Not sure why ppl try to say that U1 and U2 were so much harder?

Not sure why people keep thinking Uncharted 1 and 2 were so much harder than Uncharted 3 to finish on crushing or get the platinum.

In fact, the data says otherwise. Uncharted 3 easily has the lowest achievement rated for beating the game on Crushing and for Platinum of the three.

And all games have been out for a long time and largely the same user base playing each of them.

I found them all equal in difficulty, each had a few challenging sections on Crushing but it is revisionist history to say Drake's fortune was so much harder, esp when the stats don't back it up (in fact, they say the opposite).

U: DF was/is much harder than than 3 which was a joke. I vaguely remember 2 so it couldn't have been bad. DF has more Plat earners because it was the first game ever with a (P) trophy and it was out at a time when the ps3 library was still lacking so more people stuck with it rather than moving on. Add that to the fact that they don't have the same user base. And U3 was digital and had a popular and later on free online component means more people played it who are not inclined to beat a game twice and find all the pointless collectibles. Facts be facts, DF is the hardest (and best) Uncharted game.

U: DF was/is much harder than than 3 which was a joke. I vaguely remember 2 so it couldn't have been bad. DF has more Plat earners because it was the first game ever with a (P) trophy and it was out at a time when the ps3 library was still lacking so more people stuck with it rather than moving on. Add that to the fact that they don't have the same user base. And U3 was digital and had a popular and later on free online component means more people played it who are not inclined to beat a game twice and find all the pointless collectibles. Facts be facts, DF is the hardest (and best) Uncharted game.

Not sure I buy that.

The user base of the games, esp those that sign up for a trophy site like psnprofiles, is largely the same. And yes, while comparing any 2 games there will be subtle differences (it won't be perfect apples to apples), the differences and timing of releases isn't enough to account for the large gap in completion rate on Crushing.

as of today per psnprofiles,

Uncharted 1: 105.3 K of 446.8 k completed Crusing (23.6%)

Uncharted 2: 143.6 k of 630.1 k completed Crushing (22.8%)

Uncharted 3: 106.96 k of 630.8 completed Crushing (16.96%)

U1 1 had as many people complete Crushing as U3 despite having nearly 200 K less players whereas U2 had nearly 40 k more people achieve Crushing completion as U3 despite the same number of players. The hype that Uncharted 1 (a nice entry into the series but a pale comparison to 2 and 3 btw) is by far the toughest doesn't pan out.

Yes, the plane wreckage scene was very difficult as could the water room (made easy by picking everyone off from platform above and not jumping in) but not a whole lot else to bump up the difficulty. Uncharted 3 had similarly difficult sections in the ballroom on the ship and a couple of the sand parts.

I believe there is a lot of revisionist history/bad memory or group-think mentality going on. Each had their moments.

hmmm I think it could be 2 reasons...

Firstly Uncharted 3 was probably brought by a lot of people new to the series who mainly came from the mp and therefore were only interested in completing the story once. I say this because UC3 mp was seen as a bigger deal than UC2 mp was so I can see people buying it for that reason.

My second reason is whilst I think that UDF was the hardest overall (lots of tough shootouts and the cover system wasn't great) I think UC3 has difficulty spikes where the game can be unfairly hard. For example the beginning of chapter 19 where you have no weapons at all but six enemies shooting you, two are rushing you and one of these 2 is an armoured shoot-gunner. Theres also a guy high up who can shoot down at you and the cover breaks up if you stay still a little too long. Plus enemies take a whole clip for headshot -_-

Basically I found UDF more challenging on Crushing and UC3 more frustrating!

1 has a higher completion % because it was the original platinum. Everyone wanted to earn it. I'm actually surprised the % isn't much higher because of that. Might speak to its difficulty. Crushing in 1 might also be the reason people never bothered as much with 2, 3 or GA on Crushing.

I do think 1 was the most difficult and 3 the easiest. 1 can get dumbed down in difficulty with exploits though. Those can only get you so far. GA had the most rage-inducing sections on Crushing mostly due to broken touch controls. I think 1 was most consistent in terms of difficulty throughout. 3 you also had more tools in your arsenal (throwing back grenades would've been helpful in 1).

EDIT: Dillon in Fight for Fortune though. Screw that guy :mad:

Edited by mcolwander90

Didn't see a spot of difference in any of the 3 games. ND barely messed with the mechanics, at all. They are all basically "scale a mountain", "hide behind cover", "kill baddies", "watch an awesome cutscene", "rinse, wash, repeat". That's it. Not hard at all, a few trial and error deaths in specific areas doesn't make it on my list of what makes a game difficult.

Edited by ICPosse8

Not sure I buy that.

as of today per psnprofiles,

Uncharted 1: 105.3 K of 446.8 k completed Crusing (23.6%)

Uncharted 2: 143.6 k of 630.1 k completed Crushing (22.8%)

Uncharted 3: 106.96 k of 630.8 completed Crushing (16.96%)

Yeah but if you look more closely there are far more players almost 200k more on 2/3, safe to say if the same amount played UC1 the % completion on Crushing would be lower potentially, besides PSNP doesn't take in to account every single player, only those on PSNP itself.

Of course that's just a theory of mine.

