Graphics- Do i stand a chance?

Hello world. So a few months ago i competed this "PST Sig Tournament" and as a result i had to make a sig in order to compete. This was the result of putting some love and passion together in a set of layers

http://i.imgur.com/V8Z107C.png

I know this nothing big to start with, but as i said i'd never touched GIMP or any other program like this?

Any tips and tricks on how to become more dedicated and successful on sig creating is welcome. The main thing with me is that i want to give life in whatever there's in my head at the time and when i end up with a crappy effort i get discouraged easily. Thank you!

Hello world. So a few months ago i competed this "PST Sig Tournament" and as a result i had to make a sig in order to compete. This was the result of putting some love and passion together in a set of layers

http://i.imgur.com/V8Z107C.png

I know this nothing big to start with, but as i said i'd never touched GIMP or any other program like this?

Any tips and tricks on how to become more dedicated and successful on sig creating is welcome. The main thing with me is that i want to give life in whatever there's in my head at the time and when i end up with a crappy effort i get discouraged easily. Thank you!

Imo that image you made is very nice. Keep going if you enjoy it!

I think a lot of the people here use photoshop for sigs, maybe invest in that and learn how to use it well? I can't go into specifics...i struggle to use Paint, let alone Photoshop :p

Imo that image you made is very nice. Keep going if you enjoy it!

I think a lot of the people here use photoshop for sigs, maybe invest in that and learn how to use it well? I can't go into specifics...i struggle to use Paint, let alone Photoshop :p

I know jack-diddly-shit-squat about GFX, but if you enjoy doing it, why discourage yourself? I'd say go for it.

I don't really give a fuck about making my signatures looking like shit you'd see from a graphics design course.

So really, just keep practising. I use Pixlr Editor, which if you Google is absolutely free and you can use it without a download.

All I can say is keep practising and you will find a style you like and you enjoy.

Look at other peoples work, ask questions and if you really want to learn head over to Devianart and looking at some sig tutorials!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys! Really appreaciate it!

I'm going to start by repeating what others already wrote: if it's something you're interested in, then it's all that matters and you should definitely keep at it! :D

Now for more specific advice based on what little experience I have (btw, I also use Gimp).

First, obviously, learn the basics. Check the various menus and tools so you know what you can do and where you access basic functionalities.

By the look of the sig you made for the tournament, you already know how layers work, that's a good thing. To complement this, you should look into layer modes, they can come in pretty handy. You might not know/see how to use them for now, but that'll come the more you practice.

Another really useful tool is the pen. I'll direct you to Noid's graphics tutorials for this one, everything you need to know is there (and the other topics are interesting too).

Then, it's just down to practice. You can check tutorials online as they'll show you how more complex things are done (as advised by AmbaLaBamba, DeviantArt is good place to search, but there are also tons of dedicated websites). You'll struggle with some of them as the most advanced ones assume the user knows Gimp well, but they're always a source for inspiration.

A good way to practice is to check the banner and avatar/signature request threads. You'll always find people there asking for creations. And there's nothing like trying to create what someone else has in mind to encourage you to try new things out.

And you already know this, but various events around here involve graphics creation. Have you checked the current SotM? You might still have time to submit something! ;)

The most important advice I can give you is to not get discouraged, and don't take negative critiques personally. Take those critiques and try to view your work from their perspective and see how you could improve it. It can take a long time to get good at something. Once you find your style, things will start to get easier as you'll be more experienced at that point and know your way around the software better.

I've been learning graphics on my own for 3 years now and I'm still learning techniques and improving(I think :p). If I were to show you my earliest work compared to some of the art I can do now it would be night and day. Another piece of advice is to just have fun with it. Creating things and showing your creativity to others is one of the best ways to express yourself.

I've never tried GIMP so I can't give you any input there, but I will say that better software won't make you a better artist.

If you ever need any graphic tips, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do to help.

