please try to convince me to purchase vita

MMDE

Sure, I want to play the games, but there's all these dumb reasons I don't want to invest in the thing. <_<

My main problem is the proprietary memory cards, they cost 3 times as much as their much faster microSD counter-part. The digital prices is higher than the physical too, so I guess I won't really be purchasing that many games, but the games will automatically be much more expensive since I had to pay for the memory cards. A huge problem is just that there are more digital games than retail on the system.

Apparently there are account locks on the system so it's more difficult than on PS3 to play games that is not available in your region. Forget about actually getting these games on your trophy card too.

So, yeah, anyone who can convince me into purchasing a vita?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how you need to be convinced.

1) You can earn instant double plats on some games. Cheating? To some. Personally? I love it ;)

2) Not worried about trophies? You can have every Final Fantasy (or many other PSOne games if those aren't your persuasion).

3) Games on the go. Do you travel? Visit boring family members? Etc.

4) Future planning. They will eventually bring a PSVita exclusive of something you love. For example, I bought mine based completely on the fact that they will release some offshoot of Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy (Like Type-O or Birth by Sleep).

Do you need more? I can go on, just what type of gamer are you?

There's no getting around the proprietary memory card deal, so just factor that into the cost of initial purchase. It bothers me too, but I got a deal on a Vita that offset the memory card cost so it wasn't so bad.

I would say that if you really must play games across different regions, then don't get it. Otherwise, I don't see the reason not to, if you want to earn trophies on the go, can afford the system and there are enough games in your region you are interested in. I think it's a great device, I don't regret purchasing it.

I also have PS+, so there's tons of content already available for me, not to mention the cross-buy games I automatically got from the PS3 versions.

Edited by Vyrastas

There's no getting around the proprietary memory card deal, so just factor that into the cost of initial purchase. It bothers me too, but I got a deal on a Vita that offset the memory card cost so it wasn't so bad.

I would say that if you really must play games across different regions, then don't get it. Otherwise, I don't see the reason not to, if you want to earn trophies on the go, can afford the system and there are enough games in your region you are interested in.

I'd expound a bit on that by clarifying you can play retail physical games from any region (via importing them in). It's only a limitation if you're thinking about try to download and play games under the same account through other regions that you cannot.

I'd expound a bit on that by clarifying you can play retail physical games from any region (via importing them in). It's only a limitation if you're thinking about try to download and play games under the same account through other regions that you cannot.

Good point, I'm doing everything digital on Vita so I forget about the physical aspect sometimes.

Nope, not gonna convince you until you finish the Demon's Souls guide first, sorry. :p

That'd be the day, eh? Dunno if you caught my messaging saying I did the JP version in 5 hours (3rd fastest in the world across all versions, and I think 1st is not really legit... 2-3 hours wtf??). ;) The method I used was what I was going to describe in the guide.

Depends on how you need to be convinced.

1) You can earn instant double plats on some games. Cheating? To some. Personally? I love it ;)

2) Not worried about trophies? You can have every Final Fantasy (or many other PSOne games if those aren't your persuasion).

3) Games on the go. Do you travel? Visit boring family members? Etc.

4) Future planning. They will eventually bring a PSVita exclusive of something you love. For example, I bought mine based completely on the fact that they will release some offshoot of Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy (Like Type-O or Birth by Sleep).

Do you need more? I can go on, just what type of gamer are you?

1. I like that, even though it feels kinda stupid doing so. :p

2. I already do this on my PSP, and on my PSP I can do it with all the PS1 games I already own...... xD

3. Not a whole lot to be honest. When I am at some kind of family members place or something I'm usually the main guest, and it would be kind of awkward if I was just sitting there playing then. I'm not 16 years old anymore (soon 24). I'm sure the one place I would be playing with it the most would be the toilet. o.o'' I have the habbit of reading long books while on the toilet too, so I guess it would cut into that.

4. Yeah, I'm sure there's some exclusives I would love to play.

I would say that if you really must play games across different regions, then don't get it. Otherwise, I don't see the reason not to, if you want to earn trophies on the go, can afford the system and there are enough games in your region you are interested in. I think it's a great device, I don't regret purchasing it.

I also have PS+, so there's tons of content already available for me, not to mention the cross-buy games I automatically got from the PS3 versions.

Yeah, the memory card stuff just pisses me off, as it is nothing they can actually change unless they did some new version where they allowed it in a second port or something. Because of the size, there will probably never be a microSD to vita memory card converter, or if there will be, it will be sticking outside the console or you have to mod your console. I'd rather not do that, as that's really out of my area.