My opinion... and I've played the three games from start to finish around 20 times total, beaten Crushing on all 3 (and Golden Abyss as well), and Crushing twice on UDF..

Uncharted DF has some rock hard spots, but there are well known exploits or tactics that help (like hiding behind the tree at the plane wreck, prematurely setting of the pirates in the water pillar room etc)... UDF is about cover, and a lot of it, rotating your weapons, blind fire. I used to use primarily 9mm weapons headshotting, and use shotguns to attack enemies advancing at me.. Rifles were more for rotational purpose, and obviously use your 1 shot weapons on the right enemy when it counts.

Uncharted 2 is easier. More weapons, more ammo. But you have to get used to the heavily armoured brutes etc late game and adapt to how to fight them. The first boss fight takes good timing, the final boss fight can be exploited.

Uncharted 3 is no harder than U2... but use the stealth mechanic to your advantage. (This is something GA also did well)... stealth eliminating an entire area of 5 or 6 is much easier than triggering a gun fight and spawning waves of enemies.. There are some frustrating moments late game though, like in the ship. Oh, and there are some good weapon bonuses if you use stealth too, and usually just when you need them.

Reading all that, I hope the remastered trilogy would have "easier-to-attain-compared-to-old-versions" trophies (not necessarily easier but not controller breaking hard). Pretty sure most of the gamers who played it last gen (and loved it) will get the game... same crowd. But to attract NEW gamers/fans into the fold, hopefully they will avoid "elitist" trophies apart from the already promised "no MP" trophies. We can keep difficulty related trophies, and hopefully not be having any of those trophies that would see us super grind - we can do without that can't we?

The success of this game will depend on sales, so if they go full-elitist and are more into creating RARE trophies than focus on making a game that will appeal to everyone - well expect bland-the-usual-only sales.

Edited by Naps

• 1 month later...

U1 crushing can be beaten in under 2hrs using the aim clip exploit. You can skip from chapter 9 to chapter 12 and chapter 17 to 20. Along with other half chapter skips and enemy despawns.

U2 crushing you can use an exploit to enable unlimited ammo, 1 shot kills and speed boost. Can comfortably beat it in 4hrs.

Exploits aside they all have their difficult portions but none of them are terribly difficult. That completion % is basically due to U1 being the first ever platform, a bunch of casual trophy hunters tried their hand at our particular brand of ocd and had their fill. Filthy casuals... Jk:D

Reading all that, I hope the remastered trilogy would have "easier-to-attain-compared-to-old-versions" trophies (not necessarily easier but not controller breaking hard). Pretty sure most of the gamers who played it last gen (and loved it) will get the game... same crowd. But to attract NEW gamers/fans into the fold, hopefully they will avoid "elitist" trophies apart from the already promised "no MP" trophies. We can keep difficulty related trophies, and hopefully not be having any of those trophies that would see us super grind - we can do without that can't we?

The success of this game will depend on sales, so if they go full-elitist and are more into creating RARE trophies than focus on making a game that will appeal to everyone - well expect bland-the-usual-only sales.

You may not like the fact that Brutal difficulty is now a thing :p Supposedly harder (see: more cheap) than Crushing. Though I'm also reading they're tweaking the bullet sponges, so who knows. They also plan on brand new trophies exclusive to the PS4. Brutal will probably get trophies and we may see trophies based on photo mode. At the very least, we're getting a slightly different list :)

• 5 months later...

U1 wasn't really that difficult. It had a couple areas with poor cover, but once you learn the spawns and triggers it is easy. A lot of spawns and be avoided by triggering checkpoints as well. Blue room was ridiculous, but once you know where the spawns are coming from it isn't hard. Final boss/chapter was the easiest of all 3 games.

U2 had the difficult boss fights, but some of the really difficult areas can be stealthed. The final boss is easy if you use the trick to keep him in melee range.

Several of the most difficult fights in U3 can be completely avoided with stealth (citadel, shipyard, and airport). The lack of a final boss was disappointing. Some difficult bosses though. The cruise ship boss is easy if you use stealth to pick up a pistole and 2 grenades for the fight. The cruise ship, shipyard, and fountain djinn room were definitely very difficult though.

I'd rank U3 a bit below U2, with U1 being the easiest.

• 3 weeks later...

Personal expeirence. This likely comes down to 'experience' too, but when I played through U1 and U2, quite close to each other, I found quite a few ofthe levels frustratingly painful. Very little ammo drops, scraping by in gun battles, long periods between checkpoints, close-quarters fighting.

I played U3 a number of years ago now and I remembered feeling really stressed and struggling a lot during the ballroom battle - so much so that I quit playing [the other factor was that I was playing the F2P version and couldn't get the MP trophies]. I've wanted to finish it for a while so yesterday I finally went back into the fray. I completed the ballrom sequence in 2 tries and made my way through the rest of the game relatively unscatched. A couple of battles in the desert required me to perfect some tactics before I could push my way through, but nothing felt unattainable. The boss battle was a joke. The boss battle in Golden Abyss was harder than U3.

I would say U3 was generally easier than the previous titles - more stealth. And my gaming experience between when I started and now has probably prepared me for the difficulty level and made it CONSIDERABLY easier.