The Get-Upset-Thread (read initial post first!)

Thianis

Kaltxì!

I guess everybody of you knows the phenomenon: You desperately attempt to achieve something, but for some reason it simply won't do. That's why this thread is here: To write down your ire when something really seems to get the better of you.

Nonetheless, there is one thing to be kept in mind, though: Although it is perfectly legitimate to get upset, you nevertheless are to mind your words. So before posting in this thread, wait a moment, take a deep breath, and then start writing down what just riled you off.

This thread's purpose is to help you cool off somewhat if something doesn't work in Wipeout HD as it should (and maybe also get some hints on how to improve your situation), but not to become insulting.

Irayo nìtxan.

O.k., since I'm already at it: The combination of Phantom speed and the track of Talon's Junction (backwards) is a real pain. No matter what I do, things easily get out of control, and to make things worse, my opponents seem to prefer shooting me at the same time, and 19 out of 20 times I get neatly eliminated that way.

And if I should happen to reach the finish line, I'm on last position (I barely made it through Amphiseum backwards on Phantom speed before after the n-th attempt, however, I obtained gold there, but don't ask me how I did that).

I wish there was some way of defeating my opponents - and this is just the easiest difficulty level... :(

O.k., since I'm already at it: The combination of Phantom speed and the track of Talon's Junction (backwards) is a real pain. No matter what I do, things easily get out of control, and to make things worse, my opponents seem to prefer shooting me at the same time, and 19 out of 20 times I get neatly eliminated that way.

And if I should happen to reach the finish line, I'm on last position (I barely made it through Amphiseum backwards on Phantom speed before after the n-th attempt, however, I obtained gold there, but don't ask me how I did that).

I wish there was some way of defeating my opponents - and this is just the easiest difficulty level... :(

You should rename it a Wipeout Totally Bitching Thread... Sounds more like it...:whistle:

Anyway, the part of Eliminator, you can take advices from Harry's trophy guide. Just don't run with them. Instead, go picking up weapon pads, absorbing any craps and, when you get a Quake, just turn back, wait for the first player come close and fire it. You will destroy 3/4 ships at once. Rinse, repeat (I destroyed 6 once - LOL).

But the most infuriating trophy for me was Beat Zico. And still I just broke a controller out of rage of nothing being able to pass Sol 2.

First to point one thing out: This is not meant to be a "Wipeout totally sucks" thread or the likes - I consider it o be a great game. This is merely a means to cool oneself down, best before one throws his controller against a wall or something. :p

The point is that it is a normal race - an eliminator race wouldn't infuriate me this way, because, as you mentioned, I would pluck them one by one and turn them into piecemeal. ;)

However, it is a normal race (Talon's Junction backwards, Phantom speed) that greatly annoys me since I either wind up last place (when I happen to make it to the finish line), or I am blown up midway through (once I even managed to screw this setting up right on the finishing lane, though) by either being hit en masse or by having pinballed in sections with some tight twists and turns...

First to point one thing out: This is not meant to be a "Wipeout totally sucks" thread or the likes - I consider it o be a great game. This is merely a means to cool oneself down, best before one throws his controller against a wall or something. :p

The point is that it is a normal race - an eliminator race wouldn't infuriate me this way, because, as you mentioned, I would pluck them one by one and turn them into piecemeal. ;)

However, it is a normal race (Talon's Junction backwards, Phantom speed) that greatly annoys me since I either wind up last place (when I happen to make it to the finish line), or I am blown up midway through (once I even managed to screw this setting up right on the finishing lane, though) by either being hit en masse or by having pinballed in sections with some tight twists and turns...

Talons junction is a bitch, luckily you don't have to pass it on elite though.

• 2 weeks later...

Barrel Rolls! The most frustrating things, especially when i execute them whilst attempting to beat Zico's lap time on Anulpha Pass. I will only ever press left-right-left once, so either it will barrel roll, or it won't (if i didn't press hard enough, i use the arrows for barrel rolls).

So when i come up to the overpass on my speed lap run, and i go for the barrel roll, why in hell does it 9/10 times barrel roll like 1-2 second later.. when I've near enough redirected and landed onto the overpass! If I've i pressed right, it should execute it immediately after i press 'left' the second time, yet it delays for some apparent reason, which literally sabotages my attempt to beat Zico!... Takes the proverbial.

Talons junction is a bitch, luckily you don't have to pass it on elite though.

Indeed it is, and I tried to pass it on a race in phantom just to test it. Got blown to bits on the second lap.

But I find Tech the Ra more infuriating. Even more than Chenghou Project and Sol 2 (and I broke a controller trying Sol 2)

Indeed it is, and I tried to pass it on a race in phantom just to test it. Got blown to bits on the second lap.

But I find Tech the Ra more infuriating. Even more than Chenghou Project and Sol 2 (and I broke a controller trying Sol 2)

Trying to elite pass corridon 12 on detonator is also based on luck, you have to hit all the bombs for the elite score.. but there's two pathways and if you go the wrong way and it's on the other side your screwed.

I have had to put this game down. I can only rage quit so many times.

That whole luck aspect of always getting that damn shield or auto pilot when I am behind... Then getting my ass kicked because they always get missiles or rockets.

I only get missiles and rockets when I am in the lead :rolleyes:

Almost half a year later and I am still hesitant to pick it up again.

