The heavy guy on the ship's deck on crushing. How?

I think I'm stuck here. Right before the red twin doors that should take me to the ballroom, I come across a armored guy with a machine gun who just won't go down. I have 150 bullets for that folding stock AK-looking rifle and 75 for pistol but even if I somehow do not die really soon, they seem to take me nowhere near killing him. The other few guys arriving do not really help either.

I tried it from the top of the container where the treasure was but it doesn't help much at the times he finds a spot he still can shoot me from and if he doesn't, he still wont go down.

Is there a trick? I don't even remember him from my easy playthrough. Does the headshots matter with him or do I just waste bullets trying to aim at his head and missing so shooting body shots would be better? Any help?

First of all. Head shots are crucial when dealing with a brute. This is because they have the least amount of armor and protection in this area. What I did was stay in the middle area, not where he spawns. Just keep running on the opposite side of the containers in the middle and dodge him. When he takes a break from shooting, try and have a pop at him. If that doesn't work hop on the very middle container (there's a treasure right at the end) You can use this protected area as good cover, as it is very difficult for the Brute to flank you.

This was easily the hardest part of Crushing. I had to go up to where the treasure was because he's faster & has a more powerful weapon. He'll follow you & kill you down there even if you retreat. There isn't anywhere to properly cover up where the treasure but when he is on your right, you can hide in the bottom right hand corner & vice-versa. I had two grenades so I tossed them both at him to reduce his health. When he's stunned, run up to where the treasure is & avoid his gunfire. When he stops to reload, aim for his head & unload all of your bullets on him. This is very important because it does the most damage. You may run out of ammunition & if you do, run down & kill one of them. To makes things easier, kill one of them when you're low on ammunition so you can run down & collect it easily. Good luck.:)

This part got me too for awhile. What I did was make sure to bring a full KAL and the handgun with you. Also you should have at least one grenade. If you don't have these, restart the chapter. After you take out the regular guys but before the brute drops down from the upper deck, go to the yellow container and hang off the side near the middle. The brute will drop down, but will not walk around the container for quite a while. This will let you accurately throw your grenade on him and empty a few clips of your handgun into him. Always go for the headshot. Then when he starts to walk around, run to the container behind you and continuously play cat and mouse running around it and the further container. Fire on him when he reloads and try to take out the regular guys in between. After the brute takes at around a full KAL (150+ shots), run up to the hidden area above between the containers and try to take cover and snipe at him when you can. Do not forgot to take out the RPG guy soon after he comes out by inching out and looking for him.

Before I entered the area I decided to keep the Mag-5 that I had picked up earlier instead of switching to the smaller pistols they have set out for you. I'm pretty sure other than that choice, I got lucky, but I took the guy out on my 2nd try. I just took cover by one of the square crates on the left and unloaded on his face. The hand cannon took his armor off pretty quickly...I may have used one grenade, but I can't recall. I spent nearly 3 hours trying to get out of the fight in the boat's ball room...nearly on the verge of quitting all together.

Like others have said, headshots are the only way to go. Given the checkpoint you're at, I'd just start with taking cover on the left side and unloading your AK. For me, he normally jumps off the railing in the center or the right side, and then walks straight towards you, which should make aiming at his head easier. Good luck!

Edited by bet_on_sebulba
spelling

Congrats. I think my problem with the ballroom was I made it to the mid-way checkpoint with 60 bullets in my AK, the Mag 5, and no gernades. If I would have grabbed the Tau sniper at the entrance, I would have had an easier time taking out the 3 snipers and gernade launcher on the balcony before dealing with all the guys that come after you. I'm on Chapt 19 now on Crushing, which will probably give me problems, but the fire demon things were pretty tough for me on Normal, so I'm not looking forward to that at all.

this part was really easy you just climb up on the crate that is closest to the place where the guys spawn from and go to the other crate that is very close to it (connected at times) and that is between a bunch of other crates that are stacked sky high. After this you simply shoot him in the head and retreat back into your little area. You'll know your in the right place because their is a treasure in this area on the crate. Hope that helps. :D

The best strategy comes from the trophy guide. Avoid the armoured guy initially. Lure him to the far side of the area. Take out the four small guys that appear on the railing. One of them has a grenade launcher. Pick this up and use it on the armoured guy. Should take 3-4 grenades. Then clean up any remaining enemies.

