Alcatraz - your impressions

alberick

So what do you think of the new zombie map? At first I was like 'I will never get used to the map' but as usual, after a few games, you know what is where.

But still I get lost in the cell block area.

IMO, it is much better than High Rise.

Also the EE is much more enjoyable (minus the 3 planes rides, they could have given us something different to do), no symbols to step on at the same time or elevators that crush you.

Also, I love the fact that they included some zombie train locations like the roof, docks and cafeteria.

Early thoughts... Alcatraz is a great map to play! Definitely the best map since moon (maybe the best map so far).

As Alberick says its quite tricky to learn at first, but as always you learn the map fast enough to know what doors to open first etc...

The map alone would have been great, but its the small improvements that really make the difference. The new HUD looks great, something as simple as having your characters name next to your points is a nice touch.

Afterlife mode works well & defo adds to the game play. In solo it kinda counts as a free quick revive every round. Although because of this i ended up being downed more often each game as I was learning the map. I'll admit my level dropped to two bones after a few games, but I'm back up to blue eyed skull after finding some sweet zombie train areas. (Hold out at bottom of the spiral staircase, do not open door unless you need to escape, zombies only spawn halfway up staircase. I got to round 24 solo using the Acid gat & Death machine & they couldn't get close.

Finally - PaP Acid Gat = Amazing!!! Best wonder weapon for ages.

And the best is: they understood that Tables Turned was a fail and dropped it.

I don't even want to talk about turned. That was the worst idea ever. They give u the best guns first and finish the sequence out with the m1911? That's just plain stupid. I do like the areas that are perfect for training as well. Me and my 3 friends held out in showers since there are 4 points of entry and lasted till round 24 when it lagged out on us and we all came back downed and in afterlife

Getting stuck? You mean you standing in a corner and getting downed?:dance::applause::p

standing in the corner is the best place for waiting for parts

and i know u were trying ur best to kite the zombie to me on purpose:think:

I've had good impressions with MotD so far. The trophies were all a bit easy, but that just means I got to enjoy the map properly faster.

Pros:

-Doesn't take forever to do things like Tranzit or Die Rise. So it's a map you can just load up and play casually.

-Blundergat is a great wonderweapon. Not blatantly OP like the Sliquifier. Not useless like the Jet Gun. + Its fun to use, and thats whats important.

-Good map layout. Open enough to move around, but also claustrophobic enough for the prison atmosphere. Its really well designed.

-Hell's Redeemer is amazingly fun

-Golden Spork

Cons:

-Arsenal on the map is pretty small. Its another map like Die Rise where there's really no reason to use the box except getting the wonder weapon.

-The EE is piss takingly easy. Not really a complaint, but it just kind of makes it dull to basically end every game by doing the EE because the map is so easy that you'd only die on your own if your team mate makes you do so.

-The Bridge. I know they don't want you to stay there. Thats why they shove brutuses(bruti) down your throat there. But the fact you can't get drops from anything but brutus as long as someone is on the bridge. Well thats just dumb.

-Afterlife. I won't complain about basically removing the coop element of a coop mode entirely. Randoms are idiots. But it kind of removed the entire point of a coop mode entirely.

All in all, I'd say its definitely the best map in BOII so far. Especially in terms of atmosphere.

Edited by AlphaCookie

Good map, easily the most enjoyable of the BLOPS 2 maps so far.

Open enough in areas for training, but still has its tight corridors and spots you can easily get trapped in like some people have mentioned. Seems a bit confusing at first but is quite easy to learn.

Golden Spoon is awesome, one hit melee kills till round 33, yes thank you :)

Blunderbuss is sweet once converted and especially after upgrade. Also noticed that if someone gets it out of the box BEFORE the skulls are hit one can still be obtained from the Warden's desk. So having two players with it is pretty cool.

Tomahawk is good fun, shame that there still isn't another tactical from the box but I can't really complain. The other new weapons are mostly decent, I don't like the AK upgraded as much as I thought I would, the massive glowing spray in front of you makes it impossible to see. Not sure if you can get a sight if you PaP it again?

Easiest Zombies trophies of all the Black Ops ones (both 1 and 2), and also the easiest and most enjoyable Easter Egg.

The worst thing that I have experienced is a total lock up of my system three times while being in afterlife. I was at round 27 last night on the bridge and after I teleported back I froze when reviving myself, so yeah, bit of a shame. I won't be playing this map much more because of that. Also still getting the sound drop out/helicopter issue which I can't believe they still have not addressed.

Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

I think not having many drops on the bridge is fair considering it's a very easy place to run.

Love the map so far.

Te new HUD and mystery box look great

I like how you can do multiple different starting strategies.

You can get jug very early.

The tommygun may not be that good but it's still awesome :D

I like how the wall weapons have several spots to buy ammo. Believe the Uzi has three spots.

The cafeteria is easy to run circles on, even for a circle jerk noob like me.

The death machine in the box is just awesome. Just what zombies needed. A 550 mag Rambo weapon :D

The blundergat is fun and the monkey bomb effect when acid pap'd has saved my life some times.

I like the bridge area. Easy to farm points with just your hell retriever/redeemer. Also fun to go there as some kind of last stand when you're bored of running in circles.

Solo is great as you can pick up all parts at once and get a maximum of three afterlifes.

Big fan of mobster movies so I like the voice actors.

I don't like the Brutus locking down machines part.

Also you can't unlock the perk machine for someone else when you already have the perk.

The spiral staircase annoys me. When I get downed and I need to get jug I die a lot there because of the rocks that make it so narrow.

You can't get the hells redeemer, spoon and spork on easy. I usually play on easy with mates because they suck ass and now we can't get a good melee weapon. Should have been a galvaknuckles on the wall on easy.

The limited space to press the button to get on the plane annoys me, just make it so you're able to get on it from anywhere around the plane.

Fire sale drops on the bridge are idiotic.

The afterlife jumps to get to the thing to unlock the wardens key are annoying and random.