Reviews

Matix

Hi Guys,

Found 2 reviews from today with some great information:

UFC Personal Trainer Review (Xbox 360) | GameNTrain.com

UFC Personal Trainer Review | GamerFitNation.com

Special Note For PSMove users: Basically with the move all you’ll need is 2 move wands one for your hand and the other strapped to your leg. The game will detect the punch from the free hand automatically. I guess the same can be said for Wii users as well.

So basically move wand = motion controller ... and strap them on your hand and leg ? I think it could be a bit annoying I guess but we'll see :(

Atomic Gamer -- UFC Personal Trainer Review

Here's another review, for the xbox again.

game-boyz review

One more.

Kinect review video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0AtBrkLt0]YouTube - ‪UFC PERSONAL TRAINER FOR KINECT OFFICIAL REVIEW‬‏[/ame]

Edited by Matix

Hi Guys,

Found 2 reviews from today with some great information:

UFC Personal Trainer Review (Xbox 360) | GameNTrain.com

UFC Personal Trainer Review | GamerFitNation.com

So basically move wand = motion controller ... and strap them on your hand and leg ? I think it could be a bit annoying I guess but we'll see :(

Shit. I hoped the move wand would be optional since I have the PS Eye and can't be bothered shelling out money to buy a Move wand and haveing it strapped on whilst working out.

That's a good question...though I think that you need one move controller for one hand (punches from the other free hand should be detected automatically) and put the second move controller into the leg strap..just a theory.

Would be nice if you only need one move wand for the lag strap and have both hands free but I don't think so.

Anyway..2 more days to wait and then I'll sum up my first impressions about the game.

//edit

People are also reporting constant freezing issues while connected with xbox live (patch is coming soon). I hope that we won't have such problems.

Edited by Matix

Atomic Gamer -- UFC Personal Trainer Review

Here's another review, for the xbox again.

EDIT:game-boyz review

One more.

Also, I notice that the box art for this game shows that you need one move controller, while The Fight: lights out's box art shows two move controllers. That gives me hope for just 1 controller. What I'm thinking is that the leg strap is needed for workouts like leg lifts maybe, OR maybe they thought since most people may be wearing workout shorts (just underwear?) That a leg strap 'holster' would be nice to put the controller somewhere handy.

Edited by jackmoore

Yay it's already in stock at my local game shop, will pick it up in about one hour and report back ! Just a bummer that it costs 70€ but I think that's worth it!

//edit

My first impressions of ufc personal trainer are very positive and I think it has a lot of potential. I've trained now over 2 hours and sweated the hell out of my body.

You start with a fitness test, which is subdivided into three parts, sit ups, push ups and jumping jacks. The more you manage to get within a minute the better you're gonna be ranked in the fitness level. Anyway it doesn't really matter because you can change it afterwards to a higher level.

Basically they always tell you (depends on with how many wands you're playing) how to use them for the exercise. There are workouts/activities where you only need one motion controller that you hold in your hand (i.e. tire flip) or using two wands (i.e. hit the mitts, speed bag) or use the leg strap with one controller for push ups. I think it's pretty accurate but you can easily exploit it by only doing the movement i.e. for push ups and not doing them actually but then you would only cheat on yourself. I've also tried putting the camera on the top of the tv and on a lower position and couldn't experience any problems so far when you're doing the right movement.

I'm also very impressed from the variety of workouts/programs (30days/60days)/activities and even a multi player challenges. I'm doing now the mark dellagrotte workouts and first thing I noticed is that it's a bit irritating because when your trainer shows you a exercise you have to do it the mirrored way.

There is a player tracker with (perhaps) some useful information for long term progress, some graphs (how much calories you burned) and a workout journal. Can't really say much about it since I only played it for a few hours now.

Anyway I can't really compare it to another fitness game but I think thq did a great job overall. I'm off for another session :)

//edit

In addition to my first impressions of yesterdays session I have to say that I'm feeling today very fit, my shoulders are hurting a bit but but overall I'm full of energy can notice slight improvements. Now I only need to change my eating habits because I need way more proteins in my daily routines.

I had so far not a single freezing/lag issue as some people are still reporting issues on xbox360, even after the server side fix. I've positioned also my eye camera now slightly to the right sight onto my tv base (it's not in the middle because now I've a bit more space to the left) and all my moves are perfectly recognized. I think it depends a lot on your space in your living room but it's very easy to set it up. If you have enough room behind you then I would position it on the top side of the tv otherwise it won't count i.e. your push ups because of the range.

