No Space Marine 2

So I was reading on Joystiq, who spoke with Danny Bilson THQ Executive VP:

"He balks at promising a sequel, however, saying that the Space Marine gameplay may bump up against THQ's planned Warhammer 40K MMO, Dark Millennium, in 2013. "We've already announced the Imperium in the MMO as a class you can play," he says, "and if you combine that it's very active, as opposed to the more turn-based stuff. I'm not sure there's room for Space Marine." But there is more coming for you, battle brothers: "We are heavily invested in the 40K universe, so there's more stuff coming in the 40K universe, absolutely. We extended the deal for quite a while."

I am very disappointed with this news, an MMO? Blech...they can keep it. Alas, Captain Titus, I knew thee well...

Edited by Overtkill21

MMOs are were the money is. At least in the eyes of publishers. But there seems to be a curse upon the Warhammer-Franchise and MMOs as neither Wolfenheim nor WAR were supreme examples of maintenance or player count and I really doubt the new one will be any different.

You can't successfully target a player group which already spent a lot of its income in the reason it's interested in the franchise :D

A shame though, they don't care more for this game.

I would love a new Chaos Gate or Rites of War style game.

@jamby: Tau already got their game: Fire Warrior. A pretty solid fast paced shooter.

It'll be pretty sad that THQ is going to go MMO rather than follow this up, it sounds to me like they have already made up their minds on the direction their studio is going.

That said at least I have Darksiders 2 to look forward to, from THQ. Space Marine 2 will most likely only exist in our heads.

It sucks that there might not be a Space Marine 2... but that doesn't mean there wont be any more 40k games at all. Hopefully, some other developer will decide to tackle the 40k universe and produce another great game. Pretty much anything "WARHAMMER" in my book is gold. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, aside from some ridiculous trophy requirements, I love this game. The occult/demon possession stuff at the end was a turn-off, but roaming through hordes of Orks who roar with English accents, splattering gore on my armor as I shoulder-slam five at once, and spilling gallons of blood with a chainsword.... ah. What a great game! No enemy has made me laugh harder than the little Gretchins that squeak "Space Marine!" and the big ones that say "It takes more than that to kill an Ork!" in the moment of their death.

A sequel in an environment with shrubbery and greens or blues would have been superb. Add some more co-op missions, tone down the ridiculous 40,000 kills and weapons trophies, and voila! One of the best follow-up games ever.

• 1 month later...

What occult demon possession? If you mean about the tech priest then he was already dead when the Chaos lord took control of his body, it wasn't possession but more like puppetry with invisible strings.

And Titus was charged with been corrupted by chaos and no being possessed either. You may be talking about some other part though, so I could be wrong.

In a way that's good because maybe the next action game in 40k universe will have a decent, canonical plot for a change. AND maybe it won't force us to play as an Ultramarine in the single player ;).

Though I really hope that they will stay true to the main concepts of Space Marine like:

- no cover system, stay oldschool

- you don't die from a few pathetic shots like in CoD or BF, the marines can take some beating

- a balance of melee and shooting

• 1 month later...

well, I'd very much like a more or less turn-based game based on Space Hulk. Have your own squad/chapter of Marines, that gains experience (and whose characters can die), going against a Hulk of Genestealers.

Part of that hankering will be fulfilled by the new XCom, I hope, but I'd still like a Space Hulk game.