XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > >

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
oversoul53

Send a message via AIM to oversoul53 Send a message via MSN to oversoul53 Send a message via Yahoo to oversoul53 Send a message via Skype™ to oversoul53

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Default How To Use More Than One PSN Account on PS Vita

done some research, and tested this method myself. yes it works.

First of all, note: before you go out and waste your money on a second Vita memory card, let it be know that contrary to popular belief swapping memory cards DOES NOT allow you to use a new PSN account, as the account is tied to the system, not the memory card. (PS Vita has half a gig of internal memory).

so first of all, connect you PS Vita to a PS3 or PC, if you connect it to a PC you're going to need Sony's Content Manager Assistant App which can be found here

next, launch the Content Manager App

in most cases, the Vita will automatically recognize what it's connected to, but if it doesn't you'll get this screen

just choose the proper system.

next you'll see a screen like this:

at the bottom there is a button that says "Backup Utility" tap it.

Next you'll come to a screen that says how much data is going to be backed up, and how much free space is on the connected device. So long as there's enough free space, tap "back up" and let the system do the rest.

this process can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have.

if you are connected to a PS3 the backed up files will appear under the "PS Vita System Application Utility" under "Game"

if connected to a PC, the files will show up in a folder named "PS Vita" in your "Documents" folder

once the back up is done, exit out of content manager and open up your settings:

next tap where it says "PlayStation Network"

then tap "System Activation"

go under both game and video/music and select "deactivate" and tap "yes"

back out to the main settings screen and go to the bottom where is says "format" and tap it

then tap "Restore the PS Vita System"

then, just tap "restore"

this will restore the Vita to factory settings and once it's done and you turn it on again, it'll be like brand new, but this time when setting up, you'll be typing in a new PSN account.

when you're ready to switch back to you're old account, all you have to do is repeat the steps above until you get to this screen again:

but this time tap "Restore"

you don't have to reset the system again because the restored data will completely overwrite whatever's on the Vita before you tap "restore" including the PSN account.

I know this seems like a lot of hassle which is why I don't suggest doing it very often. In my case I did it this once to test it and only plan on doing it once more. My brother is a HUGE Uncharted fan and wants to play Golden Abyss after I'm done with it, but wants to do it on his own account for trophies and whatnot. He's only 17 and can't afford his own Vita, and I'm not gonna deny him the fun, ya know? So this method (while not preferred) is thus far the only sure fire way of sharing your system with multiple PSN accounts.

Hope this helps!

I'm a PlayStation MVP and you can be too
Add/Follow me on: Facebook Twitter GetGlue FourSquare
Google+ and/or YouTube
Read My Blog For Game Reviews and News

Last edited by oversoul53; 02-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.
oversoul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

Nice that there's a way to do it. A very stupid, very "this is a sweaty pile of balls" way to do it, but at least it can be done.

I still don't see what was wrong with user accounts like PS3 has, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_357 View Post
I'm in the closet.
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Harry94_
Events Director

Awards Showcase THL Season 7 - Blackout   Staff - Events Director   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
Nice that there's a way to do it. A very stupid, very "this is a sweaty pile of balls" way to do it, but at least it can be done.

I still don't see what was wrong with user accounts like PS3 has, though.
They don't want you game sharing probably. Or say you shared a vita with your mum, your mum would have to buy a vita if she wanted to play on a separate account.

This way, Sony suck up more money.
Harry94_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
xTSx Kezza

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Community Gaming Event Bronze   THL Season 3 - Ghost Busters
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

get thread very useful my hubby and me both have separate accounts and one PS Vita and therefore have to share, tho really considering buying another Vita to cut out this tedious way of signing into each others accounts tried this last night, we have two memory cards and took a while to restore and what not, when all we want to be able to do is pick it up and start playing

credit to Trinkitty for the gorgeous signature
NO BLANK FRIENDS REQUESTS ACCEPTED

Trophy Hunter League / PS3 RPG Leaderboard / FGC
xTSx Kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
adin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTSx Kezza View Post
tho really considering buying another Vita to cut out this tedious way of signing into each others accounts
Looks like Sony's plan is working

dlccrew.com
adin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Wedge19

Send a message via MSN to Wedge19

Yeah, it's nice to know its possible... but reaaallly not probable. This takes FOREVER to do, as well as makes it so that you can't play EITHER system while it's backing up or restoring. For a husband and wife pair that do a lot of gaming, this option would not work.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
YenRou

Send a message via ICQ to YenRou Send a message via MSN to YenRou Send a message via Yahoo to YenRou

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Bronze Submission   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

Let's say I use this method to log in to my US account to purchase a game. Then I restore to my original account. Will I still be a able to play the game?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
CaptainKicker

Send a message via MSN to CaptainKicker

Seems like hard work for doing this. Its just one of those "live with it"-situations.

CaptainKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Wedge19

Send a message via MSN to Wedge19

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenRou View Post
Let's say I use this method to log in to my US account to purchase a game. Then I restore to my original account. Will I still be a able to play the game?
No because you have to wipe the system every time you backup and restore. Nothing stays.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Sarnath

but this way one would be able to play games from the US store even though i live in sweden. hmm, interesting.