Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment

Trophy Guide

Another guide has been chosen as the preferred guide for this game.

This thread has been closed and is not maintained and as a result may contain outdated or incorrect information. Please follow the link below for the preferred guide.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/LordMace/Trophy%20Guides/VHFLOJTG.jpg

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment Trophy Guide

By: LordMace

Overview:

Estimated trophy difficulty: 3/10

Offline: 12

Online: 0

Approximate time to 100%: 8-15 hours

Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1.5-2

Missable trophies: Technically 6 of them, the last two are the only ones that you won't get without trying for tho. Treasure Hunter, Quick Learner, Zero Casualties, Explorer, Wanderlust, and Combat Mastery.

Glitched trophies: None

Introduction:

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment is a Strategy RPG, it is a continuation of the Vandal Hearts series back on the PSX. This is a very fun game and anyone who likes grid-based strategy games such as Final Fantasy Tactics will like this as well. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope the success of this game brings a bigger and longer Vandal Hearts to the PS3 and maybe even the old ones to PSOne Classics. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I did.

It is a fairly short game ranging from 4-6 hours in time, this is the shortest Strategy RPG I have played but that doesn't make it a bad one. The legnth it takes you to get 100% is dependent on if you play two full playthroughs or not, personally I suggest doing so but you can very well keep a save and just replay the end as in the Roadmap's "Alternative Strategy for a 1.5 Playthroughs". If you do two full plays it will take around 10-15 hours and if you do the replaying the end route it will take you less about 8-10 hours.

The difficulty of this game in comparison to others is rather low none of the battles are that difficult you will most likely sail through the game with a fair amount of ease. The only point where you may experience difficulty is the final battle of the game since it has nothing to do with equipment or levels it is a pre-arranged battle. If you just follow one small tip you will have a much easier time in this battle, it is below in the spoiler if you wish to read it.

[spoiler=1]In this battle you can take over these elemental creatures. You take them over by making sure that your hero gets the final hit on the enemy. The key to the battle is to take over as many as you can and keep as many as you can alive. If you aim to take over as many as you can and make sure that you try to take over the mage elementals first so that you have healers and buffers you will do just fine.

Road Map:

Playthrough 1:

Early in the game you get two female characters on your team Altyria and Luce and the decisions you make with them effect the ending you get. I picked to start with Altyria but you can choose to do either her or Luce. While playing through the game like normal you have to get choices where you have two options what to say with very clear answers. Make sure your answers favor the girl you choose to get her ending.

Most of the missable trophies are near impossible to miss the only two that are really missable are the two described below "Wanderlust" and "Combat Mastery".

The other important thing you have to do during this playthrough is when you arrive at each of the levels that you unlock an optional level in, shown at the "Wanderlust" trophy, you must unlock the level and then win a battle in the option level. Then last trophy you must go for that you will not automatically get just by playing through the game is Combat Mastery, for this you will need to level up any combat skill on any character to rank 40. You should save before you go to the harbor and then to the island because it is a point of no return and do this trophy at this time but you can do it earlier. Getting it is simple just do any battle over and over with any character and any skill and increase it until it reaches 40. I used Critical for Connor because it was already very high, and I used the Dry River Bed battle because there are a lot of easy wolves so I can make Connor fight them all himself.

At the end of this playthrough you should have all the trophies in the game besides "Serenity and Fury" and one of the two character endings either "Champion of Sostegaria" or "Hero of Sostegaria". These are the two trophies you get in either the 1.5 or 2nd playthrough whichever you choose.

Alternative Strategy for a 1.5 Playthroughs:

If you make every choice in Altyria's or favor in your first playthrough, as stated in the Playthrough 1 strategy, except when you save Luce and Gren then you can do this Alternative Strategy. After you get the mission to go to the harbor and the go to island make sure you make an extra save before doing so. Now continue to the end of the game answering decisions in Altyria's favor and beat the game to get her ending.

Now go back to that extra save that you kept and from then on make all of the answers to decisions in Luce's favor and when you beat the game you will get her ending giving you the trophy for both Luce's ending and both of their endings in one playthrough and replaying the ending.

Playthrough 2:

Now to get the opposite ending you must pick the character you didn't pick last time. Then answer all of the decisions you get in the game with her answers instead so if you picked Altyria instead pick Luce or if you picked Luce instead pick Altyria. For every choice decision where you get two options make sure you favor the girl opposite your first playthrough as started above. That is all you need to do in this playthrough, once you beat Act IV you will get the trophy for the other girl's ending and the trophy for both their endings "Serenity and Fury". Then you will have 100%.

Edited by Terminator
Added a link to the stickied Guide.

Trophy Guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/01.jpg Treasure Hunter - Bronze Trophy

Find a hidden item on any battlefield.

There are many hidden items on the battlefield in Ruins of Tolby. In the "Explorer" trophy I describe many of them, there are several items to pillage in that level as well as a chest. Otherwise the wolf level where you meet the girl called Dry Riverbed is a good choice, these enemies can barely hurt you especially once you upgrade your armor. There is a treasure chest in that level all you have to do is open it and take the item to get the trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/02.jpg Quick Learner - Bronze Trophy

Raise a single skill two ranks during 1 battle.

