Rate the trophy difficulty...  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the trophy difficulty...

• 1 - Very Easy
    • 10 - Very Hard

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_plat_85.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 8.32

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

Edited by Xander45

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

voting without the platinum trophy = durp

I would normally frown on this too but this game presents its difficulty immediately , after a couple missions ( even on normal) you can just tell its gonna be a bitch. I got 35% of trophies and I can safely say after 20 hrs of gameplay I would give it a 9 butim gonna wait till I try impossible cause it's probably gonna rise to a 10

Hmm, well, it looks like the pinnacle trophy is the ironman on classic. Sure, the impossible mode is tough, but you can reload your game until the rolls go for you. Still, I imagine that either of those two trophies are going to block 90% of everyone who tries to go for it. (I'll be curious to see which one has the higher success rate - I bet more people will have the impossible trophy.)

Hmm, well, it looks like the pinnacle trophy is the ironman on classic. Sure, the impossible mode is tough, but you can reload your game until the rolls go for you. Still, I imagine that either of those two trophies are going to block 90% of everyone who tries to go for it. (I'll be curious to see which one has the higher success rate - I bet more people will have the impossible trophy.)

Uh I don't want to rain on the parade but the Ironman system is pretty basic and easily bypassed. Remember to hold down the PS button, don't just press it.

It's basically autosave with only one save file. If you didn't like the way you missed 3 shots in a row, hold that PS button and quit game.

If enemies get a reaction shots and kill your point man, hold the PS button and quit game.

During alien activity, keep your thumb over PS button, if you don't like what you see you can still hold the ps button, quit game.

In any case you will reload at the start of the previous turn.

Uh I don't want to rain on the parade but the Ironman system is pretty basic and easily bypassed. Remember to hold down the PS button, don't just press it.

It's basically autosave with only one save file. If you didn't like the way you missed 3 shots in a row, hold that PS button and quit game.

If enemies get a reaction shots and kill your point man, hold the PS button and quit game.

During alien activity, keep your thumb over PS button, if you don't like what you see you can still hold the ps button, quit game.

Or you could earn it legitimately...

Or you could earn it legitimately...

Why is that any less legitimate than, say, changing difficulty at the last possible moment in a game to unlock higher difficulty based trophies, something that seems commonly acceptable among trophy hunters? Not trying to pick a fight, but I'm not seeing much difference here. :)

Why is that any less legitimate than, say, changing difficulty at the last possible moment in a game to unlock higher difficulty based trophies, something that seems commonly acceptable among trophy hunters? Not trying to pick a fight, but I'm not seeing much difference here. :)

Yah, some illegitimate methods have gained common acceptance among trophy hunters. Cooperating with your opponents to unlock multiplayer trophies aka boosting seems to have gained acceptance with the trophy hunting community too. In my opinion all 3 of these methods are illegitimate. I don't mind if other people use them. But I want to earn them legitimately.

Sorry to reiterate, but just so I understand, if I lose a soldier in Ironman mode, I just quit out and reload the game before it saves that turn?

Is there a time-limit to this method? Like if my guy gets shot, I have to IMMEDIATELY hold PS and quit, if I wait too many seconds it'll be saved and can't be reloaded?

Sorry to reiterate, but just so I understand, if I lose a soldier in Ironman mode, I just quit out and reload the game before it saves that turn?

Is there a time-limit to this method? Like if my guy gets shot, I have to IMMEDIATELY hold PS and quit, if I wait too many seconds it'll be saved and can't be reloaded?

I haven't tried this method, so please take that into consideration: I'm guessing you have to do this before the enemy turn ends, based off the auto save behavior in non-ironman mode. IIRC, the autosave updates roughly at the beginning of each player turn & therefore saves any player character deaths, wounds, reaction shot kills etc. at that point. It's possible that ironman employs an altered auto save criteria, but I wouldn't risk it if you're too far in & have been lucky + skillful this far. Again, haven't played on IMan yet, so I'm just guessing. Hope that helps :-)

Anyone know for sure?

I haven't tried it. As to what is legit - I believe for our assessment to be accurate, we have to consider every possible way to get the trophies. Otherwise, our difficulty would be off.

