XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
madcapr

Default The S-Rank Myth?

I always hear players in-game claiming that you have to S-rank a quest to get the best drops. At the very least, they say that you need an A-rank in order to have any chance at all of getting the 1% or .5% items in the loot rewards box. Well, just when you think you figured this game out, it will turn around and prove you wrong.

Being a spear build, I need ice and fire dragon skull+ for both armor and weapons. Well, for the last few days, I have been soloing Theatre of the Gods II. I kill 2 rooms full of elementals and get 2 Alpha keys. Then I go open the chests for the Ice Dragon and the Fire Dragon. After that, I talk to the Judge and end the quest. The entire process takes me 15 minutes by myself and I ALWAYS get a C rating - yes, I said a C rating. Well, after LESS than 10 runs of doing this, I have already netted TWO skull+ (1 fire and 1 ice).

You could say that I just got really lucky, BUT, at the very least you have to admit this proves you don't need to S-rank a quest to get the best drops. Most GR15's will tell you that Fire and Ice dragon skull+'s are some of the rarest drops in the game.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Riff-Raff

I can confirm this obversvation. Once when I was mage and solo farmed wind dragon skulls for my melee build, I got a skull+ in ToG for a D-rank after quitting with only one drake killed. Several times the box was completely empty (nothing in it), but once in a sudden I got the skull as the only reward.

As for S-rank I do not think it gives you the better rewards but more pieces in the box.

Last edited by Riff-Raff; 10-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Riff-Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
technole
Maximum Clubs Director

Awards Showcase Tech's Turrets Syndrome   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   5,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)

Ranking does determine quanity of drops though. Which obviously means more chances for rares. You can also get skulls with the single dragon in MP2

One item in a D-rank loot which could be a scale or skull or go for an S-rating with a chance for 7+ items in ToTG. Mmm Fiend Mark+, Wind Skull+, Ice Skull+ oh that was a happy day.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
sunnygrg

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   A+ Thread Award   Guide Supplement Bronze   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 2 - Top 20 Individuals   Community Gaming Event Gold   5,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

Level-5 hasn't published any official words on what really constitutes the best drops in the game. I bet my that they will never do it.

All the figures you see in these different forums are based on the trial and error runs of the first batch of Japanese GR15 players. It could swing either way.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
madcapr

It is my experience that you are not guaranteed more rewards for an S-rank. There are several quests that I've done where sometimes an S-rank gives me 3 items in the loot rewards, and sometimes an S-rank (in the same quest) gives me 6 or 7 items in the rewards box. I guess you might argue that an S-rank can give you the "chance" at more rewards items, but the more I play this game, the more I think rewards truly are completely random. I've got 750 or so hours in it now, and I haven't found a pattern yet that will guarantee anything in the way of item drops.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Rexvillo

Man, I didn't know about that, that's great, at least I can solo knowing that I can have rare drops even if I get an C-Rank

Last edited by Rexvillo; 12-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Rexvillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Shidasan

Send a message via Skype™ to Shidasan

Awards Showcase PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Bronze Submission   1,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

i just always seem to get 1 Firebeast Fang in Rl2 as a Loot Reward with A-rank, and 2 or more with S-rank

Proud owner of the SO4, WKC 1&2 Platinum!
Shidasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Riff-Raff

Yes, S-rank gives more items but not necessarily better ones. If you need a lot even from not-so rare pieces, you should go for S. In my experience, repeating quests over and over lowers the amount of items in the loot box while the rewards in rotations seem to be more.
Riff-Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
empwhyehate

yeah i had to give this game a big break just because of the never getting items problem. im more then half way through doing all the binding recipes but cant force myself to play it anymore
empwhyehate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
dante_kinkade

Send a message via AIM to dante_kinkade

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

The rank tends to give diffrent end quest rewards and getting a S rank tends to get the best rewards or more of them and the only way to get the rare items for some levels.

dante_kinkade is offline   Reply With Quote