I wish I didn't really have to play games across different regions, but it's extremely frustrating when games I want to play on my vita is not available for me to play and gain trophies on main account. If they ever actually release it in my region I would feel kinda dumb for purchasing it off another region. <_<

Yeah, I noticed I got a lot of "free" games through PS+ for the vita. It at least gives me some reason to get it. I've made sure to activate all the free stuff every time, so it should all be possible for me to still get.

Yes, I know about the retail games, and I will probably end up purchasing a lot retail since that's usually a lot cheaper for me. What I do miss out on then is cross-platform deals.

Do it, all the cool kids have a Vita.

Would have been a good argument if I potentially wanted to be one of the cool kids.

Edited by MMDE

I spent a year toying with the idea and got 1 a few weeks ago, im glad I did. There a nice little gadget to have and im about half way through uncharted and its really cool.

By 1 pre owned off ebay. I did and there is not a mark on it and it was half the price with 2 games and 8 months warranty.

Due to family commitments (having 3 young kids) i have recently swapped my PS3 for a Vita. After having the vita for a month now i absolutely love it. the time i got to play the PS3 was getting less and less, but no i have the Vita i can play anywhere anytime really, on the toilet, at work, on the train, with the wife when she watches all her broing TV.

But 1 thing i will say is that if i had the choice and feedom to play both when ever i wanted it would be PS3 hands down. They simply dont compare as competitors, i think you either have one or the other, or if you have both the Vita is simply an accessory, something that allows you to play when its not possible to bring your ps3 and 52 inch plasma along with you.

But dont get me wrong, the Vita is a fantastic piece of kit and has actually made me start enjoying working late shifts and weekends again as i get a lot of game time in. But its not just a game machine, its also good for music and film on the go (if you dont already have an Ipad or such)

Not sure if that will convince you, but if your a dedicated gamer and have the money, time and freedom to use one then i would recomend it.

You also may want to wait until E3. Perhaps if they release some more information on the PS4, they may announce some sort of bundle. This is of course dependent on whether you want a PS4.

Regardless of PS4, they may announce a price cut (unlikely due to Sony CEO stating there is not enough profit margin after exporting system to US).

I spent a year toying with the idea and got 1 a few weeks ago, im glad I did. There a nice little gadget to have and im about half way through uncharted and its really cool.

By 1 pre owned off ebay. I did and there is not a mark on it and it was half the price with 2 games and 8 months warranty.

Great to hear you got a good deal. It's not that simple for me. I have to pay shipping and custom charges (%25 of total price (including shipping) + handling (20,5USD)).

Due to family commitments (having 3 young kids) i have recently swapped my PS3 for a Vita. After having the vita for a month now i absolutely love it. the time i got to play the PS3 was getting less and less, but no i have the Vita i can play anywhere anytime really, on the toilet, at work, on the train, with the wife when she watches all her broing TV.

But 1 thing i will say is that if i had the choice and feedom to play both when ever i wanted it would be PS3 hands down. They simply dont compare as competitors, i think you either have one or the other, or if you have both the Vita is simply an accessory, something that allows you to play when its not possible to bring your ps3 and 52 inch plasma along with you.

But dont get me wrong, the Vita is a fantastic piece of kit and has actually made me start enjoying working late shifts and weekends again as i get a lot of game time in. But its not just a game machine, its also good for music and film on the go (if you dont already have an Ipad or such)

Not sure if that will convince you, but if your a dedicated gamer and have the money, time and freedom to use one then i would recomend it.

The way I live now I rarely have a spare moment where I could only play on a Vita and not on the PS3. My wife can go watch her series and stuff on another projector.

As for music, I paid 85USD for a tiny 8GB multimedia player I could install Rockbox firmware on and a 32GB microSD card. The microSD card is much faster than the Vita memory card. And last time I checked the 32GB Vita memory card cost 90USD on amazon. Oh, and don't forget, it's far more expensive for me to purchase stuff here and also expensive to import.

I remember my first PSP, someone broke my screen and then later on someone stole it (one of the four things I've ever had stolen from me, other stuff is like a coin). <_< So much for taking it with me outside.

I got some money, but I'm a real cheapo, that way the money last longer, and I always have some money. haha

You also may want to wait until E3. Perhaps if they release some more information on the PS4, they may announce some sort of bundle. This is of course dependent on whether you want a PS4.

