Interviewing the Completionists!

Baqsam

What are completionists? They are trophy hunters that complete their games fully (albeit a few exceptions like when some completionists do not buy some of the DLCs). I have been thinking about making this thread for a while now and I finally got around creating it. I am really interested by how completionists approach their games and so I found the replies to be a solid read. I also aspire to be a completionist!

Please, do enjoy the read and let me know if there are any completionists that you think I should interview. Keep in mind that the interviewees were completionists the moment they were interviewed, but they might have stopped by the time you read the interviews. If you can make an appropriate banner, please do so and you will be credited.

Edited by Baqsam

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abuebao

Abuebao, a 27-year old male from Panama, is one of my personal favorites. This completionist has shown his competence in different types of games like games with hard online trophies (Far Cry 2, F.E.A.R 2, and GTA IV), fighting games (Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and Street Fighter IV), and incredibly difficult PSN games such as the infamous PAIN. Believe me, that is not all. I will mention that Abuebao has the unusual habit of inserting games into his PS3 for a 0% so he motivates himself into completing those games before buying new ones.

1) Since when have you been a trophy completionist?

During my first few months of trophy hunting I was pretty much like everyone else. I would complete games I was interested in and would leave the rest as incomplete. Over time though I began to form an appreciation for those who had perfect trophy profiles and decided I wanted to have the same thing myself. This was more than a year ago and am still pursuing my dream for a perfect trophy list to this day.

2) Were you a completionist before trophies as well?

Becoming a trophy completionist has actually been one of the most influential experiences in my life. Before trophies I was always mediocre and lazy and didn't want to work hard at achieving something great. Trophies have changed my life now and I try my best in both my personal and professional life to achieve perfection in everything that I do.

3) What is your policy regarding picking and playing games?

For the sole purpose of helping me choose the right game, I created a database that includes all the games I am interested in playing and maintain it myself with regular updates. The database includes all relevant information I need to make a good decision including:

a) Time to completion

b) Difficulty

c) Release Date

d) Whether or not the game has online trophies

e) Reviews

f) Type of game (PSN or Retail)

g) Whether or not the game has DLC trophies

With this information I use the following criteria to choose my next game:

1) Reviews - A game with excellent reviews and that I find to be appealing will always go first. This wasn't always the case, but after wasting a lot of time with crap games I have made this my first priority now.

2) Price - The second determining factor for a game is price. For games with excellent reviews I am willing to pay the full $50 dollar retail price, while less popular games must be in the $20-$30 range.

3) Release date - Games that are older are usually cheaper than newer games so I always try get these first.

4) Online trophies - A game that has online trophies will always get a higher priority on my list than purely offline games.

5) My mood - Similar to most every gamer my mood also may play a role when choosing a game. If I am in the mood for a Shooter or an RPG these will have higher priority than the rest. However, games chosen in this fashion are always screened through the first four criteria listed above.

Whether a game is Retail or PSN doesn't really matter to me to be honest. All a game needs in order to enter my wishlist is to seem fun and worthwhile.

4) I have a theory that anyone can complete any game, but the average trophy collector gives up on hard games while a completionist does not because he or she has a streak to maintain and so there is higher motivation. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree with this on both accounts. Given enough time and patience I believe any game can be completed by anyone with a genuine interest in doing so. You just have to be persistent enough to see the game through to the end.

As for my own personal motivation, I must admit that there have been a few games which I regret having ever bought and installed on my list. As you so pertinently pointed out in your question, games like these are only completed because I must maintain 100% completion on all my games. Fortunately the number of games that fall into this category have been few and I try my best to avoid this type of situation as much as possible.

5) Do you feel like being a completionist reflects other aspects of you in real life?

As I pointed out in my answer to question #2, deciding to become a trophy completionist has altered all aspects of my life. Trying my best to do everything perfectly and seeing it through to completion has become a way of life for me now.

6) Which game has really pushed your limits and is your proudest completion?

Although I have many games on my list which constantly tested the limits of my patience, in the end I would have to say that long grinding games such as FEAR 2, Far Cry 2, etc. were the games that really tested my patience the most. Enduring 100+ hours of repetitive and boring grinds really drains the life out of you.

My proudest 100%'s though do not come from long, grinding games, but rather from games that require both time and skill to complete. While I also have several of these 100% on my list, I would have to choose PAIN as my proudest 100% simply due to the sheer amount of practice and willpower I had to muster to complete that game. This will probably soon change though once I finish playing my current game: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

7) Do you avoid games that you initially think you cannot complete?

As I mentioned in my response to question #4, it is my belief that no game is impossible to complete just as long as the trophies aren't glitched and/or the online servers shutdown.

If I am avoiding a game is because I feel it is not worth my time or because it can no longer be completed. I try to always avoid thinking in terms of whether or not I can complete the game and rather try and focus on whether or not the game will add any value to my life.

8) Do you support the concept of trophy deletion so that average trophy collectors can delete their incomplete games and become completionists?

Yes, I would completely support any move made by Sony towards implementing a way to delete trophies from our list. Not so much because I am concerned about average trophy collectors becoming completionists, but rather because I find it very unfair that you should be stuck with a game on your trophy list if you didn't want it there in the first place.

