Man Found an Interesting Use For Remote Play

oversoul53

so as you all know, I listen to the PlayStation Blogcast, and at the end of every episode they share user submitted tips and tricks for PS3/PSP/PS Vita.

in yesterday's episode I heard the most interesting thing ever and felt the need to share it.

so this guy, he's a business man right? He travels a lot. He's takes his Vita with him, and he found out how to use remote play from anywhere in the world (it is possible ---> Remote play outside your home via the Internet | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide)

and what he did was basically used his PS3 as a sort of security camera, and here's how...

before leaving home, he plugged his ps eye cam into his PS3, then while out and about he would periodically launch remote play on his Vita and on his PS3's XMB he would go to Start new Chat > Video/Voice Chat and then lo and behold a live feed of his living room would appear on his Vita screen.

But this wasn't enough for him, no, he took it one step further and attached his eye cam to a rotating fan so that it would pan across the room back and forth.

said it gave him "peace of mind" while he was away on business.

This is the most interesting use of a PlayStation feature I have ever heard of. I'm not sure if this man is genius or paranoid. what you guys think?

He's an idiot. If he's worried about security, he should get a real security system. The PS Eye thing only works if he's watching it 24/7, it's not recording anything to be able to use as evidence in court if needed, and it can't alert authorities on its own. So basically, he's just seeing if anyone is in his living room at the exact time he turns on remote play, and the rest of the time it's unguarded. Thus, idiot.

He's an idiot. If he's worried about security, he should get a real security system. The PS Eye thing only works if he's watching it 24/7, it's not recording anything to be able to use as evidence in court if needed, and it can't alert authorities on its own. So basically, he's just seeing if anyone is in his living room at the exact time he turns on remote play, and the rest of the time it's unguarded. Thus, idiot.

He said it was for "Piece of mind", just so he could check. Not catch burglars. I think that's pretty creative what he did.

He said it was for "Piece of mind", just so he could check. Not catch burglars. I think that's pretty creative what he did.

yeah the way he put it was that he was just checking periodically to make sure there wasn't like a broken window or something. Of course he didn't expect it to be 100% security. Just a little extra security on the side to ease his worries is all.

Definitely a paranoid bastard, unless he lives in the ghetto which I highly doubt then this is pointless. Also the chances of him checking at the same time as hes being robbed are pretty slim. Good idea tho I give him that. Pretty sure Ive heard of someone else doing this to keep an eye on their pets when they are away.

Edited by TheNukes

First thing comes to my mind is cheaters XD Catch your boyfriend/girlfriend cheating on you on the couch?? lol

Anyway since you can access your eye toy via internet away from home, can you remote play games away from home? Cuz I was under impression you had to be within a certain distance of the ps3 to remote play? Also I know not all games work via remote play.

Debate about the gentleman's level of paranoia aside, I do think that's a clever idea, though I wouldn't want to leave my PS3 on for days/weeks at a time while I'm out on a business trip. If anything, I'd be more concerned about the console melting than I would be about burglars.

Remote play allows you to turn your console on and off remotely, from anywhere that you have wifi. I did it the other day while at work, scared the hell out of my wife who was sitting at the computer when the PS3 just beeped on. So no need to leave the console on. Remote play handles that.

Debate about the gentleman's level of paranoia aside, I do think that's a clever idea, though I wouldn't want to leave my PS3 on for days/weeks at a time while I'm out on a business trip. If anything, I'd be more concerned about the console melting than I would be about burglars.

The PS3 doesn't need to be on, just needs to be connected to the power outlet.

wow really? That's awesome.

I didn't think it would be connected to the wifi in standby.

There is a setting where you have to turn {Remote Start} to "ON" on your PS3, so I think that has something to do with enabling some sort of tiny wifi connection while the system sleeps so that when you activate remote play, it pops the system on.