GOTY Version Question

I got one as part of a buy 2, get 1 free deal. Unfortunately, the game seems to be fucked. It freezes randomly during FMV's and I haven't been able to get past an early one (always freezes even if I try skipping) so the story is unbeatable. So far my disk scratch fixer doesn't seem to do the job, and it's now far too late to return it (it was the last game I got around to in the deal.)

But since it is a GOTY version, I may hang on to it. From what I gather it has all DLC up to Shade Co-op, so it's not a total loss if I can still get that. Is the DLC on the disk and thus already installed when I first popped it in? Or do I have to redeem it, like say with the included code- it's pre-owned so I doubt it hasn't already been used? If nothing else, hopefully I at least have a DLC bundle on my hands (it was cheap if not actually free so I'm not super pissed.)

Everything except for the latest patch is on the disc but I'm not 100% sure that that U3 has an actual install so there's a chance that you may have to buy the DLCs again if you get the non-GOTY Edition version :think:. The freezing problem is caused by some model PS3s being unable to read dual-layer discs so if you buy another copy, then you could well run into the same problem again.

My (Slim) PS3 seems to be fine after 1+ year of a wide variety of games. Does this problem include the graphics glitching when it occurs? Because that's what happens to mine (and I've never seen this happen before) and the freezing isn't 'hard' (I can quit out to the XMB... if it then doesn't lock up.) The disk does have some clear scratches, though not horrible (I've seen worse games play) they appear to be in the critical wrong places.

The gameplay itself seems fine, so I could probably play multiplayer in worst case scenario. So are you saying the DLC is actually accessed off the disk itself when playing? That's what I'm thinking.

Edited by stickghost

That could be a sign of it as well but if the scratches are as bad as you've described, then that would account for both problems :think:. Uncharted 2 had 2 install files, 1 for the patch/DLC and another for the Live Data that the MP downloads the first time you connect to the servers. As for the DLC, I'm going to ask a friend of mine to stop by who has the GOTY Edition since he knows this game better than I do :).

Hi, when you try to play the DLC from the GOTY version, it directs you out of the game and into the PS Store so you can buy it.

So it's definitely not free with it. So would it then be accessable with another edition, then I am not 100% sure. Might be a case of suck it and see

I am pretty sure that Naughty Dog are giving a lot of the online stuff for free anyway. Might want to check that as well

I just gave my disk another go after a second application of scratch fixer and still no go. I did check the actual game data on my hard drive and it's only in the KB's- I somehow doubt the expansions are that small. So now it's a question of whether my disk is worth holding onto.

Stupid innocuous little scratches. You never can tell if the game will still work. I actually scored a Saturn game recently that was covered in 'em, but since I beat the game twice I think it's safe to say it works (I don't apply scratch fixer unless something actually doesn't work.) It's all in the location.

EDIT: Simultaneous posting. Well shit. Although perhaps if the code still hasn't been used...

So it's definitely not free with it.

I presume you mean that it IS redeemed via code, and 'not free with it' if you just have the disk? Because otherwise ND would totally be guilty of false advertisement saying stuff is included.

As for the other bit, since you are getting this from the store itself, I would assume it's just a normal download. I mean, the GOTY version is really just a copy with a glorified free DLC coupon included. So I'd figure you'd be able to play with a vanilla U3 if you only had a valid code. I don't see why it'd be different.

But then again, ignorance does not preclude the possibility it does work that way. The game IS recognized as GOTY by the system itself... This would actually be a good question to have a definitive answer for. But as for me, I probably boned on this purchase.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi quote button instead of multi-posting.

I presume you mean that it IS redeemed via code, and 'not free with it' if you just have the disk? Because otherwise ND would totally be guilty of false advertisement saying stuff is included.

As for the other bit, since you are getting this from the store itself, I would assume it's just a normal download. I mean, the GOTY version is really just a copy with a glorified free DLC coupon included. So I'd figure you'd be able to play with a vanilla U3 if you only had a valid code. I don't see why it'd be different.

But then again, ignorance does not preclude the possibility it does work that way. The game IS recognized as GOTY by the system itself... This would actually be a good question to have a definitive answer for. But as for me, I probably boned on this purchase.

When I come to think of it, my codes expired because I had the game New and Sealed for 3 years till I actually got round to play it. That's why I had to go into the PSN store.

As for the second paragraph, in theory that should be right :)

I have the GOTY edition and all DLCs are in the disc, there is no code like the U2 GOTY fiasco. (AFAIK all codes expired by now so avoid buying U2 GOTY...)

All Map Packs are free in the PS Store (2 Flashback Map Packs + U3 Map Pack), this means that the Fort Co-op and Shade Co-op DLC packs are not.

I recommend keeping the GOTY disc so you can play the MP with the DLCs, then get a vanilla version so you can play the campaign. Make sure to get it brand new so you can use the Online Pass code, or else you won't be able to play the MP. (also, the only code the GOTY version comes with is its Online Pass)

Additionally, this game has a free-to-play version but the GOTY DLCs won't work on that version since they're in-disc, plus you'd need to buy add-ons such as the 'Play Co-op' add-on.

I should also mention that the only thing the GOTY version doesn't have are the microtransactions DLCs such as the hats, everything else can be unlocked by leveling up. (weapons, taunts, skins, etcs...)

I have the GOTY edition and all DLCs are in the disc, there is no code like the U2 GOTY fiasco. (AFAIK all codes expired by now so avoid buying U2 GOTY...)

All Map Packs are free in the PS Store (2 Flashback Map Packs + U3 Map Pack), this means that the Fort Co-op and Shade Co-op DLC packs are not.

I believe that all Uncharted 2 DLC is now free on the store too.

I recommend keeping the GOTY disc so you can play the MP with the DLCs, then get a vanilla version so you can play the campaign. Make sure to get it brand new so you can use the Online Pass code, or else you won't be able to play the MP. (also, the only code the GOTY version comes with is its Online Pass)

Well, okay THAT is something I'd rather hear. But after Dr.'s post, I wonder if the U3 GOTY codes are even still valid either at this point? EDIT: Oops- I don't need another GOTY edition, but the question would still stand for regular copies.

Edited by stickghost