Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Noob question: front/back row, MP

Ok so I'm not a total noob to dungeon crawlers, or RPGs, but I am new to Wizardry (got it today) and I have a couple questions.

1. How come my backrow characters not attack? I see the staves are "S" range, I guess I'll need to give my mages slingshots or bows, then, so they can do basic attacks from the backrow? :> I'd appreciate any hints because I'm effectively using 3 people to fight, and 3 are defending/sitting ducks most of the time.

2. How can I tell how much MP remaining my mages got?

My party formation is, if that helps:

Front: Lord, Fighter, Samurai

Back: Mage, Bishop, Priest

Tried making a balanced party, mixed races, genders, etc. Thanks.

1. "S" means that the weapon has short range. If you want your characters to attack from the back row you'll have to give them weapons with medium or long range. It basically works like this:

Short = can only attack adjacent units;

Medium - can attack units that are one row away from you

Long = 2 rows away from you;

and so on.

(E) - enemy

© - character

1. E E E

2. E E E

3. C C C

4. C C C

- Let's say that a character in row 3 is equiped with an 'S' weapon. It means that he will only be ably to attack enemies in row 2.

- If a character from row 4 is equiped with an 'S' weapon he won't be able to attack at all!

- If a character from row 4 is equiped with M weapon, he'll be able to attck enemies from row 2. But if you give the same 'M' weapon to character in row 3 he'll be able to attack ALL enemies (both in row 1 AND 2)!

2. Your mages (or any class that can cast spells) don't have MP per say. This game follows the basic rules of Dungeons and Dragon 3rd Edition. Which means that you have a fixed number of spells you can cast before running dry. In your magic screen there are lots of numbers that signify one things - number of times you can cast spells of that level. It looks like this:

9/9/9/8/7/6/5/2/0

Each dash separates the levels of spells. So in this case it means that you can cast Lvl 1 spell 9 times, but a Lvl 8 spells only twice, and lvl 9 spells are not even available to you at the moment. The number of spells you can cast increases as you level up. If you run out of spells you can rest in the inn (200 g for a night I think) and they'll be back.

Hope that helps.

Also, my advice - get rid of both mage and priest) get three bishops instead as their Magic Wall skill rocks. At higher levels Bishop has access to EVERY spells in the game (both mage and priest spells) and can cast them as many time as those two. Bishop is the ultimate class. Also you might want to spec your warrior to lord or samurai later, because those two classes are ridiculously overpowered compared to the rest - the best gear in the game is Lord/samurai exclussive.

Edited by purifico

Wow purifico, thanks for the reply. Very good info.

I've changed my team to this:

Lord

Samurai

Samurai

Bishop

Bishop

Thief

I wanted to make a Ninja but my main character was aligned as good and I cannot put in the Ninja in my team now because Ninja is evil. :( Anyway I can fix this, is alignment even possible to change or I'm doomed to never have a Ninja in this team?

LOVE this game so far but I really wish it gave me more info. :>

First of all, alignments can be changed - there are random encounters in dungeons when monsters don't attack you from the get go - they are either 'good' monsters (those monster packs that include Gold Dragons and Crusaders are considered good - you'll get a message "You don't feel malice from these creatures" or something along those lines) or weak monsters that are afraid of your uber party =) You get 3 options:

- "Attack" - results in negative karma change.

- "Watch" - karma doesn't change. Monsters will either attack you or flee.

- "Walk away" - results in positive karma change. Be warned though, if you opt to walk away from non-good monsters they may attack you from behind, little buggers.

Do this enough times and you can have yourself a good ninja or an evil lord. The mechanics of karma change are kinda fuzzy though, so I can't tell you how many battles you will have to walk away from to change your character's karma from good to evil and vice versa.

Second of all, there's a trick as to how to have a mixed party of good-evil characters.

You can with a trick.

Go with your Evil (Good) Party in the dungeon and get a free spot.

Then quit to menu and load the new Good (Evil) main you want, walk into the dungeon and search for new members. Now you can add them, even tho they have the "wrong" alignment.

However keep in mind that if your evil character dies and is resurrected at the temple you will have to do the trick again)

Thanks. Now my party is around levels 5-6, and I've explored 1st and 2nd floors of both dungeons. What a great game! Some more questions:

- Can I disarm traps on the ground? Being hit by lightning deals a ton of party wide damage. I'm tanking it because I want to explore every square, but it would be nice to save up on the healing items/spells.

- Is there a fast way to return to town, such as a teleport spell or scroll? Going deeper in the dungeon gets dangerous if I miscalculate on healing needed to go back up.

- How can I tell an item is cursed? I equipped my main character with a cursed Circlet and lol, I only noticed it when I started taking heavy damage every step. :think:

1. I don't think so. Thief and Ninja can only disarm trapped chests. So when it comes to ground traps you'll just have to take it like a man and heal :D

2. There is a spell "Emergency Exit" that treleports you to town. It's a level 6 mage spell (also available to Bishops), so untill you get it you'll have to make it back to town on foot.

3. Now I don't remember for sure, but I think you can check you items statistic from you Item menu. It shows a lot of useful information - who can equip it, its weaknesses and strengthes. I think that if the item is cursed it also shows there.