XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > >

Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Vuule

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   10,000 Posts   Gold  Road Map Submitter   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold Submission   Guide Supplement Bronze   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Arrow Sony Vegas - Project & Render Settings (+ Basic Editing Tips)

A quick guide on how to set up your Sony Vegas project, Render Settings and some Basic Editing that you can apply.

Table of Content
  • New Project Settings
  • Basic Editing
    • Pan/Crop - Removing Black Outline
    • Optional: Disable Resample - Remove 'Ghost' Images
    • Optional: Lock to stretch - Slow/Fast motion Audio
    • Optional: Color Correction
      • 1.A) One clip only
      • 1.B) One clip only
      • 1.1) Multiple clips at once
      • 1.2) Multiple clips at once
  • Render Settings
    • .MP4 Render Settings
    • .WMV Render Settings
    • Render Loop Region Only

New Project Settings
When starting a new project for the very first time, you should first go to ‘File’ > ‘New’, which will open a new window.

Set the Template to HDV 720-30p (1280x720; 29,970 fps)

Note: Only choose this option if you record in 720p. If you record in 1080p, choose the HD 1080-60i (1920x720; 29,970 fps). If you record in 1080p and you set your project settings to 720p, the preview screen will show a somewhat blurry preview.

If you're using these settings for the first time, check the ‘Start all new projects with these settings’ box. Next time you’re starting a new project, you won’t have to press File > New first. You can simply open any video right away with these settings.

Now before hitting Ok, click the template and rename it. Click the save icon next to, to save this template. (If it mentions identical settings, press Ok.)

Basic Editing
Now, I won’t go into any detail on how to edit your video. That’s something you either have to find out through experimenting or by using tutorials. However, these are some steps you want to remember.

Pan/Crop - Removing Black Outline
When you open a video recorded with your HD PVR, you might see a few black outlines. (These outlines may vary per game/recording device.)

To get rid of these, press on the small square icon (Event Pan/Crop) at the end of your video. (If it’s not visible, zoom in on your video track with scroll.)

This will open a new Event, the Pan/Crop event. With this you can do quite some stuff, but we want to focus on getting rid of the black outlines. Before continuing, make sure both the ‘Lock Aspect Ratio’ and ‘Size About Center’ on the left are active.

Now click on one of the white squares in the corner of your video in the Even Pan/Crop window and drag it to zoom in. Zoom in until you got rid of the black outlines.

Before closing this window, as you previously did with your Template preset, select the ‘(Untitled)’ at the top and rename it. Now press the small save icon on the right. (Note: You might want to name it to the game you're currently are working on. The black outlines may vary per game and you don't want to use the same preset when the black outlines are different, since it may effect the quality.)

Next time you have to get rid of any black outlines, simply select the saved preset from the drop down menu.

Optional: Disable Resample - Remove 'Ghost' Images
The next step is to ‘Disable resample’. Right click your video on the video track, go to ‘Switches’ and activate ‘Disable resample’, which will deactivate ‘Smart Resample’.

What does this do exactly? Sometimes in fast paced games (mostly FPS games), when you’re running, turn quickly or whatever, you sometimes sort of see a ‘ghost’ image. To give an example. Move your hand in front of your eyes very quickly. Disable resample will remove/smoothen the ‘double image/ghosting’ you see.

Optional: Lock to stretch - Slow/Fast motion Audio
This is only for when you slow down (or speed up) a clip. When you slow a clip down the sound will become very distorted. To smoothen it and give it a better ‘slow effect’, right click the audio clip of the clip you slowed down and go to properties. A new window will open up. Check the ‘Lock to Stretch’ option and press Ok.

Optional: Color Correction
This is another optional step, which might give your video a better color grading/correction (depends on the game/recording device you're using). Be aware with games that are pretty dark, this might make it even harder to see what's going on. You can play with the settings if you want though, but don’t go overboard with it! Many people think bright colors look good. Well, it doesn’t. And as always, if you change it to your own personal taste, you can save the preset.

This can be done in a few different ways, depending if you want to do it for just 1 small clip, multiple clips or the entire track.

1.A) One clip only
On the left of your video preview (or somewhere else, depending on how you’ve set the layout), you can choose the Video FX’s, Media Generators etc. Go to ‘Video FX’ and in the menu that appears, select ‘Color Corrector’. Now drag and drop the ‘Studio RGB to Computer RGB’ on your video track.

