I played over 30 hours now

Game Geek

According to the game file, it is 30hrs. But actually, because i got killed a lot, so, the real game timing is much more.

So, what i want to say is, I am so bored.:(

Quest repeat and repeat for messenger's task. Conversation simply kind of noise and i press XXXXX to get them over. No story at all actually.

And even worse, I get headache now everyday because of the motion of this game. :mad:

According to the game file, it is 30hrs. But actually, because i got killed a lot, so, the real game timing is much more.

So, what i want to say is, I am so bored.:(

Quest repeat and repeat for messenger's task. Conversation simply kind of noise and i press XXXXX to get them over. No story at all actually.

And even worse, I get headache now everyday because of the motion of this game. :mad:

Yeah, I feel you. When I was playing that blur when running around the place gave me a few headaches. It also does not help the game gets repetitive when going cave hunting and you can killed a lot even with full-health just running around the place and not knowing what is around a corner. So saving often is always a good idea.

There is a way to turn off "motion blur" in the console as I read on GameFaqs. However I have not tested if it really disables trophies since the console also allow access to input cheats which will disable them.

Well, this IMO is because of the decline of the RPG. It seems they've all pretty much converted to an MMO style gameplay, which I enjoy alot, but does get VERY repeatative and boring at times. The lack of variety of gameplay in RPG's has left me sad with this current generation. I miss my turn based rpg's, FFXIII was great, but it was so linear I just wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. Best I've played so far was Faery: Legends of Avalon, but I didnt' like the setting, it was stupid easy and really short. Since all the trophies can be earned in a single playthrough, it just made it really unimpressive, even though, I thought, it had the best turn-based combat system of any current RPG available today. Oh yeah, and it ended leading into a sequel that never happened.

All of this is why I'm sticking to FF for my future RPGs. Even if the gameplay of one isn't that great, the next one is a totally different game so its all good.

I really wanted to like this game, but couldnt get into it. I played for about 4 hours and just didnt want to continue. the game was just too clunky and confusing. i didnt know which way to go for quest, and i generally love playing RPG's and there arent many to choose from.

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/blevensp.png

Edited by blevensp1

I finished chapter 3 now. Chapter is much better compared with the previous. This is because the whole chapter was outdoor, lesser street running, lesser headache, lesser messenger-quest. But of course, it was much shorter.:o

So, let's see what happened in chapter 4. As usual, the first encountered thug is much stronger than the boss i met. :think:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, this IMO is because of the decline of the RPG. It seems they've all pretty much converted to an MMO style gameplay, which I enjoy alot, but does get VERY repeatative and boring at times. The lack of variety of gameplay in RPG's has left me sad with this current generation. I miss my turn based rpg's, FFXIII was great, but it was so linear I just wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. Best I've played so far was Faery: Legends of Avalon, but I didnt' like the setting, it was stupid easy and really short. Since all the trophies can be earned in a single playthrough, it just made it really unimpressive, even though, I thought, it had the best turn-based combat system of any current RPG available today. Oh yeah, and it ended leading into a sequel that never happened.

All of this is why I'm sticking to FF for my future RPGs. Even if the gameplay of one isn't that great, the next one is a totally different game so its all good.

:applause:

Gone are the days of Grandia, Suikoden, Final Fantasy (1 through 10) and games like the legend of dragoon.

Sony should really consider trying to sweeten the pot on the developers of these games to add trophy data to them and get them on PSN. i would definatley pay for them again (even though i have the disc versions) just to collect some trophy data to add a bit of spice to them.

I remember when i used to have a fully complete FFVII save with about 2 trillion of each mastered materia on my memory card and take it round my mates just to boast my awesomeness :whistle:

Or even better! I remember getting my mates round on weekends for a few beers and just racking up some hours on good ol' fashioned multi-player rpgs like Baulders Gate DA. Nothing beat it i swear, arguing over who got what loot and the whole "tell you what, this item is yours the next is mine and so on" was great. you just dont get that kind of fun in an MMO.

How sad i used to be lol.

