How long can a game really go on?

pmm_fin

I'm on my first playthrough on the easy difficulty and everything really seems to go by fast. The game is not too hard but I never really have any funds to build everything I could or reasearch all the stuff.

The question is, can I just ignore my priority goals (I guess they advance the plot)? I already raided alien base and should research hyperwave communication next but I really would want to take my time, do missions, build, research etc. Last time I played X-Com was Apocalypse on PC in 90's and if I remember correctly, all went to hell as time progressed so you really were supposed to act quickly.

ps. How can I build interceptors and drop ships? I think I only have two I got initially and would want to locate more around the world soon that I get next to satellites launched.

I'm on my first playthrough on the easy difficulty and everything really seems to go by fast. The game is not too hard but I never really have any funds to build everything I could or reasearch all the stuff.

The question is, can I just ignore my priority goals (I guess they advance the plot)? I already raided alien base and should research hyperwave communication next but I really would want to take my time, do missions, build, research etc. Last time I played X-Com was Apocalypse on PC in 90's and if I remember correctly, all went to hell as time progressed so you really were supposed to act quickly.

ps. How can I build interceptors and drop ships? I think I only have two I got initially and would want to locate more around the world soon that I get next to satellites launched.

You CAN ignore the priority goals. As a matter of fact, I did that for my previous playthrough. I don't think I ever entered the Alien Base until November of my first year (researched everything I could before). The one downside to that was however I had to deal with 3 sectopods in the alien base :-/. I would actually recommend taking your time, getting your satellites operational, getting research done, etc before progressing the story.

To build new interceptors (you can't build new drop ships), go to the hangar and it will allow you build new ones from there. You do get to build a new ship type, however that can only be built at your base, and you have to transport to the other outposts.

I know you can recover alien grenades from captured mutons and equip those on your soldiers.

However, I have also recovered light plasma rifles from thin men and floaters I think, but have not found any use for those yet.

Maybe I can not equip them yet because I have not researched plasma weapons yet?

Yeah, I'm not really sure why but laser weapons I was able to use when I found them but plasma weapons required research step. After that you can use found weapons, building your own requires yet another research step.

Laser and plasma weapons you have to research before you can use them (I guess to learn how to use them?). While you can use Alien Grenades that you pick up without having to research them, keep one and research them through the Foundry. You will then get unlimited. Otherwise, you can only use as many as you pick up.

The best use of capping live aliens is to acquire the weapons (as killing them makes them drop their weapons though when they fall from a stun they don't drop them?). Also you want to cap all the aliens you can (sans Drone, Sectopod, Cyberdisk and Crysallid) for a single playthrough as they are needed for the Edison trophy. I do think that once you cap an alien alive, you do get their corpse (at least I know you do after you interrogate them).

When going for the long game, how do you control panic levels? I mean in those states where you have satellite already and I've already done the UFO base too. It seems to me that if I don't get assigned missions there, the panic still rises for no apparent reason and I can do nothing about it. When I get abduction missions, it kind of sucks that I always get three at the same time and can only take one and the other two countries get increased panic. I always pick the highest one but the real problem seems to be the countries where nothing happens.

One more: When is the point of no turning back in this game? I built Gollop chamber and wonder how long dare I go before the game ends. I'd like to get all the foundry project done and shoot down some UFO's as the trophy for different kinds has not yet popped. Maybe also leave a savegame to come back to get the female squad, poison curing and other misc ones too.

edit: nevermind, it seems to be right where I am ;)

Edited by pmm_fin

When going for the long game, how do you control panic levels? I mean in those states where you have satellite already and I've already done the UFO base too. It seems to me that if I don't get assigned missions there, the panic still rises for no apparent reason and I can do nothing about it. When I get abduction missions, it kind of sucks that I always get three at the same time and can only take one and the other two countries get increased panic. I always pick the highest one but the real problem seems to be the countries where nothing happens.

I usually plan ahead. If I am not building satellites, I am building a satellite uplink. If multiple countries panic, they can all be taken care of at the same time. Also build the uplinks next to each other. You get an additional satellite for each uplink built adjacent to another.

Additionally, I always have a save between missions. If there was ever a point I did not like the locations, I would reload the previous save and get new locations.