For instance, if you could change the difficulty for just the last mission and unlock ironman/impossible - then our rating would take a noise dive. I, myself, plan to "legit" the game because that was what I want to do. If a game isn't hard enough, I'll make it harder. Our goal here is to figure out what the shortest path between A and B.

But I'm not sure that this isn't a ten. I haven't gone far enough yet. I'm still planning out the most expedient path.

I don't find any of the trophies to be too hard. The only real difficulty i had was with the beginning of Classic Ironman and Impossible.

Once past the first 2 months none are to hard, but you have to be patient with the game and advance slowly in the missions.

Once you concentrate on satelites on the strategy level, that part becomes pretty easy.

Edited by BigPadre

Hi, sorry I didn't reply to previous posts about quitting Ironman Mode, I was away for a few weeks.

I completed Classic Ironman and I'm nearly done with Impossible playthrough.

For C-I I just kept holding the PS button as soon as I'd see things were going bad during either during my turn or ALIEN ACTIVITY.

It's even more obvious things are going bad when you see an Alien doing a OHKO animation. If you hold the button, the screen turns black, the game pauses and your PS3 prompts to select Quit Game, Turn Off etc. If you go into the PS3 menu without holding the PS button (just tapping) then the game continues in background and it might not work.

You don't have to turn off your PS3, just Quit Game, you don't have to hurry while the screen is black, BUT you must start holding the PS button before the start of your next turn.

Doing this doesn't guarantee you will win Ironman mode, as you do can still paint yourself in a corner during a previous turn and you'll have losses whatever you do during that next turn.

It doesn't help you much during base-mode play, if you have a bad panic strategy you will still have a hard time completing the mode. It does can help you restart interceptor fights, if you didn't down the UFO or you didn't abort on time to save your interceptor, don't close the battle report, just hold PS button, quit game and restart, the fight outcome WILL change.

Anywho, Ironman is not for me, I always played XCOM with save and load almost mapped to right-click left-click and I'm glad I could do it the way I liked.

I'm about 25 plats done, Devil may Cry HD and Ninja Gaiden 3 done recently, so for me this game is a 5 at most.

• 2 weeks later...

Got platinum trophy today . Done ironman classic under 221 days ( not real days btw. ) . :D

My team for the final mission :

4x Colonel ranked Heavy's with Heavy Plasma LMG's, 1x Colonel ranked Support ( w/ Plasma Rifle ) and 1x Major ranked Sniper ( w/ Plasma Sniper ) , two of them where Psi Soldiers with equipped Psi Armor ( 101 Will btw. :D ) the rest with Titan Armor and upgraded Scope, plasma pistols .

Voted 8 because need a alot of time to experience this game, 5x runs, but not very hard game at all ( compared to 9-10 ).

Edited by Count of Hell

• 2 weeks later...

I gave it an 8. Certain trophies in particular are fairly difficult, like No Looking Back. However for the majority they can be pretty easily trivialised by saving and reloading. I think that's kind of a shame, since trophies like Lone Wolf, Wet Work and Ain't No Cavalry Coming are fairly easy if you just reload if something goes wrong, whereas otherwise they might present a challenge.

In my opinion it's actually a pretty nice list. A good mix of progression, challenge, and random little things :)

Note: I haven't actually got the platinum yet, but all I have left is Ain't No Cavalry Coming, which I'm most of the way through the game towards, and A Continental Fellow, so I feel qualified to judge its difficulty.

• 3 weeks later...

Got platinum and voted 5, I couldn't honestly go higher.

I had to do 5 playthroughs for platinum, I kept Classic Ironman for 4th playthrough. I already knew all the maps, the tech tree, the story related events. It really wasn't as hard, starting classic just after my Impossible playthrough.

Also, I cheated Ironman by quitting the game a couple times :whistle:

I kept my last playthrough for Slingshot, cool missions, good startup boost.

• 1 month later...

Compared to the orignal 90's version, this version is much easier to play. I'm on easy right now, but UFO Defense was way harder. On hard, the aliens would see your guys while still in the plane (the soldiers start onboard the plane) and kill half the squad during reaction shots and during their first turn. I was never able to beat the terror mission as they would kill all the humans really fast. So, Enemy Uknown is a great improvement in every way. The two move system is probally the best improvement as now your guys won't die because there isn't enough action points to turn around!