Developers are just waaaaay too interested in "Real-time" RPG and to be truthful, Oblivion was utter shite! Great Graphics, Great combat but i hated the whole "quick! an oblivion gate has opened!" "alright my friend i will stop this demon horde!" and then two seconds later "quick! an oblicion gate has opened!"

I understand that there are millions of people who will no doubt argue my point but to be honest, i got bored very quickly with oblivion and i doubt i'll be getting Skyrium or however it's spelt lol.

• 1 month later...

I had a headache after the prologue. I don't even know where to begin. I'm getting another headache just thinking about it. This is definitely not the RPGs that I was brought up on. The story is just so.. blah.. and the voice acting is just so.. blah.. I'd rather just have text honestly. Everything about this game seems simple. There's even a nice icon on the map to run to for everything.

I miss the days of Dragon Warrior 1-4. Back when you needed a brain to play an RPG and not just the ability to follow a blinking icon on the map and spam attack (auto targeting attack at that). I mean if you're going to make targeting automatic why even bother keeping the free movement in combat. Just make it turn-based at that point, and keep the whole strategy element of the RPG alive at least. Just saying.

Gone are the days of Grandia, Suikoden, Final Fantasy (1 through 10) and games like the legend of dragoon.

Sony should really consider trying to sweeten the pot on the developers of these games to add trophy data to them and get them on PSN. i would definatley pay for them again (even though i have the disc versions) just to collect some trophy data to add a bit of spice to them.

I can't believe people actually like this game. It's not the worst RPG I've played, but easily one of the most disappointing.

I do agree with your late sentiment, though. I played Suikoden II recently, and wondered "Wow - this game would be awesome with trophies." A trophy for getting to the end of Clive's quest, AND getting the best ending simultaneously? That would be worth working for.

I feel like RPg players are jaded . If it aint japanese it aint a rpg , or if it aint fallout/oblivion it aint an rpg .

Me personally I like it so far . I hate how the online is crap because of the hackers, but that goes with a lot of online games not just this one . The story is not spectacular but it's not as horrid as some JRPGs have begun to get . the voice acting is cheesey and feels like im watching a B grade medevil movie lol but our protagonist is bad ass like snake plissken of rpgs (least thats how he is trying to come off to me). but that brings it a nice charm . Yes the game glitches but it's not a broken game like Fallout 3 and New Vegas . Graphics are ok , but I dare say more perverted than Jrpgs in that they actually went through the trouble of giving some of the females (like the oracle girl) permanent pokies :eek::applause: . The motion blur does get some taking used to but definitely is not that crazy you should be having headaches , seisures and vomiting :p

Just to go a bit off topic and talk about an earlier post . FF13 SUCKED . I get you may prefer turn based battles , but 13 was a piece of trash through and through . IDC how pretty the graphics were , the animations were stiff and clunky . Almost felt and looked like I was playing an hd ps2 FF . The mapping was extremely linear , lack of real exploration and interactivity (thanks to the removal of towns) . did we really need a mini map for that ?

The battle system was horrendous . I hated in 12 how there was no real uniqueness to the characters in battle , how anyone could practically be as good as anyone else using any said battle style . It's like Square read my mind and decided to annoy me personally further but again not giving individuality to battle but this time instead of lack of character now its a force to use characters . In every other class defining or character unique FF (x-2 all the way back to class era of the oldies) You could use what you want and who you want . you might struggle because of it but you could do it . 13 you had to use certain paradigms (or wtv they are called) no if ands or buts . there were some battles un winnable without changing , and definitely not platinumable without following the forced teams that square thought was best .

As for the story of the game . I have no negative or positive opinion . It painted a clearer picture than 12 did imo which is good , but it was still lacking and felt over dramatic for the sake of being "deep" . I have no qualms over love story being part of it (I think the love story aspect really shined in X ) but it just felt like 13 was struggling to find a sticking point and randomly forced snow and lightnings family love drama into parts where it just didnt make sense .