9) What are your tips for those aspiring to become completionists, either from scratch or on their current accounts?

The best virtue you can cultivate to become a trophy completionist are PATIENCE and INDUSTRIOUSNESS. Working hard and being patient to see the results is the key to any type of success in life and the case is no different with trophy collecting.

10) Finally, if a friend came over and put a 1000-hour game into your console without your permission, will you complete it to maintain your streak?

I go to great lengths to avoid this from happening, but in the very improbable case that this were to happen I would have to decline. While maintaining a perfect trophy list is VERY important to me, it is not however more important than my time. I would just soberly accept the fact that things like these are out of my control and try harder to avoid a repeat.

I must point out though that simply because of one incomplete on my list I will not give up on striving for 100% completion on all my games. It will certainly be a great disappointment, but it would not deter me from pursuing my goal.

Edited by Baqsam

Liquidd1

Liquidd1, a male from Finland, has the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 platinum trophy (highest-rated difficulty for a non-musical game) and many other completed games. Enough said!

1) At some point I just noticed that completing games is fun. Before trophies, I usually did everything in games.

Pretty much.

I pick games and DLC I want. It'd be pretty silly to waste money on DLC I don't like. For instance, I don't like Uncharted 2's MP, so I didn't waste any money on DLC.

4) I have a theory that anyone can complete any game, but the average trophy collector gives up on hard games while a completionist does not because he or she has a streak to maintain and so there is higher motivation. Do you agree?

Not really. I'll plat what I can and if I don't have any interest in the game, I may not plat it. I don't know about people who are truly OCD about completion rate, but I'm not so obsessed that I would force myself to play a game I don't like.

5) Do you feel like being a completionist reflects other aspects of you in real life?

I guess so. I usually complete everything I start.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. The offline portion of the game is easy, but the online is just brutal. When I started playing this game, most people playing were veterans who have played since the first Motorstorm. The hardest thing in this game was to win 3 races in a row. It's not that easy when there are 12 other people playing to win.

No, I play games for fun and if I really want a certain game, I don't care how hard the trophies are.

8) Do you support the concept of trophy deletion so that average trophy collectors can delete their incomplete games and become completionists?

I don't know about deletion, but I would like to see an optional trophy installation. You know, for just trying a game and not installing the trophies. Deleting 0% should be possible, but for half completed game, no.

9) What are your tips for those aspiring to become completionists, either from scratch or on their current accounts?

Play the games you haven't completed, what else there is to do?

10) Finally, if a friend came over and put a 1000-hour game into your console without your permission, will you complete it to maintain your streak?

That's an interesting question, but the answer is no. There's no way I would waste my time on one platinum, there are way too many good games coming out anyway.

Edited by Baqsam

Zetberg

Zetberg, an 18-year old male from France, is a self titled 'lazy guy' that ironically has a well maintained trophy collection like the other completionists. He has an interesting variety. I met him when looking for partners to complete the hard Call of Duty: World at War DLC trophies. He had that game left and Killzone 2 to reach 100% completion and he pulled through.

From the beginning I've been interested with the idea of having a 100% trophy collection but until 2010 or so, my parents didn't allow me to buy stuff on PSN.

So yeah, since 2010.

I think so. One of the first game I've ever played was Pokémon Blue Version on the Game Boy. Catching every Pokémon was a great challenge but I didn't manage to succeed (Oh dirty Nintendo, smart to split the list on two different versions...).

Anyway, the only games I manage to trully finish 100% before the PS3 era were mostly TRPGs (Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.).

I've always bought games I wanted or was curious about and that still is my case. But the DLCs... Before 2010 (when I couldn't buy a thing on PSN), they were a really mean thing to see for me. But now, I can afford to buy them so it doesn't matter anymore. For the PSN games, having a 100% is enough for me. Furthermore I've found some awesome games on the PSN like Flower or Sam & Max.

Yes technically any game is achievable but yeah 'true' completionists will finish any game, easy or not. I am not a 'true' completionist. I know my limits and I know there are games I will never be able to finish 100%: music games for example.

Yes. I can be really determined when I want to do/have something (i.e I can be very stubborn xD).

So far, I think my proudest plat is Guitar Hero 5. It took me a year to get the plat on it and I did some crazy things while I was playing it like playing with two guitars at the same time or playing with the guitar and the mic at the same time :rofl:. So yeah, it's maybe one of the easiest music games but being a total noob at it (medium difficulty is my best xD), I'm quite proud to have finished it.

Not really. I've decided to slow the trophy hunt this year and made an other account to play casually (i.e without focusing on trophies). If I want to finish completely a game, I'll play it on my main account.

No. But my motto is 'Let people do what they want' (derivation of slammajamma's motto ;)).

• Know your limits
  • Be motivated
  • Be ok with the fact that sometimes you will have to buy DLCs to keep the 100% rate :rofl:

Yes, when I have the time and it's doable. If it's an unachievable game, then it won't be my friend anymore. :p

Edited by Baqsam

Dark_Phantom_89

Dark_Phantom_89, a 21-year old male from the United Kingdom, is a maximum clubs director and completionist with an interesting collection of platinum trophies. I am particularly fond of the FPS games that he completed and he also completed other types of games that are also difficult. In addition, he only buys DLC that he thinks he will enjoy. I also think that he is very hardworking when it comes to his staff job and extremely respectful on the forums.

