How is this game?

Dreadnought190

I've never played a Way of the Samurai game b4, but definately heard about them on the ps2 games. I always enjoyed Onimusha games (which have samurais in it), so I was wondering if this game was kinda like that. Also is there a steep learning curve if you've never played the series before? I also like time consuming trophies (if they're fun to do), it convinces me to save some cash 'til Christmas and whatnot. So how's the game? MUCH THANKS:D

This is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it game... if you like the subject matter -- i.e. samurai, feudal Japan, etc -- then you might be able to overlook the game's many issues and enjoy it. It has a 70/100 score at Metacritic (based on 4 reviews), but I very much recommend checking out the reviews before dropping $50 on it. It's not for everybody.

I think the game is a lot of fun, but if you're playing it for trophies, it's not going to be all sunshine and roses... probably some of the most arduous grinding I've done since getting 1000/1000 on Blue Dragon for Xbox 360.

Read my post above... but if you don't think it looks good, then why try to convince yourself to buy it?

Can't think of a game that you could really compare it to.

I did read the post and I do like the subject matter and not looking good doesn't mean that it isn't which is why I asked if there was another game you compare it to

I did read the post and I do like the subject matter and not looking good doesn't mean that it isn't which is why I asked if there was another game you compare it to

The only game I've played that's anything like it is the first "Way of the Samurai" game for PS2, but I doubt that comparison is very helpful to you.

When compared against other games that have been coming out, "Way of the Samurai 3" feels decidedly archaic, as if it were a lost entry in the series that they decided to release 5 years after the fact. If you're looking for something flashy or groundbreaking, this isn't where to look.

But it's the only game I've played that does what it does -- that is, attempt to replicate the experience of, say, an Akira Kurosawa movie -- and while it doesn't exactly hit the mark, it's as close as we're able to get right now without going out and making the game ourselves.

If you're that much on the fence about this game, then I'm not going to recommend it... personally, when I first heard about the series 7 years ago or so, the thought of being put into the sandals of a samurai was so tantalizing that I didn't really care -- and still don't, apparently -- how well it was executed.

That's probably the best way I could put it... the game's designed with a specific niche market in mind and I fall within that niche. Mere probability would suggest that you don't, but the only sure way to tell in this case would be a rental.

I found it very good

and i was pretty hooked to it

the grfx are not so good...but the gameplay was fun

hacking and slashing with spears and katanas or ninja swords

learning all the skills and finding all the swords it was something that kept me motivated

plus some of the stories had some nice twists and were interesting also the Instant kill mode was very challenging.

But i agree with jqtaxpayer this game is not for everyone, first rent then buy..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this like an open world game or what?

Not really. It has a branching story line that's somewhat similar to a Choose Your Own Adventure book; you can choose to ignore the story to work on upgrading your weapons or doing side quests, but the world is fairly small and the amount of things you can do in it fairly limited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...