Regardless of PS4, they may announce a price cut (unlikely due to Sony CEO stating there is not enough profit margin after exporting system to US).

Yeah, I'm hoping for a price cut. They may also announce some new model. It's pretty much usual of Sony to release more than one model of each of their game consoles.

The tech is really fun to use. Touchscreen, rear touchpad, cameras, motion sensor, light sensor. The way these are implemented in games is astounding. Remote Play is great too, if only more games were compatible.

Which brings me to the only way I can convince someone to get a Vita - games. Of course it all comes down to what you like, but for me, Golden Abyss, LBP Vita and Stranger's Wrath are three fantastic games that everyone must play. You can get Stranger on PS3, but its still awesome on Vita.

I'm still hoping for entries in other franchises (GTA, inFamous, God of War), but surely there are some games you have in mind that you want. If not, I can only advise that you wait.

Edited by AshtimusPrime

It's actually quite a nice piece of technology, and pretty darned impressive for a handheld system.

While it has the region issue, it actually feels like a mimi PS3 for me. I played on the PSP for the first time in a while, and it just felt really flimsy and cheap in comparison lol. Not to mention there's no loud noise of the UMD disc spinning :p

Also, I like the PSN layout for the Vita much better than the PS3.

The tech is really fun to use. Touchscreen, rear touchpad, cameras, motion sensor, light sensor. The way these are implemented in games is astounding. Remote Play is great too, if only more games were compatible.

Which brings me to the only way I can convince someone to get a Vita - games. Of course it all comes down to what you like, but for me, Golden Abyss, LBP Vita and Stranger's Wrath are three fantastic games that everyone must play. You can get Stranger on PS3, but its still awesome on Vita.

I'm still hoping for entries in other franchises (GTA, inFamous, God of War), but surely there are some games you have in mind that you want. If not, I can only advise that you wait.

I don't particularly like touchscreens in most cases. If used correctly, sure, fine, but else I see little use for it when the console has excellent analog buttons.

The remote play feature can be nice if/when I get a PS4. Probably won't purchase PS4 within the first year. It would be nice to use whenever I went to the toilet, and I could bring with me the game there. xD

Already got Stranger's Wrath on PS3. I would love to play LBP on Vita though. Golden Abyss does sound interesting. I know there are some games I would more like to play too, even if LBP is high on that list.

It's actually quite a nice piece of technology, and pretty darned impressive for a handheld system.

While it has the region issue, it actually feels like a mimi PS3 for me. I played on the PSP for the first time in a while, and it just felt really flimsy and cheap in comparison lol. Not to mention there's no loud noise of the UMD disc spinning :p

Also, I like the PSN layout for the Vita much better than the PS3.

I got some PSP games, but I mostly use my PSP as an emulator. xD There are better NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64 games etc I can play on it than any PSP game. :p It's actually easier to play pirated stuff on that console than stuff I've purchased. -_-' Sony and their way of driving their customers away with lots of stuff to fight pirates, when all they do is make it easier to pirate than to purchase through their services. But that's beside the point anyways. So I kinda already got a handheld system to play a lot of games on already, though no trophies, but else, it's pretty sweet, and that stuff I can't do on Vita (yet). But I guess we shouldn't really be talking about these kind of stuff on this forum.

The remote play feature can be nice if/when I get a PS4. Probably won't purchase PS4 within the first year. It would be nice to use whenever I went to the toilet, and I could bring with me the game there. xD

I was referring to Remote Play with PS3 games. Currently it works with ICO/Shadow Collection, God of War Collection and a couple of others. Very disappointing that there are so few, which is why I'm hoping Sony aren't bullshitting us when they say all PS4 games will be compatible with Remote Play.

I'm playing Shadow at the moment. To be able to save my game, activate the Vita and then continue from that point on is pretty damn good. Not to mention necessary when The Wife wants the TV. Married men everywhere need more Remote Play games!

I was referring to Remote Play with PS3 games. Currently it works with ICO/Shadow Collection, God of War Collection and a couple of others. Very disappointing that there are so few, which is why I'm hoping Sony aren't bullshitting us when they say all PS4 games will be compatible with Remote Play.

I'm playing Shadow at the moment. To be able to save my game, activate the Vita and then continue from that point on is pretty damn good. Not to mention necessary when The Wife wants the TV. Married men everywhere need more Remote Play games!