I never actually started out with the intention of being a completionist, however after obtaining my 5th and 6th platinum in really difficult games (WipEout HD and Killzone 2,) I thought to myself "If I can get the platinum in those hard games, then then why not try to get it in everything else from now on as well?"

I'd say that I was. I remember fully completing almost all of my PS1 and PS2 games, especially Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy X with multiple playthroughs. I spent around 700 hours in FFX in total.

I tend to avoid PSN games without platinums for two reasons - one because they tend to be really short and I like a game that has a bit of length to it and secondly (and I'll admit this) I like seeing a nice shiny platinum trophy next to the game in my trophy collection. Sad or what? :D

Absolutely. I never gave up on Killzone 2 when Radec's troops on Elite were annihilating me and I made sure to see the 10,000 kills grind on Resistance 2 to the end just to get those shiny platinum trophies. The motivation and determination is definitely higher when you like to fully complete things that you know you can do.

Yes and no. I like to see something through to the end which I know I can do, however I know when to stop if I try my absolute best but can't do something.

I'd say it's a toss up between Killzone 2 and Mirror's Edge. Killzone 2 on Elite was one of the hardest things I've ever played and seriously tested my patience - I genuinely thought that I wouldn't be able to it. Then you've got Mirror's Edge - those speed runs and time trials were an absolute nightmare. Having to be completely flawless for around 7 minutes was just ridiculous, especially when the character just refused to jump or grab onto something when I told her to. I remember completing a majority of the time trials, scraping through on 0.00.03 under the target time.

Sort of. I prefer to play a demo first and get a feel for a game before taking the plunge and buying it. However, if I really enjoy a game but find out I can't complete it, then I'll try my absolute hardest to get as far as I can.

I think the idea of being able to delete 0% games off of your list should be implemented - you haven't even played the game, so what's the harm in getting rid of it on your trophy list? However, I don't support the idea of being able to delete games which have trophies already collected in.

Don't give up when the going gets tough and don't start a new account - it'll just ruin all of the work that you've done so far. I try to finish one game at a time and occasionally have a second to switch between. Any more than that and I risk getting a backlog.

Haha, I probably would and I'm ashamed to admit that! :o

Edited by Baqsam

eburkulosis

eburkulosis is also a bearer of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 platinum trophy. He also has some other mention worthy platinum trophies in different genres such as music and adventure. Complimenting his dedication to his games is his distinct pride in his choice to become a completionist, which you will notice in the interview.

Its a funny story, when I bought my PS3 in December of 2008 my 1st trophy supported game was Dead Space. I purposely did not pursue the trophies because I knew myself all too well and would get addicted to them...needless to say the temptation was too great and here I am...a couple of trophies away from a total 100% trophy list.

Yes, actually on the Wii before I got the PS3 I always tried to complete everything possible in a given game...and before that I played a lot of Final Fantasy titles (all of them) and I would always do everything possible in the game and reach all my characters to level 99.

I try to stay away from PSN games because for one there is no plat and secondly most of them are junk compared to retail games in my opinion. I buy all my own DLC for all my games...no account sharing or anything like that.

Oh absolutely...its what drives me. The longer this streak goes on the more pressure there will be mounting to keep it going. At the same time you do not want to just pad your list with n00b games...I have had moments of weakness, for instance I platted Up! on the heels of platting Red Faction Guerrilla and Rock Band 2 in the same day because I felt I deserved a break...I've regreted it ever since.

Yes, life is a grind...but an enjoyable one. I always think this when I'm jogging on my treadmill. It takes the same perseverance to overcome the pain for the glory at the end.

There are two games that stick out. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, which is THEE hardest plat on the PS3. Also, Rock Band 3...I don't know anyone else that has RB3 plat and I've had it for about 10 weeks now. I am not musically inclined so music games don't come so easily like they do for other 'naturals' But I take pride in all 56 of my games 100%'s. I will have Mirrors Edge 100% in a day or so...that will also be high on the list.

Not really, I'm always up for a good challenge...especially if its a good game. I have been contemplating Star Ocean because I love RPG's.

I used to until I got on the other side of the fence. It would undermine everything I have worked for. I would be very dissapointed.

Don't even try it...you can't hang with a true gamer like me!

People tell me all the time that they are gonna hack my account and put Warhawk on there...I tell them if they do i will just plat it.

Edited by Baqsam

saw3003

saw3003, a male from the United Kingdom, is a decent completionist with a nice variety of platinum trophies for games such as shooters and RPGs. That is only part of the mix. He did something different by introducing himself as a completionist, which is something I encourage all to do, since he would otherwise be hard to find due to his subtle activity on the forums.

When I first got my PS3 really, id sit there and look at the trophies I was missing and it was almost like the game was swearing at me lol, so from then on the OCD kicked in .

Yes defiantly id start a new game if I had missed something out and couldn’t go back and get it, even if it was irrelevant, I remember when I was younger a friend of mine said if I missed a toothbrush on a level id play it again, Considering I used to play Final Fantasy quite a lot I lost a lot of hours.