Also on a not so serious note , FF13 is racist :p . Black dude , holding two pistols side ways , with chicken nuggets popping out his fro .:bananadance:

FF13 did suck compared to some better FF games, but this game is so much worse. The only saving grace is the creative magic system. Bad story, Bad animation, bad voice acting, bad mapping, bad AI, horrible ending, sluggish controls. Should I go on? I wish I had waited til this garbage was bargain bin.

Then, on a side note. Most games that come out today labeled "RPG" are definitely not RPGs. I really hate that game designers have started trying to fuse shooters with RPG elements. It's bastardizing my genre, and I don't like it.

Gah!!! This game is on my pending plats list. I was too lazy to roam around and look for 25 dungeons :p I did try to finish the "multiplayer" adventure by myself (more like run like crazy) I was successful tho. Now I just have to do trophy clean-ups argh... the music is not that bad... but yeah I'll get around to platting this one, eventually.... :o

FF13 did suck compared to some better FF games, but this game is so much worse. The only saving grace is the creative magic system. Bad story, Bad animation, bad voice acting, bad mapping, bad AI, horrible ending, sluggish controls. Should I go on? I wish I had waited til this garbage was bargain bin.

Then, on a side note. Most games that come out today labeled "RPG" are definitely not RPGs. I really hate that game designers have started trying to fuse shooters with RPG elements. It's bastardizing my genre, and I don't like it.

I got this game for free , so maybe I dont hate it as much because I dont have buyers remorse xD .

It's bastardizing my genre . There is no more room for purist and elitist in genres today . Much like the way of cooking , gaming has become a field of fusion . RPG/shooters , Surivival/Action , Puzzle/Adventure (seriously catherine?) , etc etc . It's not a bad thing , A lot of games benefit greatly borrowing mechanics of other genres . IMO , it is only bad when the line starts to get blurred and ppl become confused (even devs with their labeling) on the genre a game really is . Ill list some examples

Fallout : RPG

Borderlands:Shooter with strong rpg elements so Shooter:Rpg

ME2/3: wheres the line ?

Mag/Cod/any other shooter with exp and level system : Still a shooter through and through but with rpg elements having become mainstays in the genre .

Or take a game like bioshock . Ihave yet to play it yet . Mainly because I have so many other games on my plate . but out of my friends that have there is a huge debate. fps ? Rpg ? Action/adv ? Each one makes valid points but without having played the game I say eitehr way .

Or red dead . I see that game as action/adventure . There are plenty of people who argue it's a third person shooter . do you make it a shooter because shooting is your form of combat ? I dont think so . Which brings us back to fallout , borderlands and ME . Are we eating italian ? or italian japanese fusion lol .

and no platinum in sight got like six trophies to go and been playing online by myself woooowwww what a pain.....Ill plat it eventually but in no hurry to do it....

Don't play online by yourself. It's a big mistake. It's not a huge online community, but if you hang around, you can usually find an uber-powerful person to play with. I wasted a lot of time playing through the first 4 online adventures solo. I got the last 3 in an evening by just waiting for good players.

As for the thread, I thought the single player game was OK. Nothing special, but imminently playable. I thought the online village was a great idea, but the online adventure sucked. There was nothing going on except for, "Run to point A, and then to point B."

I got this game for free , so maybe I dont hate it as much because I dont have buyers remorse xD .

It's bastardizing my genre . There is no more room for purist and elitist in genres today . Much like the way of cooking , gaming has become a field of fusion . RPG/shooters , Surivival/Action , Puzzle/Adventure (seriously catherine?) , etc etc . It's not a bad thing , A lot of games benefit greatly borrowing mechanics of other genres . IMO , it is only bad when the line starts to get blurred and ppl become confused (even devs with their labeling) on the genre a game really is . Ill list some examples

Fallout : RPG

Borderlands:Shooter with strong rpg elements so Shooter:Rpg

ME2/3: wheres the line ?

Mag/Cod/any other shooter with exp and level system : Still a shooter through and through but with rpg elements having become mainstays in the genre .

Or take a game like bioshock . Ihave yet to play it yet . Mainly because I have so many other games on my plate . but out of my friends that have there is a huge debate. fps ? Rpg ? Action/adv ? Each one makes valid points but without having played the game I say eitehr way .

