Comparison Platinums

Rizzy13

What platinums would you guys compare this game to in terms of difficulty? I just downloaded it and want to platinum it, but am thinking twice because of my backlog. I've platinumed Killzone 2 which was really tough. Spec Ops the line I've platinumed. I'm trying to think of my other platinums and whether any were hard. Thoughts people?

I agree it's not even worth comparing this game to Spec Ops, as they play very differently and Spec Ops isn't very difficult. The story isn't that bad, I finished it on hard with the no deaths trophy by using the cheap way to do it, but the challenge missions are the real tough part of this game. I finished the first one then gave up at the time on the second and haven't gotten around to going back and trying for it again. :p It would probably be better to compare this to the difficulty of a hack-and-slash as it requires a skill more similar to that than a traditional 3rd person shooter.

I agree with what ggamer said, about it being more comparable to a hack-and-slash type of game. The trophies are pretty much a cakewalk right down until you get to the final Tactical Challenge. This one challenge alone is pretty much the main culprit of why people don't have the plat. I, like many others, gave up on it after many many attempts, but it is possible if you spend a shitload of time on it and get everything done exactly to the T, which even then is still next to impossible.

• 1 month later...

Yeah you can't compare it to shooters difficulties, both KZ2 and Spec Ops can't hold a candle to challenge 6. You would need to compare it to hack and slashers like Solstice said. I'm not great a twitch hack-n-slashers but I did all 6 GOWS without any real incident but I think its closer to Bayonetta, Ninja Guiden and DMC. It took me a few days of non-stop trying and a broken controller but I did it, it just takes patience. So if I did it with my minimal hack-n-shlash experience anyone halfway decent can with perseverance.

I agree with the others here in that out of the games i've played so far it's hard to find something to compare it to..i've played many shooters but nothing quite like this, if you like the non-stop action style as seen in some of the Asian movies & feel like your up for a very difficult challenge after your done with the main story then give it a try.

Metal Gear Rising & Vanquish seem to get mentioned in the same sentence i've noticed.. although other than the obvious Platinum Games connection & of course all the robots! :) i'm not really sure why ? as they are both completely different games that only share a few other minor things in common, however when talking purely about difficulty then yes they are pretty close, i voted 9/10 for both after completing them, although i feel Vanquish requires a touch more skill to master.

Depends what your looking for, it's gonna probably take you a month to platinum give or take & of course depending on how much free time you have.

Edited by Formless11

Hmm, hard to compare. I've got some hard platinums (WipEout HD, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 2) but Vanquish is diferrent type of game. Hmm, after some time I would never give that game 10/10 difficulty but it's hard. Challenge 6 I did with only 2 hours of playing. BTW I'm very young 15 yrs old and I'm not experienced with skill-games.

• 6 months later...

Well, right now I don't have the platinum but I have other difficult platinums such as Killzone 2, Max Payne 3, World at war (my 1st platinum) and Dead Space 2 and I can only compare it to Max Payne 3 1st at all because both are 3rd person shooter games and both have "bullet time". At this moment Vanquish is easy except for challenge 6 where the difficulty escalates to a whole new level, MP3 maintain the difficulty but for me is more frustrating wasting 2-3 hours of progress instead of 30 minutes of that challenge 6 so for me MP3 is a little more difficult than Vanquish.

Well, right now I don't have the platinum but I have other difficult platinums such as Killzone 2, Max Payne 3, World at war (my 1st platinum) and Dead Space 2 and I can only compare it to Max Payne 3 1st at all because both are 3rd person shooter games and both have "bullet time". At this moment Vanquish is easy except for challenge 6 where the difficulty escalates to a whole new level, MP3 maintain the difficulty but for me is more frustrating wasting 2-3 hours of progress instead of 30 minutes of that challenge 6 so for me MP3 is a little more difficult than Vanquish.

mp3 may be more time consuming but it's not as frustrating, as nothing can really one-shot you in max payne, while in tactical challenge 6 you fight 20 minutes to reach the boogeys only that they instant kill you in 5 seconds. again and again. there's alot of luck and randomness involved

max payne is more about learning enemy spawn locations than pure skill or depending on luck, that's why for me it was easier. when you know where the enemies come from you can kill them before they even fire a single bullet

as for other games that would be super easy platinums if not for a final roadblock trophy, on top of my head;

drakengard 3 ending d (an 8 minute rythm game, if you fail a single button press you have to start from beginning)

shadow of the colossus (beating all time trials on hard, very very luck and ai depending)

basically all the batman arkham games for their combined challenges

mp3 may be more time consuming but it's not as frustrating, as nothing can really one-shot you in max payne, while in tactical challenge 6 you fight 20 minutes to reach the boogeys only that they instant kill you in 5 seconds. again and again. there's alot of luck and randomness involved

I hate when people say things like this when I know that pretty much every game by Platinum Games has like no luck involved, if you want to beat their games you just need to be decent at the game, it will not randomly screw you over unless YOU make a mistake, every death in their games is always on you, not the game and that's what makes them so fun and rewarding, it's not about getting lucky or cheesing it so when you succeed you also know that's on you, which is a good feeling.

max payne is more about learning enemy spawn locations than pure skill or depending on luck, that's why for me it was easier. when you know where the enemies come from you can kill them before they even fire a single bullet

as for other games that would be super easy platinums if not for a final roadblock trophy, on top of my head;

drakengard 3 ending d (an 8 minute rythm game, if you fail a single button press you have to start from beginning)

shadow of the colossus (beating all time trials on hard, very very luck and ai depending)

basically all the batman arkham games for their combined challenges

Well for me MP3 was a little harder because of the frustration to start over again when you messed up. Is true that nothing can kill you with one shoot in MP3 but if you already play the final part of chapter 10 if you get in last stand you have 50% of not hit your target because you can't find him in the smoke or the back part of the bus blocking your aim, not to mention that if you survive last stand you lose your bullet time bar. Yes, challenge 6 is a beast but the fact that you need to pass a entire game without dying and against the clock makes for me MP3 just a little harder than Vanquish.

