The Lost City Of Vellgander - Solo

I just conquered the 100 S Ranks trophy, that one has been a breeze, it just required a 130 hours dedicated grind, to unlock GR26 Dahlia equipment, and then I've S Ranked most quests on first try, but the trophy tied to Vellgander is a different beast, so I create this specific thread to post my progress every now and then as I climb Vellgander tower.

I tried Vellgander 1 with the very same Dahlia equipment, but despite clearing smoothly every floor, the final fight with the three Arks ended in failure, so I think it's time to work on the avatar's Incorruptus and possibly upgrade the equipment or find a better one. I've already found a reliable source for Lv.5 to 7 Gems in The Fog Of War II and Support The Troops II, I just need to find reliable sources for the other TIER 4 mats required for upgrading the various equipments.

In order to prepare for Vellgander, I've decided to perform all the rebirths for avatar and NPCs, to take full advantage of the bonus points, meanwhile I've started farming tier 4 monsters from monster quests, to possibly upgrade the current equipment or bind new pieces easier to upgrade. At the present state I can already handle most of the tier 4 big enemies, excluding maybe the strongest ones (like General Gigas and such), just need to strenghten more to speed up the farming for the rarest materials.

Edited by Brightblade

Buffs/debuffs are crucial for Vellgander bosses. You can't win them by brute force. I used the following tactics to clear Vell 1-6 at around GR24 (will try the rest some time later because I play in short bursts).

1) First of all, you need a good knight sword which has Attack down AOE move (Knightly Majesty). If you notice, there are two types of swords which gradually upgrade to their GR26 version. I prefer Ignition->Lombard->Argarach->Granhaltus tree, it's harder to upgrade low versions but much easier to get GR24-26 ones. You can try other tree if you're not lucky with drops. Anyway, Knightly Majesty starts from Lombard (or its counterpart Obelius).

2) Your class doesn't matter since you'll knight up, but I prefer mage to quickly clear the rooms, and there're a lot of skeletons which are pain for melee.

3) NPCs are second mage (with only Eclipse Gate and Heal 3 spells) and bow (all status effect heals, Heal 4, Dark Shot, Raise, +Fortify equipped, set up as Heal first).

4) Get 15 ac before the boss, buff, then start the fight. Knight up, use Knightly Majesty every 30 seconds (bring some MP pots with you) and use Strong Slashes against knights, try to line up and hit all 3 at once. Que your bow healer (R1+square/circle) every time +Fortify expires (every 30 seconds), and she'll cast it again. With knights' ATK down and your DEF up constantly you'll have permanent effect of wearing gear with 900-1000 DEF.

5) This goes without saying, but your mage should attack the same knight's leg as you. Once 1st knight is dead the fight becomes much easier.

6) Don't rush, these fights may take 10-15 minutes. The goal is to clear, ranks are secondary. Vellgander target times for S ranks (from the time you started the quest): 1 - 30 min, 2/3 - 40 min, 4/5 - 45 min, 6/7/8 - 50 min, 9/10 - 55 min. You can S rank them starting from Vell4 if you're lucky with quest drops. Codes have 5% chance starting from Vell 6 and are rewarded regardless of the rank.

Thanks for all the advices, in the meantime I was working on the binding front and put the knight and Vellgander aside for a while, I'll get back at it as soon as I complete the 800 bindings or the bindings become too tedious and decide to take a break.

Meanwhile I was trying also to farm mats to upgrade Yulie (bow with Dvergar Set) and Eldore (mage with Demon King Set) equipment, in order to prepare them for Vellgander and possibly mimic the setup used by the guy who defeated Madoras in Upper apex.

Anyway, as soon as I return in Vellgander I'll follow your advices and report back.

I've decided to try again Vell 1, because the only time I tried it, NPCs didn't have their skills set up properly (still in their first "life") and the avatar too, because I left him as it was after the second rebirth needed to complete the last of the 8 skillsets. With the party in top shape, with all the useful passives and the essential skills for their respective classes, but still with GR26 non upgraded Dahlia equipment, I managed to clear Vell 1 on first try without even using the Incorruptus.

No point in going further yet, I'm just missing around 50 bindings to reach 800 and then I'll concentrate exclusively on upgrading the equipment both for the characters and the Incorruptus, then the Vellgander raids shall begin.

Edited by Brightblade

Got my 800 bindings trophy a couple days ago, but I'm still missing 8-9 pieces of equipment for the 50 rare one. While I'm at it, I think I'll bind some alternate sets to the Dahlia ones I'm using right now, because it seems to me that they are more difficult to upgrade compared to the "standard" sets. Right now I'm working on obtaining +DEX equipment for avatar (axe), +INT sets for Eldore/Kara (mages) and +AGI set for Yulie (bow). As soon as I complete them and upgrade to at least +10, I'll try to advance further in Vellgander.

Edited by Brightblade

Buffs/debuffs are crucial for Vellgander bosses. You can't win them by brute force. I used the following tactics to clear Vell 1-6 at around GR24 (will try the rest some time later because I play in short bursts).

The drops for the better knight parts (say GR23 onwards) don't want to show up. I tried four or five times beating Vell 2 without the incorruptus, with mixed GR26 +5/+10 equipments, but the Duke Gigas always pwns my ass. I've almost defeated him once, but thanks to his rejuvenating organ healed himself and the first time he entered "berserk" mode, wiped my party in a couple moves. I seriously hope that the knight properly set up will be up to par, because I assume that boss fights from Vell 3 onwards are probably way harder than this and if that's the case I'm seriously considering giving up and never waste again in my life so much time on a single game.