However, even using this strategy, this section was by far the hardest part of crushing. Took me about 30 retries. Twice, I'd managed to kill the armoured guy, then got done in by the smaller clowns.

Alternately, come prepared with heavy weapons and max grenades.

This is brutal! I am on my third day trying to take this guy down, almost thinking about giving up completely!!! I haven't tried the idea with the grenades destroying his armor on the legs and then shooting them repeatedly afterwards, I will try that this evening. If that doesn't work I will take some time off UC3 for a while.

So I finally got this ... FINALLY!!!! Actually when I finally did it, it seemed so easy, easier on crushing than on easy. Now that I am very familiar with every millimeter of this deck I can explain the final strategy that worked for me.

I think the important thing is to kill this Brute as fast as possible. In doing so you avoid the guy with the Hammer coming out and also subsequent waves of pirates from appearing. I found that jumping up onto the container and running to hide between the two containers at the end took too much time and the hammer guy always appeared, and he often took me out after I had killed the brute from there.

My solution is that as soon as the checkpoint starts stand where you are and watch where the brute will jump off the upper deck. Predict his jump and throw two grenades where he will land. This will destroy his armor around his legs. He will me momentarily stunned which gives you time to run to your right and jump up onto the side of the large yellow container. Don't jump up onto it, just hang off the side so you can shoot over the top at the brute. As soon as the brute starts shooting back then stop shooting and there is no way he can hit you hanging off the other side. As soon as the brute reloads the shoot the jiminy out of his legs. Forget the head, go for the legs. Shoot until he starts firing again and then hit him again when he reloads. It only took me two bursts to drop him.

I think this is the best solution I could implement, and believe me, over three days of trying to kill this mutha, I tried absolutely everything!!!

Now I am stuck in that damned ballroom

I was doing this for about 3hrs today, I only had 70 odd bullets in the KAL. I had no grenades either, if I would have known about this guy I would have made sure to have ammo.

Where the treasure is I went up there and he couldnt get me, if he does shoot you then press :circle: on the wall. I unloaded all my bullets on him and then had to wait until he killed him self with his own grenades and the hammer man. He somehow died but I dont know how (could have been squashed by the container).

The best strategy comes from the trophy guide. Avoid the armoured guy initially. Lure him to the far side of the area. Take out the four small guys that appear on the railing. One of them has a grenade launcher. Pick this up and use it on the armoured guy. Should take 3-4 grenades. Then clean up any remaining enemies.

However, even using this strategy, this section was by far the hardest part of crushing. Took me about 30 retries. Twice, I'd managed to kill the armoured guy, then got done in by the smaller clowns.

Alternately, come prepared with heavy weapons and max grenades.

This is what I did. The grenade launcher helped tons.

I am wondering why all of you had all this hard time at this point. I killed him the very first time on Crushing. I found this part very easy. 1) Simply went all the way back when he appeared 2) take cover behind a container 3) focused on his head 4) cleared out all the other guys when appeared 5) keep dodging his attacks by simply running around a container. Easy cheezy like that.

The part that i died the most times (not because it waw hard but because i was in a hurry and wasn't so careful) was the last gunfight in the sandstorm at chapter 19.

On Crushing difficulty I camped in the container that had the treasure. From that position I was able to take plenty of pop shots at his head and kill the other pirates running around.

Also, from that particular position, whenever the armored guard tried throwing a grenade it would often bounce off of the lower crates and explode at his feet. From there it was only a matter of time before he bit the dust.

On the lower difficulties I just kept circling around the crates and took shots at his head until he dropped.

I had some difficulty with this on normal so I remembered to save up some grenades for this on Crushing and managed to beat it the first time. If you can sneak up behind some of the other pirates and melee them from behind, they have a chance of dropping a grenade pickup.