P.D. Does anyone agrees if Vanquish would be easier if when you automatically trigger ARS you can cancel it with a button?:D:p:o

I hate when people say things like this when I know that pretty much every game by Platinum Games has like no luck involved, if you want to beat their games you just need to be decent at the game, it will not randomly screw you over unless YOU make a mistake, every death in their games is always on you, not the game and that's what makes them so fun and rewarding, it's not about getting lucky or cheesing it so when you succeed you also know that's on you, which is a good feeling.

when something one-shots you with off-screen projectiles it's definitely not my mistake, and vanquish and rising are full of this crap

if you can't replicate something 100% of the time then luck is involved; can you beat pretty much all the bosses in dmc, ninja gaiden or rising every time without taking damage? of course, once you master them. can you guarantee to beat tc6 or vr18 every time you try? no, because these have too many of waves of too many enemies which creates randomness

• 8 months later...
when something one-shots you with off-screen projectiles it's definitely not my mistake, and vanquish and rising are full of this crap

if you can't replicate something 100% of the time then luck is involved; can you beat pretty much all the bosses in dmc, ninja gaiden or rising every time without taking damage? of course, once you master them. can you guarantee to beat tc6 or vr18 every time you try? no, because these have too many of waves of too many enemies which creates randomness

(OFF TOPIC - Just visiting a bunch of threads I posted on but never returned to and responded to and replies I may have gotten)

The part in bold, I'm going to annoy you with a one word answer: Yes, but I have a lot of experience with those games.

The truth is, that's still nothing to do with luck, you got shot off screen? Why weren't you tracking the enemies while rolling? That's how you're supposed to fight them, constantly on the offensive and constantly moving around. Also even if you weren't looking, when you heard the audio cue for their attack why didnt you dodge it? So yes... That's on you, not luck.

The problem with today's gamers is if you don't beat something first try its "luck", if you accepted your mistakes and learnt from them I assure you you'd improve so damn fast and 100% in no time, the problem is people make it harder on themselves by not learning for their mistakes.

• 1 month later...
(OFF TOPIC - Just visiting a bunch of threads I posted on but never returned to and responded to and replies I may have gotten)

The part in bold, I'm going to annoy you with a one word answer: Yes, but I have a lot of experience with those games.

The truth is, that's still nothing to do with luck, you got shot off screen? Why weren't you tracking the enemies while rolling? That's how you're supposed to fight them, constantly on the offensive and constantly moving around. Also even if you weren't looking, when you heard the audio cue for their attack why didnt you dodge it? So yes... That's on you, not luck.

The problem with today's gamers is if you don't beat something first try its "luck", if you accepted your mistakes and learnt from them I assure you you'd improve so damn fast and 100% in no time, the problem is people make it harder on themselves by not learning for their mistakes.

Pretty much this. I did Vanquish on Xbox and just did MGR and it really is the little things that make you better.

On topic - things like Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden 2 (mentor - not master). These I'd say are comparable. Also, I looked at no posting dates before replying.

• 2 weeks later...

To this day it's still the hardest platinum I've gotten. Took me a few years to beat (coming back to it every now and then to try). No comparison to another game though I'm still waiting to try MGR. No cheap ways to beat challenge 6, pure freakin' skill. But unlike other platinums I was genuinely excited about finishing it and felt like I accomplished something huge. So that basically means I had fun while I was getting torn apart over and over and over and over haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about mp3 yet but there is no luck involved beating tact challenge 6. I just beat it and I can confirm that audio plays a big part in beating it. Every phrase of the bogeys means you have to act accordingly. You also must track them on radar all the time. So audio and minimap tracking both play a significant role. Of course mastering these 2 requires practice and skill. I don't think mp3 has been designed with such level of detail in player control. Vanquish needs 100% visual focus both on radar and the avatar, 100% focus on sound/audio and 100% focus on speed. I hardly believe mp3 requires so much focus and speed at the same time.

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/louk76.png}

Edited by louk76

• 4 months later...

I got really close last night.

I'm relatively comfortable getting through Rounds 1-4. But once Round 5 starts I start rolling and then I tend to panic. I usually have to pause the game and physically walk away for a few minutes because my heart is racing. I've been trying to get this on and off for about 3 years now.

This time I got Blue down to about half and ran out of EMP grenades and got flanked by him while taking cover from Red. They both fired off their energy missiles at the same time while I was overheating and I was done for.

I'm still going for it though.

• 2 months later...
I got really close last night.

I'm relatively comfortable getting through Rounds 1-4. But once Round 5 starts I start rolling and then I tend to panic. I usually have to pause the game and physically walk away for a few minutes because my heart is racing. I've been trying to get this on and off for about 3 years now.

This time I got Blue down to about half and ran out of EMP grenades and got flanked by him while taking cover from Red. They both fired off their energy missiles at the same time while I was overheating and I was done for.

I'm still going for it though.

Did you finally get it? It has been many years since I finished that challenge and when I did it it took about a year with some time off here and there. To this day it's my proudest gaming accomplishment and I still check this forum reading about others trying it.