Fans push to bring Borderlands 2 to PlayStation Vita

A passionate Borderlands fan and PlayStation Vita owner is pushing to get the game's sequel, Borderlands 2 on Sony's new handheld system.

The fan, who goes by the name "thatoneguy42" has started a Reddit thread in hopes of gaining the support and traction needed to publicly persuade 2K and Sony into bringing Borderlands 2 to the Vita.

What started off a simple wish, led to the user emailing Gearbox and allegedly receiving a response back from Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford.

The image of the purported email from Pitchford supposedly reads:

I love the Vita as do a lot of folks at the studio and we have explored this. We’ll need some partner’s help and partner’s commitments to make this happen.

We haven't received any confirmation that the email response was legit (I'm hesitant to believe it's real), but the thread itself has received a ton of support from gamers who would like to see Borderlands 2 on the Vita, regardless if the response from Pitchford was real.

The thread provides the emails and addresses to the PR departments at Sony and 2K, in which the creator urges fans to write the companies and show their support for a Vita version of Borderlands 2.

Whether or not fan pressure will actually result in a Borderlands 2 port remains to be seen. It hasn't yet worked with fans planning protests in hopes of seeing a Half-Life 3 game from Valve. But if there is anything to learn from these examples, it's that fan movements like these surely do get noticed. Last month, Namco responded to a fan petition to bring Dark Souls to PC.

The validity of the email means nothing to me. I'm proud that gamers are taking initiative and banding together to bring the games they want to the platforms they want. Hopefully, it all works out because Borderlands 2 on the Vita would be hella' cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fans push to bring Borderlands 2 to PlayStation Vita | Borderlands 2 News | GameZone

• 2 months later...
That's an unreal expectation to want them to port it to Vita, It would involve a lot more work than it would be worth to 2k, and I'm not even sure if it would be possible at all.

When you make a petition, at least make it for something feasible.

I don't think it's that unrealistic as currently 2k who were planning to have a Bioshock on Vita (now on hold until Infinite is released) have nothing to offer the Vita currently. You also have to think that when the announcement of Bioshock was outed they would have provisionally forecasted some revenue in this year for that. On top of that you have Activision offering a COD later this year for FPS fans and Ubisoft an Assassin's Creed so will they not want to offer any titles for Vita for 12 to 18 months? Maybe but also maybe not.

If they can offer a borderlands 2 title or even invest to get to remote play I think there a likelihood they might.

[update]

Pitchford has said that three teams have expressed interest in making a Vita version of Borderlands 2

At a recent preview event where I was given hands-on time with the game, I took the opportunity to ask Pitchford for clarification. When asked if any outside development teams had stepped forward to offer handling the port, Pitchford said that three teams have approached Gearbox since the news from Rezzed broke. He declined to name who those developers were, but he made sure to iterate that, currently, there is absolutely no PS Vita development occuring. The ball is firmly in Sony's court in terms of approving and governing the porting process, and they've been unfortunately silent on the issue. Pitchford would've loved to see Borderlands 2 being played on a PS Vita at Sony's E3 conference, but it simply never played out.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

I see responses about how it isn't possible to make borderlands 2 on vita . Well why not Borderlands: return of the vault hunters. Or Borderlands: Zeds revenge. Or a borderlands prequel. Or anything borderlands with it's own original story . Doesn't have to be a port.

Edited by railroberto
Correct spelling

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a big Borderlands fan and hope to see this happens. Would prefer if they build a PS Vita version telling other tales instead of just the port. It could be Borderlands 2.V (exclusive to Vita) or a prequel as a few mentioned.

Alternatively if they could Port the iOS game to Vita, it would be great as well with trophies and all (even better if there's a plat).

• 1 month later...
Doesn't sound good to me. I'd like a proper adjustment of a title to fully utilize the vita controls, otherwise what's the point of putting out on the vita?

Why do you assume everyone who owns a Vita owns a PS3/Xbox with borderlands 2?

This would be the perfect game for vita. I imagine B

Doesn't sound good to me. I'd like a proper adjustment of a title to fully utilize the vita controls, otherwise what's the point of putting out on the vita?

Why do you assume everyone who owns a Vita owns a PS3/Xbox with borderlands 2?

This would be the perfect game for vita. I imagine B2 has a co-op system similar to the first one? Other than Unit 13 are there any other online co-op games for vita? Needs more.

• 2 weeks later...
I see responses about how it isn't possible to make borderlands 2 on vita . Well why not Borderlands: return of the vault hunters. Or Borderlands: Zeds revenge. Or a borderlands prequel. Or anything borderlands with it's own original story . Doesn't have to be a port.

Now there's an idea!!!! I wonder if something similar to that could be done for Fallout 3/New Vegas ??

Maybe actually do the Fallout: Van Buren that was never produced!! (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Van_Buren This game was supposed to precede and set the stage for Fallout: New Vegas. Also, what about porting the Mass Effect series and Dragon Age to the Vita??

Edited by Raider77

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I never liked Borderlands. I tested it on the PC and I thought it was boring so I decided not to get it for the PS3.

But if it is released for the Vita I'm definitely getting it since there aren't many games out yet. Plus, for completion's sake, I'm going to get 1 & 2 as well xD

So there you go devs! Make me a game :D

It's great that there's a chance of it coming to the PS Vita, but it won't be as great an experience as if you were playing it on a TV console or PC. Even though Borderlands 2 is a combination of an FPS and an RPG, it shouldn't be made for the PS Vita. Neither should any FPS on any handheld console.