I research my games pretty thoroughly before actually getting them, using sites like this one and gamestop looking at reviews images ect, and a demo if I can get one. I have a few psn titles some with a platinum, but that wont sway my decision on the game if I like it ill get it, same with DLC.

Well yeah I suppose so thinking about it, some people just don’t care that a game isn’t 100% personally I wouldn’t be able to stand it, even if I had the platinum, to me it just wouldn’t look right, I would have to keep going till it was 100.

Yes defiantly, for me its all about details and completing every detail within whatever I do, from my career to mundane trivial things, I never leave anything uncompleted if I can help it.

Well proudest and pushed limits are different for me, for sheer frustration and pushing my limits to giving up id have to give that one to vanquish (challenge 6) pain in the arse literally. I have a few completions iam proud of, but id proberly give that too killzone 2 just for the sheer determination I needed to do the whole thing, but iam sure Star Ocean; the last hope will take this when I get that done.

No not at all, ive been worried a few times when playing certain games, I remember thinking this game is the one to tarnish my record lol, but there is always a way to beat the game some just take patience and a break.

No I don’t. you buy a game for the game not the trophys so enjoy it. If there was a trophy that I cant get I wouldn’t want to delete it, as I said there is always a way to get them, but just enjoy the game rather than the ping of a trophy (cant believe I just said that lol)

Umm well, id say if your gonna do it then get the online done first as the offline you can take your time with, but most importantly buy games you like not what others tell you to get if you don’t enoy the game your never do it.

That’s tough and this friend would suck if he did that. It would depend on the game to be honest and whether I would like it or not but I would not be happy, in fact I think iam gonna keep my ps3 locked away from now on ;)

Edited by Baqsam

jvella7

jvella7, a 17-year old male from the United Kingdom, is quite an interesting completionist with unique platinum trophies, like Pro Evolution Soccer. He also has harder platinum trophies in his arsenal, so hit the jump above and take a look. He also added that he is currently taking his A-levels, educational qualifications offered locally by institutions.

I have been a trophy completionist since my first ever game that was trophy compatible which was Resistance 2. I played RFOM religously online and had to get R2, ever since then the trophies just kept coming and coming.

No I wasnt to be honest, I didnt buy that many games before trophies, I just used to stick to the sports games mainly.

I dont have many PSN games because they dont represent a platinum, but I have a few still at 100%. I buy all DLC's that have trophies to ensure i have the platinum and 100%, it bugs me to see an 83% platinum for example.

Yes I do agree, average trophy collectors will give up on hard trophies because they cannot be bothered to go throguh the hard work to collect it, but I will do whatever it takes to earn that trophy, whether its designating hours and hours for one trophy or reading hints and help videos online.

No not at all, I am currently doing my A levels so I use the ps3 as a way to relax and enjoy myself.

I would say Mirrors Edge 100%, the 90 star rating in the time trials were very frustrating. But what made it worse was I had the platinum and then got the YLOD. So i had to complete the whole game again to unlock the time trials, then get the 90 stars from scratch as i had lost all my data.

Quite simple yes. I always look at the trophy list beforehand and if there is a glitched trophy then I will not pursue that game as it could scupper my 100% completion rate.

It depends, I do believe we should be able to delete games below 10% for example, but if this was to be implemented where we do have control over our trophies, I think some pranks will be played and a dream for hackers to delete other peoples trophies.

Just stick to one game at a time, and only when you have 100% move on. If you have been waiting for a new game which has just been released, complete the game youre on and by that time the price of the game you want should have come down in price.

Yes I would try everything to get that to 100%. Then after I would have a few words with my friend and maybe play a similar trick on him haha.

Edited by Baqsam

Kittrix

Kittrix, a 20-year old female from Australia, is probably the only female completionist on the forums, if not the universe in its entirety! Not only is she a completionist, she also has a terrifying collection of platinum trophies in her sack for hard games, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Street Fighter IV. There's even more to that. With a collection like that, Kittrix is definitely living proof of the fact that females can be extremely good at games.

Firstly, I got my ps3 on Christmas Day. I had no idea of trophies and when I started playing my first game which was Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, I saw a trophy appear. I didn’t have much intention on completing the list at first but after I bought a few more games the trophy huntress in me kicked in, haha. I try to work on 100% for 2-3 games at a time, it keeps me busy!

Yes, I’ve owned other consoles before the ps3 and I would try to complete anything in a game even if it wasn’t required for completing the main story. I remember in Crash Bandicoot games I would complete all the time trials to get those platinum relics, oh, they are platinum too…

I know it might sound silly but I wouldn’t want something on my list that doesn’t have that blue little icon next to its title. *blushes* I do avoid PSN games unless they have a platinum trophy. Most of the time I wouldn’t consider it and the only PSN game I have on my trophy list is Trine which does have a platinum. If I ever get curious on trying out a PSN game that I might like then I would probably make a different account to play it on.

I will buy DLC for all my games. I can further explore different aspects of the games I play with new DLC trophies.

I am cautious of games that have closed servers and I won’t risk my completion streak over it.

