Anybody plan on playing this?

TRobJunior

• 2 weeks later...

I'll buy this game... whenever it comes out, but I might wait until the price drops if the reviews are superbad. Too soon to say.

Koei developers said the story stays loyal to Homers Illiad, and that gamers can choose between Greek and Trojan campaigns. Playing as Hector and Achilles sounds like a digital dream come true, if the history can appeal to modern gamers. Let's hope that Kleos and Time [Honor and Glory] are the measure of a man and not just mythology. Will Herodotus and Virgils Aeneid [at the end] be included too?

This game caters to my intellect so I'll probably buy it just to find the so called historical inaccuracies.

So far im really enjoying it, it was a bit more then I expected so thats always good. I'm playing on easy & getting my ass kicked so I lack the skill to plat this game, lol. Can't wait for more people to get it & hear there opions on it.

Can you sync your trophies to PSN? I'm having problems after playing this game.

I admit that I am hesitant to pick this game up since no title could encompass the scope and epic battles of the Illiad. I have always been interested in games that pick on mythological themes but it's often too hard to get down the experience.

-

I am definitely going to play it but I don't think I'll pick it up until the price drops much later down the road. If I picked it up right now it would become just 'another game on the pile' since work keeps me super busy these days...

-

And someone else also touched on this but: the graphics aren't that impressive. In all the screenshots and few videos I've seen it seems like some sort of PS2 port to the PS3 console. Hopefully, I am wrong and it looks much better than in the screenshots but I am still looking forward to playing both sides of the war!!!

I admit that I am hesitant to pick this game up since no title could encompass the scope and epic battles of the Illiad. I have always been interested in games that pick on mythological themes but it's often too hard to get down the experience.

I am having a blast with it so far. Finished the first 2 chapters although I am dissapointed that they aren't sticking to the story of the Iliad closely :(. As of the first 2 chapters the gods aren't playing any part of the conflict which was a major part of the Iliad. They also changed some things up with the marriage of Helen and Menelaus.

I am only 2 chapters in so I still have a lot to see and what else they may have changed. I was really hoping for an accurate retelling of the Iliad because you don't have to take to many creative liberties to make it a great game.

Edited by CajunShooter

I am having a blast with it so far. Finished the first 2 chapters although I am dissapointed that they aren't sticking to the story of the Iliad closely :(. As of the first 2 chapters the gods aren't playing any part of the conflict which was a major part of the Iliad. They also changed some things up with the marriage of Helen and Menelaus.

I am only 2 chapters in so I still have a lot to see and what else they may have changed. I was really hoping for an accurate retelling of the Iliad because you don't have to take to many creative liberties to make it a great game.

*SPOILERS* maybe, we all know how the story goes right? [Are spoiler tags really needed for historical games?]

I'm about half way through on hard mode, and you're right the story doesn't stick to the Illiad. The Gods are in the game, you either haven’t gotten far enough yet or you’re not familiar enough with the literature to notice subtle details. [spoiler=ID]Homer’s Illiad basically begins in the 9th year of the war with Achilles refusing to fight, and ends with the funeral of Hector

. The story of the Trojan horse is not part of Homer’s Illiad. The Legends of Troy draws from many literary sources like the Aenied, Herodotus Histories and several extant Greek tragedies that tell side stories of the main characters. So far the larger story is surprisingly well rounded and includes a fair amount of detail. Although several liberties were taken, like with Paris and Penthesilea’s story, the end result is a game that is loosely true to the mythology yet is accessible as a modern action game.

There are some notable things missing from the game, like Hector and the Trojan’s were excellent horsemen ([spoiler=ID]note their demise from the Trojan Horse as a massive ironic plot point

). The game doesn’t attempt to resolve literary questions that irk modern readers, like why does Paris wait until the 9th year of the war to duel Menelaus? It also avoids some of the controversial, less desirable qualities of the Heros, especially Achilles who is quite horrifying and unpleasant in the literature.

Anyways, I could talk about the Oath of Tyndareus all day, but back to the game. The graphics are nothing special but they're not "PS2." The controls are good and smooth for the most part, but the targeting system is crude and really only useful for dueling. Sound is just okay, cheesy yet serious voice acting, the music is great and the game includes the soundtrack. Overall I like the game, it lacks some of the brutality you’d expect from a M rated game, and doesn’t feel very epic so far. The story is, well.... acceptable.

Bottom line: good game, lots of fun, but probably not worthy of the $60 price tag for most gamers, unless you’re a history geek like me.

I’ve noticed the name pronunciations are weird, like instead of saying Zeus they say Zaius, like Dr. Zaius from Planet of the Apes. Maybe because it’s a French-Canadian production?

Edited by Drakes Coffin
Spoilers? Really?

The Gods are in the game, you either haven’t gotten far enough yet or you’re not familiar enough with the literature to notice subtle details.

Like I said I was only on the second chapter and it looked as if they might do the same as the movie Troy and just forget about the gods, but I got to the famous scene of Aphrodite saving Paris from Menelaous.

Anyway, since they were taking from more literary sources rather than just the Iliad I would have liked to seen the game start off with the reason for the whole Trojan War. The Wedding that the goddess of Discord wasn't invited to and the golden apple given to Aphrodite who then promised Paris he would get the prettiest girl in the world which was why he ended up falling in love with Helen.

I am now on to Chapter 6 and I'm hoping they give more on Achilles back story being the child of Thetis.

• 1 year later...

The game looks great. I'm not a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series but this game looks alot more fun. It's not a very popular game, you can barely find any good videos on Youtube about it and the gameplay looks fun. I would get it if the price drops down. Cant find a good price for it, Ebay, Amazon, or anywhere else it's like 30$ or more.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Saw some videos on this game long ago and if you like dynasty warrior games this game may be your kind of treat. Been meaning to play this as for some reason I have a bit of a weakness for dynasty warriors. :shrugs:

I'm a huge DW/ Omega Force Productions fan, and been trying to find this for a while without having to pay outrageous import prices for it. Fortunately it got released on the EU PSN store today :applause: downloading right now