Is Uncharted #1 harder than Uncharted #2? (Crushing Difficulty)

Which Uncharted game is harder on Crushing?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Which Uncharted game is harder on Crushing?

• Uncharted #1 is harder
    • They're about the same
    • Uncharted #2 is harder

I've nearly finished playing Uncharted 2 on crushing and am about to put the controller thru the screen it gets so frustrating. After I've done this I was planning to revisit Uncharted 1. I remember Uncharted #1 not having as many stealth levels and also not providing the level of cover that #2 has. Plus the forums are riddled with stuff about the dreaded chapters 4 and 9....

What're your thoughts? Should I maybe play something else for a while first and let the frustrations die down before attempting the platinum?

EDIT : Just to clarify. I have finished both games. My Uncharted 1 hard playthru was completed about 3 weeks ago to refresh the story. I immediately jumped into UC2 and am at Chapter 23 on Crushing getting right royally #$%@ed...and it's not even St Valentine's day yet! They could've at least given me flowers and chocolates!

Edited by Nobyl Chickan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncharted is a great game, not to be missed imo.

That being said the Crushing playthrough is more difficult than UC2. It's just a case of using what cover you have, some areas may take a few attempts until you work out the best plan of attack.

I'd get on it while UC2 is fresh in your mind, the story will make more sense after you play the first installment as well.

I'm not going to fully comment since I haven't played much of Crushing on either one. I know two of my buds have had frustrating moments on both games. Both, however, have said that Uncharted 1 is much more frustrating and requires more techniques.

In my opinion, Uncharted 1 was a slight bit more difficult. Some parts were harder than others. Same goes for Uncharted 2 but a couple of areas were manageable once you figured out a method of acing the level.

My recommendation: Play a casual game before touching Drakes Fortune until your frustration subsides. Or you could play it on Easy just to get an idea and feel for the chapters again. Definitely do not skip from Uncharted 2 to 1 in a whim. You will surpass your boiling point!

So far I'm finding that Uncharted 1 is a little harder as, when I get stuck, I'm stuck for a lot longer than in Uncharted 2. Another couple of differences I'm noticing when playing them "back to front"

• Grenade Aiming with target in #2 is better/easier than #1
  • Grenade Aiming from cover is awesome in #2. Can you do it in #1 or do you have to stand up each time?
  • Blind fire in #2 brings up a small crosshair whereas in #1 it's much harder to direct.
  • #2 seems to have an easier "cover and shoot" system. When you hold down L1 to pop out of cover #2 takes your crosshair to the exact same position as before whereas #1 requires realignment again. Not so good if you take 1 or 2 shots in that time!

On the flipside #1 is much easier when not using the snap in cover.

That said does anyone have any advice for me? I've been stuck in the same spot for two days now! It's the partially flooded room in Chapter 5. When you drop down there are immediately 3 guys running at you at ground level and two up on platforms. I can pick off two or three of them but am flanked by then. Any strategies for where to run, or how to tackle this?

That said does anyone have any advice for me? I've been stuck in the same spot for two days now! It's the partially flooded room in Chapter 5. When you drop down there are immediately 3 guys running at you at ground level and two up on platforms. I can pick off two or three of them but am flanked by then. Any strategies for where to run, or how to tackle this?

the infamous water level?

use the glitch!

You guys are all crazy. There's only two really difficult sections on Drake's Fortune, those being the plane wreck, and the cistern (Hell Hole), and you can get everyone to spawn into the cistern by running back outside and not dropping down, then you can take everyone out from the elevated cover position.

On UC2, which I am currently playing through on Crushing, I have experienced the same frustration level as the OP, also feeling like throwing my controller through the TV at times. Lt. Draza was a huge hurdle on the train, as well as several of the firefights, including the second big one in the Monastery where you have little cover and are being targeted by the RPG guy and the sniper while the shield guy and several others advance on you. I think my death count in this round has topped 250, and by the time I get to Lazarevic, I'm sure I'll be in the 300 range. (I'm currently on Chapter 23 and just had the last scene with Schaffer.)

I will agree, however, that the control changes they made for UC2 are definitely for the better.

You guys are all crazy.

Having earned a platinum at both games and having played Drake's Fortune after Uncharted 2 (so armed with full experience from the sequel), I still found Drake's Fortune to be a lot harder because the enemies can and will flank you more. They so rarely do that in Uncharted 2. Plus, enemies don't jump around like mad either, making it easier to take aim and go for that headshot.

Calling Draza from Uncharted 2 a huge hurdle, while this is a simple Quicktime Event... now that is crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
gosh..i'm missing crushing on the #1...

looks like i'll be in trouble.

Depends if you want to glitch. My answer of #1 being harder than #2 was based on "non cheating" playthrus. #2 has a cheat that makes it a complete cake walk. #1 has some glitches for the major hard levels which make them dead easy too.

It's a shame really as I feel it devalues my platinums a little :( To think someone could glitch and get what I got with hard work...:(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start my Crushing playthrough on UC2 so I can't really make a direct comparison just yet. However my hard playthrough on UC2 felt much easier than UC1, honestly several times I thought I was playing on normal as I recalled the difficulty of UC1's hard mode. Lets hope my hunch is right and in the long run it won't be the hell that UC1 on crushing was.

Also to chip in, IMHO the major crushing hurdle in UC1 is "Chapter 20: Race to the Rescue", the enemies are fast, they flank you and dear lord their weapons powerful- you need pin-point precision to take down the snipers and manage those flanking you. (also, the "Cistern" level is not too bad to play without the glitch, just don't forget the grenade launcher!).

Ive just got my platinum for drakes fortune. Who ever says that hard is tougher than crushing needs there head examining. It took me half day to complete it in hard and just shy of 3 for crushing. Think it might be time for a bit of a change with ff xiii, another good waste of about 100 hours of my life!! (happy days).