Or red dead . I see that game as action/adventure . There are plenty of people who argue it's a third person shooter . do you make it a shooter because shooting is your form of combat ? I dont think so . Which brings us back to fallout , borderlands and ME . Are we eating italian ? or italian japanese fusion lol .

I think, rather, that there's no room in the genre for this new garbage mix genre. Let me cover your list. Fallout is not an RPG. It is a poorly made shooter that you level up in, and follow a blinking icon to finish "quests". COD are shooters that you level up in. Borderlands is a shooter that you follow a blinking icon doing "quests". Bioshock is a shooter. ME is a shooter with dialogue. Shooters are not RPGs. Just because shooters are popular with the brainless masses of video gaming today, does not mean that every other genre should or can be mixed with them. The end.

• 3 weeks later...
Shooters are not RPGs. Just because shooters are popular with the brainless masses of video gaming today, does not mean that every other genre should or can be mixed with them. The end.

I think, rather, that there's no room in the genre for this new garbage mix genre.

Ugh, another eliteist. Listen an RPG (role playing game) modern or retro does not have to involve swords and sorcery. It is simply a world where the storyline progresses via your character's actions and interactions, pure and simple. Hence you are playing a role. Add an experience system, and there you go. Also, "no room in the genre"? Really? We haven't been exactly burdened with quality "pure" titles for quite some time.

A shooter is just that, you get an assortment of guns, and a basic, linear story. Enjoy.

Fallout is not an RPG. It is a poorly made shooter that you level up in, and follow a blinking icon to finish "quests".

Wrong. Fallout involves exploration, a level up and stat/perk system, a varied, progressive storyline that depends on your actions, and can be played in third person with a melee/unarmed build. Labeling it as a shooter is misinformed to just plain wrong.

COD are shooters that you level up in.

Can't argue this one.

Borderlands is a shooter that you follow a blinking icon doing "quests".

Yep.

Bioshock is a shooter.

Again I have to disagree to call this a plain "shooter". An excellent story with multiple outcomes, "magic" type abilities w/ leveling, boss fights. It is much more than an FPS among many.

ME is a shooter with dialogue.

I doubt you'd say that about KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) which ME borrows heavily from. Again has exploration, a level up and stat system, a varied, progressive storyline that depends on your actions, multiple outcomes

I realize that alot of us are experiencing shooter burnout, but don't misrepresent RPG-style games, which if honest, are far better offerings than we've been getting from purist titles for several years now.

• 10 months later...
Ugh, another eliteist. Listen an RPG (role playing game) modern or retro does not have to involve swords and sorcery. It is simply a world where the storyline progresses via your character's actions and interactions, pure and simple. Hence you are playing a role. Add an experience system, and there you go. Also, "no room in the genre"? Really? We haven't been exactly burdened with quality "pure" titles for quite some time.

A shooter is just that, you get an assortment of guns, and a basic, linear story. Enjoy.

Wrong. Fallout involves exploration, a level up and stat/perk system, a varied, progressive storyline that depends on your actions, and can be played in third person with a melee/unarmed build. Labeling it as a shooter is misinformed to just plain wrong.

Can't argue this one.

Yep.

Again I have to disagree to call this a plain "shooter". An excellent story with multiple outcomes, "magic" type abilities w/ leveling, boss fights. It is much more than an FPS among many.

I doubt you'd say that about KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) which ME borrows heavily from. Again has exploration, a level up and stat system, a varied, progressive storyline that depends on your actions, multiple outcomes

I realize that alot of us are experiencing shooter burnout, but don't misrepresent RPG-style games, which if honest, are far better offerings than we've been getting from purist titles for several years now.

Yeah obvious that you have no real say in this matter if you think it was a 'burden' for having so many amazing games to play and a wide variety of stories in them, it was a golden age so many real rpgs being around and people who enjoyed that time are missing getting real rpgs, now adays there are almost none of them and that is a piss off for us fans of turn based games that focus on story and characters over everything else and have 100+ hour story lines. That is what we want, not things that try to be rpgs but are other games just with rpg elements

hell even deus ex never called itself a rpg when it came out ages ago, it called itself a shooter with rpg elements, so why do other games that do the same feel the need to call themselves rpgs.