PS: Feel free to ask any question :)

Edited by Matix

Glad to see good reviews on this.

I was one of the programmers. I did a lot of the UI programming (Though not the brunt of it), added the leaderboard code and various other PS3 stuff.

I left about a month before it shipped, so I don't know if everything made it in. (I left during the PSN outage)

I'd like to know if the rich presence made it in. The text below the game name on the buddy list that says what level your friend is working on. That and some profile viewing by clicking names on the leaderboard. Those things were optional that I put in on my own time because no one else wanted to.

Also, I put a crapload of work into the P2 sign-in stuff. It'll actually log you into the PSN, and save to that player's save file, but BECAUSE SONY REQUIRES IT, you don't get trophies as a sub-sign-in.

And from what I know, the freezing issues are all on THQ, not the devs, for having incompetent IT people. We developed servers on our end, then gave them control when we switched over to the final build, and they didn't listen properly.

I didn't do the Twitter/Facebook integration, but that's a large part of it.

Edited by M3wThr33

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I see one (EDIT: 2 user reviews, sorry) user reviews here so far. I'm not trusting game sites anymore when it comes to these type of games. I didnt get The Fight Lights Out for months cause it got terrible reviews. It wasn't til I got on amazon and saw all the raving user reviews that I picked it up and was blown away by how good it was after getting 2's and 3's out of 10's on game sites.

I like UFC and enjoy working out, but straight fitness games havent impressed me. I am very intrigued by this one, though. I can only find videos of the Kinect version and not the PS3 and all the reviews are saying it is notably superior for Kinect than move. (I dont have a 360)

So for those that have it, how does it work and how accurate is it in terms of registering exercises? I have 4 Move controllers (I know, but I have kids), so can three be used for some exercises such as punching and kicking exercises? (one move controller in each hand as well as one in the leg strap?)

Is it cumbersome to navigate the menu's with the move at all? I also notice some excercises you can use a rubber strap or actual wieghts, but how does that work if you have a move controller in your hand?

I'm on the fence about this one, I just want honest feed back before I take the plunge or opt out (or wait til it is cheaper). Thanks in advance for those that reply.

Edited by Delta64

I'll definitely get this game it looks great . But which fighters can you train with in this game?

I think there are altogether 15 trainers and you will be doing all workouts with 3 of them, Greg Jackson (strength), mark dellagrotte (endurance) and javier mendez (weight loss/cardio). You will find the others in hit the mitts.

So for those that have it, how does it work and how accurate is it in terms of registering exercises? I have 4 Move controllers (I know, but I have kids), so can three be used for some exercises such as punching and kicking exercises? (one move controller in each hand as well as one in the leg strap?)

Is it cumbersome to navigate the menu's with the move at all? I also notice some excercises you can use a rubber strap or actual wieghts, but how does that work if you have a move controller in your hand?

Basically you can't use more than 2 move wands even though there are exercises/combos where you need to hold both motion controllers (i.e. a combo of jabs, crosses and knee drives). You will see on the knee drives a blue arrow instead of the green one which means that it will perform the knee drive automatically (you will also automatically receive the points for the move) and you actually don't need to perform the kick. It's all up to you and how serious you're gonna take the workouts. As I said in my previous posts, the motion is pretty simple you can cheat yourself through the game but then it would be better to save your money for another game. I had no problems with the recognition of all exercises so far (I'm half way through the gold exercises and some are pretty hard because of the reps) but it's not really that accurate because when you're doing i.e. bear crawls - you could just take the move wand and swing it in front of you and backwards and your trainer will say that everything is fine. The system won't tell you what you've done wrong when you simply move the controller to the direction it has to. But the trainer will always provide essentials tips while performing a workout (i.e. keep your back straight, etc). It depends a lot on your attitude and how far you wanna take it.

I've trained now almost everyday since day one and I'm still motivated to push myself to the limit and through the harder exercises. All in all I can only recommend that game if you have enough persistence.

Edited by Matix

Thanks for the reply, matix. Got another question. I have read some user reviews of the Kinect version on Amazon and many people are complaining of freezing issues and missed reps on the initial fitness test ie, doing 50 pushups and only having 29 counted. Are the missed reps that bad on the PS3?