PS. I've started running Support The Troops, I can S rank it but still no Blue Twin Demon Eye after a few attempts, I think at this point I'll repeat it till I'll finally say "screw it" and move on, because either I obtain that or there's no way to break through hard hitting bosses without Knightly Majesty.

Edited by Brightblade

Took 29 runs to get 2 blue eyes (so ~7% drop rate for me but it should be higher). I got the whole GR up just by doing STT1. Took a lot of time to get 2 Evil Hearts for a knight shield. This game is all about grind and patience, and with few attempts you'll not achieve much. Also it helps to play in short periods, a few hours every week.

Do you debuff Duke Gigas with Fatique and buff your team? Do you break rejuvenating organ? Try to practice in Just Deserts 2 short route, it has the same boss.

Considering I still don't have a knight worthy of that name, I just use arm shatter to weaken his physical strenght (and tried to constantly +fortify the party, but having also +haste and +magic barrier among commands, probably screwed that) but it always happened that he used a magic or whatever dark shockwave that killed my companions instantaneously and the avatar alone couldn't revive them before being slashed to death, more than 1 hour wasted on each attempt.

Before trying again I aim to set up properly the knight, I was also trying to farm a Swordmaster Emblem to try the other path for knight swords, but got instead a few spearmasters and a malletmaster... seriously testing my patience. Probably it's better for me to take a break for a while, because I did a lot in the past weeks (100S ranks, 800 bindings and such) and I can see that the preparation for the last and most difficult trophy will require a huge amount of time and failed attempts at farming.

Update 1: Thank God I finally got at least a Swordmaster Emblem, now I'm farming Circular Stones from Graveyard II Arks and then I'll try and hopefully get the rare mats to bind GR25 incorruptus armour pieces not requiring Vellgander codes.

Update 2: I've just obtained also an Ice Giant Inner Eye, an Ice Dragon Crystal and a Magestone Turret+ in the matter of an hour, indeed a good day for farming. I just need an Aged Demon God Eye and then I'll have all the rarest mats required for a full GR25 knight armor set.

Update 3: Vellgander 2 to 5 completed on first try no sweat using the knight and following the tips detailed above, thanks very much SuperZay for setting me on the right path. "Just" 5 floors plus Emperor Madoras separate me from the platinum (considering GR30 and 50 rare weapons are virtually tied and not an issue at all).

Edited by Brightblade

• 2 weeks later...
I used the following tactics to clear Vell 1-6 at around GR24 (will try the rest some time later because I play in short bursts).

What kind of setup did you use to clear Vellgander 6? The incorruptus is not an option because I can't mantain MP high enough to not get reverted, so I'm working on a couple heavy sets, at least for the avatar and the bow user. While going for the 50 rare pieces of equipment I've managed to bind some mixed golutus/lucent/weirwood sets and I'm trying to upgrade them, but as everything in this game it will take bloody ages of farming.

Update: Upped a few sets to +8/10 with relative ease, while bringing them to +15 is the most tedious thing ever due to the absurd amount of rare (and I mean RARE) drops required, and I don't even know if I'll succeed in the end. In all honesty, stay away from this plat now, not worth the effort, this is just repetitive busywork.

Edited by Brightblade

Edit. Nevermind, I managed to clear Vellgander 6, a helluva hard fight, but once again thanks to SuperZay tips, lots of items, Chargedrinks and Lifestones, I managed to get through it. I replicated the strategy shown in this video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdQQRxK7Ac0]White Knight Chronicles 2 - Vellgander 6 Solo with NPCs, S-Rank (Boss Fight at 28:00) - 1080P HD - YouTube[/ame]

but using sword and shield instead of hammer, debuffing all three knights with Knightly Majesty and shield bashing Luthia to death, I've managed to stay knighted up till Luthia died, then devertoed intentionally to resurrect my allies and once just the two arks remained, it's been relatively easy to finish them.

Update: Vell 7 and 8 cleared on first try, nothing major compared to Vell 6. On Vell 9 I failed at defeating Adolmaea, but I've managed to defeat the two Rexes, for Adolmaea going mage is required, due to his physical barrier (and I was umprepared for that).

Update 2: I've managed to defeat Adolmaea with strong slashes from my knight and Eclipse Gate spells from Kara. Towards the end I had to get out of battle, open main menu and refill my items stock with the ones I've stored in reserve chars inventory, that allowed me to stay alive and finish him.

Update 3: Wizel too has been taken down in Vell 10, a hard fight but of the 5 knights the one that gave me more trouble has been Luthia in Vell 6, I almost gave up against her. Time to prepare well for the final confrontation with Madoras in the Apex.

Edited by Brightblade

• 2 weeks later...

Madoras has fallen in the Apex, took me 10-12 tries, but when I finally succeeded I finished in 18 minutes and got an S. I took ideas from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOwv57f3I-M

and in the second part I let the two NPC mages slaughter him while healing and supporting them from afar, he just targeted my avatar once, so I had an easy time keeping me and the other members always in top shape. The hardest trophy is gone, now I'm marching towards GR30 and the platinum will be mine :dance:

• 9 months later...