Disappointing Engine?

I'm not saying the game is bad, but doesn't it feel a bit disappointing when you hear this game's producers saying they've used the PS3's engine to its 100%? It kind of gave me the impression that there is not much improvements left for the future games of this system's generation (I hope I'm mistaken). What do you feel?

They might have used 100% of the PS3s power, but on their next game, they will use those 100% more effiecently, resulting in a better game from a technical standpoint. I wouldn't worry if I were you. And if Uncharted 2 really had been the best possible product on PS3, then I wouldn't feel sorry for any of us anyway.

My physics professor uses this analogy. You have a box you need to fill up with books if you just toss them in there you fit say 10 books. If you take the time to arrange them in order u might fit 20 books. Same thing here ND will make the code more efficient in the future and squeze more out!!

The longer a console is around, the more the developers are able to get out of it. Remember how they managed to push the limits of Commodore 64 year after year when there wasn't new hardware to allow more sloppy programming every year like there is in PC business?

That said, I'd be happy, play and wait for PS4 if all PS3 games looked this good but not a bit better ;)

I'm a little foggy on the details but didn't Uncharted 2 win in several E3 categories as far as Best Graphics or Best Looking Game of 2009 or something? IMO I personally feel this game deserves every award it gets. I thought Oblivion was an amazing looking game but what they created at Naughty Dog is pure art. The near photo-realism of the level design, immersive storyline and ridiculous amount of detail tells me they took what actually is possible on the Ps3 and raised the bar. I say it's about bleeping time a developer really harnessed the power of the Ps3 and made an amazing game.

I would not worry at all if I were you. Like the others said, developers (and especially naughty dog) will find new ways to reduce the amount of power they use while still keeping the same or even better quality of a game.

And to quote Pesico, "And if Uncharted 2 really had been the best possible product on PS3, then I wouldn't feel sorry for any of us anyway."

You could see even in the PS2 that games' graphics gradually got better the later they released in the PS2's era. e.g. FIFA games and their graphics, gameplay etc.

Dude. Have we played the same game? ;) To me, Uncharted 2 was one of (if not) the best looking games I've seen (defo on PS3).

As is often the case, as devs become more familiar with a system and its architecture, the look and feel of the games improve. Look at GoW or Shadow of Collosus on PS2. I am certain these could not have been made when PS2 launched.

It's not to say that the improvements stop here...

...Check out these links to articles about Insomniac and Infinity Ward's approach/thoughts.

Link -> Insomniac says PS3 won't be maxed for at least another two years

Link -> Dev: 'A Crack in Time will probably be Insomniac's last 60fps game'

Link -> Infinity Ward: "You Can Always Take A Console Further" - PS3 News

My physics professor uses this analogy. You have a box you need to fill up with books if you just toss them in there you fit say 10 books. If you take the time to arrange them in order u might fit 20 books. Same thing here ND will make the code more efficient in the future and squeze more out!!

I like that analogy - very well described :)

True, buddy. Your physics professor has got a point in there. Thanks. ;)