Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Sphinx Fight

Hi All

Any tips on how to defeat the Sphinx?

I have the Legendary Armor and Shield with the Great Sword.

My best strategy is to try and jump his lightning bolts and hit him as I go over them, but successfully doing this without getting hit doesn't happen very often ;)

Is Magic the only viable way to beating him? Is it best to just plan a playthrough where you buy as much magic as you can before you get to him?

magic is what i used to defeat him

planned my playthrough and saved before each enemy

that was more likely to drop magic and if i didn't

like what he dropped i loaded and beat him again

if you want to defeat him legitimately there are 2 ways

1. jump towards him and strike after you deflect his lightning as you drop

(you ll know when cause you ll hear it as it strikes your shield)

2.keep some distance and jump towards him and over his lightning attack and strike before you land

Legendary Boots is the answer! It's pretty easy once you get those, you can jump over his lightning bolts without any hassle. The biggest threat will be time. I had a about 10 Whirlwind / 1 Lightning to help with the fight which I had accumulated from monsters on the way, I didn't buy any magic.

So yes, the main thing you need is Legendary Boots. Save before you go in and you should get it after a few tries.

Killing the Sphinx means I have 100% the game :dance:

I killed him the normal way, without any magic and I even forgot to pick up the sword that the giant Kong drops in round 5, so my attack was weak.

Had to stab the Sphinx like 30 times to kill him.

Anyway, what you need to have for sure is the Legendary Boots and it also helps alot of you have Wing Boots (they won't last the whole fight though)

Then its a matter of positioning and timing.

Position yourself close enough to the Sphinx so that you can reach him with your sword when you push the directional controller towards him when you jump and jump immediately at the moment you see his lighting materialize. It will be a small cloud first (don't jump then) and then it turns into a lighting bolt and hurls towards you. Jump at the exact time when the little cloud changes into a lighting bolt and you'll hit him almost every time without getting hit yourself.

The only times he hit me was when he spawned on top of me.

• 4 months later...