Definitely, I think anyone can complete a game. A completionist will go out of their way to get that platinum. ;)

Yes, in a way. If I have a passion for something then I will try to achieve the best I can in it. Besides gaming, I really like art. If I’m drawing I will make sure that I put as much detail as I can before showing someone my work. I want them to be impressed by my work and same goes for my trophy list.

I don’t mind pushing the limit. Being a gamer for most of my life I definitely wanted a challenge to test my gaming skills and I knew I would find that in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It is my proudest completion so far and I enjoyed the long journey to obtain it.

If I think it might risk my completion streak such as a trophy unobtainable due to a server permanently down or a glitched trophy that the developers decided not to patch it then I will avoid that particular game.

Maybe if it is a game that has a platinum trophy that is no longer obtainable. But no, if they have trophies already in that game I think they should at least attempt to complete it. I don’t support trophy deletion.

Perseverance is one of the main factors. I believe anyone could complete a difficult game if they put their mind to it. Practice, practice, practice! You won’t go anywhere if you give up so fast.

Well yes I would. Let’s just hope it has brilliant gameplay that would keep me awake! -_-

Edited by Baqsam

Jeankarlo

Jeankarlo, a male, is said to have the best trophy collection in the universe in terms of quantity and quality. I had to take a look myself and I became a potential believer of his status as the best. He's basically done it all. I won't spoil anything; take a look at his collection and the interview. He also mentioned that his main language is not English and so I had to make minor grammatical and conventional tweaks.

Since Uncharted patch, and I'm glad trophies come to PS3, I was jealous about XBOX achievements.

Yup, I always like get 100% in all my games since PS2 - Gamecube - N64 - etc (except SNES, usually can't save progress :().

I usually try play games I like it, but I have a couple of friends that we always coop, so sometimes I play games that I don't really want but when you are playing with friends youalways enjoy it (except glitched games :mad:).

About PSN games, I play them too, but I prefer a retail game, and about DLCs I get them when I enjoyed the game

My theory is that some players can do it easier and others not, is like a sport, a few have a natural talent but in the other side we have players that can't do it and I think that every player is good in certain games FPS, fighting, race games, etc

Yes, completionist feel is something that is in the behavior.

it depends

Skill = NGS2, SF4, SSF4, CoD WaW

Time consuming = Warhawk

Not really, I just want plat the games I started, and I started games that I like.

I think that if you dont want a game in your list you should have the option to delete it, or give you the option to install or not trophies at start.

First of all if you are going for the hard ones, have patience, remember practice make you better.

For people that just go for quantity, make a good research of trophies (glitched, difficulty, time consuming, etc).

Since I have Warhawk plat any game don't look too scary about time consuming, just hope that game is fun and have coop :D.

Edited by Baqsam

yazter

yazter was one of the first completionists I found on the website and I was impressed by his collection ever since. He has his own unique and impressive collection of 100% games. I am also very fond of his numerous guides on the forum, which are precisely worded and catered especially to satisfy the trophy hunter's comfort. He was one of the first I tried to get a hold of to share his words on this thread, but he forgot to send his completed message until now.

Pretty much since I started trophy hunting. I was broke at the time so instead of buying new games, I decided to go back and complete the ones I had. And once my list started clearing up beautifully, and having realized the potential of trophy hunting in exploring every aspect of the game as means of getting my money's worth, I've decided to keep on that approach.

Not particularly, no. I used to finish the game, and then go back to look for those hidden Easter Eggs (i.e. Resident Evil 2's Tofu playthrough). Otherwise, I wasn't exactly a completionist, especially with RPG since half-way through I'd be too powerful to bother with the game.

There are a multitude of approaches that sort of 'developed by themselves,' or, rather, 'evolved' as I began trophy hunting. First one is - avoid games with mind-numbingly long and excruciating online trophies (i.e. Resistance 2). Those are not worth the hassle. Second, and building on the first, is to look at the trophy list before deciding on a game. Chances are, people will disagree with this approach but I don't care, and nor should anyone else, because it's your money and you spend it as you see fit. Third, is, obviously, avoid PSN games because of the lack of platinums. I only have two and it's too much as it is. To me, just as a game with a platinum icon but less than 100% next to it is "incomplete," equally incomplete is a 100% WITHOUT a platinum icon next to it. So it really boils down to aesthetics. I know a lot of people who have a trend to buy easy 100%'s just to add to their 'completion rate'. To me it just looks unsightly, but hey - their account, their games, their money, none of which is any of my business.

With regards to DLC, I actually love games with many DLC trophies because these can be used to boost the trophy COUNT without buying a bunch of PSN games or filling up your list with incomplete games. In fact, it's the reason I bought Fallout 3, Borderlands, Burnout Paradise and Killzone 2, despite my lack of interest in any of them. Also, re-reaching that 100% still feels quite as rewarding as unlocking the platinum the first time. However, I usually avoid easy platinums if they include dumb DLC trophies like Dante's Inferno. I believe that DLC should be on par with the platinum's difficulty, which is why I wasn't bothered by GTA IV's DLC trophies, but was taken aback by Uncharted 2's.

Absolutely. In fact, I kind of do this from time to time; I try to install difficult platinums "by mistake," or without thinking it through, then use my completionist impulse as a motivation to bring it to 100%. Results? Killzone 2 and Wipeout HD plats, amongst others.

