Does anyone else have trouble with their Ps3 not reading this game?

I bought a brand new copy of Uncharted 3 few days ago.

For some reason, the game doesn't start up in my ps3.

I had previously bought a used copy of the Uncharted 3 game and I thought maybe since it's a used copy that's why my ps3 is having trouble reading the disc.

But even with the new copy of the game, the ps3 cannot read the disc and is unable to load the game when I insert it into the ps3.

All my other games work perfectly on my ps3 and it is in working condition.

I was able to play Uncharted 1 and 2 previously on the same ps3 but I don't know why the Uncharted 3 won't work.

My ps3 has 55 GB of HDD space and I have my ps3 connected to an HDMI cable.

The ps3 turns on properly and I am able to access the XMB menu, but when I insert the Uncharted 3 disc, the ps3 tries reading it, but it cannot load the game onto the screen.

All the other games load properly.

I have the latest version of the PS3 update installed onto my ps3 and my PS3 display settings are set to "automatic".

Can anyone please advise me as to what I should do or if they have experienced the same problem?

This really sucks as I was so looking forward to playing this game.:confused:

The problem has been around since game launch just google it to see how widespread it is. Try delete everything related to the game so save data/game data (there might be multiple icons in the data folder so get them all) and launch it up but this time don't accept the patch and stay offline.

The other issue might be that your ps3 blu-ray drive has problems reading dual layer discs, some games might work like you mention but they are not using those discs most likely. If you have access to Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 you can use them to test.

Edited by TheNukes

I was having a similar issue with the game not loading properly a few weeks back. I'd insert the disc and get an endless spinning ring on the bottom right corner of the screen (and whenever I tried quitting from the XMB, the system would automatically restart).

Thankfully, deleting all of the Game Data Utility folders related to this game did the trick. I then loaded up the game, re-downloaded the latest patch, and it's been running and loading smoothly ever since.

I was having a similar issue with the game not loading properly a few weeks back. I'd insert the disc and get an endless spinning ring on the bottom right corner of the screen (and whenever I tried quitting from the XMB, the system would automatically restart).

Thankfully, deleting all of the Game Data Utility folders related to this game did the trick. I then loaded up the game, re-downloaded the latest patch, and it's been running and loading smoothly ever since.

I think your issue is different since it sounds like your disc actually loads on the XMB to begin with, his disc won't show up. I assume this since he says he hasn't received pop ups for updates to the game and that would be the first thing to come up.

Some other dual layer discs include Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII. If there is a place you can rent one of these games to confirm the problem would be the best way to proceed before you attempt any repairs. If that is indeed the issue the only way you can fix it is to replace the lens thru Sony or a third party.

Edited by TheNukes

Yes it wont even start from xmb as i cant load so theres no way i have installed any updates to it. I contacted sony but havent heard back yet. Apparenly its a big problem with the game.

I updated my above post with some more dual-layer games you can test with in case you didnt catch it before your reply. If your in North America then call them, email back and forth is mostly useless and will take you forever. If your in another region there might still be a number for you to call so look into it.

Again its best if you can test it first to make sure, Sony will just run you through a couple useless tests and then tell you to send it in. Repairs are not cheap unless your still under warranty then by all means do it.

Edited by TheNukes

I updated my above post with some more dual-layer games you can test with in case you didnt catch it before your reply. If your in North America then call them, email back and forth is mostly useless and will take you forever. If your in another region there might still be a number for you to call so look into it.

Again its best if you can test it first to make sure, Sony will just run you through a couple useless tests and then tell you to send it in. Repairs are not cheap unless your still under warranty then by all means do it.

Metal gear solid worked fine for me. So dont know really.

I remember a topic about this issue on the naughty dog forums. They was trying to get to the bottom of the problem. They was asking if people in the usa would consider sending there ps3 into them for them to run some tests.

Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working | PlayStation® Community Forums

thanks i live in canad...dont think i can send it in. Sucks big time tho

.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had and continue to have this problem. I just keep ejecting and reinserting the game until it shows up. Messing with save data would have no effect on this problem, as it can happen the first time you put the game in, before there is any save data on the system.

It's definitely a problem with the game. I have a few other dual layer games and they all load just fine.

Edited by Vastet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I believe it is a firmware problem with the slim models of ps3. I have a 120gb slim pa3 & other ppl on the web r also reporting that the slim models have problems playing dual layer discs.

The same problem occured with me when i played killzone 3 & now when im trying to play blueray movies ( which r mostly dual layered).

This really sucks for us people with slim models of ps3 as sony won't do anything.

• 8 years later...