Games region locked?

Kyo28

Just wondering, after reading many posts and website regarding this issue:

I currently live in Europe but I used to live in Japan and as such, my main account (with trophies) is Japanese.

Thinking of picking up a PS Vita in Europe.

Game cartridges are region free but I see other obstacles that I didn't have on PS3:

- games need to be purchased on the region you play in. That means I'm forced to buy everything off the Japanese PSN and I can't get Plants vs Zombies for example. Is that correct?

- games that can be played online, purchased on cartridge, work but if I buy them used I need to buy the online pass. Meaning the region of the online pass, game and account need to match. Is that correct?

Even though I've put in a lot of effort for some trophies, I'm considering to just drop everything and restart trophy collecting on my (new) EU PSN account to avoid any unpleasantness ... especially considering the possible region restrictions the DRM installed in the next Playstation console might have.

So any thoughts? Can I safely get my EU PS Vita and play with my Japanese account, considering I buy my games on cartridge?

Yes you're correct with both of your statements.

You can use your JP account on your EU Vita ok. But as you said even though the games are region free, downloadable games can only be played on the account that purchased them.

And any online passes need to be redeemed on the same region account. So even if you buy an EU game that has an online pass brand new you'd only be able to go online with it via your EU account :(