This will open a new window, but you can close it. That’s it, the collor correction has been applied.

1.B) One clip only
You can also do this by pressing the ‘+’ icon (Event FX) at the end of the clip. (If it’s not visible, zoom in on your video track with the mouse scroll.)

The difference is that if you’ve already added some Effects to this clip, it will open all those Effects in 1 window. If not, a new menu will open. Choose ‘Sony Color Corrector’, press Add on the right and press ‘ok’.

The same window as before, the color corrector, will open. From the Preset drop down menu, choose ‘Studio RGB to Computer RGB’.

1.1) Multiple clips at once
If you’ve got multiple videos opened on 1 track or split the video at multiple points, you can easily apply the color corrector on the whole track instead of clip by clip. On the very left of your video track, press the green ‘+’ icon (Track FX. If it’s not visible, drag the video track options to the right.)

A new menu will open (same as with option 1.B). Choose ‘Sony Color Corrector’, press Add on the right and press ‘Ok’. The same window as before, the color corrector, will open. From the Preset drop down menu, choose ‘Studio RGB to Computer RGB’.

Be careful with this though. If you add any new video files on the same track, it will also apply these settings on those videos. If you don't want this to happen, but still need want to apply these setting on multiple clips at once, use the following method.

1.2) Multiple clips at once
This isn't as quick as method 1.1 if you have multiple clips on 1 track, but if you don't want to apply the color settings to the entire track and every video on it, you can instead use CTRL+Left Mouse and select every clip you want to apply the settings to. You can also use SHIFT+Left Mouse to select multiple clips at once. (Hold SHIFT, click on the most left track you want to select first, and click once more on the most right clip you want to select. All clips in between will be selected. This can only be done once, after which you'll need to use CTRL+Left Mouse if you want to select more clips on the track.)

Once you've got the desired clips selected, drag and drop the effect on one of the selected clips. (Same method as described in 1.A.)

Last edited by Vuule; 06-10-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Image
Vuule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Vuule

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   10,000 Posts   Gold  Road Map Submitter   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold Submission   Guide Supplement Bronze   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Member of the Month Winner

Render Settings
Once you’re done with your video, it’s time to render it all. Go to ‘File’ > ‘Render As’. A new window will open. Before naming your track, we need to choose the render (template). One of the most used options are .mp4 and .wmv. There isn’t much difference between the two, quality nor render time.

.MP4 Render Settings
Go to ‘Save As’ and select ‘Sony AVC (*.mp4;*.mt2s;*.avc)’.

For the template, select ‘Internet 1280x720-30p’.

Note: If you record in 1080p, you can set the template to 'Internet 1920x1080-30p' if you want to render the video in 1080p. You can also choose to render in 720p if you prefer to do so. Even if you've set the project settings to 1080p.

Now press custom and leave the options as is. But at the top, select Template and rename it to whatever you want and click the save icon.

Next time you’re going to render your video and you choose the above ‘Save as’, you can simply select the saved presets.

.WMV Render Settings
Go to ‘Save As’ and select ‘Windows Media Video V11 (*.wmv)’.

For the template, select ‘6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video’.

Now press custom and leave the options as is. Some people might tell you to set the ‘Vide smoothness’ to 100%. This will only add render time and won’t make any real difference. (And when uploaded to YouTube you won’t notice it all.) Now at the top, select Template and rename it to whatever you want and click the save icon.

Next time you’re going to render your video and you choose the above ‘Save as’, you can simply select the saved presets.

Render Loop Region Only
Now before hitting that Save button to render your video, make sure only the ‘Save project markers in media file’ option is checked at the bottom. Be careful with the ‘Render loop region only’ option. If you’ve activated the Loop region and select a region to loop, it will only render that part. When the loop region is blue, it's turned on. It's grey when it's off. To turn off the loop region, go back to your project and press 'Q'. If you uncheck the Render loop region only, it will never render just that part whether it's turned on or off in your project.

Now name your file and render it by pressing save.

