Is Vanquish tough? Tougher trophies than WipEout?

TheDivineFist4

I wanna play Vanquish, but I wanna know realistically how tough this tactical challenge is, exactly what does it entail and why is it so hard? The only thing I can think of is Beat Zico as a means of comparison, considering both Vanquish and WipEout have the same platinum difficulty rating of 9.5 on here and all I see are comments saying "it's impossible!". Any thoughts? I managed the WipEout platinum, so with enough skill do you think it's plausible to obtain Vanquish's platinum with practice? I also got Mirror's Edge platinum but apparently that doesn't even touch this game!

Edited by TheDivineFist4

WIPEOUT HD and VANQUISH are not the same games... How can we compare them? From my point of view, WIPEOUT is really harder than VANQUISH, but maybe it's because I'm not a great player at WIPEOUT (I'm still after two gold trophies in WIPEOUT). Good players may say the opposite.

But for 'normal' players, I think WIPEOUT is much more difficult than VANQUISH. In VANQUISH there is only one difficult challenge (the 6th one), in WIPEOUT you have at least 3 hard challenges (Zico, Zone Zeus, Elite Campaign Trophy), and if you're not used to the game you have to practice a lot.

But as I said, it depends on the player

if you want to know, I have rated VANQUISH 9/10, and WIPEOUT HD 10/10 (very hard)

Edited by olivierolivier

Thanks, I understand they're separate genres and therefore different leagues of difficulty but the fact that there is one major obstacle rather than the 3 you pointed out does help put it in perspective. Hopefully with some dedication I'll overcome whatever the game throws at me. Gonna start now =P Besides, as frustrating as trophies like these are, at least they're the most rewarding once you've achieved them. Grind trophies or blind luck trophies are way too common nowadays.

Besides, as frustrating as trophies like these are, at least they're the most rewarding once you've achieved them. Grind trophies or blind luck trophies are way too common nowadays.

I agree with you, I love that kind of trophies, a plat' in VANQUISH or WIPEOUT HD worths 20 other plat'.

When I unlocked the last one in VANQUISH, or the Zico's one, I just...danced :D That's my way to celebrate those insane trophies!

I was afraid that was the case ...

Just finished my first playthrough on hard and tested out these Challenges. I tried the first one once and got up to Wave 3 before dying;

I must admit, as tough as these will clearly become insanely hard, it's still kinda fun. Hopefully it just won't drive me too crazy before platinuming (like WipEout almost did - luckily that game is incredible enough to cope with)

I was afraid that was the case ...

Just finished my first playthrough on hard and tested out these Challenges. I tried the first one once and got up to Wave 3 before dying;

I must admit, as tough as these will clearly become insanely hard, it's still kinda fun. Hopefully it just won't drive me too crazy before platinuming (like WipEout almost did - luckily that game is incredible enough to cope with)

The challenges are really overrated IMO. Sure they're hard, but not to the point where it drives you insane.

I never played WipEout, and don't plan to anytime soon, so I can't compare the two.

I've tried a few more now...they're kinda benign :S I get that they're tough, but not nearly as intimidating as I thought based on what everyone's been saying. I've also noticed that quite a few more people have the platinum now, so...not as bad as we thought? I just did Challenges 1-5 (except 4, just working on it now) and they were difficult but managable, took like 1-3 attempts each time.

I'll hold off making an opinion until the 6th challenge but I'm pretty sure this game is not as brutal as people are making out.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely different games. I'm good at racing games I've platted all of them I've played besides GT5 & Wipeout. Those are just way to hard. My number genre is shooters and Vanquish is the hardest game to plat in that genre and I got the platinum. You can't really compare the two.

@ Salvation : Definitely worths the try, as it is a great action-packed game.

You can still compare those games when looking to some particular trophies.

"Beat Zico" and "Tactical Challenger" require both a lot of tries before succeeding.

And on that point, Vanquish is far less forgivable. Just my 2 cents.

WipEout was a walk in the park for me; then again, I do love me some racing, and the first 3rd person shooter I ever played was Uncharted.

Overall, Vanquish's trophies are real easy, WipEout is a bit harder. However, Challenge 6 makes this game much, much harder to Plat.

Wipeout is harder. Overall the trophies were just tough. I found Vanquish to be more annoying than hard. Challenge 4 was really annoying and I tried it once or twice per day until I beat it. Challenge 6 wasn't that hard because it was fair. I think I beat challenge 6 in a few tries, but I was stuck on challenge 4 for days because of that annoying wave 5.

• 3 months later...

i don't have the plat for wipeout but a friend of mine have both plats and he says that wipeout is way harder. the trophies take a lot of skill and are very time consuming. the only hard trophy in vanquish is tactical challenger. i have the vanquish plat but there is no way i could ever get the wipeout plat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know it's going to be hard to compare because Vanquish is a third-person shooter, but how does it compare to something like World at War on Veteran, or the Batman Combat Challenges?

Is Vanquish a matter of quick reflexes, dexterity, or something entirely different?

W@W was all about getting luck; able to run from one checkpoint to another in hopes that the grenades don't kill you. Vanquish is all about able to take out the enemies as efficient as possible while zooming around the arena like a racecar dodging enemy attacks.

Vanquish is much more difficult then Batman or W@W, but it is entirely doable. Much eaier to now that videos are posted everywhere for you to follow. Its not the same bullshit as NGS2 and SFIV, which in my opinion is an entirely new level of difficulty.

Does that answer your question? Not really? :p

• 5 weeks later...
Is Vanquish a matter of quick reflexes, dexterity, or something entirely different?

Yes it is a matter of those things... the combat wont stop and give you a chance to figure things out. You either pick up fast and dodge quick, or figure out what's about to hit you by dying from it and doing it again. :p

Edited by CogniVision

hi, i am regular player on wipeoutHD and i noticed everyone talk about zico trophy and not "zone zeus".

I'm on my way to get vanquish plat (111/112 pangloss statues). I'll just say that tactical challenge 6 is anoying because sometimes you are "lucky" or not( i did it just once in 15 min).

zico and zeus, u're "good" or not :)

Edited by Chesterknight