Filling in the holes in the plot **SPOILERS**

pmm_fin

Ok, so I wasn't a big fan of the plot. It was full of holes, made no sense, recycled elements (within the game and from others) and failed to achieve that "suspension of belief" that is essential to keep one hooked.

Want to help me clear out few things I did not quite get?

[spoiler=code]

Ok, so I assume mr. Lazarevic knew all along what the Cintamani stone was all about (never mind where he learned that since he seemed very incompetent) and all about the guardians being humans and so on.

What was this reference to Hitler, Pol Pot and other dictators about that were supposed to being succesfull because of the stone fragments? Did they eat it?

Were the guardians just humans who had drunk the sap or were they some other supernatural beings? Were they insane and did the sap cause insanity?

If not, why did the Polo crew apparently kill each other in the cave? They had drunk the sap or eaten the resin and should have been hard to kill superhumans with military genius like Lazarevic at the end of the game. Or if it drove them mad, why did Lazarevic drink the sap and how did it help those aforementioned dictators who obviously did not drink it then?

I think Hitler or Pol Pot weren't blue either or had black teeth...

Also, what was Drake's revelation at the resin stone in a tree that made him suddenly know what was going on? I'm not that good with common myths...

Who had hidden the "stone", was it Marco Polo, Kublai Khan or some such? They built quite a system of huge underground machinery complexes to point someone to something they never wanted to be found... :p

These games should take place in 30's or something so it'd at least explain the never found islands and huge valleys...

Edited by pmm_fin

[spoiler=afma] Okay i think they might have eaten it or i gave them powers by having it. it could be he fed it to some soldiers, generals ect to make them strong

I think they were humans or desendants from the humans who made shambala

with the person who had hidden it must of beenm the people who made shambala

I agree with the above poster that these games are meant to stimulate your imagination. If you happen to be savvy with ancient culture and mythology you're able to get that much more out of the storyline whether it's based on true facts or fantastical scenarios. That being said, here's my take on things...

[spoiler=code]If you take a close look at the storyline between both Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves you see something in common. Both games in some way involve the supernatural and reference to Hitler/Nazis. Hitler was obsessed with the occult and the supernatural and went out of his way to learn as much as he could about it. Both the Statue of Eldorado and the Chitimanti Stone (sp?) were artifacts of supernatural power. Both possessed the power to transform humans into something unnatural. The Descendants in Drake's Fortune (the zombie creepy things) were Spaniards transformed by Eldorado. The one detail regarding that is I don't recall if the Descendants were part of Cortez' crew left behind or residents of the city who became exposed to Eldorado. I may look that up again because my curiosity is now piqued. The Guardians in Among Thieves, from what I gathered, were people of Shimbala who were either purposely or accidentally made unnatural by the Stone. The only difference though, which could be the subject of much debate, is what caused Marco Polos crew to become insane and kill each other and the Guardians given tremendous strength and ability? What is the significance of the black teeth on Polos dead crew when the Guardians did not have black teeth? Both the crew and the Guardians consumed the SAME resin did they not? Perhaps it was the manner in which the resin was consumed that determined the outcome. Used properly, the Stone could have imbuded great power but for a specific reason. In this case, to protect the City of Shimbala. If not used properly, or consumed wrong (ie; overdose or improper amount) the resin could have caused insanity. In any case, I personally feel the storylines from both games were very well thought out and exciting. I personally think that any vague ambiguity within the storyline was intentional and designed that way to draw you into it with your own ideas.

The story was bobbins', but the direction, exposition and structure of the narrative and dialog was nothing short of ground breaking. The best part of the story, for me, was how I was able to completely ignore it and blow stuff up.

I tend to restrict my story interest to novels. It's just a pity they always have rubbish game-play ;)

[spoiler=codey]Also, what was Drake's revelation at the resin stone in a tree that made him suddenly know what was going on? I'm not that good with common myths.

This is explained in the dialogue at the end of the game.

[spoiler=tmnt]Drake realized this stone was not the treasure they had been hunting for, but that the mystery was all about the Tree of Life.

Edited by Moving On
nested spoiler tags

[spoiler=]What was this reference to Hitler, Pol Pot and other dictators about that were supposed to being succesfull because of the stone fragments? Did they eat it?

They didn't eat it! Lazarevic appoints them as examples of people who had no problems of doing what needed to be done ;)

Edited by Ma83

[spoiler=code]

They didn't eat it! Lazarevic appoints them as examples of people who had no problems of doing what needed to be done ;)

But earlier it was hinted that "mere fragments" of the said "stone" were the reason behind their (initial) success. It is a good explanation though that this was bogus since the plot indicates clearly that the SS troop sent to investigate never returned with their findings...

I dont see how you determined that Laz wasnt all that smart or that he was incompetant

Well, he seemed very dependent on others to find anything for a guy who knew the actual secret all along ;)

Edited by pmm_fin

But earlier it was hinted that "mere fragments" of the said "stone" were the reason behind their (initial) success. It is a good explanation though that this was bogus since the plot indicates clearly that the SS troop sent to investigate never returned with their findings...

Well, he seemed very dependent on others to find anything for a guy who knew the actual secret all along ;)

I think you may be confusing incompetence with resourcefullness. I don't think he knew the actual secret, but was close to the mark. Employing others to do his work for him... well, they did the dirty work for him and corroborated his suspicions. He knew what he was doing and was pretty resourceful.

I added spoiler tags in my last message but the topic is clearly marked with **SPOILERS** and first posts are tagged in their entirety. How dumb must someone be to still accidentally spoil himself? ;)

As Shakespeare said, "Some are born stupid, some achieve stupidness and some have stupidness thrust upon them."

I think the story was awesome, easily one of the best in games. And I have no problem in saying I nearly cried at the end of the game :p