It's absolutely no use - Fury on Phantom speed is simply uncontrollable for me. :mad:

Either the AI gets me, I constantly keep smashing into the walls or flying off the racetrack, or I fall far behind the AI and wind up on last place (although I have set the entire thing to the easiest level). But more often than not my ship blows up not even halfway through.

Up to Rapier, no problem - but Phantom absolutely beats me here... :(

EDIT: Well, seems like something has completely gotten out of control... ;)

I just managed to obtain a gold medal on Tech de Ra (backwards) on Phantom speed - but please don't ask me how I managed to achieve that, but somehow I have reached first position somewhere halfway through the second lap and managed to stay there throughout the rest of the race. *boggle*

Tse, ke omum...

Edited by Thianis

every time i tried beat zico, after about an hour i gave up. going to let this game gone forever. but i dont know what this game has! i came back after 1-2 weeks and i enjoy the game and want to beat this damn zico again and everything is going to happens again and again!!!

I jumped straight into the elite campaign and so far it's tough but I've been managing. Got about 25/87 gold medals. The only thing that frustrated me super hardcore was getting down the barrel rolls. I just couldn't hit L-R-L or R-L-R fast enough, then I discovered you can just hit L-L-R or R-L-L in quick succession to do one too and suddenly the frustration went away and now I'm a barrel rollin' fool.

I haven't attempted Beat Zico or Zone Zeus yet so I may find myself back in this thread in the future. Beat Zico doesn't scare me but I find the zones to be the hardest aspect of the game; I usually crash out around zone 40 or so in the ones in campaign.

I jumped straight into the elite campaign and so far it's tough but I've been managing. Got about 25/87 gold medals. The only thing that frustrated me super hardcore was getting down the barrel rolls. I just couldn't hit L-R-L or R-L-R fast enough, then I discovered you can just hit L-L-R or R-L-L in quick succession to do one too and suddenly the frustration went away and now I'm a barrel rollin' fool.

I haven't attempted Beat Zico or Zone Zeus yet so I may find myself back in this thread in the future. Beat Zico doesn't scare me but I find the zones to be the hardest aspect of the game; I usually crash out around zone 40 or so in the ones in campaign.

If you have the Fury expansion, try racing the zones on Syncopia (you should get Own the Zone and Airbraker quite quickly that way, and Zone Zeus shouldn't be that much more of a pain, either). That track is fairly easy, without any sharp turns, and should give you ample time to react (that's how I managed to get Own the Zone and Airbraker). If not, choose Anulpha Pass.

i just thought like you few months ago. but now i think beat zico is harder than zeus. because in zeus you can do some wrong things and you will we fine if you get some perfect zone.but in zico youdo not allowed to have a wrong movement!!

this is the annoying part of beat zico trophy. eventually you got my point:D

I just couldn't hit L-R-L or R-L-R fast enough, then I discovered you can just hit L-L-R or R-L-L in quick succession to do one too and suddenly the frustration went away and now I'm a barrel rollin' fool.

Can anybody else confirm this? That sounds too good to be true.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say as bad as I am at this game and as much anguish it has caused me, I still play it 1-3 days a week for an hour or two.

And I honestly am getting better at it and already it kinda feels rewarding. Still have none of the tough trophies but I'm pretty comfortable on phantom speed now (never thought I'd end up saying that a month or two ago).

Still think Zone Zeus will always be beyond my grasp though. I think you've gotta be a certain type of gamer for that s**t. I rarely play racing games, which is a big disadvantage :)

EDIT: I thought I smelt something fishy earlier on when reading the recent wipeout thread by ^ :D

Edited by idloveacupoft

Maybe you should resort to steering only at the low speeds (let's say, up to Rapier if possible) and then also apply the air brakes if need be.

Plus you should do one thing that helps in improving: Practice, practice, practice. You will soon find that you are doing perfect laps even on the higher zones and failing less and less when you are reaching your current limit, thereby pushing it even farther.

Btw: What values have you set your controls to? Maybe you should fine-tune their sensitivity (for example, I disabled the motion sensor, because it would interfere - and with itchy fingers things easily tend to become worse - set air brake and steering sensitivity to 80% each and thrust to 30%, however, thrust is irrelevant when racing zones). You can either try these settings and see if you are comfortable with them or tweak them to your liking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chenghou Project. That really sharp turn near the beginning is such a pain. I dread racing on that track. Oh and I just unlocked Meltdown and took a look at the events. I'm not terribly pleased. I can handle phantom on vineta k and anulpha pass, but the rest are going to result in a lot of frustration.

You don't get it! You need to Beat Zico, damn it! Not beat his time, but literally go FIND ZICO AND BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM FOR GETTING THAT LAP TIME ON ANULPHA PASS FORWARD WITH A PIRAHNA!

That being said, the most frustrating moments of the game where when the AI on ELITE difficulty would literally thrown every goddamn missile/rocket/mine/whatever thing in the whole game at your ass literally destroying you in mere seconds after the game started, or after 2-3 turns!

What's even more shocking is that they would somehow have the EXACT needed powerup to use against you! Like if you were on their tail they would immediately shit bombs, if you just got passed them they would spit out missiles or when they were in a tight turn shoot a boost! The interesting part is that they would only do that reacting to your own actions, so basically a AI staying behind another AI would not do anything for literally half a lap, but as soon as you got passed him then BOOM!!! A million rockets flying!

That's why, when doing Arcade Perfect, I was so fed up of this crap (especially on Chenghou Project) that I disabled weapons and then everything became easy as pie!

YAY!