The first trophy you will get, during the practice level while you are wailing on the targets I got this. All you have to do is increase any skill twice in the same battle a spell, a weapon, a skill, or anything else. If you didn't get this then choose something such as the sword or a spell and have one person use that repeatedly in a fight, letting that person get more kills/attacks, until they gain 2 levels. this will get you your trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/03.jpg Zero Casualties - Bronze Trophy

Win a battle with 6 surviving party members.

This is exactly as it sounds just survive a battle without a casualty, if you are struggling with this which I doubt cause it is not hard at all in the start. Just focus on defense keep your people healed up and take down the enemies one at a time. I suggest doing it on the level you meet the girl in, with all the wolves called Dry Riverbed. Once the battle is won you will get the trophy if all 6 party members are still alive.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/04.jpg Explorer - Bronze Trophy

Discover an optional battle map.

To get this you must discover your first optional map, in the mission with all of bandits and villagers not far from the start called Ruins of Tolby. You will be able to go around and find sparkly crates around the level, one of them has a crumpled up note that tells you of the location of treasure. Get this note and you got the trophy.

For more information on optional battles see the "Wanderlust" trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/05.jpg Revelations - Bronze Trophy

Finish Act I.

Storyline, you cannot miss this. You get it as you finish Chapter 1.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/06.jpg Sandworm Slayer - Bronze Trophy

Finish Act II.

Storyline, you cannot miss this. You get it as you finish Chapter 2.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/07.jpg Royal Defender - Bronze Trophy

Finish Act III.

Storyline, you cannot miss this. You get it as you finish Chapter 3.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/08.jpg Champion of Sostegaria - Silver Trophy

* Secret Trophy *

Finish Act IV with Altyria ending.

To get this trophy you must make all of the decisions you get throughout the game in favor of Altyria, then when the end of the game comes around it will be her ending.

For more information on endings see the "Serenity and Fury" trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/09.jpg Hero of Sostegaria - Silver Trophy

* Secret Trophy *

Finish Act IV with Luce ending.

To get this trophy you must make all of the decisions you get throughout the game in favor of Luce, then when the end of the game comes around it will be her ending.

For more information on endings see the "Serenity and Fury" trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/10.jpg Combat Mastery - Silver Trophy

Raise a combat skill to rank 40.

This is fairly simple although depending on how you play may take some time. The second tab in your skills tabs is "Combat Skills" you must level one of these skills up to rank 40 which is a very high amount. The best combat skills I have seen to raise that high is Critical for Connor and First Strike for Altyria.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/11.jpg Serenity and Fury - Silver Trophy

Earn both endings to the game.

To earn the Serenity and Fury trophy you must earn both the ending for Altyria and Luce. You decide which ending you get by the choices that you make, you will get questions with two different answers on several occasions while playing through the game. You must answer these questions in the fashion favoring the character than you wish to receive the ending for.

Start with whichever character you choose and answer the questions favoring them for the entire game, then start your second playthrough and this time choose the opposite character therefore choosing the opposite answers this time around.

Alternative Strategy for 1.5 Playthroughs - If you make every choice in Altyria's favor during your first playthrough except when you save Luce and Gren then you can do this. Save before going to the island lab, afterwards play to the end of the game making Altyria's choices and beat the game to get her ending. Now go back to that save that you kept and from then on make all of the answers in Luce's favor and when you beat the game you will get her ending giving you the trophy for both in one play and a lil extra.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/375/12.jpg Wanderlust - Gold Trophy

Discover every battle map.

Every map that isn't one of the optional battle maps is a story-related map. The story-related battle maps and the optional battle maps are all required to get the Wanderlust trophy, you must find the notes that unlock there locations then win a battle there. If you win a battle on all of the maps listed below you will get the trophy.

Optional Battle Maps:

1. Four Swordsmen Spring: Obtained in the Dry River Bed. It is found in a very large tree with a hole in it.

2. Ragnar's Gorge: Obtained in the Ruins of Tolby. It is found in a small crate next to the house on the hill.

3. Trivishim's Corridor: Obtained in the Dread Caves. It is found by using the other switch, not the one to leave the area but the one next to the full mine cart.

4. Keliask's Tomb: Obtained in the Ancient Ruins. It is found on a tablet that is next to a group of nearby enemies.

5. Halls of Atonement: Obtained in the Royal Courtyard. It is found on the throne where the king would sit.

6. Foreign Quarter: Obtained in the Biruni University. It is found to your immediate left as you start the level, in a barrel.

7. Avery Fields: Obtained in the Church of Restoration. It is found in the well, the well is located at the top of the hill where you get to fight the boss.

8. Gillbaris Gardens: Obtained in the Tiamon Vale. It is found on the other side of the central tree in the swamp, it is on a skeleton.

Edited by jqtaxpayer
Separated Trophy Guide from Road Map.

I'm not sure if this is happening for anyone else, but I was not able to get the trophies for Explorer and Treasure Hunter in Dry Riverbed even though I opened both the chest and got the note.