Yes sir! At work (and school) my written reports are often complemented for their completeness and thoroughness. Also, everything I started I will keep working on, even the useless and pointless ones, such as proficiency in snowboarding and fluency in Russian - two things I thought I'd never achieve but I now epitomise. So yes, "going all the way" (hah!) is my motto.

I'll answer your question using your 'completion' as 100% in games with DLC.'

In terms of grinding, I'd say Borderlands. The DLC was much to bare (looking at you, Moxxi!). I mean, I understand the need to add time to get your money's worth, but that's a wrong way to do it. It's like paying for a movie that shows the same scene over and over, just to add time. Seriously, no woman is worth that hassle, fictional or otherwise.

In terms of difficulty online, I'd say Uncharted 2, even though I boosted many of the trophies. Not because it was difficult, even when boosting, but because, beyond trophies, I met a lot of intelligent, like-minded individual who share a common fundamental disdain for online trophies during the boosting. These people are now some of my closest friends on PSN, so there was a "silver lining" (forgive the pun) behind this.

In terms of difficulty OFFLINE, I'd say GTA IV. Not because of the platinum, which in and by itself challenging, but because The Ballad of Gay Tony had some of the most difficult DLC trophies that I have played. But it was fun, and I didn't mind the difficulty because it was on par with the game proper.

If you mean platinum, I'd say Wipeout HD, not only because it was the most challenging, but because it wasn't *frustrating* challenging. I still play the game every once in a while too.

There isn't anything I "cannot complete" (bar games with online trophies and shutdown servers). It's not because I think I'm THAT talented of a gamer, but because I know my completionist impulse will get the best of me. Sooner or later I'll oscillate back and forth to the game until it's complete. That said, I do avoid games that require long multiplayer grinding like the Chronicles of Riddick: Assault of Dark Athena. Chances are, these MP's are dead by this point, so why bother?

No, I do not. I do support removing 0% though, and not a single percent above. There were games whose demo automatically installed the trophy list to your account (Wipeout HD, Stardust HD come to mind). Some 'accidentally' start the game, and some games are so time consuming it takes a few weeks to get the first trophy. These I support removing because you cannot remove trophies since there are none.

Why devalue the works of many who spent a fortune and countless hours maintaining their 100% streaks? Before I started trophy hunting I had already had GTA trophies installed. Do you think I wanted it there? I didn't even like the game, just the deathmatch mode in MP. What about those games that end up with some of the dumbest DLC trophies like Uncharted 2? I wouldn't have added them to my list if I knew, but I just sucked it up and went for it. I'd be more pissed now if these could've been deleted.

Plus, I don't think Sony would EVER allow this. Why? Games on trophy lists are a way of 'advertising' the game, and the more exposure it gets, the better. Plus, it's a way to ensure that people, few as they may be, will *keep* the game instead of re-selling it, just to get 100%.

First of all, be ready to spend a fortune on DLC. Being a completionist IS an expensive habit. Also make sure to know the game well before you install the trophy list; do your research or test the game on a separate account. I do both and while, again, some disagree, I do not really care because, AGAIN, it's my money and y account so I play as I see fit so long as I do not infringe on others, plus I am actually enjoying it and that's what matters. If you're gonna start a new account, make sure to avoid the games you didn't like.

As to whether or not the person should keep his account or start a new one - it really depends. I mean, I opted for the first option since at least my games were feasible and I was lucky enough to strive for completion so early on in my trophy hunting career. However, if they want ALL 100%, and a game they have has shutdown servers (assuming it has online trophies), then they might as well make a new account.

In reality? No. I'd start from scratch. Why? Because in the time I would have spent on a 1000-hour game (I assume you mean Warhawk), I could re-do ALL my plats and then some (unless Sony gives us an option to remove 0%)

Edited by Baqsam

PrinceOfPeace

PrinceOfPeace, a male, is one of the first 'elite' completionists that I discovered on the site. I never cease to get astounded by his patience and dedication to his games. He has done it all in terms of grinding and terribly difficult online trophies. Did I forget to mention that he won the first TSL? Words are not sufficient at this point. I will leave the rest for you and your click on the card.

I probably started striving to become a completionist soon after my first platinum in late 2008. It was right after I got the platinum for Resistance 2, and it was my first platinum.

Yes, I have other collections that I’ve always aspired to keep as complete as possible. This started as a child, and it has only become more diverse since becoming an adult.

I usually play games that I think I’ll really enjoy, and those happen to be first person shooters. I’ll pretty much play any game in this genre. I don’t care for games in the music genre, so I abstain from playing those types of games. If I do know that the platinum for a game can’t be achieved, I’ll avoid playing it because I know I can have just as much fun playing another game that has an achievable platinum. Other than this, it’s the only reason why I would certainly refrain from playing a game. I guess I could always go make another account just to play games like this, but that’s something I don’t really plan on doing because I already have enough to keep me busy. I’ve been fortunate enough to not have this dilemma, thankfully.

This has always been one of my own personal philosophies about collecting trophies. I believe this to be true unless someone has a severe mental or physical handicap.

