MY COMPLAINT TO DAVID JAFFE (developer of TM)

lewis1992

I thought this conversation between me and lead developer David Jaffe on Twitter last week may be interesting to some people:

(Regarding trophies...)

Jaffe: all I can do is tell them about it. And I'm happy to do so and sorry the trophies are not working for some.

Me: SOME? The online trophies aren't unlocking for MOST players. Players are also annoyed that very MINOR issues were fixed BEFORE trophies. Like time spent making a "T" on HUD for Talon when trophies are broken :(

Jaffe: A)-To me, the 't' matters way more. B ) I am telling you what Sony tells me when I bring it up. I have no way of tracking and when you throw in that some players are not getting trophies cause of our poorly worded descriptors vs. the genuine trophy bugs,it becomes even more difficult to know how widespread the issue is. And with the net giving the effected players voice, a forum with 100 complaints may seem like a huge issue but out of 500,000+players, it is a small failure rate. Does not mean it should not get solved. Clearly,if a SINGLE customer is sold a product that does not perform to their satisfaction it is a huge issue and I do hope next patch solves it. But again, all I can do on this end is keep passing on the word to SONY and small team at ESP that remain on the title.

Me: Thanks for replying and for passing things on. Adding the "T" for Talon was just an example - many TM players really aren't happy that time is being spent tweaking vehicles values "obsessively" when a core element of the game (i.e. trophies) is still broken (for many ppl). Whether you like trophies or not, they are still part of the game itself and should be regarded as high priority in my opinion. Once again, thank you for everything!!

Jaffe: I hear u and frankly- big or small item- everything a game ships with should work. I assure you, whether I like trophies or not (depends on the game, really :)- they are in the game so they should fucking work. Period. Sorry they are not working for some players (YMMV on your definition of 'some', of course :)...

Me: Brilliant answer. Exactly why I follow you on Twitter! I'm honoured you've replied & thanks again for everything!!

I AM quite chuffed that Jaffe actually replied to me at last (I've contacted him about various issues dozens of times). This basically tells us that while Jaffe is annoyed that part of the game is broken, he doesn't believe it is affecting many players, and believes that tweaking elements of the game like Talon is much more important. Thoughts?

I just want to get back to playing this game online... and I won't be doing that until it is fixed. I don't care if they have to restart the entire online stats, I would much rather them do that and work for sure than try something and have it fail again.

Im with you dude, rather a reset and they will 100% work... sure it be a pain to boost again, but worth it if we get the trophies we deserve!

As for the conversation, sounds like an excuse to avoid the subject at hand since im guessing the remaining team thats working on the patch I can imagine is in a tiny box room full of chimps with more poop on the wall than development on the patch :)

Im with you dude, rather a reset and they will 100% work... sure it be a pain to boost again, but worth it if we get the trophies we deserve!

As for the conversation, sounds like an excuse to avoid the subject at hand since im guessing the remaining team thats working on the patch I can imagine is in a tiny box room full of chimps with more poop on the wall than development on the patch :)

Man not to bad to boost either man I've been doing it and I got probably half the kills in matches and half boosting. The boosting goes pretty quick about 20-30 kills a match. Only thing I would be pissed about redoing is 50 kills in each vehicle as I achieved most of these legit. I just wish they would make whatever it is that makes a trophy unlock read the stats page, but that might not be possible as it has something to do with ones gamesave.

As much as I'd like the trophies to pop, I think the connections are a bigger issues, I still can't connect to 90% of the rooms without getting a freaking error. I'd be perfectly fine if they ironed out the connection stuff and maybe added some kind of trophy progression tracker so we could see what's working and what's not.

Why do people keep going on about resetting online stats? Game stats are recorded on your PS3 and have NOTHING to do with reading online stats. That's what the game save data is for. But it's corrupt.

I know dude, just its possible they may do a reset of the online ones recorded so when we "Refresh Stats" the game stats will upload to the online ones and the trophy will notice that XXXX criteria has been met for XX trophy and pop... similar to how the Killzone 3 Multiplayer stats work... sure their stats are fully online stored, something this game lacked...

Any news yet? Been a week since we really heard from Jaffe?

• 3 weeks later...
I know dude, just its possible they may do a reset of the online ones recorded so when we "Refresh Stats" the game stats will upload to the online ones and the trophy will notice that XXXX criteria has been met for XX trophy and pop... similar to how the Killzone 3 Multiplayer stats work... sure their stats are fully online stored, something this game lacked...

Any news yet? Been a week since we really heard from Jaffe?

Now THAT would be good! :)

I just check Jaffe's Twitter page almost every day as part of my "routine" when I go on the computer - something I've been doing for months. It's ridiculous. Shame only 1 in 20 of his posts are about Twisted Metal, so it makes it difficult.

As for the August 3rd patch, it is now August 5th with no patch hit. I'm not shocked at all.

Now THAT would be good! :)

I just check Jaffe's Twitter page almost every day as part of my "routine" when I go on the computer - something I've been doing for months. It's ridiculous. Shame only 1 in 20 of his posts are about Twisted Metal, so it makes it difficult.

As for the August 3rd patch, it is now August 5th with no patch hit. I'm not shocked at all.

I must thankyou for checking his Twitter... I did myself but with him being American and so up in the politics field, it kind of makes me confused to read someone complain about someone who doesn't forfill something he promised... hmmm sounds like someone else :whistle:

Yup August 5th... ridiculous... my last Trophy was April, 4 months waiting for a bloody patch! :fire:

• 6 months later...

Jaffe is so full of crap! 500K users online?!!! Ha! BS! At its height there were maybe 10k playing it during the initial month and just about none of them were actually able to play it online due to no matchmaking and a broken and archaic room host online system that didn't get fixed for the three months that I gave this game before I gave up in utter disgust.

• 1 year later...

My reply to him would be shame on you Jaffe for knowingly putting out garbage and calling it a masterpiece! This is by far the worst TM every made, and I'm adding in 3 and 4 into that! 3 characters!? And for what so you could focus on a better storyline for them? Bullcrap! Their stories aren't any better than any ending told in a TM already, dollfaces is actually worse than it was in black. Sweetooths is an old tales from the crypt episode and mr grimms is practically Ghost Riders origin. Then throw in poorly balanced interchangeable cars (cause it just feels wrong to put sweet tooth in anything other than the ice cream truck), levels that are mostly rehashed from previous titles, broken servers for MP, trophies not popping, sub-par graphics, terrible acting, and unanswered questions (like why is sweet tooth's head on fire in this one seeing as your starting fresh.) the only thing I found cool in this game was calypsos trophy wall. To see twisters fossilized helmet or no faces boxing glove or sweet tooth paper bag friend to give a nod to 1 2 and black put a smile on my face, but sadly only for the short time you see them then it was back to the crapfest. You now rank up there with Warren Spector for epic mickey 2. Well done.