The S-Rank Myth?

madcapr

I always hear players in-game claiming that you have to S-rank a quest to get the best drops. At the very least, they say that you need an A-rank in order to have any chance at all of getting the 1% or .5% items in the loot rewards box. Well, just when you think you figured this game out, it will turn around and prove you wrong.

Being a spear build, I need ice and fire dragon skull+ for both armor and weapons. Well, for the last few days, I have been soloing Theatre of the Gods II. I kill 2 rooms full of elementals and get 2 Alpha keys. Then I go open the chests for the Ice Dragon and the Fire Dragon. After that, I talk to the Judge and end the quest. The entire process takes me 15 minutes by myself and I ALWAYS get a C rating - yes, I said a C rating. Well, after LESS than 10 runs of doing this, I have already netted TWO skull+ (1 fire and 1 ice).

You could say that I just got really lucky, BUT, at the very least you have to admit this proves you don't need to S-rank a quest to get the best drops. Most GR15's will tell you that Fire and Ice dragon skull+'s are some of the rarest drops in the game.

I can confirm this obversvation. Once when I was mage and solo farmed wind dragon skulls for my melee build, I got a skull+ in ToG for a D-rank after quitting with only one drake killed. Several times the box was completely empty (nothing in it), but once in a sudden I got the skull as the only reward.

As for S-rank I do not think it gives you the better rewards but more pieces in the box.

Edited by Riff-Raff

Ranking does determine quanity of drops though. Which obviously means more chances for rares. You can also get skulls with the single dragon in MP2

One item in a D-rank loot which could be a scale or skull or go for an S-rating with a chance for 7+ items in ToTG. Mmm Fiend Mark+, Wind Skull+, Ice Skull+ oh that was a happy day.

Level-5 hasn't published any official words on what really constitutes the best drops in the game. I bet my :ass: that they will never do it.

All the figures you see in these different forums are based on the trial and error runs of the first batch of Japanese GR15 players. It could swing either way.

It is my experience that you are not guaranteed more rewards for an S-rank. There are several quests that I've done where sometimes an S-rank gives me 3 items in the loot rewards, and sometimes an S-rank (in the same quest) gives me 6 or 7 items in the rewards box. I guess you might argue that an S-rank can give you the "chance" at more rewards items, but the more I play this game, the more I think rewards truly are completely random. I've got 750 or so hours in it now, and I haven't found a pattern yet that will guarantee anything in the way of item drops.

• 1 month later...

Yes, S-rank gives more items but not necessarily better ones. If you need a lot even from not-so rare pieces, you should go for S. In my experience, repeating quests over and over lowers the amount of items in the loot box while the rewards in rotations seem to be more.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The things that affect the drop rate is the rank and number of players.

Actually number of players does not matter in the drop rates. You can S-rank many quests solo. Even some GR12 quests with the right setups.

Like all those Shiny Clay Lumps I farmed were mainly in solo runs of The Only Game in Town III just because I did not want to bore my party every time with that quest in our rotations. To get an S-rank solo you just have to kill at-least three clay golems. Time bonus is not required to get an S.

Sometimes I just did the A-rank run with two golems and even though that means three less drop slots, I still got lumps that way.