Yes, if I’m going to do something, I’ll usually put forth my best effort. I try to live my life by The Golden Rule, which states, “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets”. The completionist side of me is also mirrored in another hobby of mine. This interest I’m referring to is working out, and it’s the only thing that takes precedence over gaming. It is something I’ve been very serious about for the last 10 years of my life. I’ve had many moments in which I’d compare the two in odd ways, but I’d give up gaming if I had to choose between the two.

I think the games that really push my limits are those with multiplayer trophies because that usually elevates my competitive nature, and it sometimes forces me to become better than I would have desired to initially. Some of my fondest platinum trophies are Resistance 2 and The Chronicle of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. This is because I really enjoyed playing these games online, I was at the very top of the leaderboards within these games, and I was the first person in the world to achieve these platinums according to YGC.

I’ve played pretty much everything I’ve wanted to without that being a major concern. I bought Fight Night Round 4 when it first came out, and I knew I’d probably never get the platinum before I ever put it in my PS3.

If this was something that the majority desired, I’d do my best to help support them. It’s not something that I currently have an interest in, but I can see why people would like to have this feature implemented.

My friends and I sometimes joke about digging a trophy grave. This putting more on your plate than you can handle. I’d try to avoid this by starting off slow, so that you can become more familiar with how you handle everything because there is a lot to take into account.

I’d probably attempt it if it was something that I really enjoyed. I’d just play the game a little bit at a time. If it was something that I could stand, I probably wouldn’t bother with it. I don’t think this would keep me from continuing with how I’ve been collecting trophies. I don’t see myself as being able to maintain a perfect completion record, so I’ve already accepted my collection as being incomplete. I’d just like to continue having fun playing games that I enjoy while getting the most trophies I can for each game.

Edited by Baqsam

Erincka

Erincka, a 27-year old male from France, is probably the second completionist I've discovered with more than 100 platinum trophies. What a nice share of difficult platinum trophies to go with the big number too! I also had to make minor tweaks on the grammar because he said himself that he does not write in English fluently.

I began my trophy collection on December 2008 but at the beginning I wasn't a trophy hunter I really hunt the trophy after the platinum of GTA on the middle of 2009.

I always finish my games to 100% since I play video games so yes I was a completionist before the trophy (I begin play a long time ago on Amiga 500).

Yes I avoid PSN game without platinum icon just because I don't want to see a game on my list without this icon. I take all the DLC who add trophies not the other one.

I choose my game it's true because some game can't be finish (like FIFA 09 Lord of the Rings etc) but I like do some hard game too.

Yes of course I think that show I'm nuts.

My proudest 100% is without any doubt Dark Void (the DLC is a nightmare) for the platinum I'm proud to have Street Fighter IV but it was not so hard.

I avoid game I know I can't complete like I say before. game who have server close like FIFA 09 or game with big bug like SBK X.

I'm not against trophy deletion it's a plus.

I don't really know lot of tips just be patient and avoid game impossible to complete.

My friends in real life don't play video game but if I had a game on my trophy list like Warhawk yeah I think I do it, I kill my friend but I do it.

Edited by Baqsam

VIETNAM-

VlETNAM- is another formidable jack of all trades, with an intimidating collection that I recommend you to check out before I elaborate more. Something interesting is that I actually sparred with VlETNAM- in "Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition" before finding about him being a completionist and I was impressed by how he was really good at the game on top of being a completionist.

Not sure i fit the bill as a completionist as i didn't know how to recover my first account (Vietnam1) til 2010 from YLOD. Add both my accounts together and I'm nowhere near 90%+ completion as the other gamers.

Nope, just started really completing games at 2010 after i stopped focusing on one genre (fighters).

I usually buy games I'm interested in PSN/DISC doesn't matter much from me as long as i think I'll enjoy it :).

Agreed if put in the time, anything can be achieved. Although i believe on natural talent which can speed up progress. I'm not musically inclined so i think the music genre will be extremely hard for me.

Not really, games are just pure time sinkers nowadays for me, trophies add extra fun to it.

Gundemonium RE: has me stumped. Shouldn't have quit it while back, lost the incentive to master a 20 min run. The game i completed that pushed me to the limit is GT5, fighting for milliseconds on vettel challenges were a nightmare heh.

I'd like to tackle them all but first & foremost i must want to play the game or find interest in it.

I think just keep what you have & for the accidental 0% from friends or siblings/family those get should get a pass to delete.

Hmm, i really have no say in this as people should do what they want. I have no control on how others want to spend their time.

I'll just leave it alone if i have no interest in that particular game.

Edited by Baqsam

celtic_blade

celtic_blade impressed me with the sheer amount of completed games on his stack. This guy is an example of the definition of true dedication and endurance. This statement is reinforced by his answer to the last question after this read that you will hopefully enjoy.

Since day one

Yes I am like that with everything.

I rarely buy DLC - to me completion is the platinum and no I do not avoid PSN titles without a platinum but I try to complete those to 100%. I am hesitant to play games that have multiplayer trophies - hard to rely on other people but I have played many.

Yes I agree, Mirrors Edge is a good example of this. I have several friends that did not have the patience to gain that platinum.

Of course

Probably Mirrors Edge but there are several I am proud of.

Not always but I do research them.

