shitty melee combat - checked

Bad framerate - checked (though this doesn't happen that regularly)

and like million other things that make you veins burst. Only reason why these developers can keep their job that it probably doesn't cost SEGA nothing to make these games because only thing that team has to do is copy pasta the last game and pay the janitor to come up with new story.

This is the team's fifth Yakuza came and they still haven't even tried to fucking fix the clunky ass controls. How more lazier can they get.

But don't get me wrong. This game has some good things going on but it's hard to enjoy the game because those good things are buried by truckload of horse shit.

Edited by Winkuru

• 2 months later...

Yakuza 3 was my first contact with the series and it took me months to complete this game on Easy.

Main reason: Those damn random encounters! Not only don't they make any sense whatsoever: They also happened WAY too frequently.

Dead Souls on the other hand took me only one and half week on Normal.

Very enjoyable! I especially liked the twisted sense of humor. Plus, I got to play as my favorite character from Yakuza 3, Goro Majima.

Yeah, the shooting controls are sluggish and the story is laughably weak, but I don't care. Once again Yakuza won me over with its great characters.

Already started my second playthrough on Dead Souls. This time however, I will push a little more onward. Want to do most of the remaining things once I cleared Dead Souls mode and transfered my character back to EX Hard.

• 1 month later...

Really? I thought this game kind of sucked, but I will confess that the minigames remain great. The shooter action is just terrible, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yakuza 3 was my first contact with the series and it took me months to complete this game on Easy.

Main reason: Those damn random encounters! Not only don't they make any sense whatsoever: They also happened WAY too frequently.

Dead Souls on the other hand took me only one and half week on Normal.

Very enjoyable! I especially liked the twisted sense of humor. Plus, I got to play as my favorite character from Yakuza 3, Goro Majima.

Yeah, the shooting controls are sluggish and the story is laughably weak, but I don't care. Once again Yakuza won me over with its great characters.

Already started my second playthrough on Dead Souls. This time however, I will push a little more onward. Want to do most of the remaining things once I cleared Dead Souls mode and transfered my character back to EX Hard.

IDK Yakuza DS got boring pretty quick for me.

The loading times are SOOOO much worse in this game due to having to enter quarantine areas so often.

awkward controls, weak story, and not enough variety IMO with weapons, armors, accessories.

Didn't really realize Goro Majima was such a dick until I played some of his Sub-Stories lol. His karaoke song is hilarious.

Also I found The Quarantine Areas annoying. The Zombie Spawn times are ridiculous. Being knocked down constantly is not fun lol.

I like the game but there isn't just much good I can say about it. It's definitely the worst of the Yakuza series. Oh and the Forklift mission wasn't the worst thing I encountered but on DS mode is quite unfair. The Forklift puzzle and mission just seemed so unnecessary.

Yakuza 5 however I'll be looking forward to, from what I read it's the biggest Yakuza game with brand new areas, new graphics engine, and improved controls and gameplay and a bigger story. SEGA RELEASE THIS GAME IN THE WEST PLZ.

If anything Sega probably should of invested more time with trying to bring over Yakuza 5 instead of this lol.

I do love the whole directive currency, (more of that in the future please and I would like some super hard awesome items a person can strive for)

Another thing that really annoyed me was getting the hostess's heart bar up, I didn't mind it in the other games but in this game it's annoying due to how you have to constantly leave the quarantine zone to activate scenes... and with the LONG LOADING TIMES...

It's just annoying.

Edited by Hoodieninja86

• 7 months later...

You know, I came back to this game after many months, and it's actually not that bad, once you "get" it.

I thought normal mode was boring as hell. It both blindingly easy and incredibly frustrating simultaneously. But Dead Souls mode? It's frenetic, fast-paced fun. There's no real skill involved - it reminds me more of old top-down 2-D shooters like Smash TV. But once you come to terms with that, it's quite good.

There are a couple of things that annoy me, though. The spawning zombies are ridiculous. I particularly like when you liberate a club, you're forced to enter the club, and when you are back outside, you're right in the thick of it. Unfortunately, the zombies are much more trained on you than you are on them, so you're usually taking pain.

Also - what the hell is up with liberating clubs? Am I really supposed to believe that Club Jewel is just business as usual with bloodthirsty zombies out the door? And why do the doors to the clubs hold while the partitions of the SDF collapse? It makes no sense.

With regards to partners, I think people are being a little unfair. I find that the "Back Me Up" tactic works well for the most part, and I find partners to be remarkably useful in the underground (particularly Marina, who can have 5 first aid kits that regenerate). They take the attention of around half the zombies, which really makes things more manageable.

I would also mention that I actually think it's more fun to do substories on Dead Souls mode, as well as your grinding. Extra Hard just doesn't cut it.

SO all in all, I change my mind on this one. No, it's not Yakuza 3 or Yakuza 4, but it's still good fun.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 1 year later...