The most important advice I can give you is to not get discouraged, and don't take negative critiques personally. Take those critiques and try to view your work from their perspective and see how you could improve it. It can take a long time to get good at something. Once you find your style, things will start to get easier as you'll be more experienced at that point and know your way around the software better.

Totally onboard with everything DaFazt said. No matter what, stick with it if you like it. Take baby-steps. Can even look/read some tutorials online. If they do some over them a few times it will start to stick with you, and you might be able to use it in "your own style".

Some people might say something you make looks bad, but you should take that feedback in, in a good way and turn it around.

But also gotta remember, cant satisfy everybody. Some people might like something while others hate it. So that's something you just gotta deal with at times :p

I've been learning graphics on my own for 3 years now and I'm still learning techniques and improving(I think :p). If I were to show you my earliest work compared to some of the art I can do now it would be night and day. Another piece of advice is to just have fun with it. Creating things and showing your creativity to others is one of the best ways to express yourself.

I've never tried GIMP so I can't give you any input there, but I will say that better software won't make you a better artist.

If you ever need any graphic tips, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do to help.

Yeah, I 100% agree with this, especially the part about the criticism. Always take criticism as ways to improve, rather than just being hated on.

I'm going to start by repeating what others already wrote: if it's something you're interested in, then it's all that matters and you should definitely keep at it! :D

Now for more specific advice based on what little experience I have (btw, I also use Gimp).

First, obviously, learn the basics. Check the various menus and tools so you know what you can do and where you access basic functionalities.

By the look of the sig you made for the tournament, you already know how layers work, that's a good thing. To complement this, you should look into layer modes, they can come in pretty handy. You might not know/see how to use them for now, but that'll come the more you practice.

Another really useful tool is the pen. I'll direct you to Noid's graphics tutorials for this one, everything you need to know is there (and the other topics are interesting too).

Then, it's just down to practice. You can check tutorials online as they'll show you how more complex things are done (as advised by AmbaLaBamba, DeviantArt is good place to search, but there are also tons of dedicated websites). You'll struggle with some of them as the most advanced ones assume the user knows Gimp well, but they're always a source for inspiration.

A good way to practice is to check the banner and avatar/signature request threads. You'll always find people there asking for creations. And there's nothing like trying to create what someone else has in mind to encourage you to try new things out.

And you already know this, but various events around here involve graphics creation. Have you checked the current SotM? You might still have time to submit something! ;)

Thanks! The main problem that I have with tutorials on YouTube or other sites, is that while many try to help, they'll kinda use some techniques really fast and that's where I lose the whole point. I almost forgot about Noid's section! :eek: Will run again there for some serious help.

You have got to start somewhere man, but I thought the image you posted was awesome. If you enjoy doing graphics, you should keep doing it, as you can only get better. :)

Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot. Yeah that part of criticism is a huge deal nowadays and I think that I kinda kept/keeps many people behind. Sometimes though I think there's way more imagination in my head than in the work I try to do. I need to learn that this will only get fixed with practice and motivation for more results.

Totally onboard with everything DaFazt said. No matter what, stick with it if you like it. Take baby-steps. Can even look/read some tutorials online. If they do some over them a few times it will start to stick with you, and you might be able to use it in "your own style".

Some people might say something you make looks bad, but you should take that feedback in, in a good way and turn it around.

But also gotta remember, cant satisfy everybody. Some people might like something while others hate it. So that's something you just gotta deal with at times :p

Yeah I've seen this lots of times. Some love your work, while some others hate your work, while some others love to hate your work :p The hardest thing about tutorials is text styles. They seem quite exhausting! Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I 100% agree with this, especially the part about the criticism. Always take criticism as ways to improve, rather than just being hated on.

I just hope that i'll just run in substantial criticism that will help me become better rather than watching people say..

Unless the person giving the criticism is just hating on you, in which case, they're just being a dick, so ignore them.

..."This is awful I hate it". I think that's my worst fear. But i'm going to give my 110% in everything i'll be doing from now on. Thanks guys!