Never heard of that but I would not like that very much - we completionists have logged many hours trying to finish everything we play.

Try to stay with one game at a time - dont stop playing it until you finish it.

Yes, I love long games so that would not bother me a bit - the problem with most games today is that they are too short.

Edited by Baqsam

Varkovsky

Varkovsky is yet another completionist with a true "sack" of platinums, at almost 200, with a perfect completion rate. All the way from the Singapore/Jakarta area, Varkovsky's mixed achievements and impressive DLC completions qualify him to provide you with the following detailed answers.

I have been a completionist since I earned my first platinum which was Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune back in September 2008. At the time I had no idea what trophies are, I played Uncharted because it got great reviews. Needless to say, not only I fell in love with the game, I also got addicted to the “bling” sound that trophies make lol.

I have always tried to complete my games 100% even from the PS1 days. I remember trying to 100% the old Crash Bandicoot games by collecting all the gems. I also used to play a lot of JRPGs during the PS2 days and I would complete them fully as well. Nowadays I mostly don’t play JRPGs anymore because they tend to be very time consuming and full of grind.

Plus I don’t want to subject my wife to more of my gaming addiction even though she also has a few platinums of her own now.

Naturally I would prefer a retail game compared to PSN games although I wouldn’t say no to the latter if they look interesting. As you can see, I have quite a few PSN games in my collection.

As for DLCs, I have only one rule. If the trophy list for a certain game is synced into my profile, I will make sure I maintain everything at 100%. So if a game releases 5 DLCs for example and they all have trophies, you bet I will make sure that the game is back at 100%

Yes I definitely agree with this because I am one lol. I take more pride in being a completionist and not so much in being someone who has a lot of trophies. For me, what’s important is the completion rate and not the amount of trophies you have.

Definitely! I am quite the perfectionist in real life too. Some people have suspected that I suffer from a mild OCD but I do not know for sure since I have never really look into it. Certainly plausible though if you look at my completion rate.

The earliest game I can think of was Super Stardust HD. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was the first game that was given trophy support right? Anyway, I played it because everyone says it is a great game.

As most people would know, there are 2 difficult trophies for SSHD: Shock and Awe and Late Boomer. After getting all the other trophies, I decided to tackle Late Boomer first. I attempted that trophy for around 350+ times before I managed to get it. That experience really traumatized me lol and I waited one and a half year before attempting Shock and Awe.

I remember I was with my college roommate at the time and we started shortly after lunch. His job was to keep count of how many nukes I have detonated and keep me motivated. We agreed that we will not eat dinner until that trophy is earned. I think it took me around 6-7 hours to finally get it.

Other than SSHD, other games came to mind such as:

Prototype (getting platinum on all events was a bitch)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (combat challenges enough said!)

Yakuza 3 (beat all minigames trophy)

Medal of Honor: Frontline (beating hard difficulty was a nightmare)

Vanquish (it’s all about challenge 6 wave 5 lol)

Dishonored (Dunwall City Trials DLC. I hate how on expert difficulty it takes away most of your powers, which is the selling point of the game in the first place)

The most recent game is Uncharted 3. It took me 6 weeks of full time boosting until 6 am every day to get all 50 DLC trophies. I literally sat in front of the TV from the moment I wake up. Lucky for me, my wife was very understanding and she supported me throughout the 6 weeks, especially since I started boosting it right after our wedding (I got married in August 2012, which is when the DLC trophies drop lol). Definitely not something I would like to go through again for sure.

I used to not care how difficult it is but I am beginning to do that recently. One reason is because I have a wife now and I really don’t need the stress that comes with overly difficult games. One recent example if Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which I am currently playing on an alternate account.

I could probably 100% it given enough time but after playing Vanquish, I don’t want to go through anything like challenge 6 again lol.

Absolutely but only for games with 0%. If you have earn even a single trophy, you shouldn’t be able to delete it, otherwise everyone would be completionists and there is no value attached to it anymore.

It’s just like how the value of trophies have been cheapened by the rampant amount of hacking that is going on lately. This is why I use psnprofiles.com because their leaderboard is relatively free of cheaters and hackers compared to the other trophy card providers.

At the end of the day, I don’t care what people think. I enjoy playing games and earning trophies. I collect them for my own satisfaction. If you want to hack, go ahead. I know my own accomplishments and that is enough for me.

The key to be a completionist is focus. Try to play only 1 game at a time and 100% it before you move on to other games. If you play too many games, you tend to lose focus and get distracted. When you come back to the first game, you may feel lazy. This has happened to me a few times with games like Starhawk and Super Stardust HD.

Before I get married, I would have definitely answered yes to that question lol. But knowing me, I would still definitely try to 100% it. I came really close to giving up on Uncharted 3 100% due to the DLC trophies but I pushed on and finished it. So yeah, I most probably will complete a 1000 hour game, with much emphasis on most probably lol.

***I played Mass Effect to death on PC when it first came out years ago. When it was released on the PS3, I wanted to platinum it to complete my Mass Effect platinum collection. The reason it’s at 0% is because I got distracted by a bunch of DLCs and new games. Once things begin slow down a little bit, I will definitely platinum it with a vengeance, which will be soon lol.

Edited by Baqsam