Thoughts on current Vita games dilemma

I defend the Vita all the time, because i truly believed they had a pretty good amount of games and we're coming out pretty close to each other. But now I'm a little disappointed, the last exclusive game we got was Tearaway (I'm pretty sure at least.) but that seems like forever ago. Now all that is really announced for the Vita in the near future and at all is either a port of ps3 or ps2 games (Borderlands 2, GoW and Sly Collection.) or indie games that I can also play on my ps3 or ps4. Which in all honesty indie games IMO are more suited for vita usually.

But here's my question, how does Sony plan to sell there system without more exclusives. I thought they were gonna fix there issues of long droughts when we got Killzone and Tearaway last Fall which were both great games and worth having a vita to play but now we don't even have any announced exclusives besides Gravity Rush 2? And Soul Sacrifice Delta which is not an actual sequel if I'm correct.

I'm kind of worried that Sony is focusing so much on remote play that they will reduce efforts to make more triple A exclusives on the vita since they like to say things like "you can play AC4 or BF4 on my vita" but don't realize that even if remote play consistently worked the vita is meant to play on the go not just at my house and local wifi locations. Anyways I hope Sony doesn't ignore the Vita in terms of exclusives because I love my Vita and hope the best for it, for my own selflessness and for Sony's sake.

I always say that the Vita is one of the greatest systems I ever played on (hardware and system-software wise) but it's also currently not in use for some reason. Like you said, there are not many games releasing currently. I visit my local store like once a month and there is always the same selection of retail vita games for like 3 months in a row. It feels dead here. I play more japanese games on the Vita than western ones at the moment.

In my opinion, there is no real market in the west for the Vita. I find myself playing this handheld only at home which is not really the point of a portable system. People are carrying their Quad-Core Smartphones around constantly and there are "free" games in the app-stores. We all know that those smartphone games are inferior to Vita games in every way but the masses don't care.

I can also say with some confidence, that playing a Vita in public would make you look like a "dork" here, whereas it's perfectly normal to stare at your smartphone 24/7.

You can also see that publishers are scared to release Vita games in the west. The Final Fantasy HD Remake got a nice special editon in Japan with both games on physical gamecards and a big box with nice artwork. Here, there is only FF-X with a downloadable code for X-2.

I'm actually looking forward to the God of War Collection. It's another freaking remake *sigh* but at least a franchise that I like. Other than that, there's not much for me to get for the Vita in the foreseable future.

Will import japanese games again I guess...

As for Sony not releasing exclusives: I think it will stay that way. They focus on indies and remote play because it's not an expensive investment and it kinda keeps the system alive. Tearaway, even though an exclusive, wasn't really expensive because the team consisted of like 6 people or so. What's there in the future? Some japanese games finally seeing a western release, PS2 / PS3 remakes and indie titles. That says that Sony isn't investing in new exclusives for the Vita. It's all on the PS4 IMO.

Edited by Legion2000

I agree that sony seem to be seriously neglecting the vita, theres a lot of games out but that's only helpful for someone who's just brought a vita, for someone who's had one since launch the games are just too few and far between, and no one person is bound to like all of the releases.

I'm getting pretty mad at sony here but i doubt their stance will change, they've already put all of their teams on ps4 so vita releases are just going to get fewer still. I'm always going to have hope for the vita, that maybe once ps4 launch year madness is over sony will actually remember the vita, you never know, yeah.. lets go with that..

I love the vita and hope that its not over for it yet at least.

Even though I don't have a Vita yet, but I can tell that PS Vita has an awesome selection of games to choose from. But that's because I love Japanese games. Though I do wish more of them were localized, but it doesn't change the fact that there's so many great games on PS Vita that I would buy if I had one just because of what games interests me.

I love the potential that the Vita has and I'm hoping that Sony will continue to support it much like the PSP. I do agree that many developers aren't realizing what the Vita can do and there aren't that many original IPs being made for it. Probably the best exclusively-made Vita game out right now is Gravity Rush and its sequel should be coming out soon. There's also Freedom Wars that was announced some time ago and maybe by E3 we'll get to see more games.

I'm actually looking forward to the God of War Collection. It's another freaking remake *sigh* but at least a franchise that I like. Other than that, there's not much for me to get for the Vita in the foreseable future.

Will import japanese games again I guess...

Yah I am kinda disappointed in that price point (30$ I think) mostly because if they were gonna port GoW 1 and 2 they should have ported the whole GoW Saga 1-3, Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus, and even Ascension. I know GoW 3 and Ascenion would be harder cause they are graphically impressive but I don't want them to release them like the ps3.

