'Beat Zico' Discussion Thread

Dafro1989

Anyone attempted this yet?

I've just done the Speed Lap mode for a good ol' while (95 laps at time of writing, figured I'd grap the 99 laps trophy for good measure), and so far my best is 32.02 =/. I reckon I could shave a lil bit here and there, but 1.2 seconds is a big ask given I've changed my route 3 times and moved where I boost.

I'm far from a WipEout expect it must be said, this being my first play on a WO title for many years - I'd go as far to say as I'm pretty poor if I'm honest. But I'm a decent gamer, and I'm alright as far as racers go.

Any tips? Anyone got a better/close time than mine? Has anyone beat this rather impressive lap time of Zico's?!

Good day.

Edit/update: Just nailed a 31.83 - still a second to go though =S.

Edited by Dafro1989
Updating information

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zico is the name of one of the development team who set the lap time.

"A few of us in the team had a long running competition with a very specific ruleset - Anulpha Pass/Forwards/Speed Lap/Venom/Pirahna. We were setting some impressive times. Every now and then someone would find a new tactic, a new line to take through a corner or another barrel roll opportunity, and shave a fraction of a second off the fastest time. We think we’ve found the optimal route now, so it’s all about a flawless execution of that line. We spent a lot of time on this competition, so we decided to make a trophy out of it. When it came to submitting the lap time, Zico Liu (one of our programmers) was top of the table, so he got the naming rights. Obtaining the gold ‘Beat Zico’ trophy is no easy task, so best of luck. Zico has since beaten his own time, and so has Stephen Taylor".

Source: fav.or.it - WipEout HD Approaching, Dust Off the Trophy Case

Personally I think it's a really cool trophy - created by the development team for players to try and beat. It's so tough though.

Yeah its pretty cool but also solid. I've gotten about 1 second away i think and I can't shave anymore. Anyone with any tips.

Here's one save your boost from one go thru and use it just before the start line to speed up the beggining section I still need to figure out were to boost tho, at the moment I am doing a barrel roll midway thru the level and after the overpass....

That's exactly what I do, boosting over the hump midway through to get a barrel roll, landing on the solo boost panel and then later, barrel rolling off the overpass. I also use my boost JUST before the line to speed up my start.

I managed to find that the overpass is faster right until the end. After the 4th (final) boost on it, fall off to the left (with a barrel roll) to land on the boost panels on the regular path - this is definitely faster than taking just the overpass, as I tested it against my ghost!

That's exactly what I do, boosting over the hump midway through to get a barrel roll, landing on the solo boost panel and then later, barrel rolling off the overpass. I also use my boost JUST before the line to speed up my start.

Ha ha, that's an awesome idea. One lap preparing, then one lap going for it. Good thinking.

Ha ha, that's an awesome idea. One lap preparing, then one lap going for it. Good thinking.

It's pretty handy - probably takes off up to... 3/4 of a second off your time, if not more. If used just before the line, you're essentially getting 2 boosts in a lap.

Even so, despite doing that, 2 barrel rolls, tight cornering, hitting 16 boost panels and clipping no walls, I'm still only at 31.80.

Zico sounds Brazilian *he says thinking of the great Brazilian international footballer*

That's what my brother thought I was on about when I said I was trying to 'Beat Zico'.

And if 'Liu' is indeed asian, then yes... we may well be ****ed :p. Having said that, the fastest time globally on my last check was 30.57 by 'Toilet_Duck'. Awesome time eh?

Heya I just registered to share my experience with this hardcore trophy ^^. I'm 3rd in the world now it's not refreshing but this doesn't matter. My time is 31.33. I boost at the 2nd hill after the first corner, with this tactic you can barrel roll 2 times! 1st directly after the boost and 2nd after you fly over the next lil hill in the corner that comes. I got only 14 boost pads the guy who got the record has 16 so I wonder how he did this. Hope I could help now I need a break -_-

Edit: I don't have to say that I boost through the start with boost from the last round huh? ;D

I also jump off the highway after the 4th boost pad to do a 3rd barel roll .

Edited by Slamraptor

Boosting after the first hill works for me with some practice, but if I don't angle my ship up I don't make enough air, if I do angle up I fly way past the 3 boost pads and so skipping them all (or at least 2), is there a way to do this better?

Also tried using a boost and rolling just when I get on the bridge but I tend to fly against the billboards right above, not really an option :/

Oh yeah, I'm probably one of the few playing with the D-Pad instead of the stick (shoot me, I just can't get used to it after 10 years of pc gaming), reckon it's easier to angle/time a barrel roll with the stick?

Edited by Pleun

Oh yeah, I'm probably one of the few playing with the D-Pad instead of the stick (shoot me, I just can't get used to it after 10 years of pc gaming), reckon it's easier to angle/time a barrel roll with the stick?

Me too. I'm not even a PC gamer, I just can't stand the jerky nature of the analogue stick - besides, I figured the air brakes are there to make that up?

Am I wrong? Would I be better off spending my time using the stick and getting accustomed to it? Would I eventually be 'faster' because of it (better cornering etc.)?

Me too. I'm not even a PC gamer, I just can't stand the jerky nature of the analogue stick - besides, I figured the air brakes are there to make that up?

Am I wrong? Would I be better off spending my time using the stick and getting accustomed to it? Would I eventually be 'faster' because of it (better cornering etc.)?

I started with the Analogue stick but switched to the D-pad after the 1st 100 tries to get this trophy.

I find it much easier to manage the corners with the d-pad, its easier to repeat an exact patter, plus sharper corners seemed easier as the ship turned in better.

Let me know if I am missing anything if it this seems best for others.

OK guys i managed to get to 31.63, its all about grabbing corners really tightly.

First boost as you enter the lap, grab the pads, close the corner, continue going and grab the other 3 pads.

Im using my boost on the second hill to grab air and do a barrel roll to land in the boost pad in the bridge(where the Piranha ads are), from there is a matter of grabbing the corners tightly, dont miss any pads and ....

This is something crazy i have been able to achieve only around 4 times in 99 tries, if only i could get used to it, i think i might be able to beat zico..., right before you grab the shortcurt to the right (the road floating), the road is like a ramp, there is barely any air here as you transfer to the shortcut but using the right angle you can squezee a barrel roll and still land on the shortcut, its crazy and super difficult to achieve but i think it is the defining point in beating Zico, i think thats all i have left...

Do you guys have any other tips, im so close to beating this one...

I have tried doing the barrel roll before the bipass, but I can't actually get a full spin in, u sure its possible. How do u manage to do 2 barrel rolls before u even reach the bipass, someone said they did it earlier in the thread. That sounds like it wud help immensley

The barrel roll on the overpass is doable, though very difficult.

I'd love to know how someone manages two barrel rolls before the bipass too. I'm down to 31.68 with a lil room for improvement too, but if I can grab that barrel roll before the bipass, I think it's doable.

Crazier still would be a lap with two barrel rolls before the bipass, then one onto it and the usual one off of it to the left to catch the final boost pad. THAT's a time I'd like to see!