Honestly, sounds like the Move version is tracking better than the kinect version even if you can cheat the system. I dont mind if only like 5 reps are missed, but if it is that bad, might be a bit frusterating.

Many are comparing it to a P90X workout which is a great thing, since it is about a third of the cost of a P90X set. So far, im leaning on the "getting it" side of the fence.

Edited by Delta64

I have read some user reviews of the Kinect version on Amazon and many people are complaining of freezing issues and missed reps on the initial fitness test ie, doing 50 pushups and only having 29 counted. Are the missed reps that bad on the PS3?

Nah, I haven't experienced any issues with freezing, no single lag during each rep and it also does save properly (imho much too often :)) compared to the xbox360 version. It will also count all your reps as long as you perform the move to the direction it's supposed to. You probably just need to find a good position for the eye camera.

Honestly, sounds like the Move version is tracking better than the kinect version even if you can cheat the system. I dont mind if only like 5 reps are missed, but if it is that bad, might be a bit frusterating.

It's not as accurate as on the xbox360 but therefore it won't be that frustrating. Kinect is tracking your whole body, while you only need to perform the move to the right direction with the motion controller and it doesn't matter how you do that because the system behind it seems to be very simple at least for the ps3 move.

I'd definitely pick it up for the ps3 move if I had to choose again!

It's not as accurate as on the xbox360 but therefore it won't be that frustrating. Kinect is tracking your whole body, while you only need to perform the move to the right direction with the motion controller and it doesn't matter how you do that because the system behind it seems to be very simple at least for the ps3 move.

I'd definitely pick it up for the ps3 move if I had to choose again!

Well, I meant more accurate as in it sounds as if the Move version keeps track of your reps better.

If you check out the game's facebook page, sounds like the Kinect version is having serious freezing, not saving and counting reps issues. Lots of people on there complaining about it and are frusterated with it.

I'm picking it up today, looking forward to it. While the tech side of the PS3 Move version might not be as impressive and having to hold controllers and wear a leg strap is a minor annoyance, I'll deal with it over the stability issues the XBOX version is having. I also hear you need a ton of space for the Kinect version to work properly. PS3 FTW!

(A bit off topic, it is a shame the Move doesn't seem to be all that popular and considered to be a Wii rip off. I had a Wii, but once I got the move, the Wii became obsolete.)

If you check out the game's facebook page, sounds like the Kinect version is having serious freezing, not saving and counting reps issues. Lots of people on there complaining about it and are frusterated with it.

Yep, I'm fully aware of this issue but I can happily tell you that I haven't experienced any freezing/saving problems since first day and I'm almost through my first 30 days program without any missed/unsaved exercises :)

I'm picking it up today, looking forward to it. While the tech side of the PS3 Move version might not be as impressive and having to hold controllers and wear a leg strap is a minor annoyance, I'll deal with it over the stability issues the XBOX version is having. I also hear you need a ton of space for the Kinect version to work properly. PS3 FTW!

Glad to hear about your choice ! It might be (like you said) also a bit annoying to switch often the leg strap between legs (depends strongly on your workouts) but it's not that bad if you know how to use it properly. Regarding to the kinect space problem - I have about 2.0m x 2.5m room for it and it seems to be enough.

(A bit off topic, it is a shame the Move doesn't seem to be all that popular and considered to be a Wii rip off. I had a Wii, but once I got the move, the Wii became obsolete.)

I fully support your statement! :) I'm very glad that I bought it and hope to see more good games near future like sports champions, ufc, etc.

Picked it up, did my first workout and am very impressed. I had a great time. So this for all those people who can find nothing at all on the PS3 version, like I couldn't. It is worth it. No problems with it at all. Missed only about 1-2 reps per exercise, had no freezing problems or camera view problems.

Like I predicted, the leg strap is a bit of an annoyance, but is easy to deal with. Yes, you could cheat and just do the motion, but again, why would you do that with a fitness game? If you did that you would be wasting your time and money.

I would even go as far and say if you have the Kinect version and dealing with all those bug issues and you have a PS3 with Move, I would suggest trading it in for the move version. It is just as effective without all the bugs.

Appreciate the input, Matix. Maybe we can do the multiplayer sometime.