I can see them at Sony Santa Monica right now...

Sony worker 1: hmm how can we milk God of War more?

Sony worker 2: well we could remake the games?

1: but we already remade every game for ps3.

2: we could remake it for ps vita also.

1: that's a great idea, so should we port all 6 games on 1 Cartidge?

2: nope, we should do what we did on ps3, make PS2 HD collection (1,2) first, then PSP Collection (GoS, CoO) then release ports of 3 and GoW Ascension seperatatly.

1: that's a great idea!

2: yah I know then we can release the GoW Saga with all 6 games on the vita for a discounted price of 40$.

1: omg ur a genious here's a raise.

2: that's not all though, after that we will remake all 6 games on PS4 for the inevitable release of GoW 4 on PS4 and make it remote play on Vita so u can play all 7 games on PS4 and Vita and make millions.

1: Mind Blown!!!

And sadly I think I will regrettably get them as well for vita but will wait for a discounted price like I do for most ports and/or HD collections.

Yah I am kinda disappointed in that price point (30$ I think) mostly because if they were gonna port GoW 1 and 2 they should have ported the whole GoW Saga 1-3, Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus, and even Ascension. I know GoW 3 and Ascenion would be harder cause they are graphically impressive but I don't want them to release them like the ps3.

I can see them at Sony Santa Monica right now...

Sony worker 1: hmm how can we milk God of War more?

Sony worker 2: well we could remake the games?

1: but we already remade every game for ps3.

2: we could remake it for ps vita also.

1: that's a great idea, so should we port all 6 games on 1 Cartidge?

2: nope, we should do what we did on ps3, make PS2 HD collection (1,2) first, then PSP Collection (GoS, CoO) then release ports of 3 and GoW Ascension seperatatly.

1: that's a great idea!

2: yah I know then we can release the GoW Saga with all 6 games on the vita for a discounted price of 40$.

1: omg ur a genious here's a raise.

2: that's not all though, after that we will remake all 6 games on PS4 for the inevitable release of GoW 4 on PS4 and make it remote play on Vita so u can play all 7 games on PS4 and Vita and make millions.

1: Mind Blown!!!

And sadly I think I will regrettably get them as well for vita but will wait for a discounted price like I do for most ports and/or HD collections.

You can already play the PSP titles on the Vita so there won't be a port of them atleast.

I'm actually looking forward to the release of this. I skipped playing GoW on PS2 and 3 since I wasn't into that type of game then. I tried remoteplaying the first but the inputlag and jerky framerate made me drop it after the first stage. Hope this is better.

You might be expecting too much here. The PS3 had the storage space with the blu-ray disc to store all God of War games on one disc but with the Vita, it's a different story. The "biggest" game in terms of size is probably still the MGS collection with 2 games on one cartridge and maybe the Jak and Daxter collection. God of War Games were always huge in size (Dual Layer DVD on PS2) so it's already quite impressive to squeeze 2 GoW games on one cartridge. Unlike the blu-ray, the manufacturing costs for the gamecards rise with the size of the game so $30 is totally fine for 2 games on a single gamecard IMO.

@Wolf1 Yes, you nailed it :) There are plenty of great games on Vita but new releases are (and were) too few and too far between. Getting a Vita now is no problem, you'll have plenty to play. But what does the future hold? ^^

You might be expecting too much here. The PS3 had the storage space with the blu-ray disc to store all God of War games on one disc but with the Vita, it's a different story. The "biggest" game in terms of size is probably still the MGS collection with 2 games on one cartridge and maybe the Jak and Daxter collection. God of War Games were always huge in size (Dual Layer DVD on PS2) so it's already quite impressive to squeeze 2 GoW games on one cartridge. Unlike the blu-ray, the manufacturing costs for the gamecards rise with the size of the game so $30 is totally fine for 2 games on a single gamecard IMO.

@Wolf1 Yes, you nailed it :) There are plenty of great games on Vita but new releases are (and were) too few and too far between. Getting a Vita now is no problem, you'll have plenty to play. But what does the future hold? ^^

Yah I was actually thinking that right after posting but was also thinking they could do what FF10HD is doing and put as much as can fit on cartridge and make the other part downloadable. And yah i always forget u can play psp games on Vita but I would have liked them to maybe bundle 2 cartridges together with GoW 3 on one and 1 and 2 on the other than like saga come with 2 codes for the psp games then charge like 50$ for it all. Although I guess I might be in the minority but I find it hard to get excited to play the GoW trilogy without the full trilogy, but that might just be me

I only just got my Vita so for me no problems, ill never get the time to play all games I want on it.

For those who have got it since release I can understand your troubles.