• Check out my YouTube for Trophy Guides and More! •
• My Trophies • Sig&Ava by RED_REBEL44 •

• THL Season 7 •
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Last edited by Vuule; 11-30-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Render settings extra info.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Harry94_
Events Director

Awards Showcase Staff - Events Director   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Platinum Road Map Submitter
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)

Nice guide

My settings are different though, not sure if they should be different though . I use 32 bit full range instead of the 8-bit. Also, is there anyway to un-tick the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' and 'Disable Resample' by default?
Harry94_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Vuule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94 View Post
Nice guide

My settings are different though, not sure if they should be different though . I use 32 bit full range instead of the 8-bit. Also, is there anyway to un-tick the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' and 'Disable Resample' by default?
Not sure if that matters. Most properties are good as is and YouTube can downgrade your quality. Some people like to set everything at max what you can set to max to enhance the quality, but the quality also depends on the recorded video itself and YouTube.

Don't think there is. (There might be plug-ins for that, but I wouldn't use them. They might interfere with other plug-ins and whatnot. Unless they're from a trusted developer.) I don't bother with Maintain Aspect Ratio anymore. It doesn't work with the black outlines recorded by the HD PVR, probably because it already records in 720p and the project settings are set to 720p. Always used it with PC gameplay though, because Fraps wouldn't record in 720p resolution unless you had the proper screen resolution/game resolution.

• THL Season 7 •

Last edited by Vuule; 12-15-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
sunnygrg

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   A+ Thread Award   Guide Supplement Bronze   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 2 - Top 20 Individuals   Community Gaming Event Gold   5,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

Yes, definitely set Pixel Format to 32 bit full range. The difference as opposed to 8 bit can be seen on this post.

And, while the difference is negligible, the general consensus is that rendering in wmv format will give you a slightly better quality for youtube videos. Who knows?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Vuule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygrg View Post
Yes, definitely set Pixel Format to 32 bit full range. The difference as opposed to 8 bit can be seen on this post.

And, while the difference is negligible, the general consensus is that rendering in wmv format will give you a slightly better quality for youtube videos. Who knows?
Hmm, that's noticeable yeah. Should try it out myself.

Render all my video's in .MP4. Tried .WMV again few days ago and the quality difference wasn't noticeable (on YouTube) at all :\

• THL Season 7 •

Old 12-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
OLIVERMC97
Banned

Send a message via MSN to OLIVERMC97

Awards Showcase Battlefield 3 Squad Tournament Champion   Word of Mouth - Gold   Community Gaming Event Gold   5,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Helping Hand   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)

Nice work. Ill be sure to check this for my next vids
OLIVERMC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ll1ng5pr33 View Post
Multiple clips at once
Now, if you’ve only got 1 clip or video and haven’t use the above methods. If however, you’ve got multiple videos opened on 1 track or split the video here and there, you can easily apply the color corrector on the whole track instead of clip by clip. On the very left of your video track, press the green ‘+’ like icon (Track FX. If it’s not visible, drag the video track options to the right.)

A new menu will open (same as with option 1B) One clip only above). Choose ‘Sony Color Corrector’, press Add on the right and press ‘ok’. The same window as before, the color corrector, will open. From the Preset drop down menu, choose ‘Studio RGB to Computer RGB’. That’s it.

Holy fuck, that is going to save me so much time as I generally edit all my videos for any particular game event (be it a guide or a game night) at once in the same project and then render them all under batch render. It will also make sure I never forget anything.

mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
TeK5

Nice guide, I'm hoping by late September/October I'll have my capture card and record gameplay. I'll be sure to try these settings.
TeK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Vuule

Update 4/Nov/2013: Added some extra info. Did a bit of a clean up and had to move a part to a second post because of the 10k char limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post

Holy fuck, that is going to save me so much time as I generally edit all my videos for any particular game event (be it a guide or a game night) at once in the same project and then render them all under batch render. It will also make sure I never forget anything.

No more endlessly clicking. Still prefer to use SHIFT+Left mouse click though, since else I'll be applying the colour correction to the video intro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK5 View Post
Nice guide, I'm hoping by late September/October I'll have my capture card and record gameplay. I'll be sure to try these settings.
No problem. If you have any questions, feel free to PM/VM me or leave a reply here.

• THL Season 7 •

Last edited by Vuule; 11-04-2013 at 08:11 PM.