I miss the golden age of rpgs from the nes to the ps3, the last great rpg made that blew me away on every level was the world ends with you.

• 1 month later...

i don't know about the rest of you but personally adding shooting and RPG (at least i feel it's an rpg type game lol) like Borderlands has actually eased me through the genre. i had bad memories of playing FF games and not having a clue what to do the whole time. :o so i like shooters. but involving a few rpg elements together with shooters has helped me find an appreciation to rpg games. :) :) where i can level up and be my own character. some multiplayer games are like that too... good luck people. thinking about buying this game for $10, hopefully i can have enough time before the developers change their minds. lol

• 7 months later...

I remember when i used to have a fully complete FFVII save with about 2 trillion of each mastered materia on my memory card and take it round my mates just to boast my awesomeness :whistle:

Or even better! I remember getting my mates round on weekends for a few beers and just racking up some hours on good ol' fashioned multi-player rpgs like Baulders Gate DA. Nothing beat it i swear, arguing over who got what loot and the whole "tell you what, this item is yours the next is mine and so on" was great. you just dont get that kind of fun in an MMO.

How sad i used to be lol.

Developers are just waaaaay too interested in "Real-time" RPG and to be truthful, Oblivion was utter shite! Great Graphics, Great combat but i hated the whole "quick! an oblivion gate has opened!" "alright my friend i will stop this demon horde!" and then two seconds later "quick! an oblicion gate has opened!"

I understand that there are millions of people who will no doubt argue my point but to be honest, i got bored very quickly with oblivion and i doubt i'll be getting Skyrium or however it's spelt lol.

Wow, legend of dragoon... Ages since I played that beauty. What a wonderful game that is! Never have I heard anyone else mention that game. Glad I'm not alone out here.

To get back on topic.. I just got this game and honestly only just played like 3 hours or so.

Aside from the visual glitches, I do like the setting so far.. even though that Orc female Darpha looks a bit unorclike to me.. :)

Anyhow, after fiddling with many options, like camera sensitivity, screen size, shadow gamma something, invert controls etc... I finally believe I can move around decently enough. However, stuff like that shouldn't be a challenge to begin with.

The battle, level up system, your blacksmithing skills etc...

It's all explained but in such minor detail that you really have to figure much out yourself.

I am only just getting a feel for this game, and it's cost me some effort.. But somewhere I am quite attached to this game as I see so many ways to play it, opportunities and experimentation.

I hope those qualities will come to shine out and make this adventure a worhty one. So far, I'm hooked anyway.

Wow, legend of dragoon... Ages since I played that beauty. What a wonderful game that is! Never have I heard anyone else mention that game. Glad I'm not alone out here.

To get back on topic.. I just got this game and honestly only just played like 3 hours or so.

Aside from the visual glitches, I do like the setting so far.. even though that Orc female Darpha looks a bit unorclike to me.. :)

Anyhow, after fiddling with many options, like camera sensitivity, screen size, shadow gamma something, invert controls etc... I finally believe I can move around decently enough. However, stuff like that shouldn't be a challenge to begin with.

The battle, level up system, your blacksmithing skills etc...

It's all explained but in such minor detail that you really have to figure much out yourself.

I am only just getting a feel for this game, and it's cost me some effort.. But somewhere I am quite attached to this game as I see so many ways to play it, opportunities and experimentation.

I hope those qualities will come to shine out and make this adventure a worhty one. So far, I'm hooked anyway.

I personally couldn't stand the controls lol the left stick is so sensitive to movement, makes opening chests and looting enemies more difficult at times. since you have to stand perfectly still.

• 1 month later...

I really really liked this game. I know alot of people didn't but I liked it as much as Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins and Demon Souls. There is a story.

I remember the first two chapters were kinda boring (even though it kinda reminded me of zelda in the beginning with the dungeon with little gear and then out in a limited free world...and **SPOILERS**

the ending reminded me of Zelda too with the main character and the girl.)