Maybe try to import more for those who dont do so already!

Yah I was actually thinking that right after posting but was also thinking they could do what FF10HD is doing and put as much as can fit on cartridge and make the other part downloadable. And yah i always forget u can play psp games on Vita but I would have liked them to maybe bundle 2 cartridges together with GoW 3 on one and 1 and 2 on the other than like saga come with 2 codes for the psp games then charge like 50$ for it all. Although I guess I might be in the minority but I find it hard to get excited to play the GoW trilogy without the full trilogy, but that might just be me

Yeah, I know what you mean. I prefer cartridges as well (memory card space is expensive and limited) but GoW3 is TOTALLY different and much harder to port to the Vita.Developers would've need to go from scratch for this game alone. But you are esentially right, a collection should feature all (major) games.

It's funny that you mention the Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD remake because that's a prime example of how to rip off customers imo. Japan gets both, X and X-2 on physical cartridges. We get a shitty download-code for the same price. So we have to "pay extra" because we have to waste more than 4GB of our memory card space just because SE is too cheap to give us X-2 on a cartridge. I'm not a fan of X-2 but if I pay for it, I want to have the physical copy in my collection, just like japanese gamers can do.

Sorry for getting off topic.

There certainly is a distinct lack of games getting released that interest me. Indie titles are nice sometimes, but that's not what I wanted a Vita for. I want exciting, amazing, hardware-pushing titles.

Golden Abyss, LBP, Killzone and Tearaway are great games and I hope Sony has more like them on the way. Where's inFamous? Where's God of War (a new game, like the PSP titles, not a bloody port)?

Speaking of ports...:mad: I'm surprised Dead Nation hasn't come to the Vita yet.

Third party wise, I'd still really love a GTA title, but Rockstar Games know they won't be making a GTA V-style return on that investment, so they won't bother.

If BioShock Vita is pretty much not happening, then there isn't a single upcoming Vita game that interests me. That doesn't bode well at all.

I'll be honest, I have been very happy with my vita in the last year. There have been some good games on it and it seems to be a place for some niche games and RPG's. Coming soon:

1. Mind = Zero

2. Demon Gaze

3. Disgaea 4

4. Conception 2

5. Borderlands 2

Its also seen P4 golden released, D3, Ragnarok Odessey Ace 2, and now the FFX/X-2 remaster. A couple have PS3/4 versions and it keeps getting parallel ports (MLB 2014 the show). The system really seems to be getting an increased amount of love over the last year and I think it's going to continue to grow with popularity and PS4 link. For the most part, development cycles last at least 1-2 years which means there's never an instantaneous change if something begins to become popular.

I'll be honest, I have been very happy with my vita in the last year. There have been some good games on it and it seems to be a place for some niche games and RPG's. Coming soon:

1. Mind = Zero

2. Demon Gaze

3. Disgaea 4

4. Conception 2

5. Borderlands 2

Its also seen P4 golden released, D3, Ragnarok Odessey Ace 2, and now the FFX/X-2 remaster. A couple have PS3/4 versions and it keeps getting parallel ports (MLB 2014 the show). The system really seems to be getting an increased amount of love over the last year and I think it's going to continue to grow with popularity and PS4 link. For the most part, development cycles last at least 1-2 years which means there's never an instantaneous change if something begins to become popular.

I believe if ur a hardcore rpg fan the vita will be the best system for anyone, but for any other genre it doesn't seem like it'll continue to make blockbuster triple A franchises on vita.

Sony dropped the ball hard with the Vita.

It's currently beating sales for the Wii U in Japan so they should continue their best to cater to that market for now, maybe try and snag a Monster Hunter game and do a deal with Capcom.

Then get Naughty Dog to work on a spin-off for The Last of Us.

Possibly try to get a game that has a decent multiplayer portion as everything thus far has been pretty underwhelming.

You guys are all making valid points, but I feel like Vita is pretty much on par with how they treated the PSP before.

There are a few big releases in a year. It's true that releasing more games could potentially improve hardware sales, but I see how they aren't willing to risk the expense of a heavy develop cycle.

Still, this is where the Vita is actually getting more love than PSP ever did from Sony. They've had their core talented first party developers make some great games on the system (Mm/Tearaway, and Guerilla/Killzone) instead of lending their licenses to a smaller dev company to make it (like Daxter on PSP etc).

I think all that is lacking in Vita compared to PSP is the big third party games. My favorite games on PSP were MGS:Peacewalker (Konami) Crisis Core (Square-Enix) and Liberty City Stories (Rockstar). I still believe this will come with time. Hopefully Borderlands 2 will open the gates for more support.