Why Vanquish is THE BEST 3rd person shooter on the PS3.

Overtkill21

Ok so let me preface by saying that I bought Vanquish in April of this year (2011), played it for about 5 minutes on Hard (as the Trophy Guide suggests) and got my butt handed to me. I then proceeded to shelve the game till just a week ago.

In the meantime I went on a 3rd Person Shooter tear on my PlayStation. I played both Uncharted games, Mass Effect 2, Warhammer: Space Marine, Dead Space, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, & Just Cause 2 ---Now before you say why hadn’t I played some of those games before now, I just got my PS3 in December of 2010.

So, why is Vanquish the best 3rd person shooter on the PS3?

1. Loading Time – WOW, on Vanquish you will be playing the game, dying a lot too, but never waiting to play. Oh, you hit resume game? Better be ready because you’re being dropped into the action in seconds. Come to the end of a chapter and expecting some kind of exposition/masked loading time screens? How about endless elevator rides which are blatant loading time maskers? Well, you won’t find those in Vanquish either.

2. Tight Shooter mechanics – from the recoil, to the balancing, to the exceptional auto-targeting – everything is better than any other TPS I have played. It’s tighter, more refined, more….well Awesome! The weapons are insanely well conceived and very cool. I dare you to find a game where pulling out a different weapon is as cool. (Mass Effect 2 is close but can Shepard’s Assault Rifle turn into a sniper rifle, then a shotgun, then a rocket launcher? No? Well.)

3. Spectacular in-game graphics – Let’s face it, the days of the “cinema scene” are rapidly approaching their end. We want our game to BE the cinema scene. Vanquish is one long beautifully rendered cinema scene that you control. Cut-scenes are kept short & concise to keep you playing. Example: 1st Encounter with an ARGUS; you do see a short cut-scene but the following fight against the revealed ARGUS is SEAMLESS. You are fighting the robot in that cut-scene.

4. The rocket-slide – At first this was an unwieldy and dangerous tool in my arsenal, as likely to get me killed as it was to aid me. But after getting a handle on how it controls I realize it is the coolest addition to any TPS, EVER. Could you imagine Nathan Drake being able to rocket from cover to cover? How about Commander Shepard? (Who, by the way, would look very at home in the ARS Battle Suit)

5. Cigarettes – because a guy who wears an unproven experimental battle suit into a HUGE fight against seasoned Russian soldiers & giant robots typically doesn’t need to worry about lung cancer.

So that’s my two cents. Feel free to disagree, but if you do please cite your 3rd Person Shooter examples so I can play those games too.

• 3 weeks later...

It's indeed a great TPS...

IMHO, the game falls short only on 3 things:

- Weak story (but meh, it's a futuristic shooter so it's not THAT bad)

- Small/short single-player content

- Lack of Multi-player

I didn't plat the game since I didn't finish all the challenges... but I do have to agree that the game is superb without doubts.

I'd very much like to see a sequel or something with these game mechanics again

It was a short game, but the combat was awesome and it had really imaginative environments. More than once in my life, I've often felt I was born a few centuries too early because some TV shows and games out there have showed off some really cool futuristic possibilities. Vanquish does that quite frequently. There were also a lot of cool WTF moments and a game that gives you something to do during the end credits (and something fun at that) were both awesome too.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say VANQUISH is definitely one of the best 3rd person shooter games out there and for the reasons you said. I also like the DEAD SPACE series as well for different reasons, but yeah, VANQUISH kicks some serious ass! Having said that though, if I knew before I pre-ordered it how tough of a plat it was, I never would have bought it. I know that may seem ridiculous, but I simply don't need the level of stress and frustration it takes to plat this game in my life. I've earned some tough plats, but I've never seen anything like the 'Tactical Challenger' trophy - EVER. It's just that ridiculously difficult. Anyhow, great game but not for trophy hunters like myself. Of course, I say that but I'm going to keep bashing my head against the proverbial wall until I get it. LOL!

Just finished my first playthrough on normal.

This game gave me one of the best "First impressions" ever. It's a unique fast-action experience with an addictive gameplay. But the story was toooo short and additionally to not having a multiplayer , like uncharted did, it's hard to qualify for the best third person shooter.

Haven't played the tactical challenges yet, so my opinion may get even better.

• 2 weeks later...