The trophy for explorer didn't pop up until I clicked on the Four Swordsmen optional map and the treasure hunter didn't pop up until I reached the chest on the Four Swordsmen map.

I know the trophy guide says you can get both on Dry Riverbed, but I couldn't get either.

I'm not sure if this is happening for anyone else, but I was not able to get the trophies for Explorer and Treasure Hunter in Dry Riverbed even though I opened both the chest and got the note.

The trophy for explorer didn't pop up until I clicked on the Four Swordsmen optional map and the treasure hunter didn't pop up until I reached the chest on the Four Swordsmen map.

I know the trophy guide says you can get both on Dry Riverbed, but I couldn't get either.

Hmmm... wierd. I got both from the Ruins of Tolby because I missed the Dry Riverbed one at first, if anyone else posts having similar problems I will change it.

The first optional stage I did was Ragnar's Gorge, so I have no idea on the Explorer trophy - but I did get the Treasure Hunter trophy during the very first Dry Riverbed battle (with the wounded girl).

Interestingly enough, I didn't get the Zero Casualties trophy when I re-played that stage afterwards, even though I had six surviving party members. I did get the trophy after completing Ragnar's Gorge for the first time, though.

You can actually get both endings in one playthrough if you save at the right time. I chose the dialog options for Altyria every time except for when you have to save Luce and Gren. Then I saved before going to the island lab. There is a dialog option during the boat ride and one before the final few battles. The first time I chose the options for Altyria and got the trophy for her ending. Then I reloaded my save before the boat trip and chose the options for Luce and got the trophy for her ending and the trophy for both endings. You still have to replay the last few battles of chapter 4 this way, but it's better than having to start over again. Hope that helps somebody save a little time.

Ok I'm having a problem with Wanderlust. I already unlocked and cleared all 8 optional maps but didn't get the trophy. Do I have to beat the game first for the trophy to unlock or did it glitch on me?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the trophy description again and it says discover every battle map not just the optional ones lol.

Edited by Varkovsky

You can actually get both endings in one playthrough if you save at the right time. I chose the dialog options for Altyria every time except for when you have to save Luce and Gren. Then I saved before going to the island lab. There is a dialog option during the boat ride and one before the final few battles. The first time I chose the options for Altyria and got the trophy for her ending. Then I reloaded my save before the boat trip and chose the options for Luce and got the trophy for her ending and the trophy for both endings. You still have to replay the last few battles of chapter 4 this way, but it's better than having to start over again. Hope that helps somebody save a little time.

I did the same thing and saved at the end of ch.3. I figured this was possible when I started the game, seeing how in the first few dialogue options no matter what you chose, you ended up doing the same thing.

Btw I'm having trouble w/Wanderlust. I'm positive I found all 8 and won battles at them all but i'll double check. Anyone else have this problem?

Btw I'm having trouble w/Wanderlust. I'm positive I found all 8 and won battles at them all but i'll double check. Anyone else have this problem?

Actually, I had the opposite 'problem'. Wanderlust unlocked for me near the end of chapter 4, without me ever having gone to Gillbaris Gardens (I did get the map location for it, but never fought a battle there). So I think the requirement is just that all the possible battle locations have to be on your world map - fighting battles in them might not be required at all.

I think the trick with saving at the end of Ch 3 to unlock both ending without need for going again trough the game should be added to the guide.

Yes, it should, I already beated the game for the first time and playing through it for the second time, if I knew this before would saved me lot of time :p

EDIT: Oh and MMOS should add the game already to their database, my trophies for this game don't appear on my card :(

Edited by Darkiem
Forgot to write something.

The description that you added to the guide for 1+ playthroughs is perfect. I finished double checking the strategy on a different account today and making those dialog choices does earn 100% without two full playthroughs. Two playthrougs wouldn't be that bad, but some people may just want to get 100% and move on to something else.

I just finished the game, and I've been selecting Altyria choices throughout the game. I have a save just before I get on the boat. Will reloading that save and selecting the Luce choice on the boat give me the Luce's ending? Still a little confused on this strategy. :confused:

Thank you for the help. :applause:

Well, I decided to just go ahead from my save just before the boat ride. What I had done was sided with Altyria for every choice until the boat ride. Then, you have the choice on which side of the boat to go on. I think it is here where your ending changes.

I just got 100%. Thank you for the tips everyone!

I just finished the game, and I've been selecting Altyria choices throughout the game. I have a save just before I get on the boat. Will reloading that save and selecting the Luce choice on the boat give me the Luce's ending? Still a little confused on this strategy. :confused:

Thank you for the help. :applause:

Same here:dance: I chosen all the top questions throughout the chapters up until the boat scene where it gives you the opinion to talk to Altyria or Luce.

So maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. The only choices that I changed were the one on the boat and the one on the last battlefield. I mentioned the part about saving Luce and Gren because I sided with Luce on that one and only had to reload my save right before the boat trip to make the alternate choices. The Luce and Gren part may not be important, but I figure the different endings have something to do with a point value associated with the choices you make. Apparently the last two choices hold a greater value than the rest.