Yeah, already done with GoW Collection 1, not really that fond of GoW, kinda boring. I've yet to get around to finish the rest of the colossus on hard time trial. Same thing about ICO speedrun. I can't exactly see myself purchasing the console to play those two games. Yeah, let's hope PS4 makes it so all games are supported with this function and so developers won't have to do the job.

Edited by MMDE

...Why? You obviously are bothered by some of the shittier aspects of the Vita, and you know what? You should be. The memory cards and their prices are atrocious. I don't blame you for not giving in; I only have a Vita because of the bundles that include a memory card. 4GB is pathetically bad, but I'll stick with it because I refuse to pay nearly $100 for a card that should cost $20. Making a proprietary format that I can't use in anything else to try and curb piracy I can forgive, but overpricing that format by a factor of nearly 5 just to rake in loads of extra cash I cannot.

Also, forget about PSP games. Lots of them are randomly not compatible for some reason. Same with PS1 games. Absolutely do not buy a Vita for backwards compatibility because the backwards compatibility on it is shit. I'd honestly say that the BC on the PS4 is an improvement, because rather than sitting around hoping that every Tuesday is the Tuesday that Sony finally lets me play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops on my PS Vita (or that somebody finally hacks the Vita so I can play it without Sony's blessing because fuck'em if they want to keep us in the dark like this when Europe gets the game which tell us that it damn well works on Vita), I know straight away that I won't be playing any of my old games on it. Sucks, but knowing that as a concrete fact beats waiting around hoping a game I want is finally playable every week and being disappointed every week. I mean, you already said it yourself:

Sony and their way of driving their customers away with lots of stuff to fight pirates, when all they do is make it easier to pirate than to purchase through their services.
(Also Jimquisition time: The Escapist : Video Galleries : Jimquisition : Sony's Begging For Piracy)

So, basically, rather than convince you to get a Vita, the only thing I can do here is convince you to NOT get a Vita. Wait until Sony removes head from ass and drops the memory cards to a reasonable price. Hopefully by then, there will be enough original Vita titles on offer (unless you really like PS3 ports and would like to pay to replay them rather than just using your PS3 copy) that you won't have to worry about not being able to play games that aren't available in your region for a while as well.

The tech is really fun to use. Touchscreen, rear touchpad, cameras, motion sensor, light sensor. The way these are implemented in games is astounding.

It's true! For example, I really liked the part in Uncharted Golden Abyss where my progress no longer relied on my skill as a gamer, but whether or not the stupid touch screen felt like recognizing my swipes on it correctly so I could get past a terrible "boss" encounter". I also really liked the part in Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation where I was doing a set of sidequests and it kept making me run out to find the brightest lamp in the house to shove the camera into, and even then it was still spotty. I also liked the part where it wanted me to play some silly "roll a ball through a maze to the goal in the center" mini-game and I had to completely power down my Vita and turn it back on to get the game to recognize the motion controls properly. LittleBigPlanet's use of the Vita's tech was also really great; half the time, you're not even playing LittleBigPlanet! You're playing cheap knockoffs of iPhone games which is totally what I bought a $250 handheld and a $40 game for!

Oh wait, I didn't like any of that because it sucked and isn't what core gaming on a dedicating gaming handheld with buttons should be. The way those are implemented in games really is astounding...ly bad. I wish Sony and their development partners would get the hell over their "OMG GIMMICKS GOTTA USE THEM ALL!" phase and remember that all PSP fans wanted was a second analog stick and more power and make some damn games that actually play like their home console counterparts, only incorporating the extra features when they add to the game rather than break it. Sadly, it doesn't seem like that will happen soon with every trailer I see for Killzone Mercenaries showing of the same "SWIPE TO MELEE ATTACK LOLOL VITA" bullshit that plagued Uncharted.

Just pointing all that out because you also said this:

I don't particularly like touchscreens in most cases. If used correctly, sure, fine, but else I see little use for it when the console has excellent analog buttons.

(also, Jimquisition time again: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6508-Touch-Waggle-Touch-Waggle-Swipe

Thank god for Jim!)

Edited by mjc0961

It's true! For example, I really liked the part in Uncharted Golden Abyss where my progress no longer relied on my skill as a gamer, but whether or not the stupid touch screen felt like recognizing my swipes on it correctly so I could get past a terrible "boss" encounter".

With the final fight on Crushing in mind, I'll give you this one. Crushing took me an extra day to complete just because of this. The second to last swipe (the right angle) just wouldn't recognise. :mad:

Other than that though...:o